Looking the next ride - MDX vs ZDX - What features for 2011 will make you go for MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking the next ride - MDX vs ZDX - What features for 2011 will make you go for MDX?

I currently have an 06 RL and looking for more trunk space and a higher ride to ease occassional back pain... I'm leaning towards the ZDX as it offers the least that I would give up coming from the RL. So I was thinking what features would the 2011 MDX need to make me change my mind...

So far, I can think of Keyless Access and Starting (used to keeping the key in my pocket). Maybe the addition of the heated and cooled seats to the Tech Package.

Definitely have to see the ZDX to see what the back seat discussion really is all about... I usually drive by myself during the week but have relatives around often. All of them are smaller than me (I'm 6'2").

What does everyone think?

(sorry for the error in the title... I meant to say "Looking FOR the next ride..."

Last edited by jjtags; 05-16-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Fix grammar error in title
Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The back seat entry of the ZDX is only good if you're well under 5'. My wife is 5'2" and she hit her head trying to get in. I personally think they should have went with a wagon instead. It would be easier to get into the back seats, more cargo space, and not force customers to go to a SUV or even other manufacturer. That's just my $.02, not worth much.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Before I buy a 2011 MDX I will check out the iPhone compatibility issue to see if it has been fixed.

Than I will see if the sub woofer can keep up with the music when set to 30 and above. My 2009 does not have enough power to keep up when louder.

Than I want to see if the Acura Link is actually working yet. I still feel they owe me an adjustment for pushing a feature that does not work.

And next to last I want more NOT less engine power. I like 14 mpg with 300 horsepower.

Last if the seat heater switches have not teched up I am looking at BMW and Lexus next year. This is my third MDX and I am ready for better electronics.

Oh Did I mention I want the button start switch. It is cool that what ever door my son approaches unlocks automatically on his LEX. And his seats have heat and cool options not Hi-Lo heat.

My Keyfob is an outrage of stupidity complete with the switchblade button that opens when you don't want it to. And the need to know morse code to open the tailgate? How about 3 seconds continuous push of the button not 2 unlocks than the tailgate button and maybe it will eventually open. As to the switchkey, I glued the key in with silicone glue. I use the standalone key to run the car for now...

Last edited by billman730; 05-17-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: words
Old 05-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a ZDX and can tell you it is an amazing car. I have the tech package but coming from a MDX if you decide on a ZDX I would tell you to check into the Advanced package for the heated/cooled seats and the ability to change your ride settings from sport to lux. the keyless system works even better than my 08 Lexus GS350.

The back seats - Yes you have to bend a little more if your 6+ feet to get in the back seats of the ZDX and it is more of a 2 seater. Seriously its the same bending it would take to get in and out of the back seats of the Lexus GS.

Whatever you decide.. I would recommend you go drive a ZDX before you do anything. At least give it that much of a chance. Im guessing your going to be amazed at how it drives. I know I was.

Good luck !!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Cruisin'

They are two totally different vehicles. For me the ZDX offers nothing. While my wife wanted a car smaller than the MDX we traded, we still needed a useable back seat.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by billman730
Oh Did I mention I want the button start switch.
I'm with you on this one. The TL SH-AWD Tech has the push button start so why doesn't the MDX?
Although cooled seats would be nice, I'd really like to be able to just have the back of the seat heated. I should just look under the seat and see if I can disconnect the bottom heater. In Hawaii, you really don't need your dernier heated, even in the winter.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM
THƎSƎ HOPƎFUL MACHINƎS

For me (6'5"), the ZDX was only an attractive option until I sat in one. My head hits the headliner irrespective of seat position adjustments. I had enough of that with my CL previous to my MDX.

One of the best things about my MDX is the ability for me to sit up straight and enjoy tons of headroom and a great view of the road.

I'll definitely update in 2012 to the new MDX assuming Acura has done a reasonably good job keeping up with the technology packages offered by other manufacturers. If the advances between the 2009 and the 2010 are any indication, I think that will be no problem.

As for push-button start, it's not a huge issue to me. I'd probably feel different if I had it, then lost it, but I've never had it so it doesn't matter much to me. Either way, by 2012 I'd imagine the MDX will offer it.