Reliability, making the car last, and tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Boeing/Airbus Jetliners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reliability, making the car last, and tranny

Yes I know, another transmission question. BUT, my 2001 CL-S has been so good to me, bought new in 2001 and currently have 168,500 miles on it without any problems other than routine maintenance. Did the timing belt, water pump and spark plugs at 108k miles. I have changed the transmission fluid drain and refill every 30k miles til 100k, and then every 15k miles after I passed the 100k mark.

I am just trying to make this car last, while I save up money for down payments for a house.

I know the transmission was replaced at some point early in the car's life as a recall. It was not causing any problems -the dealer just replaced it when I went for a routine oil change.

How do I know what "kind" of tranny this is? I am trying to dig up the service records -I heard if it was done after Feb 2005, it should be good? Am I looking for blue bolts and what does that mean? Should I check to see if it has a oil-jet kit installed?

(My car's engine has even been hydrolocked!, cousin drove through standing water with an AEM intake and the engine came back to life after flushing with oil and tranny fluids at the dealer, at around 95k)
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Boeing/Airbus Jetliners

Here is a repair invoice dated 5/23/05 during recall, inspected trans and found it to be damaged and replaced with warranty A/T kit and part #

Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
its true- acura warranty rebuilts have blue painted bolt heads'
look at end of trans from underneath- the main bolts that go thru trans-blue

the new case design in 05 can be determined by looking at the top of the trans at filler hole
If you have a large bolt marked ATF on it- thats the new case
If you have an external oil jet kit in that hole instead, you have a pre 05 change trans

or call acura 1-800-382-2238 x5 register as owner, need car vin- they can tell you when trans was done
As for why the transmission was replaced in the first place, if you didn't report any abnormal behaviors to the dealer, it's a good bet that your technician looked for and found evidence of the second gear shaft issue since the campaign for that began just a few months before.

Last edited by ASpirational; 08-21-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You're not still using Honda ATF-Z1 fluid, are you?
I chose to buy a 12 qt pack of Amsoil universal ATF, but these days there are other ATF's out there. I have a note to try Castrol Transmax (but don't remember why...)
Old 09-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I wouldn't really put TOO much confidence in any auto trans made after 05. I had mine replaced under warranty after they checked it for the 2nd gear issue. The replacement died after 17,000 miles. I realize we get duds once in a while, but I've still read plenty here on the forums from others saying the tranny's still have issues.
That being said, it sounds like you're treating your car really well.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced

I thought I would like to repost a more informative response. After reading some on the forums, I ventured into the "*** Official 2nd Gen CL Information Thread ***"and read into this thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-transmission-recall-q-55/summary-very-long-whats-wrong-auto-tranny-440072/) detailing what is wrong with the 2nd Gen CL transmission. I haven't read the entire first post, but from what I can discern from many of the following posts, there's an overheating-ish issue with the 3rd gear clutch pack in the 5 spd caused by full throttle up shifts from 2-3 and "kickdown" downshifts from 3-2 (jamming on the throttle so the transmission shifts from 3rd to 2nd for faster acceleration).

Some users suggest that general and frequent 2-3 and 3-2 shifting in traffic is more wearing on the transmission and that they lock the transmission in 2nd gear for stop and go/low speeds by moving the shifter into the "2" position.

Further reading seems to indicate that there were quality issues with both Japanese and U.S. made 3rd gear clutch plates which caused the issues. There seems to be issues with these clutches wearing quickly, and also overheating. Acura's own tests generated up to 400 degrees C in many third gear clutch packs despite the overall transmission fluid being at a "normal" temperature. There are other indications of failure elsewhere in the transmission. A quote from the thread author is as follows: "There are “Disassembly Analysis Results” of various transmissions with VIN numbers and build dates.

In general, the gears were in good shape, but the third clutch-burning problem was considered a “root cause of failure.” The clutch failure (third gear clutch pack) caused friction material to clog the ATF strainer causing it to fail, and allowed contamination to enter the hydraulic control circuits (OUCH!)

Some of the models had other types of failures (or discoloration and or heat damage) and forth and fifth clutch packs were also found to be worn. (Some other data indicated that once third went, the other clutch packs would start to “fry”). A note about one of the trannies that had been brought in before slipping was too bad, had 1,2,4,5 clutch packs in A1/A2 shape (very good condition)."

Essentially, the 3rd gear clutch pack has a tendency to overheat during hard 2-3 and 3-2 shifting. Debris worn off of the 3rd gear clutch pack seems to have a chance of contaminating the rest of the transmission and producing excess wear on other parts of the transmission.

A quote from within the large post made by the thread starter doing the investigation on transmission longevity is as follows: "EricL suggestion: Try and minimize the WOT (or even 80% WOT) upshift and downshift operation. If you think you are going to “hunt” for a gear in “maniac mode” during heavy traffic, try to stick with one gear (second or third gear using SS) and STAY OFF THE REPEATED UPSHIFT from 2-3. This is only a humble suggestion that will waste gas in traffic, but it seems rather clear from the graphs that the temps and clutch pack loads are getting a beating during shifts. (Only my opinion and YMMV)"

Too Long, Didn't Read: The third gear clutch pack in the 5 spd can overheat and wear out from full/high throttle 2-3 and 3-2 shifting. Minimizing the amount of 2-3 and 3-2 shifts (especially under high throttle) your transmission does may help improve it's longevity. Keep in mind that if you use the Sport Shift mode to stay in 2nd gear longer instead of letting the trans upshift into 3rd you may experience reduced fuel mileage, but may be saving wear on your transmission.

It makes sense that would be the area of the transmission that is most likely to fail. 2nd and 3rd gear are pretty much the workhorses of our (and most) transmissions in day to day driving. Especially with how short first gear is and how eager the 5 spd is to get out of first and into second. However, this isn't the "end all" advice of our transmissions. My 2nd transmission died going into 2nd after I pulled away from a stop sign. Luckily I wasn't far from home and was able to baby my car to my house in 1st gear.

I am not an expert in these matters, this is just what I have been able to discern from reading that thread I linked. Use your own common sense and if you feel up to it, really read in depth the entire first post of that thread and make your own conclusions. I hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
LoeyD (02-22-2014)
Old 09-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Acidicheartburn
I wouldn't really put TOO much confidence in any auto trans made after 05. I had mine replaced under warranty after they checked it for the 2nd gear issue. The replacement died after 17,000 miles. I realize we get duds once in a while, but I've still read plenty here on the forums from others saying the tranny's still have issues.
That being said, it sounds like you're treating your car really well.

I believe "most" of the trannies made after Feb or March 2005 were fairly strong. There were always trannies that failed shortly after, and these probably had defects in manufacturing (since these were all remanufactured).

So most of the "bad" post 2005 trannies would fail shortly after, as evidenced by your 17,000 miles.

Most of them however, were reliable and made it to well over 100,000 miles, like the OP.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Giant Blue Car

Received 161 Likes on 125 Posts
Boeing747, I think you are already doing a great job at keeping your little gorgeous going!

I had my tranny rebuilt two months ago, and my third clutch pack was burnt and the internal filter was laced with metal shavings!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if and when my car has/was serviced for the recall; I bought it in 2008 and never knew about the recall. I was at ~189,000 when I got the "triad of death" lights, but I only noticed intermittent and mild slippage after the lights came on.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced

How much did getting your transmission rebuilt cost? If it's cheaper than a new one I'd love to know where and how to get this done. As it stands, if my trans goes again I think I'll have to get rid of my car, and I want to avoid that as much as possible.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,462 Likes on 3,056 Posts
Start saving for a trans rebuild now, mine cost $2800
Old 09-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Giant Blue Car

Received 161 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Acidicheartburn
How much did getting your transmission rebuilt cost? If it's cheaper than a new one I'd love to know where and how to get this done. As it stands, if my trans goes again I think I'll have to get rid of my car, and I want to avoid that as much as possible.
My rebuild was $3500...the case and sprag were jacked up too....
Old 09-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Even at $2800, that's pretty much half the value of my car. I don't think it would be worth keeping the car. It's a tough decision, when my car goes it'll be even lower value, but a new used car is still going to cost me 10 grand or there abouts.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (09-30-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Then just drop in a used one from the salvage yard and sell it.
I'm not planning on selling my car anytime soon. I have a 06 oddy transmission in my garage with 40k miles on it. Bought for 800 bucks and will swap it in when my current tranny goes.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Advanced

Aren't the gear ratios going to be different on the Oddy trans? I wouldn't want to muck up the acceleration on my car.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Nope, been done lots of times on here before.
Look through this big thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-problems-fixes-70/another-solution-my-auto-cl-guys-758220/