3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An eye opening experience-changing plugs at 100k...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
An eye opening experience-changing plugs at 100k...

Hey there, we had an amazing improvement in throttle response and power by doing just a little extra maintenance on our TSX...I know now more than ever maintenance is key to having a fun and reliable car!

Check out what I did here:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=849

And the results of my excitement came with the unveiling of a completely new maintenance plan based on real world needs of the car, not the penny pinching mentality provided by manufacturer maintenance standards! The HT-Spec maintenance schedule is almost done...we'll be announcing it as soon as it is!

Marcus
Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Oh man, I can't believe you're using a K&N filter. You're ruining your car....:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...wpost&t=695764
Old 12-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Eh, right...K&N is right up there with Unorthodox Racing and billet pulleys, correct?

As much as I respect I Hate Cars, I would like to see the tests supporting the claims there. I got a major kick in the ass doing these two simple maintenance items.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
I'm so happy you did this write-up. A kid with a 1st gen CL-V6 is being sluggish and revving up/down at idle (ISACV) but im def linking this to his thread as I told him it prob needs simple tune-up too as he just bought and doesn't know anything that could have been done previous to his purchase.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I item I want to mention is that anti-seize solution, in moderation, should be used on all the spark plug threads. It's not the exposure to the environment that can cause the possibility of seizure; it's just the environment that the plugs see. There are pros and cons on using the anti seize solution, but if used in moderation and placed on just the threads, no problem will be seen with conductivity or torque values and it is recommended in the Acura FSM.
These plugs will last quite a long time and with modern electronics it's unusual to feel any difference when the plugs are replaced, unless there was a misfire prior to replacement.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
had the spark plugs and the filters replaced when my 06 had about 110,000 miles. Also had the usual oil/filter change, tire rotation/balance, the power steering recall done and had the wipers replaced per the TSB. Cost me less than $100.00.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Hell of a price, the plugs are $75, $12+ each.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Turbo nut, nobody said the plugs don't last a long time, but they definitely don't perform very well after you get up into 70-80k. If you are running up to 100k and not feeling any difference at the change I'd say you either aren't very sensitive to it or are doing something else in your driving to make them last longer. Every "100k mile plug" car I've owned has seen a significant improvement in drivability and efficiency. I got almost 10% gain in mpg on my MDX, for example, and we changed those plugs at 80xxx miles.

I am recommending a plug change at 60k mile intervals.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared

I really got under your skin lol.

The changes are likely due to getting the 100,000 mile plugs out of there.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Turbo nut, nobody said the plugs don't last a long time, but they definitely don't perform very well after you get up into 70-80k. If you are running up to 100k and not feeling any difference at the change I'd say you either aren't very sensitive to it or are doing something else in your driving to make them last longer. Every "100k mile plug" car I've owned has seen a significant improvement in drivability and efficiency. I got almost 10% gain in mpg on my MDX, for example, and we changed those plugs at 80xxx miles.

That's basically been my experience. The stock plugs will still fire up to 100K but the engine won't be running it's best.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:48 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbonut
I item I want to mention is that anti-seize solution, in moderation, should be used on all the spark plug threads. It's not the exposure to the environment that can cause the possibility of seizure; it's just the environment that the plugs see. There are pros and cons on using the anti seize solution, but if used in moderation and placed on just the threads, no problem will be seen with conductivity or torque values and it is recommended in the Acura FSM.
These plugs will last quite a long time and with modern electronics it's unusual to feel any difference when the plugs are replaced, unless there was a misfire prior to replacement.
in moderation is key, too much and you will probably it a waste of money to start with, and too little is kinda pointless

as far as a total misfire, not totally true (it can be a partial burn/misfire also), but yes more apparent, and there are times the ECU will not even pick up a misfire, but you sure as hell can feel it though, especially an idle misfire, where misfires are not really monitored

, but i would say in the 90k range for cost effectiveness to performance, and it's before the plugs start to really stick into the heads too (but yes the point is they should be changed early to maintain performance, because the stock recommendations are pushing the plugs to the limit as far as life goes)
Old 01-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Team Owner

I honestly would have gone with what turbonut had said if I didn't experience it myself. I would have thought it would take a total misfire to make any difference.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest screw up in the maintenance schedule is the transmission. Z1 simply isn't good enough to go the recommended service interval. My car was brand new and the shift qualiity started to degrade significantly at 15k miles. My car is a daily driver, and isn't tracked either.

I would say 30k miles MAX if you are using Z1, then do a full 3x3.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BradE
The biggest screw up in the maintenance schedule is the transmission. Z1 simply isn't good enough to go the recommended service interval. My car was brand new and the shift qualiity started to degrade significantly at 15k miles. My car is a daily driver, and isn't tracked either.

Fully agreed. I recommended Z1 on here when I first registered because I believed all the stories about imminent trans failure if you switched. Then I found out Z1 is loaded with FM and is a grp II dino oil so I made the switch. At 20,000 miles with no track days, bone stock, and mostly freeway miles, the factory fill was nasty.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I honestly would have gone with what turbonut had said if I didn't experience it myself. I would have thought it would take a total misfire to make any difference.

This is from the NGK site:

FAQs - Spark Plugs
Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?
A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.
Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.
When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

This is from the NGK site:

FAQs - Spark Plugs
Q: How much of a performance improvement can I expect from changing plugs?
A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.
Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer cars' engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.
When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.
You know, my head is still a little screwed up from last night lol. The only difference I saw was a better cold idle which could translate into better tip-in throttle response. I did not mean to imply that I picked up hp from it. It's possible I picked up something but in a 3,500lb car it would take nearly 30hp to feel it and that's not happening.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by BradE

they do that to maintain a lower maintenance cost for the original owners, and it looks cheaper to maintain while still under warranty

i would say 30k changes normally, but that first initial one is critical, just like changing engine oil at like 50, 500, and 1000 miles, to help clean out all the shit from building it and break-in

edit: WTF I Hate Cars, just got banned

Last edited by friesm2000; 01-01-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

You know, my head is still a little screwed up from last night lol.
At least you had a good time, if you can remember!!!!
Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 PM
2011 CR-Z EX 6spd Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just motivated me to do the plugs on my TL (currently at 98k). I got spoiled having to change the plugs on our Element and Civic though, the TL is a completely different beast!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by tamadrumr88
You just motivated me to do the plugs on my TL (currently at 98k). I got spoiled having to change the plugs on our Element and Civic though, the TL is a completely different beast!
not really, the J series V6 are actually quite easy, some engines you gotta remove the upper intake manifold, in order to access them (some you can work around, but a pain in the ass though)
Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts

Oh great, IHC got the banhammer dropped on him? C'mon mods, can't you bring him back on a probation after a cool off period? He does help a lot of people on here.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
Oh great, IHC got the banhammer dropped on him? C'mon mods, can't you bring him back on a probation after a cool off period? He does help a lot of people on here.
Both Ihc and nfn got temp 3-day bans (along with a couple of newer members).
They can come back on Monday, IIRC.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

RE: transmission fluid, check out this latest Pitboard posting on the switch Honda just made from ATF Z1 to DW1: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=875

RE: Spark plugs. Honestly, I don't care what anyone else says here. I have had 3 cars now drive significantly better having changed iridium plugs after the 60,000 mile marker, bit J and K series. We know we felt an improvement, large or small is all relative to the driver. To me, a small improvement in the face of all the electronic gadgetry in the engine means that the improvement is significant.

You know, I wanted to dyno the car before and after the change and didn't thinking I was going to be doing an overkill test. Now, I wish I had!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:00 PM
B A N N E D

RE: transmission fluid, check out this latest Pitboard posting on the switch Honda just made from ATF Z1 to DW1: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=875

RE: Spark plugs. Honestly, I don't care what anyone else says here. I have had 3 cars now drive significantly better having changed iridium plugs after the 60,000 mile marker, bit J and K series. We know we felt an improvement, large or small is all relative to the driver. To me, a small improvement in the face of all the electronic gadgetry in the engine means that the improvement is significant.

You know, I wanted to dyno the car before and after the change and didn't thinking I was going to be doing an overkill test. Now, I wish I had!
actually i think they are the exact same plugs on alot of our cars (i know the J32A2 has the same ones as some of the K's)

but as far as the electronic gadgetry, it can cover up alot of driveability issues, but it cannot cover some of the most basic fundamentals, (IE: worn plugs)

but as far as the earlier change intervals, i think that is agreed upon, maybe just not the mileage though...
Old 01-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Just to add a little fuel to the fire, my fault, but I didn't change the OE plugs in the daughter's Maxima until 142,000 miles, no problems in driveabilty or fuel mileage noticed before the change, no difference after the change and they really didn't look that bad.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Will Y.
I thought it was a perma-ban. I'll admit, IHC does have a bit of a temper, and people tend to capitalize on that, but he never draws first blood.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Just to add a little fuel to the fire, my fault, but I didn't change the OE plugs in the daughter's Maxima until 142,000 miles, no problems in driveabilty or fuel mileage noticed before the change, no difference after the change and they really didn't look that bad.
I'm at 68k on my plugs and am in no rush to change them anytime soon, and I'm pretty big on performance.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with you, dont waste your time with the "penny pinching" mentality on this site, I feel so many people have a negative attitude towards maintenance for their cars and love to knock people like us who can appreciate and feel maintenance does have some affect on performance and drivability, maybe caues their cheap?, either way its sad cause so many of them will spend money on light up acura emblems but wont invest the money to replace plugs a little early just to help refresh them and get new ones in.
The following users liked this post:
ChristianRE (06-24-2019)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

great write up by the way... I also feel maintenance is all about "preserving what you have" and keeping the car running in tip top shape...... very refreshing to see a positive attitude on this forum for a change when it comes to these things for your car sooner then the suggested intervals to keep the performance.

I salute you
The following users liked this post:
ChristianRE (06-24-2019)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by anx1300c
I'm at 68k on my plugs and am in no rush to change them anytime soon, and I'm pretty big on performance.
Surprising that from the looks of your signature quickly calculating the money you spend on mods is in the thousand plus range, yet you wont spend 40 to help keep your car running as it did when you rolled her off the show room???//

Interesting theory........
Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by OntheJob
I agree with you, dont waste your time with the "penny pinching" mentality on this site, I feel so many people have a negative attitude towards maintenance for their cars and love to knock people like us who can appreciate and feel maintenance does have some affect on performance and drivability, maybe caues their cheap?, either way its sad cause so many of them will spend money on light up acura emblems but wont invest the money to replace plugs a little early just to help refresh them and get new ones in.
but SHINY (and lightup) always WINS though lol
Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
B A N N E D

Surprising that from the looks of your signature quickly calculating the money you spend on mods is in the thousand plus range, yet you wont spend 40 to help keep your car running as it did when you rolled her off the show room???//

Interesting theory........
plugs are a little more then that (plus labor if you do not do it yourself)

and it would be about 1000 miles when in tip-top shape, almost every engine gets better with a little bit of a break-in period
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
Looks like the K&N thread got quite hot...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I have no desire or knowledge to do the maintenance on my tsx. I do know how to check the oil, tire pressure and can change a flat tire. I also try to hand wash it when possible. Since I am the main driver of the 06 tsx I have all the service done by a acura dealer I trust and think is excellent. Must be doing something right after 118,000+problem free miles still with the original brakes and 100% stock.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

That’s quite an interesting theory as you don't even know me, nor have a clue, or proof of what you're stating. I at least listed the NGK information concerning the changing of plugs, especially for people like yourself, but it seems as though you believe you’re the experienced mechanic as you can prove the car runs better as you feel the difference. Just an FYI-The 5 cars in the household I'd put up against any for cleanliness, drivability and maintenance, in fact one of the cars needs a plug change every 5,000 miles.

Also, I believe you started that ridiculous thread about changing ATF every oil change. Ever see manual trans disc dust? The disc will wear every time the pedal is depressed and released, but will last hundreds of thousands of miles unless abused. In fact many pressure plates will lose their tension before the disc is worn down to the rivets.

Time for breakfast!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I have no desire or knowledge to do the maintenance on my tsx. I do know how to check the oil, tire pressure and can change a flat tire. I also try to hand wash it when possible. Since I am the main driver of the 06 tsx I have all the service done by a acura dealer I trust and think is excellent. Must be doing something right after 118,000+problem free miles still with the original brakes and 100% stock.
For sure if the maintenance is getting done by who ever the car will last no doubt about it, however if you want to save your self "money" and have satisfaction of doing it your self then thats where it pays off to turn the wrenches yourself....
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Also, I believe you started that ridiculous thread about changing ATF every oil change. Ever see manual trans disc dust? The disc will wear every time the pedal is depressed and released, but will last hundreds of thousands of miles unless abused. In fact many pressure plates will lose their tension before the disc is worn down to the rivets.

Time for breakfast!

Well the findings I had on the drain plug were a little excessive and many would agree with that, changing it each oil change takes another 10 mins considering the drain plugs are inches away from each other.... I thought the thread was good info since the interval on the oil combined with those findings should be a concern for the already problematic trans we have.

Sorry you didnt see value in my thread, I was genuinely trying to add a good thread to the forum other then " what intake should I buy, or what car should I buy next " type threads.... I am just very PRO maintenance for overly cautious protection.

Last edited by OntheJob; 01-03-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

That's basically been my experience. The stock plugs will still fire up to 100K but the engine won't be running it's best.
yeah thats what I was trying to get across as well, but I still dont get why some people say changing your plugs wont do anything, when we show them stuff like this....

We may not get a lot of power, but I think as you stated it will help the car run its best... which speaks volumes when you combine that with other needed items, as in this case, the air filter as well.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
if you read the owner manual it says if operated in severe service- do the 105 service at 60- that would include spark plugs,, to say the least~

short trips- commute traffic- driving on Earth... all put the car in severe section of the maitenance,,no kidding read the book!

the govt wanted cars to be longer interval on maitenance for the consumer--
so makers figured how far they can push it and thats the new limits,,100k service moved to 105,,
plugs last forever,,,,
and the new severe service designation in fine print at the bottem of the page
where no one sees it

To me: changing the hydraulic fluids of brakes and ps sooner and more often than acura says is cheap insurance on parts destined to fail.. if old cruddy fluid left to rot them an extra year,,from trying to save a few bucks
3 years! who are they kidding--
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
note the TL has a very high energy `coil on plug` ignition
compared to old school single coil and plug wires system- there is more impulse reaching the plugs
in theory: more wear but way better spark

regular cars can get 100k on plugs, but us...

Quick Reply: An eye opening experience-changing plugs at 100k...