Precat-deletes V2 install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Precat-deletes V2 install

Hey guys I have done my research on the cat deletes but I want to make sure I get it right. I have no auto training and have done all my mods myself besides the pulley(which I could not get off for the life of me). I use to have access to a lift and tools which i used on the other installs. After reading up on this install I would be more than happy to tackle it myself and my buddy but i just dont have the resources any more. I convinced a shop to put them on for me under the table. I just wanted to ask everyone here with experience on this install if there is anything I should tell my installer to look out for or do special. I also get this rattle at higher rpms in lower gears that sounds like a heatshield hitting metal. I only recieved this rattle after my cat-back and Jpipe install. The noise it makes make me cringe like nails on a chalkboard and im hoping to fix this while I have the car at the shop. I see a few threads about it but no one has clearly stated what it is and a clear fix(atleast that i could find). Any input will help and thanks again guys
Old 08-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first, take the j pipe off and put it aside

for the front:
take the fan out, cardboard infront of radiation, unbolt from top, take it out from the top, t will fit with just alittle wiggling(might have to take the heatshield off). install new part, alot easier since its so much smaller.

rear:
i forget how i did it, i think i unbolted it from the block, then unbolted the heatshields and pulled it out.

its really straight forward, it just takes alot of time since the space is so small

stillhere has a in depth post somewhere on this forum
Old 08-19-2009, 07:12 AM
6th Gear

I had a similar rattle. it was the heatshield for the intermediate shaft. It makes the WORST noise...
Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Advanced

i second about the radiator, also take of the o2 sensor and install then after the cats are installed.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Advanced

btw if you have anyquestions feel free to pm
Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
anti-seize is a good idea. the install's straight forward, it's just really, really time consumptive. the hardest part i had was bolting on o2 sensors (i got it right though, by purchasing an o2 sensor socket...cheap ass ) lol
Old 08-19-2009, 10:33 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My post is around here somewhere I wrote the entire install up I've installed around 15-20 of these
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
My post is around here somewhere I wrote the entire install up I've installed around 15-20 of these
From the stillhere153 archives:

"since I am too lazy to search and I have some time on my hands, here is a quick write up

starting from underneath the car, drop the jpipe and undue a couple of the clips holding the rear lower o2 sensor, remove the bracket holding the rear cat and 1 10mm bolt holding the heatshield for the rear cat

front cat undue both 10mm bolts at the bottom

using an o2 sensor socket remove both lower sensors and using the provided antiseize using ur finger put some on the thread of the sensor and screw it into the precat deletes

the passenger side fan has a 10mm bolt on the center, undue that

now on to the top of the car
10mm bolt holds the radiator reservoir, unde it pull the rubber hose off the radiator and law it against something

2x 10mm bolts hold the passenger side fan to the radiator undue those

theres a harness on the side of the fan hooked up on 2 points, unclip from the metal bracket then unplug, pull the fan up and out

get a piece of cardboard box around the size of the fan and place it infront of the radiator where the fan was

unplug the negative terminal of the battery

using o2 sensor socket remove the top sensor and install on precat delete

undue the 2x 10mm bolts holding the heatshield and let the heatshields fall through and under the car... undue the 4 x 12mm bolts holding the front cat to the head up and out of the engine bay (disgard the thing gasket, the precat deletes kit provided new ones)

remove the sorry excuse for a strut bar

remove a 10mm bolt for the bracket holding the power steering hose, move it out of the way

undue the top 2 10mm bolts for the heatshield... undue the top sensor using o2 sensor socket and replace it on the precat delete

using a 12mm wrench and another random wrench double up and remove the 4x 12mm bolts, disgard gasket

go back under the car, there is a heatshield over the half shaft, remove it (some members have reported a rattle at this area) there is now a 10mm bolt left on the rear cat heatshield remove that, you now have wiggle room, go back up top and you can wiggle the cat out of the heatshields and pull the cat out, heatshields will drop down and under the car

everything for the reinstall is plain and simple"
Old 08-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Advanced

Lol stilLhere does have a sick write up al did u do them in the lot ...
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Alright guys I have installed the V2's and first off i want to say thank you for the responses especially rdcolga that heatshield was the problem and that one is gone. Alright I actually installed them together with my mechanic and that rear one was a bitch but all together really was straight forward.
1. Power def. increase
2. Wheel hop def increase
3. Sound........................................ HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!
I was expecting a little rasp since ive heard a few from the videos but wow my car went from a nice even purr to a load tinny rasp anytime i get on it. slow speeds and low rpms sounds beautiful deep and aggressive. Now as soon as i get on it it farts louder than a 4banger N/A with a huge can off the back. Not doggin anyone here with a setup like that but dam my car sounds cheap now. I noticed when i took the rpms up slowly it starts to make the noise at around 4500 to 5000 rpms and it def sounds like a metal vibration. Almost like the sound the intermediate shaft heatshield made but way louder and deeper and coming from a different location. Now I do have ATLP V2 jpipe an a accord owner complained about the noise. Now I do not know if this is the same noise but I dont think it is since all flanges are designed to work with stock locations. But I def. like the increase in power and hope to get this noise issue tackled. Mabe a resonator? No idea but thanks again for you responses in advance.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced

In addition i meant to say Loud not load and also with the accord atlp v2 comment because the jpipe was designed for a TL and i didnt know if the sound came because of the accord design was different or something along those lines.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Drifting

i have no rasp

only time i have rasp is when im off the gas and rpms are declining from 5k
Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Weird well then that gives me hope that the sound is not permanent. Anyone else have any opinions? Ill try to record a video with the sound to show you what im talking about. Greco9885 do you have a video with the sound? Im curious as to what other type-s's sound like the only other one i heard is accurate's dyno video I believe
Old 08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Drifting

only have my dyno video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkIS9yqN6Mo
Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Drifting

oh and i use to rasp with the rv6 j pipe around 3k. but now with the atlp its fine. it does rasp in neutral revving though, but i never do that
Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Advanced

I have to get the car back on the lift and recheck everything. It sounds more and more like my third cat heat shield is rattling. I dkn but is sounds like its coming from underneath the middle of the car and it is def. something loose not the cat-deletes making the sound. Anyone have any similar issues with exhaust mods? it could also be when I installed atlp V2 I had to trim the plastic guards and I trimmed it down to the metal support piece and it could be hitting that.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

is this the rasp u are experiencing

resonator will kill it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBJNDW6yGk
Old 08-22-2009, 07:04 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No rasp here with RV6 deletes, RV6 test pipe, ATLP j-pipe and quads.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
TLAdvanced...sexy sound and sexy car btw
Old 09-07-2009, 01:59 AM
TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AtlM5
TLAdvanced...sexy sound and sexy car btw
I agree of all the vids his sound the best, like a mild modded G35 sounds. My boy has a stock G35 with only a Jim Wolf pop charger intake and a Z-tube and it sounds so mean.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

damn that was a great fly by right thurr werdup
Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
No rasp either.. You have to take the heat shield off from under..

I had it cut out.. took 5 min..
Old 09-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Racer

pics of the heatsheilds that need to be removed would be nice, also if someone could post pics of each step of the install that would probably be a great help to me i am currently unpatientally waiting for my deletes. i am ready to unleash the beast rar, anyone have a clip with deletes, intake, jpipe, stock stage 1 exhaust? this is the setup i will be running soon and i cant wait to hear it
Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Few pics here (click here)

Dude, the sound is

Hell, I don't even listen to music until I get on the freeway. I rather listen to the precats singing thier insane sounds rather than my ipod. No longer am I jealous of those G35 coupes with their aftermarket exhaust.

"Sing, precats, S I N G that song that you sing so well!" Oh yea... worth the wait.

And don't get me started on that awesome G R O W L in the morning when it fires-up. :devilgrin

And that smell..... "The smell of V I C T O R Y"

(damn, I see you cats later... I must go to the garage for a second.....where's those keys).

Last edited by Inaccurate; 09-08-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^ make sure you open the garage door or the smell of victory will turn to failure
Old 09-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Safety Car

Well hell, NOW you tell me. I'm dead already. Some freind you are.

LOL (really). Good one Stillhere. You're still the one.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Racer

awesome just what i needed thanks, cannot wait, innacurate im guessing these have made a crazy difference with all that weight removed, any new kills?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Safety Car

craig,

No races since getting the XLR8 jpipe and cat_deletes. I am hungry, hungry for some action. But, the roads are so much more congested since school has started again.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

craig,

BTW, have you read this thread yet?

E-106: Official Pre Cat Delete HOW TO DIY (click here)
Old 09-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Racer

yes i have read that thread, just forgot about it, bookmarked now
Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 AM
practicing nihilist

remove all heat shields is my advice. opening the exhaust up and removing cats/resonators is going to cause, well, more resonance. i didn't even take the chance when I did all my exhaust mods and removed every heat shield I came across, except maybe the one in the transmission well. if the shop you took it to left any of the cat shields one - fail. the pre-cat deletes don't retain heat like the stock cats and you can throw them in the "TL diet" pile. I have a 5 lb stack of aluminum heat shields by now.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Racer

i finnaly got this installed, had a few difficulties due to a rounded off nut on the rear cat, cost me about 6 hours using a dremmel to cut the stud and nut off, power is amazing, i feel like i gained lowend, and topend is nuts, sound is good but a lil raspy i removed all the heatshields arround cats but still have the heatsheilds arround 3rd cat and the rest of the exhause i am wondering if i should remove these, my entire car is covered in sound deadening so im not worried about heat entering cabin, overall i am extremely pleased install was not to difficult on jackstands, other than destroying a nut
Old 09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Safety Car

Whoop

What you think of the smell ? -or-

Did you hear that Growl when you fired it up for the first time ? The mean-ass growl only happens upon a cold start-up. Last for about 30 seconds, then the sound mellows down considerably until the engine is cold again.

What you think of the sound at WOT thru first gear ? The first time I heard mine, it sounded like I had a supercharger (intense gear-drive whine).
Old 09-15-2009, 02:28 PM
practicing nihilist

got my V2's on yesterday. couple hours by myself on a lift but I installed the V1's previously. I have to say, not a fan of the new L-bend defoulers. At first, thought they would help out with O2 sensor install...I was wrong. Spent a lot of time dicking with the rear only to find that I had to remove the already installed front pre-cat to get the front defouler on. Maybe there's added function but, old straight ones were easier.

She's angry again, though! I stomped it at about 35 and I actually started drifting sideways as the wheels spun! not bad on 19's. so sweet piped to the ATLP base.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
i read somewhere that people with the atlp jpipe v2 hav a problem installin these.... is that true?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Racer

i love the smell especially in the morning at first startup, the sound is amazing i usually stand outside of my car so i can appreciate the music this 3.2 makes, i am just trying to get used to or fix the rasp or rattlewhen under light throttle, i dont know which this is the first car that i have modified the exaust. sound at wot is amazing however thats probably why my mpg is at 15 rite now.

sound through first gear? all i can hear is my tires squealing, my tl scared me today for the first time going about 25 30 mph under a bridge i punched it tore the tires apart sending my frond end sideways, i feel my low end torque has actually improved, mabie it is due to my stock exhaust retaining some backpressure,

the car sounds almost stock at idle, a little rumble but not to much which is nice because i compete in sq competitions and a loud exhaust while a judge is in your car is not a good thing for sq

i didnt use richies defoulers i modified some spark plug non foulers richie suggested from autozone, no cel's yet i am hoping this continues
Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Safety Car

craigtl35,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking forward to seeing what you thought.

Ha,ha... funny that you say that you love the smell especially in the morning. BTW, you know that I do too!

Originally Posted by Apocalypse Now
Do you smell that? It's napalm, son. Nothing else on the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning...
The smell, you know that gasoline smell... Smells like, VICTORY!"
[Gunny]Hooorah! Right on, "Victory"[/Gunny]

I too stand outside of the car to start it. Even before getting the deletes, my daily routine in the morning is to open the front passenger door and reach over to start the car while standing outside. I do that so it can be warming up as I put my bag and shoes in the back. I drive barefooted...but, that's another topic. So, with the deletes, I now have an additional reason to start the car while standing outside.

I think that I know that rasp that you are talking about. It is a subtle rasp as the engine gets into the powerband under light/moderate throttle. I was slightly turned-off by it at first. Now, I like it. It is subtle, and not at all annoying to me.

Thanks for the narrative of the unexpected frontwheel drifting/fishtail. I enjoyed reading that. Any mod that teaches you to respect the throttle is a darn good mod!

You are right about the stock exhaust (primarily the oem mufflers) are providing just enough backpressure. Guys that lose low-end with the deletes are the guys that have aftermarket mufflers, which flow better than oem mufflers.

What is "sq"? I too like the volume level of the exhaust being almost like stock at idle. I am able to still be a sleeper. Once the race "is on", then the hell breaks loose (noise). Ha,ha,ha,ha...... funny when those fast cars/thumper motorcycles fall for it, "hook, line, and sinker". Is that an Acura TL? No (ha,ha), that is a TL_Diet with a stinky exhaust flying past them. S l e e p e r.

Why did you not use Richie's defoulers? I had no problems installing them.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 09-16-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Racer

sq is sound quality, a judge sits in your car and listens to music at a lowerlevel and everry rattle or anything that isnt supposed to be in the music is taken off your score.

i never drive with a shoe on my petal foot, i feel more intune with the car and can regulate the petals easier that way

i didnt use the defoulers because richie forgot to send them i just got them today actually, but i dont feel like getting under my car to change them out so im gonna wait untill i get a cel
Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
...........You are right about the stock exhaust (primarily the oem mufflers) are providing just enough backpressure. Guys that lose low-end with the deletes are the guys that have aftermarket mufflers, which flow better than oem mufflers...............
This is why I have not taken the plunge yet.

A: I'm afraid of the extra noise that come with it. I had that battle with the EVO2 exhaust. I'm finally happy with my present set-up.
B: I hated my lose of low-end power with the EVO2 as well. The borla mufflers was a nice choice for sound and power balance.
C: My pro-cats are still kicking; so no lag in performance there.

I am curious of how much extra power the deletes are from the pro-cats. Don't know if anyone has experience this. If so; let me know, and I might consider it.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:34 PM
practicing nihilist

the precats added noticeable noise to my exhaust system. with stock cats and full exhaust with resonator, it was perfect - nice purr. precats added some throat but they are so worth it that sound wasn't a factor. if you have a full exhaust the precat power can be felt through entire range.

Quick Reply: Precat-deletes V2 install