What 10K Miles oil look like.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
What 10K Miles oil look like.

Hi Folks!

I just hit my 2nd MID Oil Change (200% Oil) that is about 10,000 Miles (That is what I recorded) on my Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil and its about 40 city & 60 hwy.

So these are the pics of the oil filter and look at the glorious Golden Oil still come up as a winner..

Name:  IMG_0235_zpsls8ukqgj.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  196.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0233_zpsofmzmdnm.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  239.2 KB

Just by the looks the oil successfully absorbed contaminants from the old oil (Previous Owner Oil Honda OEM) and its still golden! This doesn't actually proves anything as Oil Color wont tell you about its life, I took a sample and I am ready to send it to blackstone labs to see if I can push it harder and I bet you I can push it to 15,000 Miles .
Old 02-15-2016, 02:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
Hi Folks!

I just hit my 2nd MID Oil Change (200% Oil) that is about 10,000 Miles (That is what I recorded) on my Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil and its about 40 city & 60 hwy.

So these are the pics of the oil filter and look at the glorious Golden Oil still come up as a winner..

Just by the looks the oil successfully absorbed contaminants from the old oil (Previous Owner Oil Honda OEM) and its still golden! This doesn't actually proves anything as Oil Color wont tell you about its life, I took a sample and I am ready to send it to blackstone labs to see if I can push it harder and I bet you I can push it to 15,000 Miles .
So you are intentionally running your car way over on oil changes for an experiment? I am genuinely curious.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
How often do you replace your oil filter?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
So you are intentionally running your car way over on oil changes for an experiment? I am genuinely curious.
How do you quantify it as "way over"? He's doing this because it proves that general Oil Change Intervals (OCI) are too frequent and if using a good quality oil, the OCI can be lengthened. He also mentioned he plans on doing a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) to conclude what he hypothesized. Sounds like a solid idea and the UOA will confirm what he believes. Nothing 'way over' about that at all!!
Old 02-15-2016, 09:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Yeah the myth of the 3k/3mo unfortunately still way too prevalent in common thinking. Makes for a good business for sure in the quick lube business
Old 02-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by thoiboi
How do you quantify it as "way over"? He's doing this because it proves that general Oil Change Intervals (OCI) are too frequent and if using a good quality oil, the OCI can be lengthened. He also mentioned he plans on doing a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) to conclude what he hypothesized. Sounds like a solid idea and the UOA will confirm what he believes. Nothing 'way over' about that at all!!
I guess being over is subjective. 10k miles is roughly 16000 kms. I would never wait that long between oil changed regardless of what my car is. However I agree, that we replace our oil too soon! Here people replace them at 5k kms..so rouphly 3k miles. That is way too soon!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I was always taught that the color of your oil is not a good indication of anything. At all.

If you want to know what's really going on, take the oil for testing.

Also, what you risk by going that long on the same oil is sludge build up inside your engine. Don't quote me on this, but if you are using, say, a top tier synthetic oil with a claimed high mileage interval change, you still have to change the filter at the prescribed intervals. You'll lose some of the old oil when you remove the filter. Just top it off.

Again, this is what I've heard. Be sure you know what you're doing if you go this route. Good luck!!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

Ok, never mind. I just read your post in its entirety and clearly I'm a dummy

Sounds like you're on the right path to see if everything is ok. Curious to see what you find out!!!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I was always taught that the color of your oil is not a good indication of anything. At all.

If you want to know what's really going on, take the oil for testing.

Also, what you risk by going that long on the same oil is sludge build up inside your engine. Don't quote me on this, but if you are using, say, a top tier synthetic oil with a claimed high mileage interval change, you still have to change the filter at the prescribed intervals. You'll lose some of the old oil when you remove the filter. Just top it off.

Again, this is what I've heard. Be sure you know what you're doing if you go this route. Good luck!!

Sounds like you're on the right path to see if everything is ok. Curious to see what you find out!!!
You could've just edited your post

but too late because I quoted it..
Old 02-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Team Owner

Like I said, I'm a dummy

I'm notorious for polluting the environment and killing the world. I change the Sonata oil every 3.5k miles (because turbo) and I change the TL oil every 5k miles, when the MID starts going off. I push the miata to every 6k, or, once a year. That's about all the mileage I got out of it last year.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Interested as well, I use M1 EP like the OP and swap it out every 12K to 14K miles, change the oil filter usually at 6 or 7K, add new oil to the filter and usually no top off required.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by RDX10
The oil can handle it, The old perception that old needs to be changed every 5-7K needs to die, Synthetic oil (Specially Base 4 Full Synthetic) can handle a lot more than conventional Dino Oil and one of the main selling points is their ability to withstand twice the changes of regular oil. Only reason I didn't push 15K on this oil right away was because there was old OEM Oil in it (Previous Owner), So I didn't want to stress out some mixed oil.. Once I am running Full Syn (2 More oil Changes) 15K will be the norm with an Oil Filter change at half the life.. I say 15K because I hardly do more than that in a Year, Regardless of mileage I change oil every December in both of my cars.. That includes ATF in my TL-S and probably will include the MDX now.

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
How often do you replace your oil filter?
Normally it would be at half the oil life but this Specific Filter took up the abuse of all 10K Miles..

I really need to stop adding those final sentences after the pics... Old Habits Die Hard...

Originally Posted by csmeance
Interested as well, I use M1 EP like the OP and swap it out every 12K to 14K miles, change the oil filter usually at 6 or 7K, add new oil to the filter and usually no top off required.
That's exactly what I do in my TL-S too.

Last edited by Skirmich; 02-16-2016 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:48 AM
Suzuka Master

The oil can handle it, The old perception that old needs to be changed every 5-7K needs to die, Synthetic oil (Specially Base 4 Full Synthetic) can handle a lot more than conventional Dino Oil and one of the main selling points is their ability to withstand twice the changes of regular oil. Only reason I didn't push 15K on this oil right away was because there was old OEM Oil in it (Previous Owner), So I didn't want to stress out some mixed oil.. Once I am running Full Syn (2 More oil Changes) 15K will be the norm with an Oil Filter change at half the life.. I say 15K because I hardly do more than that in a Year, Regardless of mileage I change oil every December in both of my cars.. That includes ATF in my TL-S and probably will include the MDX now.

Normally it would be at half the oil life but this Specific Filter took up the abuse of all 10K Miles..

I really need to stop adding those final sentences after the pics... Old Habits Die Hard...

That's exactly what I do in my TL-S too.
No I get you. Just that with my turbo I am extra cautious about oil changes. I am interested to see what happens!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 AM

Yeah Turbo takes an extra toll on Engine Oil.. I guess the main difference between your RDX and my MDX would be Oil Consumption? as Syn likes to evaporate when overheated..
Old 02-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah Turbo takes an extra toll on Engine Oil.. I guess the main difference between your RDX and my MDX would be Oil Consumption? as Syn likes to evaporate when overheated..
My RDX doesn't burn any oil at all. I just assume it breaks down the oil much quicker than a naturally aspirated engine because it helps cool down the turbo and associated moving parts.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:59 PM

Then maybe the Turbo in the RDX does not work that hard? because my buddy EVO eats through Synthetic Oil on a Monthly Basis...
Old 02-18-2016, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Then maybe the Turbo in the RDX does not work that hard? because my buddy EVO eats through Synthetic Oil on a Monthly Basis...
The rdx 2.3t really isn't tuned that hard. Is his evo tuned? I think even a stock evo is 300hp from a 2.0t engine. So quite a bit of work for the oil. I guess it also depends how someone drives. I am not hard on my rdx, but some people are brutal on theirs.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:56 AM

I sincerely dont know.. But I was talking to him about his car one time and he mentioned the oil consumption was hard, He does push it though.

Ive seen a couple of White RDXs here in town (1st gens) they look sexy from behind... They still need to grow on me from the front though.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I sincerely dont know.. But I was talking to him about his car one time and he mentioned the oil consumption was hard, He does push it though.

Ive seen a couple of White RDXs here in town (1st gens) they look sexy from behind... They still need to grow on me from the front though.
I also really like the rear end of the rdx. The front view is a bit hard to absorb, but it does grow on you. Also I like to look at my rdx like a little rally suv so the front end looks don't matter as much. If you have not yet driven one, trust me and take one on a curvy road. Suddenly the looks will not matter anymore. Also one of the nicest looking interiors of any acura product.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:41 PM

Yeah I know they will handle great if my MDX can put a big smile on my face in touge sessions, The RDX will not have all the shortcomings I notice from my MDX
*DAT BODY ROLL MAN*.... I was planning on getting the Sport sways because it is ridiculous.

But I already pulled the trigger on the MDX so there is no coming back, I expect to pull at least 5 years with it before moving on to newer things.. If I like it a lot I will probably keep it for good (Like my TL-S).
Old 02-18-2016, 01:52 PM

What I wonder a lot is CNET reviews on the Turbo Lag... I read several reviews that noticed the Lag but when I ask the owners they say there is none? How so? Is not a Twin Scroll for sure and Honda´s High RPM Nature should add to some unpleasant Turbo Lag in the RDX.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah I know they will handle great if my MDX can put a big smile on my face in touge sessions, The RDX will not have all the shortcomings I notice from my MDX
*DAT BODY ROLL MAN*.... I was planning on getting the Sport sways because it is ridiculous.

But I already pulled the trigger on the MDX so there is no coming back, I expect to pull at least 5 years with it before moving on to newer things.. If I like it a lot I will probably keep it for good (Like my TL-S).
If the mdx puts a smile on your face, the 1G rdx will make you giggle on every corner. I literally can drift it sideways on flat dry ground with minimal body roll. Honestly surprises me how well controlled it is.

You made a good choice, the new rdx is honestly imho not as good as it used to be at all. It is a reliable bowl of body roll vanilla. I drove a new 2016 mdx for a few days and liked it. It feels smaller than it is, and really feels well controlled and composed.

What I wonder a lot is CNET reviews on the Turbo Lag... I read several reviews that noticed the Lag but when I ask the owners they say there is none? How so? Is not a Twin Scroll for sure and Honda´s High RPM Nature should add to some unpleasant Turbo Lag in the RDX.
Yeah I also read about that lag and honestly no it is a bunch of bs. There is very minimal lag, if anything it is more throttle lag. The biggest issue is the 5 speed auto. If you catch it in the wrong gear, there will be a slight lag (very little) but catch it in the right gear and it will put a huge smile on your face.

It is not twin scroll turbo, it is actually a more rare and more exotic variable geometry turbo. A small valve basically focuses the air at low rpms to spool the turbo faster and then it opens up at higher rpms to allow full air flow. This allows for a smooth transition between low and high rpms. I know that many many reviews talk about lag, I even watched the cnet review a few times and he mentions that it is peaky etc. I strongly disagree with him. The rdx is kinda heavy at 4k pounds...so don't expect neck snapping acceleration, however it is not slow by any means.

Last edited by RDX10; 02-19-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:44 AM

Well I already have my big ass MDX so there is no going back...
What I find hilarious is that, I think I have better MPGs in the MDX that I will ever have on the 1st Gen RDX...
Old 02-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Well I already have my big ass MDX so there is no going back...
What I find hilarious is that, I think I have better MPGs in the MDX that I will ever have on the 1st Gen RDX...
I am averaging 19mpg city in my rdx and I don't drive like a grandma. I heard the 2g mdx was quite awful in the city.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:48 PM

18 is the best I ever seen and that is driving like a total grandpa..
Usual stuff with quick take offs is 13-15mpgs city.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

18 is the best I ever seen and that is driving like a total grandpa..
Usual stuff with quick take offs is 13-15mpgs city.
I am going to try driving like a grandpa one day and see how good I can do. Not once have I actually tried driving civilized. Can't do it.

Anyways, congrats on the new mdx, you will love it!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:38 AM

Thanks man! I am still loving it..