VTEC kicked in Yo! in the MDX...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:21 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
VTEC kicked in Yo! in the MDX...

Just a very small clip of my MDX tackling a small tunnel in Baja!
No speed limits were broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5QX...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-21-2016, 10:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Nice vid!

I love the low end growl the 3.7L makes when the vtec is engaged. The i-vtech on my TSX doesn't kick in until 6000rpm and my RDX 4700 rpm i-vtec kick-in doesn't growl at all (but tons of turbo tq instead).
Old 03-21-2016, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Nice, yes the Vtec sound is intoxicating for a large SUV like MDX
Old 03-21-2016, 02:32 PM

I sometimes wish it was louder though, That sound pick up was only possible by rolling down all windows and using the backside cover off the go pro... Usually is a very quiet car
Old 03-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
I need to upload my video too lol
Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
The crossover is unbelievable on the J37's.. Stock
Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 912 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
Just a very small clip of my MDX tackling a small tunnel in Baja!
No speed limits were broken.

I keep getting access denied for some reason! I really want to watch this! Ugh

NVM tried it on my laptop and it worked. I sold the RDX and thought I wanted something bigger....I might be looking at an MDX actually.

Last edited by RDX10; 03-23-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:52 AM

Weird the video is just unlisted, not set to private or anything else.

Someone know how to embed the video here?
Old 03-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Weird the video is just unlisted, not set to private or anything else.

Someone know how to embed the video here?
It worked on my laptop, just not my iphone. Its ok bud, no worries.

What year is your mdx? I am considering an 07-09 model again, just sold my rdx but I can't seem to get over the looks of the 2G mdx. I am just worried that the mdx is a bit of a pig in terms of acceleration. The j37 is rather high strung, so I feel like I have to keep mashing the go pedal to go anywhere in a reasonable (to myself) manner.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:28 PM

2007 and you are correct the Initial Acceleration is nothing to write home about so its a pig.. But once its moving its pretty zappy for its weight.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

2007 and you are correct the Initial Acceleration is nothing to write home about so its a pig.. But once its moving its pretty zappy for its weight.
This was what I was hoping not to hear. I did test drive an 07 mdx tech and it felt like a massive pig until it started moving. I thought it was just that specific one, but i guess I can't expect too much with that 5 speed auto sucking the life out of the engine. You would think 300hp would be a lot!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:59 PM

Yeah its pretty unimpressive... I think the 0 to 60 is around 7s-7.5s? or such, Which is insanely slow compared to my TL-S 5.7s (Essentially traction limited). But the extra space and seat row could be enough to consider? It also has more towing capacity and weight capacity and lets be honest... The MDX is prettier than the RDX
Old 03-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah its pretty unimpressive... I think the 0 to 60 is around 7s-7.5s? or such, Which is insanely slow compared to my TL-S 5.7s (Essentially traction limited). But the extra space and seat row could be enough to consider? It also has more towing capacity and weight capacity and lets be honest... The MDX is prettier than the RDX
Yeah around 7.5. But the issue for me is not the 0-60, that's respectable and acceptable to me. For me though, its the initial limp acceleration that kind of kills it for me. I don't care if it is 8.5 to 60. Its just the initial launch that I can't stand.

I like effortless smooth acceleration. The mdx requires me to dig a lot deeper into the throttle than I like. For example, our 09 santa fe with the 3.3 V6 takes around 8.5 to 60, but it feels effortless and carlike when accelerating while the mdx feels truck like to me.

I really only need 4 seats, won't need the third row and only use the hatch area when I have something dirty. My reasons for picking suvs are because I am tall and fit more comfortably and live in an area that usually has really bad winters, the ground clearance is a HUGE benefit to me.

Lol well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the only bad angle on the 1G rdx was the front end, kinda bug eyed. But I do agree, the mdx is still stunning to me to this day, I wish they would have grafted the mdx front end onto the 1G rdx.

We'll have to see what happens. Currently up for consideration is the volvo xc90 v8, 2011-2013 kia sorento sx, 2011+ lincoln mkx, 2007+ mdx, audi q5, and volvo xc60 t6. Trying to go no less than a V6, a 4-turbo is cool, but I like a smooth powertrain!
Old 03-24-2016, 04:39 PM

I really think the biggest issue is how the DBW Throttle is tuned.. The engine has the OOMP for sure but the DBW Pedal is numb very unresponsive. When I had to take out like crazy fast and fully WOT the car does respond in a way that surprises me all the time, It doesn´t feel like 7second car. But like you said you have to dig into the gas pedal to get there..

We also have to blame the nature of Honda Engines.. The low end is strictly for MPG reasons not to pull like a race car, For the fun to come you need those RPMs and with the weight of the MDX is slow to get to the sweet spot of +4.5K to 6.5K awesomeness.
Next time you test drive one dont bother with full stop acceleration try every day common stuff like overtaking speed and getting to that ramp in the highway you will be surprised.

And lastly dont fret on gettin the MDX Revv up.. These are Honda engines and they like to spin even on the MDX.. Once you get out of the crawling 1-3K the fun starts. I said this because a lot of people have the impression that being an SUV you have to use it like it was made of glass. I have done TOUGE Sessions with the MDX.. Holding gear for minutes and seeing as low as 5mpg... Once you know what the sweet spot is hard to use the MDX in a efficient way, At least your pockets will remind you that is FREAKING 5mpgs!! Having fun on the MDX is expensive...
Old 03-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I really think the biggest issue is how the DBW Throttle is tuned.. The engine has the OOMP for sure but the DBW Pedal is numb very unresponsive. When I had to take out like crazy fast and fully WOT the car does respond in a way that surprises me all the time, It doesn´t feel like 7second car. But like you said you have to dig into the gas pedal to get there..

We also have to blame the nature of Honda Engines.. The low end is strictly for MPG reasons not to pull like a race car, For the fun to come you need those RPMs and with the weight of the MDX is slow to get to the sweet spot of +4.5K to 6.5K awesomeness.
Next time you test drive one dont bother with full stop acceleration try every day common stuff like overtaking speed and getting to that ramp in the highway you will be surprised.

And lastly dont fret on gettin the MDX Revv up.. These are Honda engines and they like to spin even on the MDX.. Once you get out of the crawling 1-3K the fun starts. I said this because a lot of people have the impression that being an SUV you have to use it like it was made of glass. I have done TOUGE Sessions with the MDX.. Holding gear for minutes and seeing as low as 5mpg... Once you know what the sweet spot is hard to use the MDX in a efficient way, At least your pockets will remind you that is FREAKING 5mpgs!! Having fun on the MDX is expensive...
Yeah thats exactly it, the throttle is just really really numb. Even when you are already crusing along, its a few second 2-step delay before any power. The first delay is the DBW pedal, the second delay is the 5-speed auto taking a couple seconds to downshift. It feels like a 9 second car because of all that lag, but then the power builds up and you feel it.

Honda reserves their DOHC engines for performance and their SOHC engines for economy. The j37 is a SOHC engine, this doesn't help the fact that it is so high strung, so with the pedal delay, then you have transmission delay, then you have the engine revving up delay...it bogs it down big time. Also the awd system sucks yet more power....and that weight. Oh boy!

Oh don't worry about me taking it easy! Poor santa fe gets red-lined on a daily basis and takes it like a champ. The rdx was also red-lined daily. Never held at red-line or abused of course, but I drove it like it was stolen sometimes. I think it is healthier to red-line than to drive like a grandma. I hear you on feeling those 5 mpg's! I had a x5 and touareg V8 in the past......premium gas and 26.5 gallon gas tanks and 5 mpg were no fun!
Old 03-24-2016, 06:18 PM

FYI The new NSX has a SOHC engine.
Being SOHC doesn't mean it's made for MPGs honda has made a DOHC V6 since the C32B.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

FYI The new NSX has a SOHC engine.
Being SOHC doesn't mean it's made for MPGs honda has made a DOHC V6 since the C32B.
I always heard it was an economy thing. Why would they do that? I am not really impressed with that at all. At least they have direct injection now almost across the whole lineup.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:17 PM

Because Honda has perfected the V6 SOHC VVT and Lift.
V6 DOHC increases weight and increases drivetrain loss, Its more expensive to build and fit in the Engine Bay.

When V6 DOHC was invented there wasn´t a better way to introduce 4 valves per cyl on a V6.. Honda came up with a V6 SOHC system that allowed that with no loss in performance. Then V6 DOHC was the best way to do VVT (Honda introduced VTEC on the NSX that was V6 DOHC) then they could do just that on a V6 SOHC powerplant, The only thing left was VVT and Lift on both sides of the intake and exhaust valves.. As of 2010 Honda has the very first V6 SOHC powerplant capable of dual VVT and LIFT.

In general just look it up Displacement by Displacement HONDA V6 SOHCs ask nothing of a V6 DOHC powerplant, They deliver high RPMs with all the benefits of a V6 DOHC powerplant in a smaller, lighter and more capable engine. I remember that discussions back in the days with the flame wars between the VQ35 (Nissan DOHC 3.5L V6) that had less HP, TQ and lower Redline than the J32 (Honda SOHC 3.2L V6).

I read somewhere that Honda said they would not produce another DOHC V6 just because there would not be a single gain for the V6.
4 cyl still gain from DOHC for several reasons.

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-24-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:12 PM

Oh and I made a typo on my Previous comment, the New NSX has a DOHC V6 but that is bespoke engine that shares nothing of the commercial J Series.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Why not to buy few bolt ons and get a tune? You guys would be surprised how it would transform mdx...
Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 PM

Because its insanely expensive and at the end of the Day my TL-S is faster and more fun to drive...

I am happy on how it performs right now because I am not trigger happy 24/7 on it.. If it was my only car I would consider it.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

It is like 1500$, not that much.. It is totally worth it for me. Especial i love that it works much more efficient at higher air temperature, heat-soak is not existing after tune....
Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 PM

I dunno man its just too much money for a car that can barely keep its body roll in check with the stock power.
Its plenty of power for me for what it is and how it handles, If it had more aftermarket support for suspension then maybe.

What I would like its to remove the numbness of the DBW but at almost 300 bucks for the Sprint Booster hell no, Ill just press the pedal deeper thank you.

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-24-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Because Honda has perfected the V6 SOHC VVT and Lift.
V6 DOHC increases weight and increases drivetrain loss, Its more expensive to build and fit in the Engine Bay.

When V6 DOHC was invented there wasn´t a better way to introduce 4 valves per cyl on a V6.. Honda came up with a V6 SOHC system that allowed that with no loss in performance. Then V6 DOHC was the best way to do VVT (Honda introduced VTEC on the NSX that was V6 DOHC) then they could do just that on a V6 SOHC powerplant, The only thing left was VVT and Lift on both sides of the intake and exhaust valves.. As of 2010 Honda has the very first V6 SOHC powerplant capable of dual VVT and LIFT.

In general just look it up Displacement by Displacement HONDA V6 SOHCs ask nothing of a V6 DOHC powerplant, They deliver high RPMs with all the benefits of a V6 DOHC powerplant in a smaller, lighter and more capable engine. I remember that discussions back in the days with the flame wars between the VQ35 (Nissan DOHC 3.5L V6) that had less HP, TQ and lower Redline than the J32 (Honda SOHC 3.2L V6).

I read somewhere that Honda said they would not produce another DOHC V6 just because there would not be a single gain for the V6.
4 cyl still gain from DOHC for several reasons.
I won't even argue with you. I really appreciate your thorough and clear explanation. I honestly had no idea that honda was so ahead. I guess they decided they would rather perfect sohc vs jumping onto dohc when it wasn't necessary. I think honda chose to put dohc into the nsx and 4 cylinder engines because the nsx has 2 turbos, it needs to breathe better maybe, and the 4-cylinder engines are also pushing a lot for their displacement (205 hp for a naturally aspirated 2.4 is pretty good!). I don't claim to have a ton of engine knowledge, especially when it comes down to the more nitty gritty and in this case was going by what I have been told.

Thank you for the clear and concise explanation.

To the other member suggesting mods and tunes. I would invest in mods and tunes if I knew there would be a large enough return. The J37 really is already pretty high strung, I don't see a bunch of bolt ons really doing much other than freeing up a handful of ponies, sounding better and maybe better throttle response. Now if this was a turbo setup? I would be ALL OVER IT. Tunes for days lol
Old 03-25-2016, 01:40 AM

I think another reason to use DOHC in the NSX is for being "high tech" and the Cross-shop against the GT-R doesn't help either.
I presume at 150,000 bucks having a SOHC powerplant in a Super Car would be laughable even if it delivered...

Bisimoto and its 1000HP Odyssey aren´t Impressed.

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-25-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:05 AM
Suzuka Master

I think another reason to use DOHC in the NSX is for being "high tech" and the Cross-shop against the GT-R doesn't help either.
I presume at 150,000 bucks having a SOHC powerplant in a Super Car would be laughable even if it delivered...

Bisimoto and its 1000HP Odyssey aren´t Impressed.
You make an excellent point. The nsx is going to go up to around $200k I read in the last review. I don't imagine it would look good for the nsx to share the engine with any other Hondas or Acuras (thus making it bespoke and unrelated completely to the j-series) and then taking a step further and adding DOHC, and direct injection, this is meant to compete against things like the gtr, and corvette, and lower end ferraris.

I agree, it would be very laughable if they came in with a j-series V6 with sohc...that just prints as cheap. I really hope to get behind the wheel of an nsx someday.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
Why not to buy few bolt ons and get a tune? You guys would be surprised how it would transform mdx...
Such as? Outside of a J pipe there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for the MDX.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TrackDayRdr
Such as? Outside of a J pipe there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for the MDX.
K&N filter, RV6 J-pipe, HFPC, Ktuner, Sprint Booster
Read my signature VVVVV
Old 03-31-2016, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Read my signature VVVVV
How do you put HID's for reverse lights?

isn't that insanely hot for the housing? insanely blinding for anyone behind you in a parking lot? and lastly wouldn't you need to wait like 10-15 seconds for full temp buildup?

genuinely curious here
Old 03-31-2016, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Read my signature VVVVV
Still not a lot. Thanks though.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10

isn't that insanely hot for the housing? insanely blinding for anyone behind you in a parking lot? and lastly wouldn't you need to wait like 10-15 seconds for full temp buildup?

genuinely curious here

It will melt the housing if he use them for too long, They have become irrelevant with the new Bulbs like the Philips 921 and since our Reverse lights do not aim downwards its still kinda useless anyway.. I have the 921 in the MDX and they light up a shit ton! anywhere but the place I want it that is the Reverse Camera area... Its funny that the brake lights do a better job than the reverse lights.

The biggest issue about using HIDs is to not burn them since the R is between the P and Drive they will "Insta On" for less than a second wearing the ballast and bulb out every time you shift out of park, There is a special relay with a delay to prevent this but causes too much headache to install added to headache to install the HIDs in the reverse light area.

All things considered I would NOT advise anyone to install HIDs for Reverse Lights... LEDs do it much better.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:27 PM

Still not a lot. Thanks though.

Specially considering the HP per Dollar ratio..
Old 04-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trackdayrdr
still not a lot. Thanks though.
lol
Old 04-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

genuinely curious here
It is not to hot because it is only 15w per bulb, warm up time 5 seconds... Little to no improvement for rear view camera.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Burning Brakes

50$ per 1whp is not bad actually...
Old 04-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Instructor

That's what I'm saying.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

That's what I'm saying.
Sorry, I do not understand what do you mean. What you are trying to say? not enough whp or is is to expensive for you?
WHP per dollar is pretty good, and transmission cannot handle much more power and there is a lot under-stair when you nail it at 60mph-80mph.
anyway i am very happy with my 330hp-340hp mdx

peace.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Yeah around 7.5. But the issue for me is not the 0-60, that's respectable and acceptable to me. For me though, its the initial limp acceleration that kind of kills it for me. I don't care if it is 8.5 to 60. Its just the initial launch that I can't stand.

I like effortless smooth acceleration. The mdx requires me to dig a lot deeper into the throttle than I like. For example, our 09 santa fe with the 3.3 V6 takes around 8.5 to 60, but it feels effortless and carlike when accelerating while the mdx feels truck like to me.

I really only need 4 seats, won't need the third row and only use the hatch area when I have something dirty. My reasons for picking suvs are because I am tall and fit more comfortably and live in an area that usually has really bad winters, the ground clearance is a HUGE benefit to me.

Lol well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the only bad angle on the 1G rdx was the front end, kinda bug eyed. But I do agree, the mdx is still stunning to me to this day, I wish they would have grafted the mdx front end onto the 1G rdx.

We'll have to see what happens. Currently up for consideration is the volvo xc90 v8, 2011-2013 kia sorento sx, 2011+ lincoln mkx, 2007+ mdx, audi q5, and volvo xc60 t6. Trying to go no less than a V6, a 4-turbo is cool, but I like a smooth powertrain!

Go with the '10+ MDX. Dual Vtec heads & a 6spd Auto..
Old 04-04-2016, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by teh CL
Go with the '10+ MDX. Dual Vtec heads & a 6spd Auto..
I would because the 2g mdx is awesome, they softened the new one way too much for me, but decided against an mdx for a few reasons.

First and foremost, the technology is simply too old for me, it is also missing smart key (which is kind of really a big deal for me, love it). I also really want a heated steering wheel, my fingers get so cold in the winter and literally will not warm up for hours after. The gas mileage, though better than 2007-2009, is still abysmal imo, eapecially for premium. Even with the upgraded tranny/engine, it is still too bulky and ponderous for me, I hate driving a car where the initial 3000 rpm don't seem to be doing anything.

I have no issues redlining a vehicle, or pushing my vehicles hard (not abuse of course). But it gets annoying needing to push it hard everytime. In our santa fe for example, I can drive it very easily while keeping the tach below 2000 rpm. Never ever need to push it past 2000 unless I am in a hurry and even then, 3500 rpm and it is scooting along easily.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:35 AM

You don't need to go to 3000RPM to feel something.. Its all about how much acceleration you want, Perhaps you will like has to offer in the low end if your expectations aren't high.

I did a 300 miles trip this weekend with the car FULL all 7 Passengers and while it got underwhelming at a stop sign I didn't miss any power when I was overtaking... Its the initial get go that gets you on the nerves but onces its moving you don't need 3000RPM.

Quick Reply: VTEC kicked in Yo! in the MDX...