Used X5 v. Used Q7 v. New Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011 | 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Also I looked at Dealers website ( Manheim )and same year used MDX and X5 seem pretty close in price . MDX keeps value better
Old 02-22-2011 | 09:47 PM
cb4
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by M3EP
Also I looked at Dealers website ( Manheim )and same year used MDX and X5 seem pretty close in price .
This certainly is not the case here in New England. I wish it were I'd be all over that x5 if it were the same price as the MDX. Similarly equipped year old X5s are about 7-8k more than the year old MDX.
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cb4
I haven't had the issues with prior BMWs but I hear you on the total cost of ownership. The MDX has an amazing value per dollar prop. The X5D MSRP is 62k (reasonably equipped). I got them down to 54500 with incentives. Working on the trade in now.
I looked hard at the X5... Here is the problem I had with it. I negotiated the exact same price as you. $54,500 and it didn't even come equipped with an auto dimming rear view mirror. Something my Ford Explorer had in 1997. To get it, I'd have to pay an additional $2,500 for a package that had a bunch of crap I didn't need. It also didn't come with a rear view camera OR an automatic rear tailgate. If I added those things in, the BMW cost well (WELL) over $10K more. The BMW also didn't include a handful of other features that I consider "base model" features. BMW nickled and dimed me to the point where I bailed.

I bought the MDX - it came with the auto dimming rear view mirror, automatic tailgate (I can't believe how much I actually use it) and rear view camera (backing up to my boat trailer is a piece of cake - not bumping the car behind me or a snowbank or running over my kid's toys etc is nice too). I got the "Advance package" model - which included cooling/ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control and blind spot warning (among other things) - to get these on the BMW, even MORE $$. On the MDX, the Advance package was STILL less than the very basic $54K BMW X5 that I specced out.

With the BMW you get a top of the line engine, drive train and driving experience. But the rest is pretty basic - unless you pay tens of thousands more. With the MDX, you get excellent build quality a refined engine and a confident driving feel - along with a TON of features/capabilities.

Take the $54K you were going to spend on the BMW and get an MDX with Advance package for $51K after taxes and title...

Last edited by lumpydog; 02-22-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:24 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by lumpydog
I looked hard at the X5... Here is the problem I had with it. I negotiated the exact same price as you. $54,500 and it didn't even come equipped with an auto dimming rear view mirror. Something my Ford Explorer had in 1997. To get it, I'd have to pay an additional $2,500 for a package that had a bunch of crap I didn't need. It also didn't come with a rear view camera OR an automatic rear tailgate. If I added those things in, the BMW cost well (WELL) over $10K more. The BMW also didn't include a handful of other features that I consider "base model" features. BMW nickled and dimed me to the point where I bailed.

I bought the MDX - it came with the auto dimming rear view mirror, automatic tailgate (I can't believe how much I actually use it) and rear view camera (backing up to my boat trailer is a piece of cake - not bumping the car behind me or a snowbank or running over my kid's toys etc is nice too). I got the "Advance package" model - which included cooling/ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control and blind spot warning (among other things) - to get these on the BMW, even MORE $$. On the MDX, the Advance package was STILL less than the very basic $54K BMW X5 that I specced out.

With the BMW you get a top of the line engine, drive train and driving experience. But the rest is pretty basic - unless you pay tens of thousands more. With the MDX, you get excellent build quality a refined engine and a confident driving feel - along with a TON of features/capabilities.

Take the $54K you were going to spend on the BMW and get an MDX with Advance package for $51K after taxes and title...
you know most of them are all made by the same manufacture for the car manufacture...
http://www.mitocorp.com/auto-dimming...a-display.html

so that package is not totally necessary for the mirror, a little wiring, and maybe a different mirror mount, and you got one...
(but considering the price of the vehicle though, you think it would be standard though...)

and as said the "options with the MDX, basically comes down to a few very basic ones: interior color; exterior color; navi?; AWD or FWD (or trans, depending on exact vehicle in their lineup); and trim level (tech or not)
everything else is an accesory, and can be added after the fact at the dealer, and does not need to be selected when the vehicle is bought

Last edited by friesm2000; 02-22-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by friesm2000
you know most of them are all made by the same manufacture for the car manufacture...
http://www.mitocorp.com/auto-dimming...a-display.html

so that package is not totally necessary for the mirror, a little wiring, and maybe a different mirror mount, and you got one...
(but considering the price of the vehicle though, you think it would be standard though...)
I thought about that.... and it kind of pissed me off... I'm not spending $54K on a car that I have to then re-wire, etc to get something that should be a basic feature. Like XM radio and so many other "add ons" and packages offered by BMW. Death by a thousand cuts.
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:39 PM
B A N N E D

don't get me wrong, with having to wire something into a new vehicle, should not be needed (the wiring actually might already be there though; but still having to go through the hassle of just acquiring the parts is not needed though

it's one of the things i do like about the domestics with how they have done their chassis cabs/work trucks; with running some wiring already through the harness for you, as accessory circuits, that you can use as you please (there are still times you will have to run your own though, especially with bigger wiring necessary for bigger power draws)
Old 02-22-2011 | 10:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by friesm2000
don't get me wrong, with having to wire something into a new vehicle, should not be needed (the wiring actually might already be there though; but still having to go through the hassle of just acquiring the parts is not needed though

it's one of the things i do like about the domestics with how they have done their chassis cabs/work trucks; with running some wiring already through the harness for you, as accessory circuits, that you can use as you please (there are still times you will have to run your own though, especially with bigger wiring necessary for bigger power draws)
I looked into it. The wiring is there. It was doable... not trivial, but doable... The part was $650. It was just too embarrassing to spend that much for a car and then have to go on eBay to buy the part and self install it... Really BMW? Come on!
Old 02-23-2011 | 10:21 AM
cb4
Cruisin'

X5 35D $4500 is given , ...
unfortunately the eco credit is down to 3500. I would have liked the extra 1k but that changed as of january.
Old 02-23-2011 | 11:52 AM
Intermediate

I know the feeling . Had it eating me for a while. After years with BMW and reading blogs it gets hard to depart with the brand most associate with success. Acura has it share of haters (mostly for the grille and 40 buttons dash ) . No matter how nice Acura dealers service it won't be close to what BMW offers. But the fact is that you will see them far less.
Old 02-23-2011 | 02:23 PM
Instructor

I passed on the X5 and got the MDX when a friend of mine couldn't get 4 guys and their golf clubs in the car. Had to fold the rear seat down to even get one set in the back area is so narrow.
Old 02-23-2011 | 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I know the feeling . Had it eating me for a while. After years with BMW and reading blogs it gets hard to depart with the brand most associate with success. Acura has it share of haters (mostly for the grille and 40 buttons dash ) . No matter how nice Acura dealers service it won't be close to what BMW offers. But the fact is that you will see them far less.
With what kind success asociates to you BMW? Just curious.
Old 02-23-2011 | 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Dzionny_dzionassi .
Most mature owners of the BMWs are people who have pretty good income . I am not talkig about young fanboys who spend entire paycheck on lease of their 3ers. That is what I actually meat by stereotype of success BMW add MB project.
T
Old 02-23-2011 | 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Also if you read my previous posts I left BMW for Acura MDX and pretty happy with what it offers. I still love their ///M division though.
Old 02-23-2011 | 10:06 PM
B A N N E D

40 button dashes, much rather have that, with dedicated buttons for functions (ie: i know what each button does/is located from memory), when i am going down the highway at 80, then to be trying to sort through a menu driven screen with using the iDrive

and as far as service, true though, you don't go in nearly as often with an acura
Old 02-23-2011 | 11:22 PM
Instructor

No matter how nice Acura dealers service it won't be close to what BMW offers. But the fact is that you will see them far less.
Less is More!

M3EP, nice observation of both car's attributes.

Last edited by InWI; 02-23-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-24-2011 | 06:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Back in 2007, I looked at the MDX and then it did not come standard with a power tailgate. I wanted one but I had to buy a DVD entertainment system just to get the power tailgate. Even Acura thought that was dumb so they changed their marketing packages.
BTW - I ended up buying a Pilot, hated it until 2010 and then bought the MDX.
Old 02-24-2011 | 06:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just priced an X5 (on their site) and a similarly equipped X5 is almost 20K more than an MDX. But, you should get a 25K discount for having to tolerate idrive!
Old 02-24-2011 | 05:36 PM
Intermediate

I never understood how generation that text with "eyes shut" can have issues with an IDrive.The new generation of it isn't all that bad. I like Audi MMI better though (Bang & Olufsen isn't too shabby either). But after all , it is still important how you feel every morning starting that car. I , personally, take my MDX with grain of salt.
Old 02-24-2011 | 08:10 PM
cb4
Cruisin'

Deposit down and car ordered. 2011 BMW X5d with premium, tech, comfort access, 3rd row, cold climate, and a few other goodies.

I couldn't find any used x5ds that had the options I wanted so just went new.

Thanks all for the help. The MDX is a fantastic car but it just didn't light my fire like the X5 did. Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2011 | 10:52 PM
B A N N E D

I never understood how generation that text with "eyes shut" can have issues with an IDrive.The new generation of it isn't all that bad. I like Audi MMI better though (Bang & Olufsen isn't too shabby either). But after all , it is still important how you feel every morning starting that car. I , personally, take my MDX with grain of salt.
personally i hate the new "touch" phones because you do not have actual buttons to feel, but again just location (what says you are not a little off, and push the wrongs button)
Old 02-25-2011 | 11:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cb4
Deposit down and car ordered. 2011 BMW X5d with premium, tech, comfort access, 3rd row, cold climate, and a few other goodies.

I couldn't find any used x5ds that had the options I wanted so just went new.

Thanks all for the help. The MDX is a fantastic car but it just didn't light my fire like the X5 did. Thanks again!
Congrats!!!
Old 03-07-2011 | 05:45 PM
Intermediate

I'm contemplating this purchase in the next couple months as well. It comes down to the bmw x5/ x5D and the mdx. What's making this decision slightly difficult is that the x5 qualifies for a business deduction (saves me about $18k) so price is almost a wash with the mdx.

I have a 335i sedan right now and is very happy with it. Haven't had too many problems although they did replaced both turbos and recently the fuel pump. I didn't even know I had problems with the turbos at the time. But I heard the x5 is not as reliable as the 335i sedan. The fact that the new x5 is a turbo doesn't give me such a good feeling. However, I love how bmw cars drive. I haven't driven the mdx yet so maybe I should give it a try. All I know is the TL was not even close to the 335i.

Any of you have owned BMW's previously and how does the mdx drives compare to your bmw?
Old 03-07-2011 | 06:17 PM
cb4
Cruisin'

The MDX is closer to the X5 in the fun department than the TL is to the 335.

If it's for the same price the X5 is a no brainer to me. But you should definitely drive the MDX before making your decicision. The MDX is a great drive. For the money its the best "drivers" SUV available.
Old 03-08-2011 | 12:07 AM
Instructor

VERY disappointing to hear about the problems with BMW turbo'd motors, and now sounds like the v8 M3? I knew the German car marques have had electrical problems in the early to mid-2000's and I thought those were finally being worked out. But I was really salivating over the 335i and the M3 coupes for my next ride. Now I hear about multiple motor replacements in the same car (M3), turbo replacements and fuel pump replacements being a common theme with the 335i. What is going on with German quality control and systems development? No excuse for that considering the cost of a M3...
Old 03-08-2011 | 01:13 PM
Intermediate

In terms of money, both suv would cost me about the same. Can't deduct the mdx as a business car since it's 55lbs too lite. I like the look of the x5 better, more muscular and balance to me. Although the mdx is starting to grow on me. I love the new x5 the first day it came out.

If I were to keep these cars past warranty, the mdx wins hands down. I owned an '06 TL and loved how all I needed was a couple $20 oil changes. I would never own any german cars past warranty. My buddy recently traded in his '01 M5 for an '11 S4. He said over the life of the M5, a total of $86k was spent on warranty work. So yes, the 335i will be gone before it hits 6yrs or 100k miles. In the meantime I love the 335i, it's one of my favorite cars of all time. Worth all those trips to the dealers for repairs (that I don't have to pay for).

Will take the mdx for a drive to see how I like it. Thanks for the input.