School me on Acura Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
School me on Acura Remote Start

Way, waaaaay before I made this post I RTFM. Twice. I didn't find my answer so here's the question:

2013 Tech. I bought the Acura brand remote start despite the limited range because I wanted the integrated features such as turning on the defrost and bumping the heat or AC if the temp was above or below a certain spec. From the 2nd floor of my house I can see my MDX and the remote works fine from there, but it does not adjust the temp. If I get home and had the thermo set to say 65*, after the next morning when ambient temps are in the 30s, the interior is still set to 65*, not 71* as noted in the instructions. Same goes for the A/C in the summer. The instructions have a procedure for checking to see if the auto temp feature is on or off and mine is on.

I had my dealer look at it and all they said was "I don't think it adjusts the temp". The instructions clearly say it does.

Is there something I'm missing? A setting on the inside or something?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
I just installed it on my 2012 Tech a few months ago for the same reasons you did. Did you to check the temp settings while its running on the remote start? Regardless of what I have the temps set on manually, while its running on the remote start, that overrides your settings and warms the car at a default 72 degrees. Then when you start it with the key, it will go back to whatever your last manual set temp was.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg D
I just installed it on my 2012 Tech a few months ago for the same reasons you did. Did you to check the temp settings while its running on the remote start? Regardless of what I have the temps set on manually, while its running on the remote start, that overrides your settings and warms the car at a default 72 degrees. Then when you start it with the key, it will go back to whatever your last manual set temp was.
Maybe that's the piece I was missing. I assumed that whatever the settings were when I got in and turned the key were what the module had it set at.

The module for my 2013 requires me to shut off the car, unlock the doors, get in then restart. At that point the temp is wherever I left when I last exited the vehicle. How do you check to see the temp setting? I guess look through the windows while the vehicle is running under control of the remote start?

Do I need to say how I hate having to shut off the car to get in and drive away? H A T E it.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
that's super weird...why would Acura do that? theft prevention?
Old 02-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
that's super weird...why would Acura do that? theft prevention?
Great question. Must have been a compromise between the lawyers and insurance company. It's a pain. I only remote start from home so I don't keep the fob with the rest of my keys. So instead of leaving it in the house when I take off in the morning I have to keep it on me. Not that it weighs anything, but it's another lump in my pocket. More of a pain that I can't just unlock the door, get in and stick the key in the ignition to take over control of the car, like my girlfriend's old 2004 Camry.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Perhaps because the Remote Start is not a real keyless entry device (As in, Detects when is near the car). That would require a new radar sensor and a whole lots of stuff the 2nd Gen wasn´t designed to do because it was never considered a Standard Option.
So the Remote Start in the 2G Is basically to warm up the car or cool it down in the summer but that´s it, It does not replace the standard Ignition Procedure so the car shuts down once the door is opened because the standard anti-theft device hasn´t changed one bit with the addition of the Remote Start.

Since the 3rd gen was designed with full Keyless Entry in mind the Remote Start is flawless in there, This is why I don´t bother with Optional OEM Remote Starters.. Aftermarket does it so much better! My TL-S does not shut down at all but I have a VIPER Remote Start System and the car will Turn Off if I press the brake pedal without the Viper Sensor inside the car.