Real Head scratch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Real Head scratch Problem

Hello FOLKS!

Well today I have a real head scratch here...
I am having an issue with my suspension something that hugely resembles that of a failing Sway Bar Link (Knocks over un-even bumps that only hit 1 side of the car). I have checked the suspension over and over and over again, Today I removed the wheel yet again to check stuff (Knock is prominent in Drivers Side).

Now stuff I checked:
1.- Lower Ball Joint (Using the Jack Method for Movement)
2.- Tie Rods Inner and Outer.
3.- Sway Bar Links (I swore this was the problem but nope)
4.- Sway Bar Bushings.

Everything has come up clear, Car currently has 85K I bought it with 72K, No records on Shock Change. But this is the shocker.. Wait for it.
The knock only happens when the car is COLD.

Early in the morning I have to get my car outside of the garage there is the sidewalk edge and since I live in a closed street I have to lower my car diagonally (1st Knock) then there is the rain gutter when I have to turn (2nd Knock) then there is a bad street that gets me into the highway (Multiple Knocks) once the car gets to operating temp and I have driven multiple miles there is absolutely no knocks.. Nothing, Nada... Its smooth as silk. sooo What the hell is going on?

Last edited by Skirmich; 05-19-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
just curious- how about your engine mounts?
Old 05-19-2016, 06:09 PM

They feel fine.. No abnormal vibration with A/C or bumps with gear shifts... Also Reverse when Cold is smooth as hell.. I can clearly see the transmission mounts every time I remove the wheel to check stuff they look healthy, not dry or broken.

Also the knock can be felt with my feet so I can point the knock into the driver side suspension not near the center where the engine mounts are. I will try to do an Engine Mount Test (Brake + Drive and Brake + Reverse to see the engine movement). Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
The 4G TL had a similar issue where grease would pool up in the ball joint and cause noise until the joint/grease warmed up and was able to lubricate everything properly. There's a TSB for it so you may have a failing ball joint.

Also how did you check the endlinks? Did you try tightening them any more?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:36 PM

I check the sway links as we do on the TL check for play in the links with both wheels off the ground so there is no sway link action going on.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
May be a stretch, but could it be sign of a failing driver side axle?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:10 PM

The drivers side is fine but my passenger side is making terrible noise even worse now than before, this is because the boot torn and all the grease came out not because it was damaged before. I have both Axles ready to install anyway but I don´t have the money yet to do it this is going to happen at the end of the month.

Both are OEM and they were quite expensive :/ hope they give me lots of worry free miles
Name:  IMG_0253_zpsdgz5hvoo.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  205.6 KB

The issue still is that the side that does the knock is the drivers side and that axle seem to be fine (No torn boots apparently).

Last edited by Skirmich; 05-20-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
The drivers side is fine but my passenger side is making terrible noise even worse now than before, this is because the boot torn and all the grease came out not because it was damaged before. I have both Axles ready to install anyway but I don´t have the money yet to do it this is going to happen at the end of the month.

Both are OEM and they were quite expensive :/ hope they give me lots of worry free miles

The issue still is that the side that does the knock is the drivers side and that axle seem to be fine (No torn boots apparently).
I highly suggest you try to figure it out before you have to pay for labor twice for suspension work!

Why didn't you buy raxles? Way cheaper than OEM axles and work way better with lifetime warranty!
Old 05-21-2016, 04:30 AM

Basically because I didn't know about them I will keep the OEM and rebuild them anyway, Eventually of course.

Last edited by Skirmich; 05-21-2016 at 04:34 AM.