Need a new 7 passenger SUV, MDX or JX35?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need a new 7 passenger SUV, MDX or JX35?

I am looking for the new SUV, thinking about the JX35, but I heard about the new redesign 2013 MDX is around the corner. Should I wait for the new MDX? any one has any additional info when new mdx comes out? If I get the 12 model now, how much discount should i expect?
(haven't do much research yet, better ask the expert here first)
Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was just in at an Acura dealer this morning. I talked to one of the sales guys there and asked if he knew when the new 2013 model was coming out. He told me around Nov or Dec, but that it wouldn't be redesigned until the 2014 model year came out.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
The redesign will likely be introduced at the NY Auto Show next April, with sales soon thereafter as a 2014 model.
If you can/want to wait, why not?
2012s are pretty discounted, I got mine at about 6-7K off MSRP last month, but that will depend where you are located (I got a tech for 40.5K before fees)
I considered the JX for a second, and crossed it off right after I drove it. When you compare it on paper the MDX is a better performer, more power, traditional transmission, better road feel, etc. If you just want to move people, then the JX may be a good alternative to a minivan. It's great inside, plenty of luxury to go around, and you can have all the tech you want.
Having said that, I picked the MDX because the gas savings were not that great for me to compromise the better performer car, the second row in the JX feels very low, and not comfortable, the third row however is better, with trunk space behind it, the MDX doesn't have that.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
hmm...get a heavily discounted 12 MDX or wait for no budge on the price 1st yr redesign of the 14 MDX...

my dealer was offering fairly aggressvie pricing on a 12 MDX with tech (38990) this past weekend. so deals are to be had for sure. also...they offered 0% finanacing as well (for qualified buyers). depends on what you want...rumors on the redesign in terms of featuers...are just that, rumors. creature comforts, tech....how particular are you going to be for the current gen vs the next gen in terms of features?? i know some people complained about the lack of push button start and keyless entry, standard this and standard that in terms of some of the tech stuff.

is it a now purchase or is it a think about it and wait to see what comes out. what's your timeline and current needs?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced

I'm looking to buy soon too, and here some reasoning that I'm looking at for my purchase:

So what is the extra cost if the new 2013 MDX gas mileage does increase and prices for the new model year doesn't budge (which is typical)?

Doing a rough figure...

If the 2012 MDX gets 16mpg today (lowest city rating) and it increases to 19mpg (based on the new RDX city, though I would expect it to be about 18mpg) and figuring 12,000 miles per year with all city driving...

It comes out to an extra cost of $474 per year for gas based on $4.00 per gallon of gas. That would probably be the high end. ([12,000/16mpg]-[12,000/19mpg])*$4 per gallon gas

If you look at highway mileage, it would be even less...around $270 per year....so the actual cost will be somewhere in between.

So if you were looking to buy a vehicle soon (next few months), a 2013 MDX (if available then) would be sold closer full retail while a 2012 may be sold at a $5,000 discount (just guessing)....and assuming they are the same vehicle with the same options, it would take 10-11 years of ownership at the maximum $474 per year in gas prices to make up the difference if you bought a 2012 vs 2013 model year.

Of course, that doesn't take into account any upgrades or changes Acura makes to the 2013 model. My math may not be perfect, but think about what you would get now with a reduced cost vs a new at full price. In other words, buy a 2012 soon if you are looking to buy a MDX instead of waiting for the 2013.

And my suggestion, if you're going to buy a new vehicle - buy it around the 26th day of the month (e.g. last weekend of the month) for the maximum discount. Dealers have monthly/quarterly budgets to make and incentives to gain. The dealer I talked to today, mentioned $4,000 of the MSRP, and that was before any negotiation.

Last edited by marjenmiller; 07-03-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^the 2013 is unlikely to have any changes from the 2012, esp since the redesign is scheduled to debut as a 2014 model.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

I searched through the web yesterday and found some links saying that 2013 may comes out Fall this year.
I am not in a hurry, can wait, but not too long.
The JX doesn't appeal much to me somehow, but will test drive it anyway maybe later this weekend.

I heard my friend said his friend can get the 2012 MDX tech package for 39k before the fees/taxes. That is roughly 7k off the msrp.

it is a tough decision for me if I should wait for new redesign or get the 2012....
Old 07-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
test drive the jx. if you like comfort and quiet you will be impressed. and I am someone who loves the mdx and it would be on my list but the jx tech kills it
Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 AM
StayAtHomeDad

2012 and 2013 are the same car. The 39k deal has been going on fr a while, not sure is still on though.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by huynh919
I searched through the web yesterday and found some links saying that 2013 may comes out Fall this year.
I am not in a hurry, can wait, but not too long.
The JX doesn't appeal much to me somehow, but will test drive it anyway maybe later this weekend.

I heard my friend said his friend can get the 2012 MDX tech package for 39k before the fees/taxes. That is roughly 7k off the msrp.

it is a tough decision for me if I should wait for new redesign or get the 2012....
you are aware the redesign is NOT due out this fall. it will debut next fall of 2013 (most likely) as a 2014. and yes the 2013's will be out this fall but it will be essentially the same car as the 2012 with ZERO changes.

the JX seems a little underpowered from what i read considering it's size.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also in the market for a replacement for our RX350. I've been checking out the Infiniti JX, almost pulled the trigger, but have reservations with it's power and CVT after a couple of test drives. I test drove the MDX yesterday afternoon and wow, this car just drives much better. Power, smoothness and handling is just phenomenal. I'm sure the 2013 or next Gen will even be much improved. JX is nice and has lots of room - but the CVT and only 265 hp - I don't know. I'm contemplating in just getting the 2012 MDX with at least $5K off the MSRP , but I'm thinking of waiting for the next GEN. I think my sight is on the MDX now after the test drive experience with it - i just fell in love the way it drives.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
you are aware the redesign is NOT due out this fall. it will debut next fall of 2013 (most likely) as a 2014. and yes the 2013's will be out this fall but it will be essentially the same car as the 2012 with ZERO changes.

the JX seems a little underpowered from what i read considering it's size.
Oh really, I can't wait that long.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Huynh, for what it's worth, if you're in the market for a 7-pass SUV and have a little decision time, you should also check out the Mazda CX-9 and the Buick Enclave.

For my , the MDX is hands down the best overall 7-pass SUV across the board, but it's in one of the most competent segments and the options deserved to be explored.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm partial to the MDX, but you should check out the new Durango and Explorer too. Both very nice vehicles.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:51 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Explorer Sport (not the two door version) is coming out pretty soon....will have 350HP and 350lbf..Priced at around 40K....that's another good option.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/08/f...t-from-40-720/

Last edited by wrestrepo; 07-05-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

OP-what do you want out of the car??? besides the 7 passanger part.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you really need 7 Passenger automobile you should really consider Honda odyssey. The comfort to haul 7 passengers in an Odyssey doesn't even compare to Mdx.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally I would choose the new JX35 over the current MDX. But that's because I like to hold my cars for 10 years or so, and don't want to be driving an outdated design. But if you are comparing the next-gen 2014 MDX vs JX35, that is a totally different question. I expect the next-gen MDX to be a great option.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums
Personally I would choose the new JX35 over the current MDX. But that's because I like to hold my cars for 10 years or so, and don't want to be driving an outdated design. But if you are comparing the next-gen 2014 MDX vs JX35, that is a totally different question. I expect the next-gen MDX to be a great option.
2014...I sure hope so, though the quality of the new 2013 RDX sure is a downgrade to a "Honda" level vehicle instead of an Acura in my opinion. The leather quality and seat comfort are both horrible and remind me of my Odyssey. The rest of the interior is just 'blah' for the RDX and really should be a CR-V cheaper version.

My current Acura's leather is over 10 years old, with many more miles on it and it looks like new because it was a good quality leather, while my 6 year old Honda looks like I've been rough on it (which I haven't) and it needs the seat replaced, too many TSBs/recalls and other issues they've had.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by marjenmiller
2014...I sure hope so, though the quality of the new 2013 RDX sure is a downgrade to a "Honda" level vehicle instead of an Acura in my opinion. The leather quality and seat comfort are both horrible and remind me of my Odyssey. The rest of the interior is just 'blah' for the RDX and really should be a CR-V cheaper version.

My current Acura's leather is over 10 years old, with many more miles on it and it looks like new because it was a good quality leather, while my 6 year old Honda looks like I've been rough on it (which I haven't) and it needs the seat replaced, too many TSBs/recalls and other issues they've had.
I am not sure what you are comparing the RDX to, the new gen is definitely an upgrade from the first gen RDX. It may not be "up to par" with what you are expecting, but it is definitely not a downgrade.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
If your leaning towards the JX, you better act quick because i was just told by 2 different dealerships that msrp is going to go up by $1500. Apparently they are selling like hotcakes!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Intermediate

All, thanks for your help.
We finally had a chance to test out both of them. The main driver is the lady in the house, so she rather wait for the new MDX to see how it turns out next yr. I think it worths the wait.
The Infiniti is little under pwr (for me), it seems too long for her to back in/out of the parking lot. The body style doesn't attractive to her much.
The Acura drive great, but doesn't like the interior wood trim (only available in gray wood trim). The steering wheel doesn't come with wood trim either (own Acura for too long, the steering leather will deteriorate and showing black leather inside, look dirty after few yrs), the mdx bumper has big black unpainted bumper that look really ugly on other exterior color except for black and gray.
Other than that, they are great suv.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

so you're waiting for the 2014 to come out in the fall of 2013?? 'cause 2012 and 2013 models...will be the same with the exception of color changes. that's it.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I am not sure what you are comparing the RDX to, the new gen is definitely an upgrade from the first gen RDX. It may not be "up to par" with what you are expecting, but it is definitely not a downgrade.
I don't know how the earlier RDX's were, but when I went and sat in the new 2013 RDX at the dealer, the seats were cheaper and less comfortable compared to the 2012 MDX I sat in right after it and the RDX had similar comfort and quality compared to my Honda Odyssey that I own right now. To me, that's a downgrade.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by marjenmiller
I don't know how the earlier RDX's were, but when I went and sat in the new 2013 RDX at the dealer, the seats were cheaper and less comfortable compared to the 2012 MDX I sat in right after it and the RDX had similar comfort and quality compared to my Honda Odyssey that I own right now. To me, that's a downgrade.
Sorry but you are comparing apples and oranges. If you were to put side by side a TSX and an RL there would be clear differences. The same is true for comparing the RDX and MDX, there are differences, and you would expect to see them to justify the price increase.
If you don't think that the quality of the new RDX is up to par, you can say that, but I disagree when you call it a downgrade since the quality from the previous generation RDX to the new one took a great leap in the right direction. I know that because I used to own one.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced

Sorry but you are comparing apples and oranges. If you were to put side by side a TSX and an RL there would be clear differences. The same is true for comparing the RDX and MDX, there are differences, and you would expect to see them to justify the price increase.
If you don't think that the quality of the new RDX is up to par, you can say that, but I disagree when you call it a downgrade since the quality from the previous generation RDX to the new one took a great leap in the right direction. I know that because I used to own one.
Don't take offense. I don't think you understand what I said. My Odyssey Touring cost just as much as the new RDX, so I wasn't comparing price or models as you're suggesting. What I was comparing were the seats (comfort) and leather (quality) - not the different models. I just wasn't impressed.

In my opinion, Acura did not do a great job on the new RDX seats and were delivering the same type of seat/leather on the new RDX as they did on my Odyssey - which are cheap compared to other Acura vehicles like the MDX (which I sat in right afterwards) or even an older TL (which I own).

As for the rest of the new RDX, the vehicle just didn't resonate with me as something I would buy or need, but I like that they were able to put the V6 in it and have some decent legroom in the back for adults. Just my
Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 AM
StayAtHomeDad

I'm not taking offense, we are cool. I do understand what you said, it's just a "technicality" when you say downgrade because the new one is a great improvement over the first gen.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also looking at a 2012. Currently own a 08 tech with res. considering advance, but only have a few gripes. No keyless entry and start, no lumbar support on the passenger seat, and must get res, to get heated rear seats. Kids are older, can give them each an iPad for the price of the res, but really like rear heated seats. Lumbar is an issue on trips, not sure if upgrade leather and seats on advance are better than my current. Looks like prices are being discounted almost 10 percent, plus additional 1500 dealer incentive and 1000 loyalty. Seems reasonable to buy now and trade for 2015 after they work out the new model(2014) kinks. Would relly like the upgraded nav and ent system that has bing, aha radio pandoravetc.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by kssod
Also looking at a 2012. Currently own a 08 tech with res. considering advance, but only have a few gripes. No keyless entry and start, no lumbar support on the passenger seat, and must get res, to get heated rear seats. Kids are older, can give them each an iPad for the price of the res, but really like rear heated seats. Lumbar is an issue on trips, not sure if upgrade leather and seats on advance are better than my current. Looks like prices are being discounted almost 10 percent, plus additional 1500 dealer incentive and 1000 loyalty. Seems reasonable to buy now and trade for 2015 after they work out the new model(2014) kinks. Would relly like the upgraded nav and ent system that has bing, aha radio pandoravetc.
Who knows how the new cars will be "packaged"....you will probably still need the RES for heated seats, but, will it be mounted on the headrest? or in the same position as now?
Keyless was a big issue for me, I have had the occasional loaner and love having push start, but I wasn't going to let that be a deal breaking issue for me. I don't know how the seats are in the 08, but the 12 premium leather are phenomenal.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would consider the Advance package. I have the 2010 MDX Advance which is the same as the 2011, 2012, and will be the same as the 2013 except maybe for color options. The Advance offers a higher level of safety, handling, and comfort.

Comfort: Extra cushioning in the front seats, perforated Milano premium leather, and ventilated front seats. No longer arrive at my destination on those hot summer days with the back of my shirt wet.

Comfort + Handling + Safety: The Adaptive cruise control is great. Have driven 100 miles on the highway without touching either the accelerator or the brake pedal. Active Suspension system gives a nice smooth ride - much smoother on bumpy roads than my 2003 Infiniti sedan. When the Vehicle Stability Assist kicks in, the active suspension kicks in to give the best traction at each wheel.

Handling + Safety: 19-inch wheels x 8.5 inches puts more tread to the pavement which translates to better handling, resulting in a safer ride. The active damper sport suspension is absolutely wonderful. Most times can't tell the difference between SPORT mode and COMFORT mode since the system is continually working. But on uneven roads which can cause the MDX to wobble back and forth, the SPORT setting cuts the wobble way down. But on speed bumps, the COMFORT setting adds a spring action when the wheel hits the bottom of the bump. Always get the smoothest ride possible while at the same time get the best handling possible. In the SPORT mode, the ride is still much smoother than my 2003 Infiniti sedan.

Safety: The Collision Mitigation Braking System and the Blind Spot detection system.

For me, I couldn't justify spending what an MDX cost without getting the Advance package. It was either get the Tech. package, OR get the Advance package and have it all, and keep it 2 or 3 years longer.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Gary Arnold
I would consider the Advance package. I have the 2010 MDX Advance which is the same as the 2011, 2012, and will be the same as the 2013 except maybe for color options. The Advance offers a higher level of safety, handling, and comfort.

Comfort: Extra cushioning in the front seats, perforated Milano premium leather, and ventilated front seats. No longer arrive at my destination on those hot summer days with the back of my shirt wet.

Comfort + Handling + Safety: The Adaptive cruise control is great. Have driven 100 miles on the highway without touching either the accelerator or the brake pedal. Active Suspension system gives a nice smooth ride - much smoother on bumpy roads than my 2003 Infiniti sedan. When the Vehicle Stability Assist kicks in, the active suspension kicks in to give the best traction at each wheel.

Handling + Safety: 19-inch wheels x 8.5 inches puts more tread to the pavement which translates to better handling, resulting in a safer ride. The active damper sport suspension is absolutely wonderful. Most times can't tell the difference between SPORT mode and COMFORT mode since the system is continually working. But on uneven roads which can cause the MDX to wobble back and forth, the SPORT setting cuts the wobble way down. But on speed bumps, the COMFORT setting adds a spring action when the wheel hits the bottom of the bump. Always get the smoothest ride possible while at the same time get the best handling possible. In the SPORT mode, the ride is still much smoother than my 2003 Infiniti sedan.

Safety: The Collision Mitigation Braking System and the Blind Spot detection system.

For me, I couldn't justify spending what an MDX cost without getting the Advance package. It was either get the Tech. package, OR get the Advance package and have it all, and keep it 2 or 3 years longer.
Could not have said it better myself! That is why I traded my 08 Sport/Ent for my 11 Adv/Ent. But I have to also agree with:

Originally Posted by Andy74
If you really need 7 Passenger automobile you should really consider Honda odyssey. The comfort to haul 7 passengers in an Odyssey doesn't even compare to Mdx.
At the end of this year or early next year I will have to trade/sell the Xer for a van. I only really use the X for trips and we will need more room and you can't beat a minivan for that. I am going to miss the power and handling of this great SUV. I have narrowed it to the Oddy or a Sienna. The Odyssey is built off of the same platform so if Honda would only put the MDX's engine and drivetrain in that would be one hell of a minivan any "man" would be proud to drive!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 PM
10th Gear

I went and test drove both last Saturday and got the MDX. For me the only things that JX had over MDX were the keyless start, which is kind of a big deal, and the fact that you can access the 3rd row without removing the car seat from the second row. Idk if that matters to you a lot but the 3rd row is going to be used occasionally in my car so it's no biggie. As far as accel, handling, ride quality and just general feeling when I drove both, there was no comparison. And the fact that MDX similarly equipped was $6gz cheaper didn't hurt either.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
I am disappointed with the fact that the JX uses the Murano powertrain instead of the FX35. Though fuel economy was likely the primary driver of that decision, that powertrain makes the JX less Infiniti than the rest of the lineup.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
last time I compared those vehicles it seems the MDX has better technology when you compare the features.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by Vividsi
last time I compared those vehicles it seems the MDX has better technology when you compare the features.
I have to disagree there. The JX is a "superior" car, except in the power train (and styling).
I compared them back to back, and for me it was a clear choice as I like the driving experience, but in terms of ergonomics and technology, the JX did come out ahead IMO.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
I have to disagree there. The JX is a "superior" car, except in the power train (and styling).
I compared them back to back, and for me it was a clear choice as I like the driving experience, but in terms of ergonomics and technology, the JX did come out ahead IMO.
Couldn't agree more!