Need Advice on Choosing 2011 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014 | 02:04 PM
6th Gear

Need Advice on Choosing 2011 MDX

Seeking advice from members on the following situation:

Family of 5, kids are now 9, 7 and 4.
Looking to replace current 2008 Mazda5 (yes the small thing) with a three row SUV and are set on an MDX due to what we believe will be the best value and least costly to maintain.

We are looking to finance and are at odds as to which year and package to look for? We've test drove a 2011 MDX Tech with DVD package vehicle with 70,000 km and it worked well however not sure if we should go to a 2012 (believe it is unchanged) or spend the extra money that we don't want to spend for a 2014 demo. Is the 'Advance' or what they term in Canada 'Elite' package worth the extra money and does it come with more headaches and problems (more things can go wrong, 19" wheels = additional tire replacement costs and ride comfort compromise)?

We are shopping for a vehicle in the Toronto or Hamilton area and what to know of any key issues we should be looking for when buying used either from an Acura dealer or privately.

Thanking everyone in advance!
Old 06-02-2014 | 03:26 PM
Instructor

Hey livno316
I live in TO and drive a 2010 MDX Elite. The 2010 and 2011 are essentially the same vehicle and well worth your hard earned dollars. As for the Elite vs Tech - save those dollars and buy the Tech. The extras in the Elite are nice, but only if you have the extra cash to spend, the Tech is very well appointed. As for the 2014, I've been reading an awful lot about it because my lease is up in 30 days - I've decided to buy out my lease - just too many things Acura messed up with the new revision. It rates well with journalists, but if you read posting from owners on this site who know and love Acura, you'll be glad you didn't buy one (at least if you are accustomed to earlier versions).
Anyways, those are my quick thoughts - good luck.
Old 06-02-2014 | 03:41 PM
mrgold35

Pretty much not enough difference between 10-13 models of MDX other than price/mileage to go to a newer model. I recently purchased an 11 MDX off lease in Feb/14. There should be a steady stream of 11 MDXs coming off lease this year. The +11 should have around a year of the factory warranty left if there are any problems and you still have the powertrain warranty on top of that (depending on mileage). The tech model seems to be an excellent choice for the best balance of tech/luxury. Other than the rear heated seats, the Entertainment package doesn't have much to offer. You would get more use getting a couple of iPad mini/tablets for the kids for the rear seat.

If you are planning to keep the vehicle for a while, I would expand my search to get the mileage and color combo you like. I drove 5 hours and spent the night at a hotel to pick up my MDX for the color combo I wanted. Adding a roof rack and/or trailer hitch will give more than enough space for vacations with 5.
Old 06-04-2014 | 08:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by livno316
Seeking advice from members on the following situation:

Family of 5, kids are now 9, 7 and 4.
Looking to replace current 2008 Mazda5 (yes the small thing) with a three row SUV and are set on an MDX due to what we believe will be the best value and least costly to maintain.

We are looking to finance and are at odds as to which year and package to look for? We've test drove a 2011 MDX Tech with DVD package vehicle with 70,000 km and it worked well however not sure if we should go to a 2012 (believe it is unchanged) or spend the extra money that we don't want to spend for a 2014 demo. Is the 'Advance' or what they term in Canada 'Elite' package worth the extra money and does it come with more headaches and problems (more things can go wrong, 19" wheels = additional tire replacement costs and ride comfort compromise)?

We are shopping for a vehicle in the Toronto or Hamilton area and what to know of any key issues we should be looking for when buying used either from an Acura dealer or privately.

Thanking everyone in advance!
IMO stay away from the 2014 model - my father in law has one, he love's it but it's just meh for me. Prior to that he had a 2012 that was awesome, same as ours, just a little different interior and exterior but basically the same.
we have a 2007 Tech with almost 100K on it and with regular maintenance it's just an amazing car. Two kids, 5 and 1, plenty of room for our bikes and all the other junk kids come with.
Go with something certified used, get a car fax and do your homework. It will save you money and you will definitely be happy.
Acura is ruining their brand with these new cars - they're awful.

Good luck in your search!
Old 06-05-2014 | 02:54 PM
6th Gear

Thanks...
Does anyone know the differences in behavior between the Tech (18" wheels) vs. the Elite or 'Advance' package (19" wheels).

I would like to understand what the difference in driving experience is between the two and also if the suspension is different in the Elite/Advance (as well as if it would be more prone to repair).
Old 06-05-2014 | 03:09 PM
mrgold35

The advance models also have Magneto-rheological Suspension (IDS) with Sport and Comfort modes. This system also aids in anti-dive under braking, and improves stability during cornering through the use of intelligent fine adjustments of the suspension driven by vehicle attitude sensors. I think the Advance models have a larger stabilizer bars (not 100% sure). The size of the tire don't make much of a difference compared to the type of tires.

Then you add BSI, CMBS, ACC, 19" wheels, Auto leveling headlights, Heated/cooled front seats, and perforated Milano leather seats on top of the IDS.

I've only driven the advance model; but, it feels just as good and sometimes better as my RDX+eibach lowering springs. I also upgraded my tires to Continental DWS 255/45ZR-20; which, will effect handling compared to OEM 19" tires.

Last edited by mrgold35; 06-05-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2014 | 04:13 PM
4th Gear

Just bought a '13 Advance---best car I've owned---we do a lot of road trips so the blind spot indicator--the bigger tires ( check Discount Tire- they don't cost that much more) and ride adjust are key--- really love the cooled seats and the adaptive cruise control-- I passed on a '14-- lot of rattles noises��-- Good Luck!,
Old 06-18-2014 | 09:16 AM
6th Gear

Thanks to everyone for their assistance - appreciate the insight.
I've selected a 2011 MDX Tech Package (navi & DVD) with 52,000 km as the difference in price for a similar 'Advance' or what is know in Canada as an 'Elite" model was over $4,500 extra that I was unable to justify.

I am picking up the car on Thursday - ready for the new wheels for my wife that'll sure beat driving her '08 Mazda 5 that has chronic rear shock issues.
Old 07-18-2014 | 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Also looking at 2011 mdxs, did they lock the nav down while driving in this year?
Old 07-18-2014 | 05:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by knv8
Also looking at 2011 mdxs, did they lock the nav down while driving in this year?
No its not locked on 2011's.

Get the Advance model, the 19 inch wheels just makes the car look so much better, cooled seats are needed if you live in hotter climates, I have mine on all the time year round....adjustable shocks on the fly is great, collision braking system is a great safety feature to have and it works well, blind spot indicator is a MUST have in this wide SUV cause you can't see anything when you turn your head to change lanes, and best of all the color combo Umber leather interior with full black headliner is what makes the advance look and feel like a luxury Acura brand supposed too....its worth it.
Old 07-18-2014 | 07:54 AM
Racer

I'm pretty happy with my Advance. Don't know that I would ever step down.
Old 07-18-2014 | 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Good to hear its not locked. I would love an advance model but its hard to find. I guess I would have to test drive an advance in sport mode to see if its worth the extra cost.
Old 07-18-2014 | 05:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by knv8
Good to hear its not locked. I would love an advance model but its hard to find. I guess I would have to test drive an advance in sport mode to see if its worth the extra cost.

The difference is subtle but noticeable, especially cornering or making hard turns. I always drive mine on sports mode. My wife hits the comfort button now and then, and when I get back in the car I immediately notice the difference in the ride. Not sure if that by itself is worth the money, but for me the CMBS is worth every penny as well as the blind spot assist.