MDX vs. X5 vs. ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Persuit of twin turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MDX vs. X5 vs. ?

Right now I drive a 335. I've had 2 BMWs and love them both.

I (we're) at that point in our lives where we want to start a family, so I want a bigger car. I've narrowed to the X5 mostly, but now thoughts of the MDX have crept up, as well as the RX hybrid.

The X5 the way I want it will be 68-69k, plus tax, etc. I don't, and know, this won't handle like my 335. SUV vs. sedan - am not expecting the same handling.

The MDX I want would be the Advanced, so let's say 52k.

The RX hybrid would be 56k.

I'm really on the fence here. I love the BMW, but also am in money saving mode for the future... The MDX has a lot of options it seems. I've driven an older RX400, and I like the Hybrid idea.

Thoughts?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:48 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
ok you're asking this on an acura site...so....

MDX. the lexus will be a bit soft in terms of handling and ride quality. if you're looking for sporty with all the bells and whistles, the MDX will give you the best bang for your buck. reliability is very good as well. maintenance costs will be much lower than the BMW, it'll give you plenty of sportiness and beefier engine, BUT you pay out the ear for that. maintenance after the first 3 yrs will be expensive from what i hear (you should be familiar since i see you've owned bimmers).

you could always wait until the MDX redesign. there is supposedly a hybrind model in the works, but not sure if they will be released at the same time of the base engine versions.

SHAWD in the MDX is phenomenal. for such a heavy car at 4500 pounds, it handles quite well like a sedan. the sport suspension in teh advanced model will give you the best of both worlds...stiff sports sedan handling and comfort mode for cushy trip on roads filled with potholes.

have you test driven the MDX advanced model?? compare the advanced with the tech model MDX (base suspension). then test the RX. find some twisties to really appreciate what each car is capable of. i dont' care much for the interior of the lexus (very minivan like). ultimately it comes down to what YOU want and what is MOST ideal for YOUR needs and wants in the car within your budget.
The following users liked this post:
RyanDe680 (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 02:14 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^ Also have you test driven the X5? Many reviews praise it for its sporty-like handling. I'm hands down for the MDX because of it's value, maintenance costs, and reliability. You're a BMW owner so you'll know what you want in terms of handling, reliability, etc. I hope I can land my hands on a MDX. It's just too good to pass up, plus Acuras have stellar resale too. Very cheap to maintain and plus it's a Honda.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Persuit of twin turbo

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
ok you're asking this on an acura site...so....

MDX. the lexus will be a bit soft in terms of handling and ride quality. if you're looking for sporty with all the bells and whistles, the MDX will give you the best bang for your buck. reliability is very good as well. maintenance costs will be much lower than the BMW, it'll give you plenty of sportiness and beefier engine, BUT you pay out the ear for that. maintenance after the first 3 yrs will be expensive from what i hear (you should be familiar since i see you've owned bimmers).

you could always wait until the MDX redesign. there is supposedly a hybrind model in the works, but not sure if they will be released at the same time of the base engine versions.

SHAWD in the MDX is phenomenal. for such a heavy car at 4500 pounds, it handles quite well like a sedan. the sport suspension in teh advanced model will give you the best of both worlds...stiff sports sedan handling and comfort mode for cushy trip on roads filled with potholes.

have you test driven the MDX advanced model?? compare the advanced with the tech model MDX (base suspension). then test the RX. find some twisties to really appreciate what each car is capable of. i dont' care much for the interior of the lexus (very minivan like). ultimately it comes down to what YOU want and what is MOST ideal for YOUR needs and wants in the car within your budget.
Yeah, I know its an Acura site, but I know some of you guys aren't just Acura fans To be honest, I come here cause over the years I have found you guys to be honest.. and hilarious too.

I have not tested an Advanced.

When is the redesign?

The maintenance is a so so for me. With the BMW, its maintenance free for the first 4 years. Yeah yeah, I know thats all in the price.

My wife has a CRV now, she loves it but she isn't a big car person at all. I know the maintenance on that car is not expensive at all.

I've seen the RX and I dont care for the new interior either. I had a Lexus as well, and the reliability and service is great.

Last time my 335 was in for service, I asked for an X5 and they provided. Car is great, love it. I'm just on the fence if I love it for 15-20k more.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i believe the redesign is due out this fall as a 2013 model, that's all i've heard. honda tends to be very hush hush about any upcoming redesigns until they are released. i'm curious as to what the new MDX will look like as well as the new 5th gen TL next fall as a 2014 model.

i can think of a lot of other things i would rather spend 15-20k on.

you need to drive the advanced model and play with the sport and comfort modes of the suspension. however be forewarned...replacing the shocks on the advanced model aren't cheap ($800 a piece) vs the standard shocks ($100).

up to you what you really want: a name, performance, value, looks...etc. i just find BMWs to be a little overrated for the price, but that's me. dont' get me wrong i think the M series cars look and sound awesome while the performance is great...i just feel my money is better spent elsewhere (best bang for your buck), reliability, etc.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyanDe680
Right now I drive a 335. I've had 2 BMWs and love them both.

I (we're) at that point in our lives where we want to start a family, so I want a bigger car. I've narrowed to the X5 mostly, but now thoughts of the MDX have crept up, as well as the RX hybrid.

The X5 the way I want it will be 68-69k, plus tax, etc. I don't, and know, this won't handle like my 335. SUV vs. sedan - am not expecting the same handling.

The MDX I want would be the Advanced, so let's say 52k.

The RX hybrid would be 56k.

I'm really on the fence here. I love the BMW, but also am in money saving mode for the future... The MDX has a lot of options it seems. I've driven an older RX400, and I like the Hybrid idea.

Thoughts?
I was in the exact same situation as you just 5 months ago. I had an E90 335 that I LOVED. Because of growing family, we had to get something bigger but I miss the 335 ever day I drive anywhere. PHENOMENAL car.

In my opinion, the 335 is so much of a benchmark it makes the MDX seem a little lackluster.... meaning, the MDX isn't as amazing relative to other competitors (335 vs. A4 vs. C350 vs. IS350). But, if you have to get an SUV, it's a solid, though somewhat sensible, choice. If you can afford to "pay to play", the X5 35d or 4.8/5.0 is the way to go. The MDX is great but it's no BMW in terms of driving dynamics and that German "feel". It is, however, infinitely less worrisome in terms of reliability and annoying expensive expenses like RFT tires.

My advice, find some way to keep your E9X 335 and get your family around. God, I miss that car.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^you're comparing an MDX (SUV) to a 335 sedan (or others as you mentioned)?

of course euro cars are going to drive a little different than japanese based imports.

if you're used to a BMW then of course you'll bash on asian imports. however a true basis of comparison needs to be made between cars (SUV to SUV within the same price range, not SUV to sedan) in order to give a fair OBJECTIVE comparison.

OP if you wanna through another euro import in the mix..what about an audi Q5?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
If you want performance, I think the X5 is the way to go. If you want value - most bang for the $$$, the MDX is the clear winner here. If you want comfort/customer service, I think the RX is the way to go. One downside is the RX does not offer 3rd row, if that even matters to you?

Also, in case you haven't seen it, the 2013 RX got leaked: http://www.autospies.com/news/LEAKED...-Lineup-69117/
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Have you considered the XC90?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

^^you're comparing an MDX (SUV) to a 335 sedan (or others as you mentioned)?

of course euro cars are going to drive a little different than japanese based imports.

if you're used to a BMW then of course you'll bash on asian imports. however a true basis of comparison needs to be made between cars (SUV to SUV within the same price range, not SUV to sedan) in order to give a fair OBJECTIVE comparison.

OP if you wanna through another euro import in the mix..what about an audi Q5?
Not exactly. I'm saying there is NO comparison between a 335 and an MDX, but if you must have an SUV, the X5 (perhaps this is stating the obvious) is the closest thing you are going to get (sans a Porsche Cayenne)

I had an E90. Now, I have an MDX. Like others have said... it was a matter of value. The MDX is a solid all-arounder. I'm happy with my decision as it was driven out of necessity, I just miss my 335.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear

Get a base porsche cayenne or a used x5m. I was going to get these instead of my MDX. then i came to my senses. Why am i looking for a 4500+lb family car that I can take to the track.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by sqeclipse
Get a base porsche cayenne or a used x5m. I was going to get these instead of my MDX. then i came to my senses. Why am i looking for a 4500+lb family car that I can take to the track.
lol
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you might want to check the Audi Q7
Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by TSXmeister
you might want to check the Audi Q7
Reliability would be the only thing that'd scare me away...
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
The Rx is much smaller inside and boring to drive. Really the RX just a 5 seater like the RDX. It is annoiing that you have to use the "mouse" to access any features. The seats have no lateral support. you will slide off your leather seat if you try to go around a corner.

I find my MDX to be an egaging drive. It's pretty damn fast and doesn't understeer. LOVE the banging bass.

Edit. are you concerned about gas mileage? The MDX gets like 10 MPG in the city. seriously. But I guess an X5 would be a guzzler as well.

Last edited by Litt; 02-16-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Indeed. My 09 MDX's fuel economy was reason #1 why I opted for a four cylinder 2012 Accord EX rather than the V6 Accord EX. I needed a second car for daily use with an MPG to offset the MDX. So far, so good.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Cherokee SRT8. I would at least consider it; it would be on my list with the MDX and X5.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Bang for Buck you can not beat the MDX. I have had two (07 and 10) and again you got the most for your dollar. Technology is current (except I would like to be control apps from my screen like toyota) and the performance is great for an SUV.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:38 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
If you're trying to start a family, you probably want a vehicle that has good cargo/passenger space and not something that just looks big on the outside. My uncle has both an X5 and 7-series. I find the X5 utterly useless in terms of utility. What good is a family vehicle if you can't take 4 people and all their luggage to the airport. He had my dad drop them off in our Odyssey lol. Plus both his bimmers always seem to have electrical issues even though they are fairly new.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsmooth33
Technology is current (except I would like to be control apps from my screen like toyota) and the performance is great for an SUV.
But in a Toyota/Lexus, you can not program things into the navigation while in drive. There are pros and cos to each.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by honda_nut
But in a Toyota/Lexus, you can not program things into the navigation while in drive. There are pros and cos to each.
As far as I'm aware, Honda/Acura are the only ones that allow you to do this. I know Nissan/Infiniti don't. Not sure about the Germans.

But this feature right here (as minor as it might be) is probably one of my favorites and why i'd consider Acura again. Sounds stupid, i know, but something i've gotten attached to over the years!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
MDX is a much better value with untouchable reliability, decent fuel efficiency, good power and nice interior features.

The X5 will be faster (4.8) and a little tighter but for $17k more.. not worth it IMO.

I have a 99 RX300. Their engines have gotten bigger but the quality has dropped since then.. and the pricetag has jumped. It's also smaller.. scratch it out.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 AM
8th Gear

Although I do like the X5, I find the MDX to be a much better balance between style, features, luxury, price and practicality. These SUVs will never handle like a sedan no matter how the marketing guys spin it. When you're getting an SUV, I think you really have to accept the fact that it's a much bigger, taller, heavier car.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
X5 has reliability issues, unless you can live with that, stay away. what you guys getting in terms of MPG with your mdx? i heard its a gas guzzler, so watch out.

I recommend the GLK350 to be honest...because you are just starting a family, right? that means you will probably have 1 small child or maybe 2 in the next 5-7 years during which time you will be owning this vehicle. So cargo space does not seem too important to you.

Last edited by pickler; 02-28-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm kinda late to the party, but as the car-guy for my family and friends, I'm very familiar with this thread. For ex, I own an MDX, my best friend drove a Q7 then traded it in for an RX450h, my Dad drove an X5, then a Cayenne Turbo, etc.

The three SUVs you mentioned are all very different. It really depends on what you want...but IMO, the Goldilocks choice of the 3 bears is the MDX, as it's truly the best all-rounder. But ultimately, you need to ask yourself if you want...

Performance? Obviously the X5's forte. The MDX's SHAWD is very impressive, however, but as a former E46 owner, you and I know you can't beat BMW. But you'll pay for it...

Bang-for-the-buck/Cost? The MDX, hands down. I would put the Buick Enclave in this category, but it appears GM's Lambdas are nowhere near your radar.

Utility/Space? The X5 and MDX offer 3-rows, the RX only 2. Having a 2-year-old son and an active wife, we need 3-rows and would never consider 2 again...

Technology? They all have their pros/cons and I'm not sure your views on iDrive, but IMO Acura has the most intuitive hands-free system. Audio is impressive in all 3. But it's a HUGE deal for me to be able to change directions while driving (I cannot do this in my Mazda6 and it frustrates me to no end). I believe my Dad's 2008 X5 allowed you to change on the fly as well...

Fuel Economy? If I am to assume cost is the leading factor for wanting a hybrid, then believe it or not, I think the regular Lexus RX350 is the winner here. For 2012, the RX350 now only requires 87 octane and has a 24mpg rating on the highway (the RX450h is only 28hwy, albeit 30mpg city). The MDX, X5, and the RX450h all require premium fuel and the MDX/X5 have so-so mpg ratings...

Reliability? Acura/Lexus are obviously your best bets here; BMWs are good for a while, then they age quickly.

Jack of all trades? Bottom-line, the MDX doesn't disappoint in any category. Although coming out of an E90, I think you need to look at the Advance package with its sport suspension w/active damper system, 19s, and ventilated front seats.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
R*D*X* (03-16-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear

I know, I know. No one believe in these Mag Review and Comparison anymore but read it strictly for the raw performance numbers. The X5 beat the MDX in almost every categories BUT not by much. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM
8th Gear

I had my eye on an X5 before choosing the MDX. My thoughts...

X5: I do like the styling a little bit more but my wife liked the MDX's subtlety. Performance and handling seems tighter. Cargo-space similar but I believe the MDX actually has more volume. The X5 was a little more expensive and had slightly worse fuel economy although that wasn't a deciding factor. Reliability always a potential issue. This would've been my 2nd time owning a BMW if we got the X5 and it was definitely a close one.

MDX: As mentioned above, best balance between styling (albeit subtle), features, price and performance. The V6 is actually decent on gas and while it consumes more than my Audi (even with its all-time 4-wheel drive), it's not excessive. There is a ton of space in the MDX and although the ride is soft, it drives very well, particular for a vehicle its size.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually I disagree about the MDX having a "subtle" design. To me it's quite aggressive looking compared to others and that front in-your-face grille definitely draws my eye. X5 styling is subdued, even understated, in my opinion. Old school BMW.

Last edited by larso1; 03-16-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
To the OP, you said your wife drives a CRV, that is more than capable of handling your first child and all the supporting accessories you need to haul around. I think you're turning the "idea of a family" into an excuse to get a new car, which sounds like you do a lot (new cars). You have plenty of time to see what the new MDX looks like and then you can decide. For now, enjoy that 335 as a childless couple, baby is going to change the family dynamics beyond your imagination.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's my point of view we own both. 2011 X5, and a 2009 MDX.

X5 has a lot more torque (because of the turbo). Power is there in the low rpms. Whenever you need it, it's right there waiting. It also gets better fuel economy for us (I'm guessing the 8-speed transmission is the main factor). 22.6 MPG vs 19MPG in the MDX. I would say handling is equal between the 2. X5 has better steering feel, but a tiny bit of body roll compared to our base MDX. I don't know why you need a $60K X5. We bought ours new (Premium Package with Nav) for $54K. Wife insisted on Navigation. If it was me I would of left it off, and it would of cost even less. Once you start checking off individual options the price goes up pretty quick. Personally I think it looks better than the MDX. Couple of other nice touches, it has a power lift gate, and parked car ventilation. You can set it to ventilate your car for you while it's parked before you get in. Very nice feature when you're parked out in the hot sun, and get off at the same time everyday. It only works good if you're getting in the car within 15 mins. If you don't time it right, you won't notice the difference. The rear passenger sun shades are a great feature too. It also has a HD for audio storage standard. A lot better than burning DVD's, or fiddling with an iPod.

The MDX is a great vehicle too. In my opinion it will be much less money maintenance wise, and I know for a fact it will hold it's value longer. It truly is the "best bang for your buck". The base model handling is great as it is. Very planted feel with almost no body roll. I have driven the Sport model too, and while it handles better than the base I can't say it's $4000 better. Some may even say it's too harsh.

If a couple extra thousand dollars a year isn't going to hurt you, splurge on the X5. I hope Acura will improve the next MDX with a power lift gate, at least a 7 speed tranny, keyless entry/start, and a hard drive all standard. Right now the only standard feature Acura has that others don't is heated seats. Either one would be a great choice though!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^you need to get a tech or higher to get the power liftgate as standard in the 09's. the newer MDXs i believe still come this way (the base model will not include the "tech" goodies the rest of the MDX pkgs come with). the 10+ MDXs i believe come with a hard drive now and the ipod integration, again most likely with the tech+ models and NOT the base model. the base model essentially is the strip down model without all the tech goodies.

somebody recently bought a 11 or 12 base on here and complained about the lack of ipod integration and phonebook sync for his phone. had he gotten the tech pkg he would have these features. he does get bluetooth though!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
I have a 2011 base MDX and it has the power liftgate as standard equip. I just love this SUV, does everything I need it do. Plenty of room and great cargo space that has come in very handly these days.

The ride is planted, not a sports car, it's a SUV, but more car like than many other SUV's out their.

Great value like others mention, can't go wrong with it.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
OP did you make a decision yet?

I had an 08 X5 3.0si. I know you want the bigger engine and prob sport package which i didn't have but all I can say is my x5 didn't handle well ride well or do well at mpg.

I have a ZDX advance and I know its not not as large as the MDX but it is built on the same platform. My ZDX handles better (in sport mode) rides better (in comfort mode) and gets better mpg with more power. Not to mention everything operates the way its supposed to.

Do some research on Xdrive vs SH-AWD. Acuras awd is much better. The torque vectoring all wheel drive makes my ZDX go around corners with so much more confidance than my x5 ever could. In Hawaii it rains at least once a week and honestly my zdx can prob go around a corner faster than a rwd car because of the sh-awd. I laugh when I can pass all the other smaller faster cars on a turn in the rain. Honestly my ZDX drives better than my x5 did.

I honestly know its hard to get away from bmw because of the way the dealers treat repeat buyers but you should give an Acura dealer a shot. I know Acura has incentives for previous BMW owners to try to steal the business.

And you will get the MDX advance for less than msrp.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

I traded in my Infiniti FX for the MDX. Although the MDX doesnt have a lot of the bells and whistles it is for me, the most practical family car that isnt a minivan.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by tk76
I traded in my Infiniti FX for the MDX. Although the MDX doesnt have a lot of the bells and whistles it is for me, the most practical family car that isnt a minivan.
^^you got a base model therefore minimal bells and whistles. you chose NOT to get the tech pkg for the reasons you did. you have to pay to play. and you're complaining about not having ipod integration and phonebook download etc...some brands you have to pay these and others it comes standard. just sayin'.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Cruisin'

^^you got a base model therefore minimal bells and whistles. you chose NOT to get the tech pkg for the reasons you did. you have to pay to play. and you're complaining about not having ipod integration and phonebook download etc...some brands you have to pay these and others it comes standard. just sayin'.
For a 44K car you would expect something like USB integration to be standard. Acura also doesnt have keyless entry and push button start. If u've never had it you wont know what ur missing, but I think its a big miss by Acura. Cooled seats you have to go to the Advance package all these are pretty much standard in other "Luxury" brands.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah you would totally expect the base MDX to have bluetooth audio streaming. And ipod integration. I am amazed that it doesn't. I had those features in my base 2009 TL.

That stinks. Sorry that you didn't notice before you bought. I guess you just have to use the Auxilary input. You also have a 6 CD changer that can play DATA CDs with mp3s and WMA files.

The real question is didn't Acura know that they would surprise and piss off a bunch of customers by not including this?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

I am looking for something aftermarket for the iPod integration, havent found anything compatible with the 2012 though. Back on topic, I think the X5 looks nicer, drives about 0.5% better but the MDX kicks ass when it comes to reliability and resale value. If you spent half of the 15K premium that you would pay on the X5 I bet you can make the MDX look nicer and drive better.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tk76
If you spent half of the 15K premium that you would pay on the X5 I bet you can make the MDX look nicer and drive better.
Which of course, IMO, not so humble, it already does....
Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Something else worth mentioning. The black exterior trim pieces on our 2011 X5 are already faded pretty badly. The 2009 MDX trim still looks new. Both are garaged at home.

Quick Reply: MDX vs. X5 vs. ?