MDX Over Acadia Denali?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MDX Over Acadia Denali?

I am about to pull the trigger on a lease for either a 2013 MDX w/Tech or a 2013 Acadia Denali AWD.

This isn't (necessarily) a "which do I get" post. But more a question of whether anyone recently made the MDX choice over the Acadia and why. If you are on this board, I can assume you selected and are likely happy with the MDX.

I did own and had a great experience with a 2008 TL w/Tech, so I am high on the Acuras in general.

Thanks, John
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Going back to when we picked up our old 09 MDX base, we did consider a Saturn Outlook XR (Saturn's counterpart to the GMC Acadia.). The wife and I thought it was a terrific SUV, and preferred it over the Pilot.

The tipping point for me in selecting the MDX is its sportier edge. At this price point and lower, I actually found the CX9 to be more akin to the MDX than the Outlook.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 PM
9th Gear

Thanks...we didn't look at the Mazda because of the towing capacity...need the 5,000 pounds.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
We purchased a 2010 Traverse LTZ brand new in April of 2010. It was a great vehicle and had a lot of room in the third row and a humungous amount of storage room even with the third row up.

We had every option and that included the rear overhead enterainment console, rearview camera WITH back up sensors sounding a warning as you got closer to an object or if something got in the way as you were backing up. The heated/cooled seats and power folding mirrors were also a great feature.

The Traverse actually had many features over and above the MDX Tech we purchased in April of 2012. Onstar, factory towing option, dual panel sunroof, and able to operate very fuel efficiently using regular 87 octane gasoline.

We had come down to a decision in April of 2010 of getting either the Traverse or the MDX. The Traverse was the one we choose at the time based on features, price, rebates, incentives, etc. In order to get the cooled seats, we would have had to pay thousands more to get into an Advance model MDX, which we didn't think was worth the extra cost for the features received.

The Traverse was trouble free, but my wife felt it was too big, and she had compromised on the color when we bought it. We sold it privately for a great price (for us) and my wife got an MDX Tech in the color of her liking. We gave up some great features, but the MDX rides and handles fantastic.

The Acadia Denali is going to have all of the features the LTZ had, plus the newer radio/navigation set up. It is really your decision as to which one will serve you best. I would not hesitate to purchase another GM lambda (Enclave, Traverse, Acadia) if we needed a bigger vehicle.

The only advice I could give on the GM is to purchase the GM extended warranty once the first year of ownership or 12000 miles is almost up. It will usually pay for itself in the long run. You will get 84 months and 100000 miles of almost B2B coverage for a very reasonable cost.

I will be purchasing the Acura warranty for the MDX in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Puppetmaster (03-19-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 PM
9th Gear

I appreciate your input...but you are too late! ;-)

I bought the 2013 MDX w/Tech this morning, and we're scheduled to pick it up tomorrow. While I posted this to get some input, I was really about 90% sure I was going to go with the MDX.

Some of the bells/whistles that the Acadia had over the MDX were not overly important to us. The Acadia has 2 moon roofs over the front and 2nd rows. Fact is, we have the shade closed on our moon roofs 95%-99% of the time anyhow. As for cooled seats...my wife's old FX35 had them...they gave her a backache and made me feel like I had wet my pants! Seriously!

Believe it or not, the biggest misses on the MDX are the push button start and the backup sensors. I can't believe this vehicle is missing those 2 things. In any event, the Acadia did not have push button start either.

I figured I would probably like the Acadia. I am 100% certain that I will love the MDX.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm sure you will be happy with the MDX, congratulations!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ls973800
We purchased a 2010 Traverse LTZ brand new in April of 2010. It was a great vehicle and had a lot of room in the third row and a humungous amount of storage room even with the third row up.

We had every option and that included the rear overhead enterainment console, rearview camera WITH back up sensors sounding a warning as you got closer to an object or if something got in the way as you were backing up. The heated/cooled seats and power folding mirrors were also a great feature.

The Traverse actually had many features over and above the MDX Tech we purchased in April of 2012. Onstar, factory towing option, dual panel sunroof, and able to operate very fuel efficiently using regular 87 octane gasoline.

We had come down to a decision in April of 2010 of getting either the Traverse or the MDX. The Traverse was the one we choose at the time based on features, price, rebates, incentives, etc. In order to get the cooled seats, we would have had to pay thousands more to get into an Advance model MDX, which we didn't think was worth the extra cost for the features received.

The Traverse was trouble free, but my wife felt it was too big, and she had compromised on the color when we bought it. We sold it privately for a great price (for us) and my wife got an MDX Tech in the color of her liking. We gave up some great features, but the MDX rides and handles fantastic.

The Acadia Denali is going to have all of the features the LTZ had, plus the newer radio/navigation set up. It is really your decision as to which one will serve you best. I would not hesitate to purchase another GM lambda (Enclave, Traverse, Acadia) if we needed a bigger vehicle.

The only advice I could give on the GM is to purchase the GM extended warranty once the first year of ownership or 12000 miles is almost up. It will usually pay for itself in the long run. You will get 84 months and 100000 miles of almost B2B coverage for a very reasonable cost.

I will be purchasing the Acura warranty for the MDX in the future.
Thanks for the great review. While I love our 2011 MDX, I've always wanted an Acadia for the captain's chairs and just larger cabin in general. I was torn between the two when I shopped for the MDX, but just got a better deal on the MDX and at the time, liked a certain finesse that the MDX had but the Acadia didn't. As my kids get older & bigger however, I am seriously considering revisiting the Acadia or any future versions of it. This is very helpful for me.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by jdag
As for cooled seats...my wife's old FX35 had them...they gave her a backache and made me feel like I had wet my pants! Seriously!
This made me laugh...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
This made me laugh...
I was 100% serious too! I hate the heat...anything over 85 and I get miserable. But I also found that cooled seats don't really help as by they time they are cool enough, the car AC has already done its trick. I do love heated seats though (I live in Upstate NY, so use them all the time).

I see a mention of the captain's chairs on the Acadia. In fact, I looked at that as a negative to the Acadia. I sat in the back, and felt they were very uncomfortable. Also, they limit the passenger's flexibility to move around, lay down, etc.

Ultimately, the MDX and Acadia are both seemingly excellent vehicles. And for $50k+ they ought to be!

Anyhow, we pick up the MDX at 6pm tonight, and I am like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I bought my MDX coming off a GMC Envoy. I was set on getting an Acadia, but the dealers I went to were such a-holes that I wound up buying the MDX. This was right after the bailouts, and they refused to move even one dollar, while Acura knocked off 7 grand off the sticker.

IMO, the MDX is far superior in every aspect, except for the GPS but to be fair, I have no idea how the GM GPS performs. I just know the Honda / Acura sucks.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
@ fxcarden - most people I know like the honda/acura gps. I prefer it over audi and BMWs for sure. Why don't you like yours?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM
9th Gear

I have had the Acura GPS (2008 TL) and Nissan/Infiniti GPS ('10 Murano, '10 FX35, and '11 g37x). I think Acura's BLOWS away the Nissan/Infiniti. I think the tech integration in general is much better on the Acura. I just got the MDX, so I am only assuming it is superior.

The biggest letdown with the MDX...the key situation...

1st, the fact that there is no keyless push button start is really a shame. The 2010 Murano had it.

2nd, and to make matters worse, we added the remote start. I really am disappointed in that. Not only does it require a separate fob, but you have to turn the vehicle off and use the regular key to unlock the car. I had no idea how backwards it was or I never would have added it as an option. I never thought to ask how it was implemented. I assumed of course it was of a much more sophisticated design.

3rd, you get 1 remote start fob. What's up with that? And the extras are about $150!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
@ fxcarden - most people I know like the honda/acura gps. I prefer it over audi and BMWs for sure. Why don't you like yours?

Because it always picks the shortest route, which is not the fastest. Also there is no way to permanently tell it to avoid going through a particular area. I just think it is sub-par.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jdag
I have had the Acura GPS (2008 TL) and Nissan/Infiniti GPS ('10 Murano, '10 FX35, and '11 g37x). I think Acura's BLOWS away the Nissan/Infiniti. I think the tech integration in general is much better on the Acura. I just got the MDX, so I am only assuming it is superior.

The biggest letdown with the MDX...the key situation...

1st, the fact that there is no keyless push button start is really a shame. The 2010 Murano had it.

2nd, and to make matters worse, we added the remote start. I really am disappointed in that. Not only does it require a separate fob, but you have to turn the vehicle off and use the regular key to unlock the car. I had no idea how backwards it was or I never would have added it as an option. I never thought to ask how it was implemented. I assumed of course it was of a much more sophisticated design.

3rd, you get 1 remote start fob. What's up with that? And the extras are about $150!

The remote start I got works with the factory fob. Lock-Unlock-Lock, and boom !....engine on. You do have to use the key to open the door though.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Had 07 mdx and traded it in for acadia denali. Kept it for 1.5 yrs. then traded bak in for 11 mdx. Couldnt wait to get rid of it. Cant even compare them. Only thing denali had was a larger 3rd row. Othe rthan that mdx blows it away.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM
9th Gear

We got a couple of inches of snow this morning (Rochester, NY...go figure). My wife texted me to say that the MDX handles incredibly in the white stuff.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (03-22-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Congrats jdag on the new purchase. As the car-guy of the family, I often encounter this SUV dilemma and am surprised at how many times it comes down to MDX v. the GM Lambdas. Recently my aunt chose an Enclave over the MDX.

I personally think the MDX is "just the right size" and when you factor in dealership experience, I'd choose the MDX every day of the week.

Although I do applaud GM for making such competitive vehicles in this market. The Lambdas are quality vehicles.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
We did consider the Enclave as well. It was actually more impressive that we thought it would be. But, we were swayed by our experience with Honda products and I was swayed by the fact that the MDX is so much more sportier.