Just looking for a little objective insight on a trade...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Just looking for a little objective insight on a trade...

Have a 2007 MDX Tech with lots of accessories on it too

we owe about $10K on it
right at timing belt mark - 104.2K
needs tires soon
needs brakes soon

My Question:

Trying to be budget conscious and also think about my family's comfort and safety - this is my wife's DD

Should I trade up to a 2011 MDX Tech/Entertainment w/68K? Listed at $29K right now - good deal as it has a lot of accessories that I will need - hitch, roof rack, running boards, etc.

In your opinion would it be better to do the maintenance on the 2007 and continue to accrue mileage on it OR trade/upgrade to something with lower mileage?

I've never owned a car outright and would enjoy not having a car payment but am also trying to be conscious of the future and make the best choice.

Thank you all so much for any input - sometimes flipping a coin just isn't enough

Last edited by mattpete; 01-20-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
The +10 MDX are nice vehicles; but, I don't think you will be gaining much with the one you picked out. Maybe at half the mileage and a 2012 model for $29K. The only thing nice about the Ent models are the rear heated seats. The DVD quality is poor/avg and I haven't purchased a DVD in years because of Netflix. We use our iPad mini a lot more when traveling (I burn Netflix DVD from my laptop to iPad format).

When I was looking for my MDX, I was looking for one with all the accessories installed first. Then I realized, you don't know how much the MDX was abused or stress/strain on transmission, engine, and/or sh-awd from someone pulling something outside of its weight limit. I took MDX's with trailer hitches off my list (the other accessories were a bonus).
Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Tires and brakes are in good shape on the 2011?
What do you think your net incremental debt will be if you move forward will the 2011 and does that make sense for your financial situation?
How many miles do you drive per year?

I know you are looking to solicit opinions, but a lot of this will depend on you and your situation.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I wouldn't trade it and wouldn't recommend trading it. Just ask yourself are you really willing to pay $19k for 37K less miles? I think that would be a crazy move and not even worth thinking about but that is my 2 cents?

If your MDX is well taken care of it should run without problems for another 100k miles.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The +10 MDX are nice vehicles; but, I don't think you will be gaining much with the one you picked out. Maybe at half the mileage and a 2012 model for $29K. The only thing nice about the Ent models are the rear heated seats. The DVD quality is poor/avg and I haven't purchased a DVD in years because of Netflix. We use our iPad mini a lot more when traveling (I burn Netflix DVD from my laptop to iPad format).

When I was looking for my MDX, I was looking for one with all the accessories installed first. Then I realized, you don't know how much the MDX was abused or stress/strain on transmission, engine, and/or sh-awd from someone pulling something outside of its weight limit. I took MDX's with trailer hitches off my list (the other accessories were a bonus).
That is some great insight - I would have never thought of that (the hitch reference) Thanks for the ENT opinion as well - I was curious about the quality of the system. Great Stuff thank you!

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Tires and brakes are in good shape on the 2011?
What do you think your net incremental debt will be if you move forward will the 2011 and does that make sense for your financial situation?
How many miles do you drive per year?

I know you are looking to solicit opinions, but a lot of this will depend on you and your situation.
Yes on tires and brakes 2011
Debt would increase back to about $20K - it does and doesn't make sense. It wouldn't kill my budget but wouldn't be great either.
we drive probably 10K a year in the MDX

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
I wouldn't trade it and wouldn't recommend trading it. Just ask yourself are you really willing to pay $19k for 37K less miles? I think that would be a crazy move and not even worth thinking about but that is my 2 cents?

If your MDX is well taken care of it should run without problems for another 100k miles.
I'm loving this feedback here - makes a lot of sense. There really is nothing wrong with our X except routine maintenance stuff. It's a well taken care of beast. Thank you!!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in the same boat with my 06 MDX. Timing belt/water pump was due, plugs, plus had to do all the fluids and filters. Even tires are coming up soon. Due I get something newer with more bells and whistles. Since I've owned the car with only 28K and took care of it I decided to do it. No regets and no car payments : )
Old 01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
As others have mentioned, if it's routine maintenance and the car has been serviced, I'd recommend keeping it. Having a vehicle paid off is truly a great thing. I had no car payment for 5 years.

We recently acquired a 2011 MDX because our TL was starting to go... We still have it, but after several transmission rebuilds, and signs of it going again, plus a growing family, we made the decision it was time for a newer, bigger vehicle.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nats007
As others have mentioned, if it's routine maintenance and the car has been serviced, I'd recommend keeping it. Having a vehicle paid off is truly a great thing. I had no car payment for 5 years.

We recently acquired a 2011 MDX because our TL was starting to go... We still have it, but after several transmission rebuilds, and signs of it going again, plus a growing family, we made the decision it was time for a newer, bigger vehicle.
I'm with you man - thanks for your thoughts. I've taken great care of it since buying in 2010 so it does make sense to keep it. Sometimes you just get that bug up your ass for something new... I hate that bug sometimes.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:14 PM

^^^^^ I HATE that damn bug!!!!

Fortunately or unfortunately, private High School tuition and college tuition have killed that bug and will continue to do so for a bit at my house.........
Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Racer

Oh man am I scared for that phase of my life - kids are 5 and 2 so a ways off but life moves so fast it will be here in no time.

I went from my TL-S to wanting an IS-F then a 335i and now I'm back in love with my TL-S - ugh
Old 01-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Bug will always be there, especially for car enthusiasts. Even though I'm not in the market, I browse autotrader more often than I should just to see what's out there... Never know when you may come across a crazy deal!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by mattpete
Oh man am I scared for that phase of my life - kids are 5 and 2 so a ways off but life moves so fast it will be here in no time.

I went from my TL-S to wanting an IS-F then a 335i and now I'm back in love with my TL-S - ugh
Save you nickels and dimes The Mrs and I didn't plan on private High School tuition but have gotten through it - only one more payment!! College we did some planning for and are doing okay with that. You have three years between yours so you will only be doubling up one year. We only have two years between ours
Old 01-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nats007
Bug will always be there, especially for car enthusiasts. Even though I'm not in the market, I browse autotrader more often than I should just to see what's out there... Never know when you may come across a crazy deal!
So True man - me too!

My new bug is that sexy ass NSX...
Old 01-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Save you nickels and dimes The Mrs and I didn't plan on private High School tuition but have gotten through it - only one more payment!! College we did some planning for and are doing okay with that. You have three years between yours so you will only be doubling up one year. We only have two years between ours
omg that makes my head spin - especially since we're considering a third... kid not car!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:46 PM

Future planning should not include the number of kids but I will tell you once you go from two to three you have to go from man to man to zone defense.

My Mrs. Wanted to try for a boy (we have two girls) and I might have considered it but there are no guarantees..........