Hatch won't open! 2012 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hatch won't open! 2012 MDX

Hello, I'm hoping someone might have some thoughts on an issue that just came up with my 2012 MDX. Yesterday all the sudden my back hatch won't open, not with the button on the remote, the button on the hatch, or the button on the drivers door. I can hear what I think is the actuator releasing the latch but I'm unable to budge the hatch door at all, I've pushed, pulled, nothing .....not a millimeter of give. After a few seconds I can hear it again engaging the latch again (at least that's what I think is happening), and of course I get the dash warning light saying there's a problem with the hatch. I've reviewed other posts regarding trunk and hatches that don't open but they sounded more like fuse and/or wiring issues. The vehicle will lock and unlock so I in my experience it shouldn't be any of those issues.

My friend thinks something must have fallen into the well of the latch post that is now jammed in the latch preventing it from actually disengaging, could be true but before I take it into a shop I would love to know if there are other possibilities causing the problem that I can look into first. Hoping maybe someone has experience with this issue?? I load my dog into a crate in the back a few times a week for travel, so this is a pretty big issue for me.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SchnauzerMom
Hello, I'm hoping someone might have some thoughts on an issue that just came up with my 2012 MDX. Yesterday all the sudden my back hatch won't open, not with the button on the remote, the button on the hatch, or the button on the drivers door. I can hear what I think is the actuator releasing the latch but I'm unable to budge the hatch door at all, I've pushed, pulled, nothing .....not a millimeter of give. After a few seconds I can hear it again engaging the latch again (at least that's what I think is happening), and of course I get the dash warning light saying there's a problem with the hatch. I've reviewed other posts regarding trunk and hatches that don't open but they sounded more like fuse and/or wiring issues. The vehicle will lock and unlock so I in my experience it shouldn't be any of those issues.

My friend thinks something must have fallen into the well of the latch post that is now jammed in the latch preventing it from actually disengaging, could be true but before I take it into a shop I would love to know if there are other possibilities causing the problem that I can look into first. Hoping maybe someone has experience with this issue?? I load my dog into a crate in the back a few times a week for travel, so this is a pretty big issue for me.
Hello,
Please crawl in to your trunk, remove the small plastic cover on latch lid, there is a small liver to open the trunk manually. might have to use a little force to open the trunk.
Once trunk is open, remove the plastics on the trunk door, abd remove the latch. just two screws. Buy a new latch for $39 and install it. less than one hour work
Amazon Amazon

Good luck
Thanks
gg