Got my wheels today. 20" Stance SF01

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my wheels today. 20" Stance SF01

20x8.5 with 35 offset. Rotary forged wheels.
Falken PT-722 tires.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:10 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I like the look!

Did you keep the old tires/rims and used one as a full size spare. I wasn't too comfortable with the OEM wheel locks and went aftermarket with Gorilla 61641 Acorn Guard Locks (14mm x 1.50, Amazon, $16). Since I kept my OEM rim as a spare, I had to keep a set of Spherical (round or ball shape) OEM lugs in the MDX because they are different from my Conical (cone shape) RonJon rims lugs.

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-08-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

Yes I kept my OEM wheels/tires and lugs. On a different note, my MDX has been pulling to the right since I puchased it. I got it used though. I got brand new tires with the wheels and the shop did an alignment too. Still pulling to the right. Any idea what could it be?
Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 912 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Merky
Yes I kept my OEM wheels/tires and lugs. On a different note, my MDX has been pulling to the right since I puchased it. I got it used though. I got brand new tires with the wheels and the shop did an alignment too. Still pulling to the right. Any idea what could it be?
I have to admit, when I first seen the thread title and my experience with the after market rims people put on their MDX's. I sort of winced a little because I imagined chromed out pie dish looking rims. But these are nice!

Remind me of the vossen cv3 wheels.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Merky (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:38 PM
mrgold35

Since you already did the alignment, tire pressure, and balance; not much left to check other than suspension and/or steering? I have to put in an extra 3-4 PSI to get the feel I like with my set-up (MDX doesn't feel right at 32 psi with the soft sidewall Conti DWS). Every time I put new tires (Conti DWS last +5yrs); they really follow the rain groove marks in the same direction of travel on the concrete section on the hwy. The grooves kinda wander a bit and pull the vehicle to one side or the other with the new tread. The problem goes away after the tires break in after around a thousand miles. We also have a lot of semi-trucks on the roads and truck grooves on asphalt also pulls my vehicle to one side sometimes along with the natural crown of the hwy for drainage.

I would test out some different areas with old, regular, brand new pavement to see if the problem is just with the hwy department. Then I would adjust PSI to see if that might change/improve the dynamics. You can pretty much feel the road conditions in the steering wheel, pedals, your backside, and ears when driving. That is one of the things I like about Acura vehicles driving dynamics (not isolated; but, the most important part of the vehicle).
Mr. Merky (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RDX10
I have to admit, when I first seen the thread title and my experience with the after market rims people put on their MDX's. I sort of winced a little because I imagined chromed out pie dish looking rims. But these are nice!

Remind me of the vossen cv3 wheels.
The first time I saw the Vossen CV3's I knew right away that was the look I'll be going for. I just couldn't justify spending that much on those wheels. The local shop I went gave a me good deal on the SF01's. Under $2k OTD for the wheels, tires, hardware and alignment.

I'll just upgrade to some Powerstop cross drilled/slotted rotors and pads and project is done.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Since you already did the alignment, tire pressure, and balance; not much left to check other than suspension and/or steering? I have to put in an extra 3-4 PSI to get the feel I like with my set-up (MDX doesn't feel right at 32 psi with the soft sidewall Conti DWS). Every time I put new tires (Conti DWS last +5yrs); they really follow the rain groove marks in the same direction of travel on the concrete section on the hwy. The grooves kinda wander a bit and pull the vehicle to one side or the other with the new tread. The problem goes away after the tires break in after around a thousand miles. We also have a lot of semi-trucks on the roads and truck grooves on asphalt also pulls my vehicle to one side sometimes along with the natural crown of the hwy for drainage.

I would test out some different areas with old, regular, brand new pavement to see if the problem is just with the hwy department. Then I would adjust PSI to see if that might change/improve the dynamics. You can pretty much feel the road conditions in the steering wheel, pedals, your backside, and ears when driving. That is one of the things I like about Acura vehicles driving dynamics (not isolated; but, the most important part of the vehicle).
I haven't had many alignments done in the past so I'll ask anyways. Does it matter who does my alignment. I mean if shop A did it already and I bring it tomorrow to shop B, the results will still be identical?
Old 11-09-2015, 01:45 AM
Suzuka Master

The first time I saw the Vossen CV3's I knew right away that was the look I'll be going for. I just couldn't justify spending that much on those wheels. The local shop I went gave a me good deal on the SF01's. Under $2k OTD for the wheels, tires, hardware and alignment.

I'll just upgrade to some Powerstop cross drilled/slotted rotors and pads and project is done.
I am personally eyeing a set of vossen cv4 replicas, I agree that the real deal is WAY too cost prohibitive for me. I think these look slick on the mdx. That is a VERY good deal especially for 20's!

Keep is updated!
Mr.Tea (03-27-2016)
Old 11-09-2015, 07:50 AM
mrgold35

I haven't had many alignments done in the past so I'll ask anyways. Does it matter who does my alignment. I mean if shop A did it already and I bring it tomorrow to shop B, the results will still be identical?
I think alignments fall in the the same category like tire balance or even repairs. Some shops are a little better than others. I think one member found out a shop was using 01-06 MDX specs instead of +07 MDX specs for alignment. I did the lifetime alignment with Firestone. It cost about the same as doing 2 alignments (about $95 for initial alignment+ $95 for lifetime) and you can do them every 8,000 miles (I think) with Firestone. I put around 20,000 miles per year on my MDX and do an alignment once a year, or before a +2000 mile trip, or new tires, or any suspension work. The big girl always seems to be a little off and I can sometimes feel the difference afterwards.

Since I got my tires at Discount Tires, I do the lifetime rotation and balance to save a little $$$ at the dealership. The Discount tires near my house can do road force balance for free since I got the tires with them. I would do a road force balance with aftermarket rims at least once or if you put new/different tires on with aftermarket rims (summer/winter swap or just replacing worn tires).
Old 11-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Cruisin'

I'll get a road force balance tomorrow and work since I work for a dealership. I'll ask them to do the alignment also. I hope it solves the problem
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 AM
mrgold35

Since I travel a lot, I am extremely paranoid about finding my MDX on bricks at an hotel +1000 miles out of town. I added a front/rear dash cam and two sets of wheel locks to my MDX. Anything to slow them down, I know I really can't stop a determined thief.

I also got a torque wrench and always re-torque to 94 lb-ft after any tire work at a shop. I had to get a 2ft breaker bar because Discount Tire usually over torque the lugs waaaay past 94 lb-ft 99% of the time. They once broke a stud on my TSX because they had the impact wrench turned up so high.

Name:  splinelugs_zpsfhhrwsiy.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  140.8 KB
Name:  Gorella_zps09fd19f6.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  107.6 KB

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-10-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Mr. Merky (11-11-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Looks great - nice and clean.
Mr. Merky (11-11-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice. I like the different style of wheels you got.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:48 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
where can i find a set of these replicas?

Originally Posted by RDX10
I am personally eyeing a set of vossen cv4 replicas, I agree that the real deal is WAY too cost prohibitive for me. I think these look slick on the mdx. That is a VERY good deal especially for 20's!

Keep is updated!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mr.Tea
where can i find a set of these replicas?
The local wheel place carries the cv3 reps. No idea of online or where you are located sorry.