DRL/HID Kit for MDX 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DRL/HID Kit for MDX 2012?

Hi all,

I am looking forward to replace the stock oem fog lights to HID. Whats a good brand, that does not break the bank?
Few months back DDM tuning were selling Raptor for less than 50 dollars, but they were a hit or miss, they arent selling anymore of those now.

Whats a good brand to go with now. I would also replace the stock OEM low beam to match 6000K lamp. Not sure if i should go for 6000k or stick with 5000k for fog and not replace stock low beam.

Also, what are the good options for DRL light? I hear they cause error code issue? Any one had success without the error code?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for when it comes to HIDs. I would suggest that you invest a bit more than $50 for a kit. I have HIDs from the retro fit source and they've been working great for almost a year.

If you go with 6000k, you'll lose some brightness because 5000k is closer to natural daylight. I also believe that pure white lights looks great on luxury vehicles, but if you prefer the slight blue hue of 6000k, it's your choice.

You can use LEDs with a built in can-bus module for your drls to prevent error codes. The retro fit source ballasts already have built in modules to deal with error codes. You cannot use HIDs for drls. You'll need to disable them if you decide to put HIDs in your fogs and drls, which seems like overkill.

Last edited by Domm; 10-25-2012 at 03:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MANswers (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the DDM slim ballasts for a few years on a couple cars and they are still going (crossing fingers)...the only thing I didn't like were the bulb colors not matching what I requested (ie: ordered 5k and they output 4300k). Shopping around for a new company, I tried a kit from Umnitza for my '12 MDX fogs but their bulb colors were also off (ordered 5k, outputted 6k). In both instances I bought replacement bulbs from Lightwerkz and their colors match what you order...if/when my DDM/Umnitza ballasts fail my next set will come from Lightwerkz.

I just bought a pair of canbus LEDs for my DRLs but they still give me a bulb-out error, grrr. There was another thread where a '12 owner installed LEDs from V-LED and supposedly does not get any errors (but they are non-canbus). I pinged the OP for confirmation but haven't heard back yet.

-Ken
The following users liked this post:
MANswers (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Domm
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for when it comes to HIDs. I would suggest that you invest a bit more than $50 for a kit. I have HIDs from the retro fit source and they've been working great for almost a year.

If you go with 6000k, you'll lose some brightness because 5000k is closer to natural daylight. I also believe that pure white lights looks great on luxury vehicles, but if you prefer the slight blue hue of 6000k, it's your choice.

You can use LEDs with a built in can-bus module for your drls to prevent error codes. The retro fit source ballasts already have built in modules to deal with error codes. You cannot use HIDs for drls. You'll need to disable them if you decide to put HIDs in your fogs and drls, which seems like overkill.
Thanks for your reply. I agree to your point about the cost vs the quality.
I was on vacation today, and spent the entire day researching various boards of different cars and trucks. As i said earlier, i was also looking to change the stock OEM low beam bulbs, by chance i hit upon Morimoto brand of bulbs for which I called up retrofit as well, and they were literally told me that Morimoto brand of bulbs dont emit as much as light as compared to Philips Ultinon. Infact told me to find a genuine seller or come back to them and buy Osram. Anyways i found a genuine seller with Xenon Depot with the real 6000k d2s ultinon bulb.. although a lot more expensive around 200 bucks a pop for a pair, not sure if the price is worth paying against MTEC and Garax. Some people on other forums swear by the Ultinons having already used the other brands.

Xenon depot also has a very high end HID kit thats a Japanese make, and thats for around 114 bucks, with discount its around 90 dollars.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/H11-Volt-H...-p/vdp-h11.htm

Originally Posted by kenbo628
I've had the DDM slim ballasts for a few years on a couple cars and they are still going (crossing fingers)...the only thing I didn't like were the bulb colors not matching what I requested (ie: ordered 5k and they output 4300k). Shopping around for a new company, I tried a kit from Umnitza for my '12 MDX fogs but their bulb colors were also off (ordered 5k, outputted 6k). In both instances I bought replacement bulbs from Lightwerkz and their colors match what you order...if/when my DDM/Umnitza ballasts fail my next set will come from Lightwerkz.

I just bought a pair of canbus LEDs for my DRLs but they still give me a bulb-out error, grrr. There was another thread where a '12 owner installed LEDs from V-LED and supposedly does not get any errors (but they are non-canbus). I pinged the OP for confirmation but haven't heard back yet.

-Ken
Ken, thanks for that info, I will research too, and update the info here if i find anything, please do follow up, and let us know about which DRL works without errors on the MDX, i am struggling to find this same info. I read around that lots of CanBus makes of LED bulbs also produce the error code. While others dont, I am not looking forward to adding error free kits.. etc.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Intermediate

Ken, i think i might have found that Led bulb for DRL, another member on the MDXers forum posted this.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...led-drl-8.html

And this is the led he is talking abt.

For 5K
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...-p8022474.html

For 6K
http://www.v-leds.com/6K-WHITE-28-LE...01564-1-2.html

Last edited by MANswers; 10-25-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 PM
6th Gear

Yes, that's the same bulb that Slim is using. Judging from the mdxers the led bulbs are hit and miss on our cars, regardless of whether the bulbs are canbus or not. I heard back from Slim, and he thinks the V-LED bulbs may have a built in resistor, though not entirely sure, but he may just be one of those lucky few whose cars can handle the LEDs with no issues. This is the one I bought that is supposed to be error free:

http://www.umnitza.com/umnitza-blade...bs-p-6144.html

-Ken
Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Yes, that's the same bulb that Slim is using. Judging from the mdxers the led bulbs are hit and miss on our cars, regardless of whether the bulbs are canbus or not. I heard back from Slim, and he thinks the V-LED bulbs may have a built in resistor, though not entirely sure, but he may just be one of those lucky few whose cars can handle the LEDs with no issues. This is the one I bought that is supposed to be error free:

http://www.umnitza.com/umnitza-blade...bs-p-6144.html

-Ken
That seems to be true.. cos these errors seems to be appearing after couple of weeks or months after the drl has been installed. I guess almost everyone who installed the drl on mdxers got errors after few days or months... even after adding resistors/capacitors.

However, there is a new line of led lights coming up with V-leds, they call it the V3 Triton, i called their support line and the guy told me that those could be used for DRL's and its a completely new technology they are working on, he even quoted saying this bulb is specifically made for high end cars who complain about error codes.
I think i will wait on replacing my HID fog lights until the V3 Triton comes up.. so that i can replace the HID Fog lights and DRL at the same time.

Lets see how that goes, in the mean time, asking other members in here, is the Philips Ultinon worth the 200 dollars?? Or is there something similar for less? I checked Garax and Mtec, but they are hard to come by, ebay sellers are almost fakes, few ppl says Philips is much better than garax and mtec.

Anything else guys?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:41 AM
10th Gear

see my thread. I just installed HID fogs and LED DRLs
Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 AM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
I'm running these led drl for about 2wks now, no error thus far.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM
6th Gear

Looks like the V-LEDs CLK and Omnuts installed have been out of stock for a while. MANswers, did V-LED give any timing on the V3 bulbs?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

By the way, for the stock oem low beam/head lamps, i could not resist the sparkling reviews of the Philips Ultinons D2S for 6000K bulbs and ordered a pair from Xenon Depot.

Originally Posted by omnuts
I'm running these led drl for about 2wks now, no error thus far.
Omnuts thats the same led that people are complaining thats throwing up error codes after a couple of weeks/months of install. I hope it works for you.
Did u use relay harness or direct PnP. one reviewer on vleds site mentioned about it.

Originally Posted by CLK_CPA
see my thread. I just installed HID fogs and LED DRLs
Thanks for the pics CLK_CPA, i will reply to that thread.

Looks like the V-LEDs CLK and Omnuts installed have been out of stock for a while. MANswers, did V-LED give any timing on the V3 bulbs?
The vleds rep told me that the V3 Triton should be out by the end of Oct and mid of Nov. Infact its coming out in three batches, amber, red and blue the end of oct or first week of nov, white and blue by mid or end of nov.
This one looks really promising and hope this resolves the error code issue. Its kind of pricey, but its worth a pay if they did a good job in resolving our concerns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nR6tlmKuz9k

Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Intermediate

Anyone use Morimoto Elite HID kit? Or even Volt HID Kit, or Xenon Depots Extreme HID kit?
I would like to know how they pair up with the Philips Ultinon D2S Headlight 6000K bulbs? Want to have a good quality HID kit that matches the light color of both fog and headlights. Xenon Depots cuts down its cost by 25 dollars with promo code CL
Wonder if RetroFit offers any discount.

Last edited by MANswers; 10-27-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Racer

I have the morimoto kit. It's amazing quality and light color matches the description. 5000k is white and 6000k has a slight blue. I've had them for almost a year and I haven't had any issues. I have the 5000k 55w kit. They are pure white and the ballasts feel like a brick (which is a good thing). Extremely good quality.

Theretrofitsource offers a permanent free ground shipping code (look for it on google).

Last edited by Domm; 10-27-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MANswers
Anyone use Morimoto Elite HID kit? Or even Volt HID Kit, or Xenon Depots Extreme HID kit?
I would like to know how they pair up with the Philips Ultinon D2S Headlight 6000K bulbs? Want to have a good quality HID kit that matches the light color of both fog and headlights. Xenon Depots cuts down its cost by 25 dollars with promo code CL
Wonder if RetroFit offers any discount.
I do have the morimoto Elite kit in 4300 and I think they match the headlights spot on. at least after being turned on for about a minute.
Pics:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/hid-fog-led-drl-installed-pics-872295/
Old 10-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Hi all,

I have managed to swap out both the footwell and vanity leds. However while reading a couple of old threads that, if not done correctly the door courtsey lights can blow up the fuse or fry some electronic part in the MDX. It looks like this happened to a couple of people in the past, who reported about this on the forum.

How can i avoid this situation.

The bulbs that i am replacing are
6K WHITE 4 LED 2 WATT HP FLANK BULBS 194 168 158 | 1 PAIR B/O
Although it says that the bulb has dual polarity, but i am not sure if the members before me used the same led and fried their electrical component??

Please guide.
Here is one member posting for the same issue.
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/14-prob...ng-08-mdx.html
Again mine is a 2012 Tech MDX.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Domm, thanks for the tip. I picked up an HID kit from TRS, its the Morimoto Elite HID Kit for the Fog lights.
Will post pictures next week with the ultinons and morimoto bulbs togather in action on the X.

Oh, and by the way, i was able to swap out the bulbs to leds on my entire MDX including the four doors and trunk by removing the entire housing of the bulb, and replacing the led. All works fine. NO fuse, no circuits fried.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Racer

Great choice. Let us know how it goes
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 AM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Any update with pics?