Door lock actuator issue, recondition 2008 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:07 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door lock actuator issue, recondition 2008 MDX

My 2008 MDX w/ 150K milles has performed well I think I would rather fix a few issues than buy a new one. About a month ago, the rear driver side door lock started sticking in the center, so i obviously need a new actuator- did some reseach on the net and it seems like a PIA item to repair myself, so I am willing to take it to nearest dealer- 100 miles away. I am sure it is expensive- should i just have all 4 actuators replaced as i intend to keep the car until it hits 250 K miles. Also I will have dealer replace the scuffed front door sill plastic, and repair some leather seat tears and replace door rubber insulation which dried and ripped in the Florida sun, and repair/replace passenger front side carpet where it seems to be retracting. Also some idiot local corner car wash used a power buffer on my top just in front of the sunroof, so I guess i will need some body shop work, and while they are at it, there are a few paint chips in the front and also some idiot tried to parallel park several years ago and and ripped off half of my front bumper cover- I was able t bend it back, but apparently some clips were broken so the gap from cover to fender has always been a little off- hate to have to buy a new fender cover- any advice, ideas- I love the car and it has been very reliable
Old 07-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I'm not going to tell you how to spend your $$, but that sounds like you will will be spending a whole lot of $$$ for what sounds like some good DIY projects. Not to mention driving 200 miles round trip. I would suggest finding an indie shop and/or visiting local specialty shops (upholstery and carpet shop etc) for your various issues. Again this is me and my
Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by gjpearce
My 2008 MDX w/ 150K milles has performed well I think I would rather fix a few issues than buy a new one.
Welcome to Acurazine

I have a 2006 MDX with 146K miles and can share some of my experiences.

i obviously need a new actuator- did some reseach on the net and it seems like a PIA item to repair myself, so I am willing to take it to nearest dealer- 100 miles away. I am sure it is expensive- should i just have all 4 actuators replaced?
Answer: I've replaced 3 of the 4 doors myself and I will say the rears are much easier than the front (I haven't done the front driver door yet). A colleague took his Odyssey to Honda (same door actuators as MDX) and they charged him $300 for one door. It's a DIY job @ $40 each door. Your call.

Also I will have dealer replace the scuffed front door sill plastic, and repair some leather seat tears and replace door rubber insulation which dried and ripped in the Florida sun
Answer: I haven't swapped out rubber or repaired plastic, but I can say that I researched many ways to repair or replace my torn leather seats. I came up with (as many others did as well) Iggee leather covers. We're very happy with them and at $179 for both front seats (their eBay price), they're a great deal.

and repair/replace passenger front side carpet where it seems to be retracting.
Answer: Not sure how bad/exposed your carpet is, but Weather Tech Digital-Fit front mats literally cover the entire foot well area for both driver and passenger. We love our Weather Techs. Every car I own will have a set of these.

Also some idiot local corner car wash used a power buffer on my top just in front of the sunroof, so I guess i will need some body shop work, and while they are at it, there are a few paint chips in the front and also some idiot tried to parallel park several years ago and and ripped off half of my front bumper cover- I was able t bend it back, but apparently some clips were broken so the gap from cover to fender has always been a little off- hate to have to buy a new fender cover
Answer: Not sure what insurance company you have, but "hit and run" or vandalism to the vehicle exterior may not affect your rate. They're under the "no fault" coverage. We placed a claim years ago with Farmers after my wife's car was vandalized with no penalty. Something to look into

Oh and a professional detailer should be able to address your paint chips and take a look at your roof top. I detailed cars as a side-job during college and learned from some true professionals. It's all about the product - if you can get a professional who has access to the high quality goods, he can keep you from having to visit the body shop.