Considering a 2012 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a 2012 MDX

Hello,

I owned a fully loaded 2014 Honda EX-L with Navigation. Sadly it was totaled last week. I am in the market for a new car. So far, the best car I have driven (and I have tried a LOT of them) is the Acura MDX.

I love how it drives, I love how it looks. i did have some questions.

1. I know the car requires premium. Gas is cheap right now but it could jump up again. The car salesman told me I could do half Plus, and half Premium. Is this true?

2. Does the 2012 Come with keyless entry? Some say they do.

3. Any suggestions on a remote starter?

4. I noticed that the major change in the 2014 redesign was that it added a second screen, one that you could touch. I assume there is no way to get that on a 2012, right? I like the 2012 body much better than the 2014, but I do like that second monitor, it makes the car looks much more modern.

Thanks for your time! I plan to make the purchase this week, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
The MDX is a great choice.

Are you sure premium isn't just recommended? Cars nowadays have knock control, meaning if you put the wrong gas in the car, it shouldn't damage the engine. If you can afford it, just go with premium.

I don't believe the 2012 MDX had keyless entry.

Absolutely no way to get the second screen without some major interior "surgery." You'll have to just go with the single screen. Also, FYI, the 2014s add a lot of new features. You'll get 19" wheels on most trims rather than the old 18"ers, also it has a smaller 3.5l engine (0.2l smaller) with direct injection, so it gets much better fuel economy. Those are the major changes.

Good luck on your search for a car! Post some pictures when you can of your new car. Sorry about your Honda, hope everyone is okay from the wreck.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:59 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I have an 08 RDX and 11 MDX and both are excellent vehicles depending what you used them for. If you are used to the size of the CRV, you only need to haul 1-3 folks around, and it going to be an in town grocery getter/commuter car, the RDX is great for that. I use my MDX mostly as a hwy vehicle for trips because it is so comfortable, extra tech/luxury, more interior space, and quiet compared to the RDX. Only downsides to driving my MDX like my RDX city car are:

- 14 to 16 mpgs in straight city driving compared to 19/20 on the RDX; but, can see up to 21-22 mpgs on hwy with the MDX at 70 mph (but usually 19/20 mpg on hwy at 80 mph)
- very wide, pick parking spots carefully to avoid door dings, tight fit in garage
- very long vehicle, at first the wife and I hit a few curbs with the rear tire when turning at a stop because we misjudged the length.
- 360 degree visibility isn't as good as the RDX because of the 2nd row headrests and long size, I have BSI on my MDX and it really helps
- The driver seat doesn't go back as far on the MDX compared to my RDX. I have to remove the foot rest to give me a few more inches on long hauls.
- Huge gas tank when gas was +$3.80 gallon for 91 octane 6 months ago, I could put +$70 per fill up compared to $50-$55 to go the same distance in the RDX.

For the price range of the 2012 MDX (assuming tech level around $32,000). There is also the:

13/14 2nd Gen RDX tech with push button start and up to 28 mpg on hwy, smoother ride, no sh-awd, no split screen, updated tech/looks
2012 1st Gen RDX, similar technology as MDX tech; rougher ride (more controlled for others), 22 mpg on hwy, addictive turbo power, sh-awd.

The MDX is still a very good choice if you think you need to haul, tow, and/or travel a lot with up to 4 folks in the future.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:16 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefox911
Hello,

1. I know the car requires premium. Gas is cheap right now but it could jump up again. The car salesman told me I could do half Plus, and half Premium. Is this true?

The MDX REQUIRES premium. honestly the extra cost for gas is only a few hundred dollars a year when compared to regular octane. it has a 21 gallon tank so your wallet experiences greater trauma during fill ups when compared to filling up an Accord. If MPGs are a big deal it maybe best to look elsewhere or spring for the latest MDX.

2. Does the 2012 Come with keyless entry? Some say they do.

no. you still need to press the key fob to open the doors.

3. Any suggestions on a remote starter?

can't help with this one...

4. I noticed that the major change in the 2014 redesign was that it added a second screen, one that you could touch. I assume there is no way to get that on a 2012, right? I like the 2012 body much better than the 2014, but I do like that second monitor, it makes the car looks much more modern.

the 2014...is a REDESIGN which means it will and should be dramatically different than the outgoing model (which is an 8 year old design). today's cars have A LOT of electronics in them and there is not really a way to "plug and play" the systems. honestly the touch screen interface is not all that great in some ways. we have an old accord that has a primitive version of the touchscreen controls for HVAC/radio and navi...i prefer physical buttons. my TL has a touch screen navi, but the rest of the controls have redundancies with buttons and control through the steering wheel and screen.

the MDX is about as long as an Accord give or take an inch. it is however wider by a long shot.

my 3G TL is about the same length as the MDX, but the MDX is 6 inches WIDER. my 3G TL length and width is about the same as our 03 Accord. newer Accords (my guess, is a bit longer and a tad wider than the older 03). either way, the MDX will feel bigger...it's fat in the width dept. i generally park away from people.

if the MDX meets your needs for you and your lifestyle, then go for it. if the answers to the questions you pose leaves you with doubts...well...you may need to look at other options and what is within your budget. GL.