B123 on 2010 MDX AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Registered Idiot

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
B123 on 2010 MDX AWD

tire rotate, oil/cabin filters, blah blah blah.

I'm more interested in the trans and gear fluid changes.
I've never done them before on the MDX and wanted to ask for some assistance.
I've read to open the filler bolt first when doing gear oil changes.
I know i need a pump/hose for the rear gear.

B3 service
  • Is it asking for the front, rear, or both?
  • Does the front use standard gear oil, and the rear use the fancy AWD stuff?
  • Will i need to lift the MDX for either? Same as everything else, where you fill till it overflows?

Trans:
  • is it just a drain and fill?
  • Will i need to lift that as well?
  • Am i using Acura fluid for this?
  • is there a certain amount i put in, or till the dipstick level looks good

Want to add that i tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer that weighs about 2500 pounds once a month for 500 - 1000 miles each way.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
1.- Transmission houses the front differential as is a Transaxle, Use Honda/Acura ATF-DW1.. Common drain and fill will need 3.x quarts to fill so buy 4q. For a complete service you will need 12q for a 3x4 drain and fill. Transmission fills per the dipstick. Transmission fluid can be changed without lifting the car but it's not comfortable.

2.- Transfer case is separate from the transmission it uses Honda Gear Oil HGO-1 75W-85.. I personally use Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 Full Syn. It only needs 1 quart. Transfer case fills as overflow. Transfer case fluid change needs the car to be LEVELED do not lift the car from the front axle or you will mess up the fill level.

3.- Rear Diff uses Acura very own AWD DPSF 08200-9007A, Do not use Anything else but that part number. 08200-9007 won't do, You need that last prefix "A". You will need 3q as it fill with more or less 2.75q.
Rear diff fills as overflow. Rear diff fluid needs to be changed LEVELED do not lift the rear axle or you will mess up the fill level.

Hope that information is helpful. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
The following users liked this post:
Max Attitude (03-10-2019)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Registered Idiot

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Hope that information is helpful. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
very helpful, thank you.

so transmission gets 3 fill and drains, then a fill & cap? do you run the car at all, or just fill & drain?

so best is to try and get it all done without lifting?
any reason to not change them all at the same time?
like i said, i'm towing a good distance.
If not necessary to do all three, which one(s) would be done more frequently? i'm guessing trans and front diff.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM

If you are lifting make sure you are lifting all 4 wheels... Transfer and Rear Diff has an overflow type fill which means in order to get a proper fill level the car must be leveled for the oil to spill out of the fill plug. if the car is unleveled in any axle you can either overfill or underfill the transfer/rear diff.

The front transaxle needs also to be leveled but at least you get the dipstick as reference.
What I do is fill the trans with 3 quarts on my ramps and then move the car back down to level and top off the Transmission.

You can in theory do the same with the transfer and rear diff but it's a PITA to get down there specially for the transfer case.. The rear diff can be done leveled from behind no problem.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:56 PM

As for your Towing specific questions I sincerely do not know.. I would guess when towing you must do the services twice as fast... Trans is normally 30K so I would do it every 15K when towing, etc.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Registered Idiot

and transmission gets 3 fills/drain, then a fill?
Old 10-25-2017, 06:45 PM

The proper 3x4 (The MDX uses more than 3 quarts of ATF so its 4 quarts).
Drain and Fill 1x time and drive around for a week.. Then
Drain and Fill 1x time and drive around for a week.... Then
Drain and Fill 1x time and you are DONE.

You can do another Drain and Fill for a total of 4x4 it all depends on your budget... It cant do any harm, its just that by the 3rd drain and fill you are already driving with most brand new fluid... The 4th time will be overkill.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Registered Idiot

The proper 3x4 (The MDX uses more than 3 quarts of ATF so its 4 quarts).
Drain and Fill 1x time and drive around for a week.. Then
Drain and Fill 1x time and drive around for a week.... Then
Drain and Fill 1x time and you are DONE..
is that a preference, because that's all new to me. i've never heard this many fluid changes on any vehicle ever. even my local dealership does a single flush and fill
Old 10-30-2017, 02:41 PM

Your local dealership will use a Flush..
A flush machine will actually remove the entire content of the transmission ATF and fill her up with NEW ATF.. That is all service capacity in a single procedure.
Obviously that method is the best way, But.. Honda/Acura transmissions are not designed for High Pressure Flush Machines. Only Honda has a specific Low Pressure Flush Machine. If you are doing a Flush make sure is at a Honda/Acura dealership ONLY... Do not do a flush at any "Quick lube, Jiffy, etc" places as they always use High Pressure for High Speed ATF Changes.

-High Pressure Flush will instantly destroy your transmission.

-The 3x4 is almost the same as a Flush, Just cheaper and kinder to your transmission.

The 3x4 is just recommended for cars with high mileage ATF on it (Ex: You bought an MDX with 80K on it and don´t have service records) = You do a 3x4.
I do a 3x4 every 3 years, This is my personal maintenance procedure not an Acura or Honda recommendation. Acura or Honda does not have any kind of 3x4 procedure in their manuals as they use a Flush Machine to complete the same task.

The normal drain and fill only requires 4q of ATF.

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-30-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:02 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your local dealership will use a Flush..
A flush machine will actually remove the entire content of the transmission ATF and fill her up with NEW ATF.. That is all service capacity in a single procedure.
Obviously that method is the best way, But.. Honda/Acura transmissions are not designed for High Pressure Flush Machines. Only Honda has a specific Low Pressure Flush Machine. If you are doing a Flush make sure is at a Honda/Acura dealership ONLY... Do not do a flush at any "Quick lube, Jiffy, etc" places as they always use High Pressure for High Speed ATF Changes.

-High Pressure Flush will instantly destroy your transmission.

-The 3x4 is almost the same as a Flush, Just cheaper and kinder to your transmission.

The 3x4 is just recommended for cars with high mileage ATF on it (Ex: You bought an MDX with 80K on it and don´t have service records) = You do a 3x4.
I do a 3x4 every 3 years, This is my personal maintenance procedure not an Acura or Honda recommendation. Acura or Honda does not have any kind of 3x4 procedure in their manuals as they use a Flush Machine to complete the same task.

The normal drain and fill only requires 4q of ATF.
First I ever heard of a special Honda Flush Machine, certainly not mentioned in the FSM which specifies multiple drain/fills. Can you provide a link to some info n this machine? The reason, as I understand it, that Honda does not recommend flush id due to the internal design which does not allow for plug flow through the TC. Has nothing to do with low vs high pressure.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:38 PM

I cant as I am only repeating this information shared by other members, Never done a "flush" myself in a Honda dealerships since I do all my car jobs myself.
If Honda does drain and fills at a dealership I do not know how they cycle through the gear changes or TC fluid with the car standing still, Do they go for a ride and expect each drain and fill to be enough with a couple of miles?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:18 PM
Instructor

I cant as I am only repeating this information shared by other members, Never done a "flush" myself in a Honda dealerships since I do all my car jobs myself.
If Honda does drain and fills at a dealership I do not know how they cycle through the gear changes or TC fluid with the car standing still, Do they go for a ride and expect each drain and fill to be enough with a couple of miles?
Yes, Honda has a very detailed procedure. I have read it but do not recall if it is in the FSM. I will check and report back. I do remember it does not involve driving. They do it on a lift cycling through gears at specified rpms for specified intervals.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:15 PM

If Honda does drain and fills I would never pay them for that... At least the flush made sense since it would completely replace the fluid on the transmission in a single procedure. .
Old 11-01-2017, 03:36 AM
Instructor

If Honda does drain and fills I would never pay them for that... At least the flush made sense since it would completely replace the fluid on the transmission in a single procedure. .
As I already posted, you can not do a total fluid replacement on a Honda transmission. The internal hydraulic circuits do not allow it.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Registered Idiot

Dealer says they do PCM updates after 1 transmission change to determine if it needs additional flush/fills.

This sound right?

Going to do one drain/fill, then have it checked for PCM. Then buy more fluids if needed.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:14 AM
Registered Idiot

got my first drain/fill done this weekend, how many miles do you guys do before changing it again? i have a 100 mile commute to work everyday, so i'll rack up about 500 miles by next weekend
Old 11-06-2017, 01:27 PM

With that many daily miles you could do the change in 2 days...
Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Registered Idiot

2.- Transfer case is separate from the transmission it uses Honda Gear Oil HGO-1 75W-85.. I personally use Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 Full Syn. It only needs 1 quart. Transfer case fills as overflow. Transfer case fluid change needs the car to be LEVELED do not lift the car from the front axle or you will mess up the fill level.

3.- Rear Diff uses Acura very own AWD DPSF 08200-9007A, Do not use Anything else but that part number. 08200-9007 won't do, You need that last prefix "A". You will need 3q as it fill with more or less 2.75q.
Rear diff fills as overflow. Rear diff fluid needs to be changed LEVELED do not lift the rear axle or you will mess up the fill level
My driveway is slightly sloped down on the front end. Any concerns? I didn't use jacks.

Also this is all I used on the front end. Is that normal? Thought it was closer to a full quart?

B123 on 2010 MDX AWD-photo375.jpg
Old 11-08-2017, 03:52 PM

Seems about right, As per the owners manual the Transfer Case capacity is 0.4q / 0.4l
I said 1 quart because is the minimum you can buy, not that is the fill capacity.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Registered Idiot

Seems about right, As per the owners manual the Transfer Case capacity is 0.4q / 0.4l
I said 1 quart because is the minimum you can buy, not that is the fill capacity.
Ok good. Other than 2 banged up knuckles, I got it all done today.

My ATF looked pretty good after the 1st drain, so I'm keeping my 2nd fill in there till the next service.

The dealer was telling me they only do a flush if the fluid is burnt and really bad. Otherwise they just do a drain and fill.

I'm good with doing my service on time (or sooner because I tow), so my fluid was fine.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:17 PM

Congratulations on the good work man!