Anyone know how to replace license plate bulbs on 08 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone know how to replace license plate bulbs on 08 MDX

Hi guys. I purchased the HOEN LED ARRAY for my LIcense Plate bulbs but couldn't figure out how to replace them when i tried this afternoon. Has anyone done this before or know where I can find a how-to guide? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Definitely has been done multiple times for those switching to LED bulbs. I used this tool to get the screws out to avoid scratching the paint:

Basic process if I remember correctly is outlined here. I think the job is made much harder with the presence of the camera.
1. Locate and unscrew the six or so screws holding the long plastic piece in place above the license plate.
2. If you have a rear view camera you will have to remove the screw for the painted plastic cover as well. It should easily come off but if not, squeeze the cover and pull down as it is held in place by plastic tabs.
3. I used a screwdriver (using the barrel as a lever, not the end) to wedge the plastic piece down in multiple places. It is held in place by plastic clips so it does take a little force to do so, probably a little more than you're comfortable doing. If you have a camera the entire piece will be hanging by the wire now.
4. The two white housings for the license plate lights should be seen now. You have to again pop them out by using a screwdriver to wedge and push the plastic tabs holding them in to allow the housing to come down.
5. Once the light housings are out they will hang by their wires.
6. Remove the clear plastic housing covering the light by sliding it off.
7. Remove the original bulb and place the new bulb in.
8. Turn on your lights and see if the bulb lights, if not reverse the orientation of the new bulb and it should light.
9. Reverse the process to get back to square one.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
HODOG16, thanks for posting man. Unfortunately I didn't see this response until just now and I just completed my install like 2 hours ago so I could of used it then. I managed to do it properly using a slightly different procedure than your posted instructions but it works. I want to post pics but don't know how, don't see the option. If anyone wants to see the results just PM me for a pic.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just getting around to changing my license plate bulbs. I am having trouble with the right/passenger side. I can not remove the black strip around the camera. Shoul the entire camera come down with the black strip? Does the camera separate from the strip? I read that "at this point the camera may be hanging from the wire"... What kind of clips are holding the camera in? What direction do I squeeze or push the unit to unclip or loosen it? Thanks!!