Accidentally removed Inner CV Axle Boot

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Accidentally removed Inner CV Axle Boot

CV axle problem!

I was replacing the front strut today and pulled down on the knuckle just a bit and the large part of the INNER CV axle boot popped right off. This didn't happen on the driver side but clearly I pulled harder I guess. Anyway, by some miracle, I was able to align the 3 rollers inside the axle to re-seat it and it's all the way in. My plan is to get a bag of axle grease and paste it back in around the wheels and get the boot back on. I have never messed inside the boot before and I was not excited to see grease leaking out when it came off! My questions are:

1. Does my plan have a chance of success?
2. Do I need a special band to get the boot back on or can I use a zip tie or a hose clamp?
3. If I need the special band, do I need a special tool to put it on?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffsaidso
CV axle problem!

I was replacing the front strut today and pulled down on the knuckle just a bit and the large part of the INNER CV axle boot popped right off. This didn't happen on the driver side but clearly I pulled harder I guess. Anyway, by some miracle, I was able to align the 3 rollers inside the axle to re-seat it and it's all the way in. My plan is to get a bag of axle grease and paste it back in around the wheels and get the boot back on. I have never messed inside the boot before and I was not excited to see grease leaking out when it came off! My questions are:

1. Does my plan have a chance of success?
2. Do I need a special band to get the boot back on or can I use a zip tie or a hose clamp?
3. If I need the special band, do I need a special tool to put it on?

Thanks for your help!
1) Yes, I believe so. To be clear, so the CV Axle boot did not rip, correct? Also, you have to ensure no dirt or particles get inside that boot (so I've been told as it can damage the knuckle).

2) a metal adjustable hose clamp should be sufficient. I would not trust zipties.

3) not sure... I'm not aware of a special band unless you see one on there now.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2021, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Plastic zip tie will work and if boot was full of grease do not add any. It is not good idea to mix two different types of grease.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update

Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
Plastic zip tie will work and if boot was full of grease do not add any. It is not good idea to mix two different types of grease.
It “was” full of grease, but not anymore. Most of it leaked out while I pondered what to do.
I regreased it using proper cv grease. I tried but was unable to use hose clamps. There is not enough clearance around the shaft and the clamps would be ripped off on the first revolution - likely destroying the boot.
I noticed that Harbor Freight sells stainless steel zip ties. Upon reading the reviews there are MANY people who use them for cv boots! So that will be my solution.
if all else fails, a new axle is $100 (new) and I already have it just in case.

thanks for everyone’s help.

-Jeff

Last edited by jeffsaidso; 03-06-2021 at 09:54 PM.