2008 MDX - Frontend Humming and Vibration at 25MPH+

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 01:54 PM
IR1
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MDX - Frontend Humming and Vibration at 25MPH+

I am dealing with a fairly loud humming and some vibration when traveling at 25MPH+

It does get a little louder when making a right hand turn. I have already replaced the obvious culprit, the front driver side wheel bearing. The sound seems like it is coming from underneath the drivers feet or behind the firewall there.

I can confirm the issue occurs at any just about any RPM or gear, 1-5 and neutral. I tested rolling down a hill nearby. So it is fully speed dependent. So it does not seem to be engine or transmission related. I checked the suspension on the drivers side, tie rods, etc. Everything looks good and no obvious issues. CV is intact. I also rotated the tires to see if that changed the location of the sounds, it did not.

I got the car up on 4 jack stands and I got it running with my phone recording the area where the humming and vibration was coming from. I could not get the speed up enough to get the noise to occur. Mainly the VSA system would not allow it. I did not hear or see anything obvious. Video below if anyone cares to watch and see if they see something I don't.

I am starting to suspect the transfer case is the culprit, I was inspecting it and the propeller shaft. I took the plastic shield off and noticed a fair amount of residual oil, mostly gunk and grim now, right underneath the transfer case assembly.

So I decided I would do both a transmission fluid drain and fill and gear oil drain and fill. I knew the transmission fluid was not low, I had checked it, but I figured I would do it anyway. I had last change the gear oil in the assembly about 20k miles ago. I think the interval is every 20-30K. So when I drained the transfer case assembly, there was oil in it, but it definitely seemed a little low. The color was ok.

Anyway I filled that up and then took the car for a drive. While the humming and vibration was still present, it was noticeably quieter.

Quick question, if I remove the propeller shaft, does the transfer case assembly still spin when driving/coasting? If that was the issue, would removing the propeller shaft and doing a test drive, still mean the noise could be present if it was the transfer case?
Old 04-30-2024, 03:57 PM
IR1
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turns out it was the front passenger side wheel bearing. All good now. I am a little baffled as everything indicated it was the driver side front bearing... but nope.
The following users liked this post:
Chopperpilot (05-01-2024)