2006 Acura MDX (Brakes Locking Up - Safety Issue!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Acura MDX (Brakes Locking Up - Safety Issue!!!!)

I own a 2006 Acura MDX with 80,149 miles. I was on my way to my destination and was on the freeway w/ slight traffic jam. Suddenly, my VSA light comes on. I was looking for the button and tried to switch it off. It stayed on. The traffic was beginning to move again. As I tried to accelerate, my MDX was very sluggish. I then realized my brakes locked up. I pulled over and turned it off. I turned it back on and the VSA light was off. But my brakes remained locked. I was only about 200 ft from the exit ramp and drove it to a parking lot. I shut the engine off and walked out of my vehicle. My brakes were smoking hot. I came back into my vehicle and turned it back on. The MDX started and the brakes finally unlocked. However, when I tried to get back to the freeway, I noticed that I had to press the brakes all the way to the floor just to stop. There wasn't the usual resistance when I hit the brakes. I saw a Pepboys and drove my car in to get it diagnosed. They did a diagnostic of the master cylinder, brake lines, calipers, brake fluid, & brake pads & rotors (I replaced my front rotors with brand new OEM rotors & brand new OEM brake pads at 67,700 miles). They couldn't find any leak. They suspected my brake fluid needed to be flushed. I had them flush it and put new brake fluids in. But the problem persisted. They said one of my front brakes and one of my rear brakes was not getting any brake fluid into the system. They went on to recommend that I tow it because it was unsafe to drive.
I had it towed home and disconnected the batteries. That didn't do anything for it either. I took it to the dealership today and I'm feeling already ripped off. This guy was telling me I should have had DOT 5 brake fluid put in because that's what the standard was. Is anyone out there experiencing this problem? Had I kept driving my vehicle to my destination, I think I would have driven into a ravine due to my brakes failing. But this is still dangerous because I was on the fastest lane when this occurred. I have read from other forums and this seem to be a recurring issue and not isolated.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nrgcruizer
I own a 2006 Acura MDX with 80,149 miles. I was on my way to my destination and was on the freeway w/ slight traffic jam. Suddenly, my VSA light comes on. I was looking for the button and tried to switch it off. It stayed on. The traffic was beginning to move again. As I tried to accelerate, my MDX was very sluggish. I then realized my brakes locked up. I pulled over and turned it off. I turned it back on and the VSA light was off. But my brakes remained locked. I was only about 200 ft from the exit ramp and drove it to a parking lot. I shut the engine off and walked out of my vehicle. My brakes were smoking hot. I came back into my vehicle and turned it back on. The MDX started and the brakes finally unlocked. However, when I tried to get back to the freeway, I noticed that I had to press the brakes all the way to the floor just to stop. There wasn't the usual resistance when I hit the brakes. I saw a Pepboys and drove my car in to get it diagnosed. They did a diagnostic of the master cylinder, brake lines, calipers, brake fluid, & brake pads & rotors (I replaced my front rotors with brand new OEM rotors & brand new OEM brake pads at 67,700 miles). They couldn't find any leak. They suspected my brake fluid needed to be flushed. I had them flush it and put new brake fluids in. But the problem persisted. They said one of my front brakes and one of my rear brakes was not getting any brake fluid into the system. They went on to recommend that I tow it because it was unsafe to drive.
I had it towed home and disconnected the batteries. That didn't do anything for it either. I took it to the dealership today and I'm feeling already ripped off. This guy was telling me I should have had DOT 5 brake fluid put in because that's what the standard was. Is anyone out there experiencing this problem? Had I kept driving my vehicle to my destination, I think I would have driven into a ravine due to my brakes failing. But this is still dangerous because I was on the fastest lane when this occurred. I have read from other forums and this seem to be a recurring issue and not isolated.
Did you ever find out what happened? I'm seeing something similar with my 06 TL and wanted to see if it was related.