09 MDX from 06 TL. What to expect????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 MDX from 06 TL. What to expect????

Hey guys I am looking to get rid of my wifes 06 TL and get an 09 MDX with tech package. We looked at the MDX today and I have to say I was impressed by what the car offers and the level of quality and attention to detail. I was thinking about taking advantage of the insane rebates and financing right now and pulling the trigger on a burgundy MDX with black leather and the tech package?

What can I expect???? Gas mileage?? reliability???? issues like rattles, TSB's etc. I really appreciate it guys. Thanks
Old 12-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Acuras Only in

I got a 09 MDX fully loaded earlier this year ... I came from a 2G TL & still have a 3G .. to me, MDX rides better, handles better than my wife's previous RXH ... no rattles so far (knock on wood), been getting about 21 MPG (better on HWY but I have to drop off my kid in the morning for a stop & go 3 mile round trip which drags down the # a lot ...)
Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
We traded our 07 AV6 EX-L navi for a base 09 MDX about 2 1/2 weeks ago and already compiled 1300 miles on it.

It's a great all around vehicle. The only cons we have are: fuel economy could be a bit better (17 mpg), the second row could have more legroom and it needs a Nissan/Infiniti-style Intelligent key system. Aside from fuel economy, we absolutely do NOT miss our old Accord.

For $36k, it's a great automotive buy.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 PM
4th Gear

Hey I8ABMR, nice GS you've got there!

I can give you a GS owner's perspective of the car.

Gas Mileage- My average has been anywhere between 14 and 20 depending on how much I try out sh-awd... On one pure highway stint I got about 25 MPG.

Issues- I'm only at 3000 miles so no rattles so far. I did have to have my center speaker replaced because it was blown but no problems on getting it replaced.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I traded my 06 TL NAVI for an 08 Tech Entertainment MDX.

The ride is good for an SUV, but not as solid feeling as the TL was overall. I'm tall (6', w/ 34" inseam) and preferred the feel of the TL seats more for my lower legs.

The kids love the entertainment system, but I had a number of visits back to the dealer to correct an issue with the headsets (they literally replaced every part in the system, some twice, before fixing the issue). The headphones would work fine on vehicle startup for about two minutes, then die. No sound. Wired headphones worked fine. It wasn't until I pointed out to them that they were conducting their testing with the car inside the garage (out of the sun) that they figured out it was a heat-related issue in the roof of the car and replaced the in-ceiling unit a second time to finally fix the problem (apparently, there was a circuit board being distorted by heat and interrupting functionality of the headsets).

Other than that, my biggest gripe is that with 26,000 mostly-highway miles, the tires are pretty well worn.

Mileage has been about 17 overall according to the MID. However, that translates closer to about 15 overall in real-world terms as the MID is a little "generous" for those calculations. I *have* seen the MID show as high as about 25MPG on an all-highway trip with the cruise set at 70, relatively flat terrain.

The sounds system is terrific, especially with DTS CDs or DVD-Audio discs (Eagles - Hell Freezes Over is my favorite). I like being able to have multi-zone audio between front and rear passengers (when the entertainment system is turned on). Rear seat warmers and front / rear climate control is nice too.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate (sensing a sore subject here?) the STUPID switchblade key. That thing is constantly popping open in my pocket and jabbing me in the leg. I've heard that there are issues with the keys not staying "out" properly while in the ignition because of the weight of the FOB and other keys constantly pulling down on the catch that holds it open. I combated this issue by always inserting the key so that the weight of the other keys is always pulling against the solid side of the fob as opposed to the cut-out side.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

After all of that and no black leather

Originally Posted by lucasb7
Hey I8ABMR, nice GS you've got there!

I can give you a GS owner's perspective of the car.

Gas Mileage- My average has been anywhere between 14 and 20 depending on how much I try out sh-awd... On one pure highway stint I got about 25 MPG.

Issues- I'm only at 3000 miles so no rattles so far. I did have to have my center speaker replaced because it was blown but no problems on getting it replaced.
Thanks buddy. I love my Lexus.

I just got back from Acura to make a deal on a 2010 and after nailing down all of the numbers and test driving it we find out that the dark cherry pearl is not offered with the ebony interior so we walked. My wife is so firm on wanting the black leather that she would rather just keep her TL. I don't know. I personally would prefer the cherry with the light gray leather. She wants the black so it will be easy to maintain with kids and 2 dogs.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks buddy. I love my Lexus.

I just got back from Acura to make a deal on a 2010 and after nailing down all of the numbers and test driving it we find out that the dark cherry pearl is not offered with the ebony interior so we walked. My wife is so firm on wanting the black leather that she would rather just keep her TL. I don't know. I personally would prefer the cherry with the light gray leather. She wants the black so it will be easy to maintain with kids and 2 dogs.
Yeah, that's my disappointment with the 2010's is that you can't get the black interior with the red.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:12 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

my dad had traded his 3g tl to get this and he loves...dosnt know how he could of drove anything else....its a really good car...gas isnt too bad either