3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KP Technologies Window roll up module install 3G Garage #I-097

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
DCC: the wires are the same since FAST4DR also has an '06 TL. The wires are also the same in lembowski's '04 TL as well.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:47 PM
DCC
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
haha..duh! sorry...didn't realize fast4dr's was an 06...I was lazy to click back!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is an action video if anyone is interested.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This DIY was AWESOME Took me no longer than 30 min from start to finish. This would have been a pain in my A$$ is I didn't have this write up.

Thanks for all the work put into this DIY!!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by morgan040
This DIY was AWESOME Took me no longer than 30 min from start to finish. This would have been a pain in my A$$ is I didn't have this write up.

Thanks for all the work put into this DIY!!!!!
Yeah, Datmrman and I were the first to try do do a write up. The only step we did wrong was the Green wire. After moving to the other red/white wire voila it worked.

Has anyone noticed that the windows go up at seperate times? My back windows start coming up before the front.......datmrman's passeger side goes up first
Old 05-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Pro

hey datmrman, I'll PM you on this. I was looking at both locations to find a setup that'd work. I'm just about to give it another try. I'd like to use the loom at the white connector and not behind the speaker (altho behind the speaker's the neatest way)
Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Fast4Dr for excellent writeup and pictures.
Thanks Datmrman for additional tips
Thanks Ron for posting in 3Gen Garage.

Now, waiting for my module to arrive and I'm set.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by helraiser
hey datmrman, I'll PM you on this. I was looking at both locations to find a setup that'd work. I'm just about to give it another try. I'd like to use the loom at the white connector and not behind the speaker (altho behind the speaker's the neatest way)
datmrman and I did mine behind the speaker, his is like fast4dr's. Either way it looks like a clean install, because you can hide all wiring behind the white plastic
Old 05-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Outta my way!!

Originally Posted by lembowski
as anyone noticed that the windows go up at seperate times? My back windows start coming up before the front.......datmrman's passeger side goes up first
My backs go up first, and it works (and worked) the same way when u use your key, so no worries
Old 05-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by vash68
My backs go up first, and it works (and worked) the same way when u use your key, so no worries
Yeah I guess that is right......I just wanted to have it so the windows match if I decied to have them cracked. Ya know what i mean
Old 05-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

As lembowski has stated, I have done the install with both methods. We used the TSX directions for his car. I was impatient waiting to find a good time to meet with him so I went ahead and used FAST4DR's method to install mine. The reason being is because I did want to remove the speaker if I didn't have to.

There are actually a few good places to mount the module inside the door panel. It is roomy back there. We used 2lb double sided duck tape to mount our modules, so I have a feeling they will stay put.

Things to worry about when considering mounting locations:
  • It should not interfere with the window moving up/down.
  • It should allow the door panel to be correctly reattached to the door.
  • The module should be safe from moisture/water.
  • The module should be secure so that it will not produce possible rattles in the future
In either case, both method works, so either one will do. Feel free to ask questions, I'll try to help out as much as I can.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:10 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
datmrman: great tips, thanks for the writing them up. I just got back 2 weeks trip, still recoving, but looks like I can keep myself busy this long weekend.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by waacow
datmrman: great tips, thanks for the writing them up. I just got back 2 weeks trip, still recoving, but looks like I can keep myself busy this long weekend.
hey clean out your pm's they are full......either way if you need any assistance with the module I'm sure chris or I could help you!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Pro

right now i've got things hooked up as follows:

green -> acura thin white/red line on window module (silver dots)
red -> acura thick green w/ white line behind speaker (no silver dots)
yellow -> acura thick yellow w/ green line behind speaker (silver dots)
blue -> acura thick yellow w/ black line behind speaker (silver dots)
black -> acura thick black behind speaker (no silver dots)

I'll try and tag on pics with this.

I'm going to move the green to the other white/red line on window module. That one doesn't have silver dots.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Pro

no luck. i'm gonna send the module back to KP in return for a new one and connect it the same way I did here and hopefully that'll work.

It's 30C outside rightnow, gonna go for a bike ride and enjoy the weather.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

helraiser, I took a look at your pics and I didn't see this connection (which I think is one that will mess up a lot of people). It was a click glance, since I'm at work .

This is not on the white connector itself, but in the harness that dissapears into the door behind the white plastic cover. It is the Lock Cylinder. This is what lembowski and I didn't find in our first attempt.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Pro

i made that connection on the white harness. there's 2 of them on that harness actually, one with silver dots and one without. i tried both and neither worked.

that's the only connection i made at the white connector (the '06 tsx has 2 white connectors btw, one wide for the window module and one narrow for the mirrors.)
Old 05-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Safety Car

If that is the case, then there is your problem. It is not on the white connector. lembowski and I did the same thing with our first attempt. It needs to be the same location as in the picture above.
The following users liked this post:
Davidkelly (12-17-2012)
Old 05-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by helraiser
i made that connection on the white harness. there's 2 of them on that harness actually, one with silver dots and one without. i tried both and neither worked.

that's the only connection i made at the white connector (the '06 tsx has 2 white connectors btw, one wide for the window module and one narrow for the mirrors.)
Thats where we set ours up originally on the white connector and it did not work there! You need to move it to the location datmrman showed you to work. With that one move it started working for me. Good Luck
Old 05-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Racer

On both of the TSXs I did the white/red wire was in the white harness. I haven't done a TL but its pretty obvious that the correct wire is in the white harness by the door. I'm not sure if hte TSX even has that harness. Why don't you snap a few pics of the cars wiring and post them up so we can all get a closer look. Also, there is another guy with an 06 TSX that got it working, he had problems at first and didn't see that there were two of one wire color. He switched the wire and reported that it worked without issues. I forget his name but he posted his results (I think it may have been code monkey, but not positive as I'm struggling to keep up with all 75 user names!!!!!)
Old 05-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by datmrman
If that is the case, then there is your problem. It is not on the white connector. lembowski and I did the same thing with our first attempt. It needs to be the same location as in the picture above.
Congrats to you two for getthing them both installed! I'm glad you kept with it and worked through the rough spots. Thanks again for all the great posts!
Old 05-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by kpierson
Congrats to you two for getthing them both installed! I'm glad you kept with it and worked through the rough spots. Thanks again for all the great posts!
Thanks, we wouldn't give up that easy. Do you have any thoughts on how to get the windows to roll up at the exact same time?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Racer

The staggered window control is a direct feature of the the OEM BCM and wouldn't be easy to adjust. I would imagine that its there to limit the initial current draw on the battery. A motor draws a lot of current on start up (typically twice as much as during normal operation), and they probably staggered them to protect both the battery and the motors.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are there enough people for another group purchase?

I thinking that I might be able to kill two birds with one stone. I have to remove my left door panel for a rattle anyway. I may as well do this mod at the same time. Is there going to be a group buy on this soon?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Trucki!!

The staggered window control is a direct feature of the the OEM BCM and wouldn't be easy to adjust. I would imagine that its there to limit the initial current draw on the battery. A motor draws a lot of current on start up (typically twice as much as during normal operation), and they probably staggered them to protect both the battery and the motors.
I see, I was hoping there was an easy solution......

But once again thanks for giving us such a great deal and backing your product with the support you have.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
I thinking that I might be able to kill two birds with one stone. I have to remove my left door panel for a rattle anyway. I may as well do this mod at the same time. Is there going to be a group buy on this soon?
what he said lol.......

I want that module, so I can do this mod already....
Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

I forget his name but he posted his results (I think it may have been code monkey, but not positive as I'm struggling to keep up with all 75 user names!!!!!)
I believe there are two '06 TSX members with successful installs: code_monkey and Built B16A. Helraiser, these are the guys you might want to PM.

Thanks KPierson for the followup. I had a good feeling what we needed to do the night we got back from our first attempt. It just took us about a week to arrange a meet to fix it.

It looks like you better increase your production on these modules. They're getting a lot of attention.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Racer

We got a shipment of new circuit boards last Friday, but they are the wrong ones. I called the manufacturer and they are going to rush the order, but we are still looking at 2 weeks or so.

I don't think we are going to do another group buy for a while, instead we are just going to offer a low price to all Acurazine members.

I also want to spend some more time testing the one touch sunroof opener/closer. I still haven't had a chance to meet with either of my local TSXs to install this new module in them.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Pro

Here are some pics I took before putting the panel back on. The wiring's a lil' diff between the TL and TSX. I PM'd the other guys that got theirs working. More pics of the wiring is available on my earlier post.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Pro

BTW, there is no harness that dissappears into the door on the '06 TSX. The only harnesses are the window/door lock module, the mirror module and the memory seats.

Everything comes together at the door in one big bundle that's held onto the door with electrical tape. There's only those 3 harnesses (2 white and one grey.) The large white harness is the window/lock module, smaller white harness is the mirror module and the grey is the memory seat.

Everything meets behind the speaker in one big mess of wires run inside the duct. There is another cable wrapped in duct tape but that's for the door's light.

Edit: the only way there could be another connector is if it's firmly hidden behind the white poly in which case it'll have to get cut significantly to find it.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Racer

Check to see if there is another green/white wire in the harness behind the speaker. I think I remember someone saying there are two.

From memory I think you have the right white/red wire, but I can't seem to find my TSX pictures. I'll take a look at Moda_ways and see if I can figure anything out.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Racer

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10206

There is Moda_Ways DIY. He has one picture of the harness with the green wire connected. From where I'm sitting they look like the the harnesses are the same, but I can't be sure.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Pro

My red wire is connected to the green/white that has no silver dots. mod_away's is connected to the one with the dots. I'll try it his way and actually splice the wire as he did and not rely on the wire taps - eliminate those as a potential problem.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Safety Car

helraiser: 22-18 gauge wire taps are fine. They're easier to fix than splicing anyway.

Since you claimed earlier that you fried the module, do you think it still works? I think you need to find a multimeter to test your connections.

I added some notes to one of FAST4DR's pictures. This is how it looks like for the TL. Are you sure there isn't a gray plug above the two wire connectors for the TSX?

Remember that he tapped into the white window connector and is not using the loom behind the speaker, but, in comparing the two installs, both the KP green wire taps into that same gray plug on top for the TL.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Racer

You may also want to open the module up and see if you can see any visual damage (black spots, broken components). If the module is bad there is no point in trying to finish the install.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro

i opened it up and it doesn't look bad. no damage, no burnt spots, nothing. it looks fine except for the acrid smell when i opened it up.

sorry datmrman, no grey module behind the white piece. I'll stretch it a bit more but when i was fishing the wires through I basically ran my hand all over the wire and there's nothing else there.

I'm going to go take it apart again. Will try and decipher moda_way's instructions as they're TSX specific and will let y'all know.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Pro

Cool Success!

Booyah... got 'er working.

I had to go behind the speaker route as moda_way suggested. The differences between the TL and TSX are very subtle but enough to make a difference. One thing to note is there's wires that have silver dots and ones that don't. Use the silver dotted wires for everything!

Behind the speaker here's the connections I made:

KP Red --> Acura Green/white stripe
KP Black --> Acura pure Black
KP Yellow --> Acura pure Yellow
KP Blue --> Acura Yellow/black stripe

Attached to the window module (remember to use the silver dotted wire):

KP Green --> Acura White/red stripe(on large white window module)

I can see why soldering would be the way to go cuz once you wash your car or first rainfall, the inside does get wet. I'm going to put electrical tape over the taps, stuff them into the wiring duct and tape that section up.

Install complete. Another successfull KP-tech mod.

Total time to complete ~15mins (not including making it look neat. :-)

Thanks for all the help KP, datmrman, lem, Fast4dr and moda_way

Next up, 1-touch sunroof!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
good job, and thanks for the info.........and we already have a one touch sun roof lol.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Pro

not in the '06 tsx. gotta hold 'er down and another thing, it's a good thing i took the panel off one last time to get this thing working. I forgot to attach the cable for the door handle!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Congrats helraiser! Now go out an write a DIY thread for the TSX Community.

Quick Reply: KP Technologies Window roll up module install 3G Garage #I-097