Bad Accident - We all survived

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
RLX-SH - May you soon find relief from your pain and be back to your normal self again soon. Prayers to you and your family.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
... to find a person ogling the SH. Normally I would spend as much time as the other person wanted sharing details and experiences about the automobile because of the joy it brings to me. Not today. I basically blew the guy off in disgust ...
Well, if there was any doubt about what bad shape you are in, this erases it! I know how you feel about your car, and we'll know you're getting better (soon, please) when you start talking SH-AWD-talk again. Seriously, get better, man.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Prayers to you and you family for a quick recovery!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:13 AM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
sorry to hear this, RLX-Sport Hybrid. Wishing and looking forward to you and to your family's speedy recovery
Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
How is the recovery going?
Old 08-21-2015, 03:53 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
<p>@RLX-Sport Hybrid</p><p>Update? &nbsp;Everything moving along well?</p>
Old 08-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Update

Well I am making real progress. My kids are completely fine and my wife is feeling better too (thank god). We replaced the old MDX with a 16 Tech in the same color. No excitement here.

It will be a while before I can drive the Blackbird again because the torque delivery is so immediate, my neck can't take it, even just getting out of my driveway. In fact just putting it in D from a stop hurts to much. So it will be quite some time before I can drive again. I have a long recovery ahead of me. I can't go into any details on the legal front other than to say the other insurance company knows that they will be writing a sizable check for pain/suffering and lost work time. Limits are high on the other policy and mine is ready in the waiting in case we want to access it. This is a prime example why having cheap car insurance and an inadequate umbrella policy can hurt you. Thank you all for asking about how I am doing as well as the PMs many of you have sent me. I have not been posting for a while because of the medications I have been taking so posting while hammered is never a good idea. Well not hammered but you know what I mean.

I will say that being in the passenger seat of the 16 MDX, the ride seems the same as the 14. I have not checked out Acura Watch Plus yet on the car, but I'm sure it is nice. Honestly I'm sad that my car enthusiasm is very muted at the moment. I'm not my old self yet. It is hard to describe feeling that your neck is not stable (almost as if it is broken), even though structurally it is sound, is very unnerving.
The following 4 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
fsmith (08-22-2015), hondamore (08-22-2015), pgeorg (08-22-2015), wstr75 (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
<p>I am sorry to hear you'll be having trouble for a while, but glad you can look forward to a full recovery.</p>
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
I am extremely happy to see that you are doing better RLX Sport Hybrid, especially hearing that the family is doing well! I hope your recovery is quick and as painless as it can be!
Hang in there, and welcome back!
Old 08-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Bad Accident - We all survived

Glad to see you're doing reasonably OK. Agree with you on not posting too many details due to pending litigation.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I am sorry to hear you'll be having trouble for a while, but glad you can look forward to a full recovery.
I'm very determined. I will one way or another. Thanks for the kudos.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pgeorg
I am extremely happy to see that you are doing better RLX Sport Hybrid, especially hearing that the family is doing well! I hope your recovery is quick and as painless as it can be!
Hang in there, and welcome back!
Many thanks! It is good to be back on the board. Now if I can get back in my car.... I have to gingerly back myself into the passenger seat like a 90 year old man and very carefully and slowly slide my legs into the car. I can't reach to put my seat belt on yet, so my wife has to help me. I have to lean the seat all the way back so that when my she touches the gas, the motion is almost like traction with the weight of my head in a vertical motion, rather than a forwards and backwards movement if I were sitting up. I can't wait to get the hard collar off. Should be the end of next week. No fun.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
wow hope for speedy recovery
Old 08-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Great to have you back RLX-Sport Hybrid.

Recovery from surgery sucks, but hopefully you get a bit better every day and before you know it you'll be back behind the wheel of your "black beauty" enjoying Sport mode and that sweet, sweet handling.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hondamore
Great to have you back RLX-Sport Hybrid.

Recovery from surgery sucks, but hopefully you get a bit better every day and before you know it you'll be back behind the wheel of your "black beauty" enjoying Sport mode and that sweet, sweet handling.
Thanks Hondamore! I told my PT therapist to give me things to do when I am not in her office so I can accelerate the treatment. Feeling this way REALLY sucks and I can't wait to feel better. With the collar on chewing is not easy, so I have been losing a few lbs just from reduced intake. Never a bad thing. My range of motion is creeping up about 1% each direction per day which is positive news. My attorney and I are negotiating with the other insurance company for appropriate compensation as this will have life long consequences. I can expect accelerated arthritic conditions in the next 20 years as well as a few other things. The compensation has to take that into account. My attorney is more interested in the amount than I am as it really is meaningless in the big picture. No amount of money is really going to compensate for this.

On a side note, my wife is driving the Blackbird more now and she is not a car person by any stretch of the imagination. However, she is reporting that it is a blast to drive and wonders how I have not been pulled over for going warp speed yet. She said she had not summoned the courage to "give it all of the beans" as she says that there is way more power than anyone really needs. After wiping the tears from my eyes I agreed with her, but then I rebutted to say, isn't it lots of fun? She conceded. Also she said that the brakes are "touchy" and way firmer/powerful than she is used to in the MDX. She said the car handles like it is on rails and seems like you could never lose control of it at any speed. Interesting point of view since she is not a car nut like us, so she looks at things differently. She does not like the HUD as she finds it distracting. And lastly she thinks the doors are too big. I don't have these complaints, just that I can't get any behind the wheel time yet.
The following 6 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
fsmith (08-24-2015), hondamore (08-23-2015), Malibu Flyer (08-23-2015), pgeorg (08-23-2015), TLtrigirl (08-24-2015), wstr75 (08-23-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-23-2015, 11:36 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Glad you are back posting again. It is a small step forward but a welcome one.

We wish you a speedy recovery. You need to get back behind the wheel of the Blackbird or your wife will be fighting with you over the keys.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
We wish you a speedy recovery. You need to get back behind the wheel of the Blackbird or your wife will be fighting with you over the keys.
Or, once you're better you'll have to follow through with your plan to own TWO.

It's true, there is no money amount to buy back your health, or to compensate for future deterioration from the initial injury. But I sense that you are a positive person, and will find a way to be happy. And besides that, I dare expect medical science to be able to "repair" this kind of damage within the next 20 years.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sooththetruth
Or, once you're better you'll have to follow through with your plan to own TWO.

It's true, there is no money amount to buy back your health, or to compensate for future deterioration from the initial injury. But I sense that you are a positive person, and will find a way to be happy. And besides that, I dare expect medical science to be able to "repair" this kind of damage within the next 20 years.
Thank you very much! I have to say that this incident has given me a moment of pause and as much as I love my Blackbird, I think for the moment until my recovery and rehab are completed, I am holding off on anything else added to the garage. I at least sat in the driver seat inside the garage today. My wife took it again and came back with a big smile, almost sinister looking. I better be careful or she won't give it back to me when I am able to drive again. I told her to slum it with the new MDX. Off to PT again.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Thank you very much! I have to say that this incident has given me a moment of pause and as much as I love my Blackbird, I think for the moment until my recovery and rehab are completed, I am holding off on anything else added to the garage. I at least sat in the driver seat inside the garage today. My wife took it again and came back with a big smile, almost sinister looking. I better be careful or she won't give it back to me when I am able to drive again. I told her to slum it with the new MDX. Off to PT again.
I think you already lost the battle RLX-Sport Hybrid.......Your wife is already hooked....You should have hidden the keys:-)
I see you driving the MDX....:-)
Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Pro

I think you already lost the battle RLX-Sport Hybrid.......Your wife is already hooked....You should have hidden the keys:-)
As I and others have often said here....one test drive and you are a goner. Your wife is getting an extended test drive so watch out. Perhaps she will take mercy on you because of your diminished condition.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think you are absolutely right!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
As I and others have often said here....one test drive and you are a goner. Your wife is getting an extended test drive so watch out. Perhaps she will take mercy on you because of your diminished condition.
Originally she was intimidated by the car, but now she is not quite excited but more enthusiastic than when she drives the MDX. I think my days with the car are numbered. Damn Acura engineers. Why did they have to make such an awesome car!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
RLX-Sport Hybrid....Sorry for being late to the posting board as I have been hanging mostly in the TLX sections these days (and much less than before also).

Let me extend my warmest well-wishes for a full and speedy recovery! We never realize how life can change for any of us in a single moment. When I find myself being grumpy about the slightest little things, I read a post like this and then put life in perspective.

I am confident that you will get better and will make a full recovery. Just remain optimistic, take one day at time and let life restore you to your young self. I hope this person who changed your life will be held fully accountable for what she has done to you and your family.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by weather
RLX-Sport Hybrid....Sorry for being late to the posting board as I have been hanging mostly in the TLX sections these days (and much less than before also).

Let me extend my warmest well-wishes for a full and speedy recovery! We never realize how life can change for any of us in a single moment. When I find myself being grumpy about the slightest little things, I read a post like this and then put life in perspective.

I am confident that you will get better and will make a full recovery. Just remain optimistic, take one day at time and let life restore you to your young self. I hope this person who changed your life will be held fully accountable for what she has done to you and your family.
Thank you very much for the kind words.

Well the collar came off today (thank god), and now I am using a soft collar "as needed". Big step! I can start to drive again starting next Friday if I continue to improve at the steady pace that I am. Awesome!

My wife drove me over to the doctor's appointment in the Blackbird for the first time and the torque from the engine in everyday driving did NOT hurt me. Very promising!

So although I am no where near fully recovered, I feel very encouraged that it appears that the worst is behind me. Another day, and another 1-2% of rotational flexibility.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
pgeorg (08-28-2015), weather (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
When the time comes I highly recommend physical therapy. Works better long-term than any medication, spinal injection, chiropractic maneuver that I've experienced.

Americans are in such a hurry they don't pay attention and drive carelessly. Imagine if people acted face to face to others in the same manner that they drive...run in front of someone entering a store to get inside first, skip them in line to use the bathroom, basically act as if their presence is an abomination to society. We all get stuck at the same red light down the road anyway. Lately I've been practicing courteous driving, my intention was that it might be contagious, so far doesn't seem to be.

I can confidently say I don't text and drive and if I see someone I know doing it you'll hear about it.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your accident. I hope things turn around in your favor. Cars don't matter when it comes to people. You'll enjoy your hobby again once things resume normalcy.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PICA
When the time comes I highly recommend physical therapy. Works better long-term than any medication, spinal injection, chiropractic maneuver that I've experienced.

Americans are in such a hurry they don't pay attention and drive carelessly. Imagine if people acted face to face to others in the same manner that they drive...run in front of someone entering a store to get inside first, skip them in line to use the bathroom, basically act as if their presence is an abomination to society. We all get stuck at the same red light down the road anyway. Lately I've been practicing courteous driving, my intention was that it might be contagious, so far doesn't seem to be.

I can confidently say I don't text and drive and if I see someone I know doing it you'll hear about it.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your accident. I hope things turn around in your favor. Cars don't matter when it comes to people. You'll enjoy your hobby again once things resume normalcy.
I appreciate the positive vibe. I have been in PT 5 days a week since a few days after surgery. Working to get off the meds was the first goal. Getting the collar off was the second. Both are now done! PT will be ongoing for a long time as I have significant reconditioning to attend to. My family is fine which is really what matters. I'm a stubborn old bird so getting through this will happen. My car hasn't been washed in a month! I have work to do!

Again thank you for the kind words. Everyone should just slow down an enjoy life. If you are going to be in a hurry, just don't put others in danger to do it. And for god sake get enough sleep before getting behind the wheel! If you are moving you should not be able to receive/send a text. A simple solution and the technology is already in the phones to do that.
wstr75 (08-28-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I don't know if you'll be interested in this, but this is the result of a very high speed rollover event (probably 80+) encountered by some acquaintances from the racing world.

Two humans and a dog survived this with relatively minor injuries.

So...the next time we're picking on Acura for stodgy designs, let's remember that the roof stands up to this kind of thing.

Yes, they did go right back out and get another Acura.
This is why I drive a BIG car, not to mention I'm 6'2" but the big car gives you more protection in my opinion.

Chris
wstr75 (09-01-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well after six weeks, the soft collar came off, the PT is continuing and I am back behind the wheel. The insurance company stuff is done and my hope is to be able to play golf again by next spring. I'm focused and stubborn so I will make that happen!

Back to the car! It was great to sit behind the wheel and turn it on for the first time in weeks. I love everything about the car. It still wows me just as much as it did when I bought it. Something hit me (not literally) when I pulled out of my driveway. Driving this car makes me feel successful. It is hard to describe that feeling, but meaningful. My business partner let me drive his new S550 and although that car is ridiculous, I actually like my RLX-SH better. That car is a potpourri of things to mess with on the dash and around the vehicle, but the driving experience is different. It felt almost isolating and video-game(ish). It was very luxurious for sure, but not my taste.

Like it has been said time and time again. You drive the Sport Hybrid, you buy the Sport Hybrid. Like a high quality drug. One hit and you are addicted.
The following 3 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
fsmith (09-05-2015), hondamore (09-05-2015), pgeorg (09-06-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Glad you're feeling better!
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Great news to hear you are back behind the wheel where you belong. Hope the next stages of recovery go as well as these initial phases.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Pro

I'll bet the Blackbird is as happy as you are to have you back in the driver's seat.

Really happy that you are well on the road to recovery.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Glad to hear you are better
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
Glad to hear you are better
Me too! Thanks. I have a long way to go, but making steady progress. If I were 30 years younger I would have bounced back faster, but it is what it is. My PT started out with just moist heat packs and electronic stim. Eventually we moved to include therapeutic massage of my neck too. But I saw the biggest gains when I started to move the neck to begin to regain motion flexibility. Every session includes the goal of extending the range of motion with different exercises and my PT team is awesome. All the pain meds and muscle relaxers are gone (thus why I can drive again). However I hope to be done with this part of the recovery by the end of the year. They tell me that is an aggressive goal because of the complications in the sugery, but I'm determined to get back to my old self. Pisses me off when I think of the senselessness of the accident, but that is water under the bridge.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
The following 3 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
fsmith (09-08-2015), George Knighton (09-09-2015), pgeorg (09-08-2015)