2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:38 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
These things are in the 60's no used hybrid. I see some in low 50's still 10K off damn.

Last edited by krava; 04-24-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:22 AM
Racer

Any idea how to find out if they are going to make another one? like the sport hybrid guy said, these might be worth some money later on. When I first heard of a car that could do 377HP and 30+ MPG I was saying this is my next car but the price I was saying, Give me 3 years and the price would be reasonable enough to get, but now seems you won't be able to find one anywhere, this is horrible news. It could be good news if acura found a problem in the sport hybrid they don't want to tell anyone about and that is why they discontinued it. I would be glad not to get one then. But car company's don't tell you what is wrong, just like lexus didn't tell me about the engine in my car that can never be fixed correctly ever again because of the design flaw. I think there were only 250 of these made or something? Am I running to conclusions or what? I want to get my hands on one of these things before you can't get them ever again. I don't want to be stupid and pay $55K-$60K even and then the resale value goes in the toilet like the regular RLX. Kind of makes me wish I never knew anything about the RlX's.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^
...And I do mean, amp it up and try to differentiate it.
Completely agree Bob. That's the only way it stays relevant, not only on the market, but more importantly within the Acura lineup itself.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Put the current SH car in an A7-like styling package (minus the gaping maw) and they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

I don't mind at all the look of the current RLX. It's very appropriate for the intended niche (and no worse - and possibly better - in the styling department than many of its competitors).

But if Acura really wanted to swing for the fences, a Legend-type move, they'd put this car with its fabulous technology in a highly-styled (think refined Italian or Aston) body. Wow.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by krava
It could be good news if acura found a problem in the sport hybrid they don't want to tell anyone about and that is why they discontinued it.
Whoever started calling us beta testers was probably right. The 5G Legend as configured for North America was just to see what the owners would say about a high powered, torque vectoring, hybrid car for the future.

It's an important phase we have to get through on the way to all electric vehicles, which are themselves a phase on the way to hydrogen.

Nothing's wrong with the RLX Sport Hybrid, as evinced by the entire 2015 model year production run from Saiyama being sold in the JDM as the Honda Legend.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
Whoever started calling us beta testers
*raises hand*

was probably right. The 5G Legend as configured for North America was just to see what the owners would say about a high powered, torque vectoring, hybrid car for the future.

It's an important phase we have to get through on the way to all electric vehicles, which are themselves a phase on the way to hydrogen.

Nothing's wrong with the RLX Sport Hybrid, as evinced by the entire 2015 model year production run from Saiyama being sold in the JDM as the Honda Legend.
I think you could be right, but don't you think that if there had been more demand and sales, Honda would've at least tried to make more, or if they couldn't, made some statement about "not enough battery stuff" or some such?

Who knows. What will be, will be.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:57 PM
MNH
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Just figured I'd chime in as a lurker here who's been waiting for the nav to be updated and first year model kinks to be worked out with the RLX SH.

I've been reading everything available on the SH-AWD model and was planning on buying the 2nd model year. I guess we'll see if that next model year ever appears now.

I have no interest in a FWD (or RWD for that matter) vehicle. Looks like I may now end up in a GS350, despite the lackluster fuel efficiency, sometime soon.

Oh well...
Old 04-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Based on this revelation I am considering negotiating to buy a second RLX-SH for collector purposes only. In other words, mothball the car under a cover in the garage. What do you all think? Stupid or visionary? Here is the vin# JH4KC2F59EC000131
Ok boys, here is the latest. I went to the dealer and saw the car. Looks sharp (see below-mine is the black one). The color is different for sure with the seacoast interior. A little tint might help. However when I shared the pictures with my wife, she was not enamored with the color. She prefers the grey or silver. So even though I was offered $55,000 I will look elsewhere for either of the other colors for #2. The dealer knew basically nothing about the car and the salesman did not know how rare it was. The other RLX in the back ground is a PAWS. My car was cleaner than the new one and a detail guy stopped but to ask what the heck I do to make it look like that. I told him OCD elbow grease, patience and dedication.

The following 2 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
pgeorg (04-24-2015), TSX69 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

You're really going through with #2 if you find a suitable?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

You're really going through with #2 if you find a suitable?
I'm considering it very strongly. Do you think Acura will notice? Not..... I had my checkbook in hand. That would make me the Optimus Prime of the betas.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 255 Posts
Does anyone know how the Legend sales have been in Japan?

If they are good and the only reason we don't have them in the US is a supply problem, I would expect them to get the supply issues worked out and they will show up here as a MMC for the 2016/17 model year.

There is no doubt that it is a pretty special car with state of the art technology. The infotainment system problems need to be improved for the whole car line so I expect it will slowly get better in future models, whether RLX PAWS, TLX or ILX.

Colin -- Have you heard anything about the Sports Hybrid going extinct?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Pro

TSX69 spread this to the TOV. I'm sure Jeff will have obtain some meaningful information from his Acura contacts and get this news verified. He'd just said something about a Sport Hybrid announcement.
I don't follow TOV much....any new reliable news there on the fate of the Sport Hybrid?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm considering it very strongly. Do you think Acura will notice? Not..... I had my checkbook in hand. That would make me the Optimus Prime of the betas.
LOL! Yes. Yes, it would.

We Autobots bow to you.

Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I don't follow TOV much....any new reliable news there on the fate of the Sport Hybrid?
Not yet. Jeff popped back in to again say that there will be an announcement, but now he says "later this year".

Is the Sport Hybrid a skunkworks project?
The following users liked this post:
Malibu Flyer (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

LOL! Yes. Yes, it would.

We Autobots bow to you.

Not yet. Jeff popped back in to again say that there will be an announcement, but now he says "later this year".

neuronbob (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
To answer Malibu Flyer's question, I seem to recall reading something about Honda planning to make 200-300 Legends PER MONTH to satisfy the JDM.

There may be quite a few loyal Acura buyers like MNH who were waiting for the second model year to pull the trigger on buying a Sport Hybrid - certainly enough to warrant another run of a couple hundred to arrive in the fall as a 2016 model.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Found a grey one in Boston with the vin# JH4KC2F53EC000268
Old 04-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Pro

Absolutely, after all why else nick name it "Blackbird"?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Ok boys, here is the latest. I went to the dealer and saw the car. Looks sharp (see below-mine is the black one). The color is different for sure with the seacoast interior. A little tint might help. However when I shared the pictures with my wife, she was not enamored with the color. She prefers the grey or silver. So even though I was offered $55,000 I will look elsewhere for either of the other colors for #2. The dealer knew basically nothing about the car and the salesman did not know how rare it was. The other RLX in the back ground is a PAWS. My car was cleaner than the new one and a detail guy stopped but to ask what the heck I do to make it look like that. I told him OCD elbow grease, patience and dedication.
You must really, really, really, really love this car. When I see the RLX, I can't seem to muster the same passion, but that's why we're individuals. It's unfortunate for Acura that there aren't more people who have your passion.

I think that while the concept of a Sport Hybrid is very intriguing in a techy-sort of way today, in 5 to 10 years, technology would have progressed such that most of us are driving something electric. Looking back to right now, the Sport Hybrid would probably not be all that distinctive and "special." Kind of like looking back at the first Android or iPhone (gee-whiz at the time, but awfully out of date in very short time). I'm guessing that it's going to be along the lines of some special-edition Volvo or Saab (quirky, rare because nobody wants one, very specialized in its appeal). Nothing wrong with that though.

Hey, why stop at two Sport Hybrids? Go for three!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Racer

What is wrong with the infotainment? RIght now I am putting in a finace application for a 2014 RLX PAWS advanced 6K miles for $36,500. If I don't get 5.9% or less and only financing 15K I will wait, if I get it I will pick it up when I can. It is the Saphire pearl and greystone I think. I want the hybrid but I can't justify spending another 20K on it. I have to use my mind on this. This thing has bad ass tech, not too fun to drive, but why does it have to be fun? I just drive to and from places I don't street race or anything. If I fail with this attempt, I will try again when I actually need a car.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Found a grey one in Boston with the vin# JH4KC2F53EC000268
H-1, 1B should be its name if I get the grey one.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hddnav
You must really, really, really, really love this car. When I see the RLX, I can't seem to muster the same passion, but that's why we're individuals. It's unfortunate for Acura that there aren't more people who have your passion.

I think that while the concept of a Sport Hybrid is very intriguing in a techy-sort of way today, in 5 to 10 years, technology would have progressed such that most of us are driving something electric. Looking back to right now, the Sport Hybrid would probably not be all that distinctive and "special." Kind of like looking back at the first Android or iPhone (gee-whiz at the time, but awfully out of date in very short time). I'm guessing that it's going to be along the lines of some special-edition Volvo or Saab (quirky, rare because nobody wants one, very specialized in its appeal). Nothing wrong with that though.

Hey, why stop at two Sport Hybrids? Go for three!
If you drove an SH you would have just as much passion. It is just that awesome. Two would be enough. Shoot one is enough but I'm very passionate as you say.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Racer

1-b? What about GreyStroke? (not sure where I came up with that maybe something about Tarzan or something. it is simular to something)
Old 04-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

1-b? What about GreyStroke? (not sure where I came up with that maybe something about Tarzan or something. it is simular to something)
History my friend about special airplanes:

On September 13, 1935, Howard Hughes set a three-kilometer speed record of 352 mph in the revolutionary one-off airplane known as the H-1, 1B, or—his preference—simply the Racer.

We go a little deep over here on the RLX side. Us old guys have been around a few times. Lots of sunsets.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Malibu Flyer
I will be disappointed if they do discontinue it but it won't change the smile I have on my face every time I get into mine. I just can't believe that with this remarkable technology in this car that it will just vanish from the American market.

In regard to whether or not this will be a collector's item and appreciate, I really don't care. I plan on keeping mine for a long time [I bought an extended Acura warranty]. I never look at a car as an investment. The enjoyment I get from driving it is all I am looking for as a "return" on my investment. So far my "return" is beyond my expectations.
Exactly my thoughts! Including the smile!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
I guess nothing should surprise us about Acura's (mis)handling of the RLX. I am sure they have no appetite to import the Sport Hybrid with expensive batteries and technology and then have to offer huge incentives to move them. The whole 2014 Sport Hybrid debacle with stealth announcements and no marketing probably convinced them that they cannot sell the car without incentives , since it is still not sold out after many months on the market. All in all, Acura has entirely botched the RLX - what a shame.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:53 PM
Grandpa

What is wrong with the infotainment? .
It is subjective. Takes getting used to. Complicated. Several different ways to do the same thing.

Some of us have trouble with how the voice commands operate. A command that will work once in any menu will only work in its submenu the next time.

While on the NAV menu, you might be able to say, "iPod play Amy Winehouse."

But the next time it won't work unless you're on the AUDIO menu.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

It is subjective. Takes getting used to. Complicated. Several different ways to do the same thing.

Some of us have trouble with how the voice commands operate. A command that will work once in any menu will only work in its submenu the next time.

While on the NAV menu, you might be able to say, "iPod play Amy Winehouse."

But the next time it won't work unless you're on the AUDIO menu.
And how slow it is...and the traffic info visibility...and the inconsistencies in how you navigate through lists on some screens but not allowed to on others...

Bugs that shouldnt have slipped past QA.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:02 AM
Racer

Never used any voice commands in my car now as it is, so it is a little thing for me. I need to be sleeping, driving to mobile to pick up the car actually today
Old 04-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by holografique
And how slow it is...and the traffic info visibility...and the inconsistencies in how you navigate through lists on some screens but not allowed to on others...

Bugs that shouldnt have slipped past QA.
I can deal with it...except the voice commands.

But I have to agree with your points even though I'm "dealing" with it.

:-)
Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
I can deal with it...except the voice commands.

But I have to agree with your points even though I'm "dealing" with it.

:-)
Very sad how the infotainment system a $65K car can give you an experience that's similar to a buggy early 2000's Motorola cell phone (even below that of the 1st iPhone). Acura is by not means to only manufacturer to have such sub-par electronics, though.

Nothing can date the design of a car more than the user interface in electronics, because the consumer electronics industry to improving at such a fast rate (due to fierce competition). Meanwhile, the auto industry, dominated by hardware designers who are incompetent at software and treats software like an afterthought, moves at a glacial pace and just can't keep up.

On my 2013 TL, the best part about the infotainment is that I can plug in my iPhone into the USB socket, and that the system is pretty fast in controlling the iPhone from the steering wheel. The built-in navigation is completely archaic (compared to Waze), but at least I have a million buttons on my dash to bypass the car software.

The best car software is to have no software and just be able to flawlessly mirror the smartphone screen, with the same responsiveness as the smartphone.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Grandpa

The best car software is to have no software and just be able to flawlessly mirror the smartphone screen, with the same responsiveness as the smartphone.
It's funny you mention that....

;-)
Old 04-25-2015, 11:54 AM
MNH
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Very sad how the infotainment system a $65K car can give you an experience that's similar to a buggy early 2000's Motorola cell phone (even below that of the 1st iPhone). Acura is by not means to only manufacturer to have such sub-par electronics, though.

Nothing can date the design of a car more than the user interface in electronics, because the consumer electronics industry to improving at such a fast rate (due to fierce competition). Meanwhile, the auto industry, dominated by hardware designers who are incompetent at software and treats software like an afterthought, moves at a glacial pace and just can't keep up.

On my 2013 TL, the best part about the infotainment is that I can plug in my iPhone into the USB socket, and that the system is pretty fast in controlling the iPhone from the steering wheel. The built-in navigation is completely archaic (compared to Waze), but at least I have a million buttons on my dash to bypass the car software.

This is indicative of the type of flaw that turned me off of considering the first model year for the SH. I'm also disappointed in the lack of included spare tire, not to mention the aggravation that Bob (and others) have had to endure while trying to obtain the requisite parts to fit one themselves. I just don't want to work that hard in this space (with respect to what should be table stakes on a new luxury sedan).

In general I'm of the mindset to not serve as a beta tester on major purchases like a new car (though I thank you guys for doing so! ). The exception to this rule is when I'm particularly interested in, or need, a product *now* that hasn't yet been wrung out by early adopters. In the case of an automobile, though, I'm not unhappy enough with my current ride so as to feel adequately pressured to become a beta guy (albeit I've done so on a variety of occasions in the electronics realm, at a price point lesser by a couple of orders of magnitude).

Originally Posted by hondamore
There may be quite a few loyal Acura buyers like MNH who were waiting for the second model year to pull the trigger on buying a Sport Hybrid - certainly enough to warrant another run of a couple hundred to arrive in the fall as a 2016 model.
Perhaps interestingly, I am actually a Lexus guy who has never owned an Acura (or a Honda). Since I'm in New England I would only consider an AWD sedan to replace my current ES350. I currently drive a 15 yr. old Tundra during inclement winter weather, but it is quickly getting very long in the tooth. I'd likely already be in a GS350 except for the fact that I feel it is somewhat underpowered and not very fuel efficient.

I have been extremely compelled over the years by Acura's torque vectoring AWD system and feel that it is likely the best power transmission option (to the ground) in the mainstream marketplace. The total HP made by the RLX SH is equally compelling, particularly when coupled with its excellent fuel efficiency.

Others have expressed being disillusioned at, among other things, the fact that so many of the SH units out there are equipped with the Tech as opposed to Advance trim. I admit that in a moment (or two) of weakness I have taken a look at the locally available SH vehicles and every single one of them is Tech. I couldn't see foregoing the LKAS and ACC in a vehicle like this, and I will certainly require those features in the next car I purchase.
The following 4 users liked this post by MNH:
2011TL (04-25-2015), holografique (04-25-2015), hondamore (04-25-2015), neuronbob (04-26-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ there you go Acura, hope you're listening...just more of what I've been saying for ever now...If you're gonna ask $60k+ MSRP for a car, it needs to have EVERYTHING. People who can afford this price point are NOT bargain shoppers looking to nickle and dime. We want "easy", we want the best of every possible feature, attention to detail, solid quality, AND we don't want to be BETA testers in the process.
The following 5 users liked this post by holografique:
2011TL (04-27-2015), hadokenuh (04-27-2015), Malibu Flyer (04-25-2015), MisterZDX (04-27-2015), neuronbob (04-26-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
It's funny you mention that....

;-)

Yep, I'm waiting for an SH that supports CarPlay. That's the future of infotainment systems.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^^ Clearly the future (along with the Android counterpart).
Old 04-27-2015, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

CarPlay looked great in the few videos that exist out there. I would gladly welcome this to the Acura lineup.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Wink 2016 Hybrid

Acura has taken another step in solidifying its reputation as the safety leader and innovator in the luxury segment with the addition of the Acura RLX to its growing list of models earning a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score, the top available rating in the U.S. government's New Car Assessment Program (NCAP). The safety rating, which includes 5 star ratings in all 6 crash test ratings and a 5-star rollover resistance rating, applies to the 2016 RLX and RLX Sport Hybrid.

In addition to the RLX, Acura has earned top safety ratings from the NHTSA and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating for the TLX performance sedan and MDX luxury SUV, which are each equipped with the exclusive AcuraWatch™ suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies. AcuraWatch™ has expanded to every model in the Acura lineup for 2016.

"The 2016 Acura RLX exemplifies how the brand is creating new value for luxury customers with the addition of advanced safety technologies," said Michael Accavitti, senior vice president and general manager, Acura Division. "Luxury customers expect the latest in technology and Acura delivers with safety and driver assistive technologies available across the lineup."

AcuraWatch™
Available on all trims and standard on the Technology and Advance packages, the RLX now includes AcuraWatch™, a comprehensive suite of safety and driver assistive technologies that help to improve the driver's situational awareness and, in certain circumstances, intervene to help avoid a collision or mitigate its severity. AcuraWatch™ includes Acura's Collision Mitigation Braking System, an autonomous emergency braking (AEB) feature that the NHTSA recently announced would be added to its list of NCAP recommended safety features.

The 2016 RLX offers the most comprehensive suite of safety and driver assistive technologies available on an Acura vehicle to date; depending upon trim, the RLX includes:
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (LSF)
Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS)
Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) – new to RLX
Blind Spot Information (BSI)
Multi-View Rear Camera with Dynamic Guidelines
Cross Traffic Monitor – new to RLX
Acura Surround View Camera System
The luxury sedan features the first U.S. application of Acura's Surround View Camera system, which provides a 360-degree image of the area around the vehicle. Assisting drivers with critical and precise driving and parking situations, the system employs 4 cameras to seamlessly create a composite bird's eye image to provide the driver with information about the surroundings. The cameras can also provide singular views behind, in front, to the left and right of the vehicle. Dynamic guidelines are displayed on the navigation screen to help the driver see their projected path relative to the lines demarking parking spaces or other objects, allowing them to maneuver with greater confidence.

RLX Gets Other Key Refinements
The 2016 RLX flagship luxury sedan has also received significant chassis tuning refinements to enhance ride quality and has upgraded to 19-inch wheels that are standard across all trims. Despite all of the additions to the 2016 model year, the manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) of the 2016 RLX remain unchanged from the previous model year.

The 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid, which features a 3-motor Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system with electrically powered torque vectoring, will go on sale in early June.
hondamore (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
^^
Ok. So now the 2016 SH RLX will be released. On Acura's FB page last week it is reported as ambiguously dead or dead for now. To Acura -- Which story has validity?
Old 04-30-2015, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm sure this is much more valid. As others have said, the facebook post was probably a know-nothing social media intern.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
The Facebook reply was accurate for the 2015 model year.

This official Acura release seems to allay any fears that the Sport Hybrid was becoming extinct. As appealing as my owning a very, very rare car would be, it is still preferable that more people get to enjoy the RLX Sport Hybrid experience.
fsmith (04-30-2015)

Quick Reply: 2018 Acura RLX MMC (2018 spy pics pg 15, reveal pg 18)