Steering Wheel is Vibrating like crazy!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steering Wheel is Vibrating like crazy!! Help!!

Hi guys~First of all I am sorry to bother you. I know you guys have read similar thread from other members in the web however I could not find answers.

I have a problem occured recently on my steering wheel and perhaps my car itself. It vibrates like crazy when I am driving. Before about few days ago, I felt the vibration in a speed of around 90 to 100km/hr but now I can feel it around even 50 to 60 km/hr speed on my steering wheel.

Today I went to Acura Dealership for 4 wheel alignments and change to brand new tires.

Right after the service it was fine driving around 60 to 80km/hr speed without rattling or vibrating. However after 1 hour rest and when I took my car on highway, my car slowly started to vibrate (around 80 to 100km/hr). This time, my car was vibrating even after slowing down for exit from the highway.

Another thing to mention is after driving on highway, when I was slowing down with putting on brake, it felt like brakes are unevenly wear. It feels like stop and go, stop and go type of feeling...

Please help me guys~I would be really appreciated~: )

Thank you and drive safe guys~
Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
does it shake only when you brake or all the time ?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Bent rim?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

my car shakes all the time~and I believe there is no bent rim~
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Well doesn't sound like anything wrong with the braking system. Only thing I can think of is it sounds like a bent rim or something . But you said you took it to the dealer for an alignment and to put new tires on... they should have seen and told you if there was a bent rim before they gave the car back to you with 4 new tires.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
i had Acura Legend 92, Acura RL 02 and now Acura TL-S. All my cars had vibration issues. I tried to changes alot parts, like tires, rims, brake discs, cv axles. nothing helped me. It looks like Acura is made to vibrate
My fiance has 06 Infniti g35x, i drove that car for 30k miles never felt any kind vibration, my parents have two toyotas, no vibration, i had subaru for 3 years, no vibration.
Maybe it is my bad luck, but i am already tired of trying to find solution and waisting money for the fix.
All my acuras vibrated on certain days, certain speeds...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
my tl vibrated but only when tires got older ... the fact that u have new tires and there is a vibration is fishy ... maybe its a bad balance causing the vibration still after new tires. a bent rim is not always visible to the naked eye, so maybe there is a bend ... the best way to tell is to put it on a balancer and spin it to see if its bent. lastly if there is no bend, and they rebalance and there is still a vibration i would suggest getting it roadforce balanced by a reputable shop this hopefully will solve ur problems
Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
You brake problem sounds like a warped rotor.

The vibration could be a bad shock, bent wheel, loose wheel, tires out of balance, etc..
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM
7th Gear

Have you hot a pothole recently? Last year I hit a pothole in my 2007 TL and I ended up with a bent rim. I replaced the bad rim and this helped for a while. Now I have vibration again in the steering wheel. I think that originally I had 2 bent rims due to the severity of the pothole that I hit. I am going to check my other rim at a reputable wheel fix it shop and also check the brake rotors. I had this vibration many years ago in another vehicle that I owned and it stemmed back to rotors that had to be cut and new brake pads installed.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

^ interesting .... i have always wondered how that makes a vibration in the steering wheel ... anyone care to explain?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Another interesting thing was happend today. My car did not vibrate or shake this morning when I was driving around 40 to 60km/hr on local traffic but when I take it to highway again it started to vibrate severely. So I exited highway to take local but vibration was still there even though I was driving around 40 to 60km/hr. This time I found this noise when I was driving on highway.....ooong ooong ooong.....lol sorry about my description. The noise was not that loud but I think it is related to the vibration. Another thing was when I put brake or slowing down, it felt like my car was like stop and go stop and go. It seems like I have a bad brake rotor or disc or something.

I have an oppointment with Acura on next monday for inspection for vibration. I will let you guys know~: )

Drive safe guys and have a nice day~: )
Old 04-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

is there a chance that the vibration may be road related? is the pavement smooth when u get the vibration in ur steering wheel?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
You also might have a caliper hanging up. I've seen this before where the vibration gets worse as the brake heats up and gets tighter as you drive. Next time it happens, carefully bring you hand towards each wheel and see if one is noticeably hotter. Also look for one wheel to be darker/dirtier than the others.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TLer trash
You also might have a caliper hanging up. I've seen this before where the vibration gets worse as the brake heats up and gets tighter as you drive. Next time it happens, carefully bring you hand towards each wheel and see if one is noticeably hotter. Also look for one wheel to be darker/dirtier than the others.
I was thinking the same thing.

Unless there's a bent wheel, there's really no reason why you should be getting a bad vibe from the front end unless a caliper's sticking. It could be a bad ABS sensor, too.

All that's assuming you don't have any damage to a steering component.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
happened after the dealer installed new tires and did the alignment?? take it back to the dealer. be specific when the vibration occurs or if the car pulls or if it vibrates with accelerations/decelerations. vibrations like rattles...the dealer hates those b/c it could be anything.

but since you just had the tires replaced and had an alignment done...take it back to the dealer, let them figure it out. if they say its fine...insist you ride in the car with the tech or shop foreman and talk them through.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Cruisin'

Get the Wheels Rebalanced 1st and if that doesnt help then move on to Tranny/Motor Mounts
Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
have the wheels rebalanced by the shop that put them on. When they balance the wheels have them check for bends.

If that doesn't solve the problem (no bends) it's probably some suspension bushings.

The problem you are feeling with the brakes may be warped rotors or a sticking caliper. Have you flushed the brake fluid out according to the manual's time intervals?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

First of all thank you very much for you answers and concerns.

I was thinking the samething as ID: TLer Trash. Because my front right brake area was hotter than the others. So I will go to Acura again to check if there is a problem with my calipers.

By the way, just out of curiousity how much does 4 brake rotors, pads? If there is a problem with my brakes and etc, i want to replace them myself.

Are there any good brake rotors and pads that you guys recommend? I willing to spend around $400 Canadian dollar since I am in Canada. : ) If caliper is gone bad, how to fix it? if I have to replace it how much does it cost?

Once again thank you very much for you help and please drive safe guys~ : )
Old 05-01-2011, 02:40 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Cronos2010
First of all thank you very much for you answers and concerns.

I was thinking the samething as ID: TLer Trash. Because my front right brake area was hotter than the others. So I will go to Acura again to check if there is a problem with my calipers.

By the way, just out of curiousity how much does 4 brake rotors, pads? If there is a problem with my brakes and etc, i want to replace them myself.

Are there any good brake rotors and pads that you guys recommend? I willing to spend around $400 Canadian dollar since I am in Canada. : ) If caliper is gone bad, how to fix it? if I have to replace it how much does it cost?

Once again thank you very much for you help and please drive safe guys~ : )
lots of options for rotors and pads. brakemotive, powerslot/stoptech, rotora, racing brake, OEM...depends on what you want and what you are looking for (cheap no name parts which may possibly warp, upgrade a little with quality parts, or arm and a leg, big brake kit). there are a lot of threads on here on brake pads and rotors and everyone is gonna have an opinion.

check excelerate performance, they have brake pkgs for AZ peeps for reasonable price. my thought is if you are going to keep the car a while, and you have to replace parts...why not upgrade a little?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
OP, if you are looking to replace all you pads and rotors I would probably go with a set of Brembo blanks (about $60/ea) and a set of Hawk HPS pads. You won't need anything more aggressive than that for daily driving.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Thank you very much for your comments. I will try putting them by next week and see what happen~ : )
Old 05-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

good luck
Old 05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Hi guys~I went to the Acura yesterday to replace 4 front brake pads and re-surfacing? 2 front brakes. It cost me $400 CAD to do it and my car is running back to normal now~

Thank you very much for your help, concern, and comments!

Take care and have a nice day guys