Sponsored by:

Speeding Tickets... How to help you.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speeding Tickets... How to help you.

Hey guys,

Let me first say that what you are about to read is not to bash cops, or intentially break the law and create mayhem. I am putting this up here because I would have loved to have known this in February.

I was doing 70 in a 65... no biggy... left lane, keeping up with the flow of traffic. I was on my way to work one Saturday morning for some OT and the overhead sign said that an exit on the freeway had closed. Getting my bearings and thinknig about an alternate route I went into a 55mph zone without realizing it. Must have only been about 500 feet or so. Within 20 seconds I was pulled over for 15 over. 165 dollars and 4 points.

I wasn't hotdogging or intentially speeding recklessly, I was just not paying attention for a few seconds. I know that ignorance isn't accepted in the law, but this cop was waiting for me... he had to have been... literally, 20 or so seconds after reading that sign I got pulled over. Must have been a trap. This article really would have helped me with this, as now, I have to be careful for the insurance, etc.

How to beat that traffic ticket
Friday March 30, 6:00 am ET
Craig Guillot

If you've ever been ticketed for speeding or running a red light, you already know that the fine you pay may only be the beginning of your cost.

If it's your second offense, that mistake may very well drain a whopping $700 out of your pocket over the next three years. That's because, on average, a driver's insurance premiums can increase by 25 percent after a second violation.

Most traffic courts rely on the fact that nine out of 10 drivers will just pay their tickets and move on. Established to expedite cases quickly and efficiently, traffic courts serve as vital sources of revenue for many counties.

Their desire to get you in and out can work in your favor when fighting a ticket. Attorneys who specialize in traffic court cases have very high dismissal rates based simply on technicalities. In many cases, with a little effort and research you can obtain the same results.

Auto clubs and insurers are unlikely to publicly give drivers tips for beating tickets in court, but there are a number of things you can do on your own to keep your tickets off your driving record.

Alex Carroll, author of "Beat the Cops: the Guide to Fighting Your Traffic Ticket and Winning," says that challenging a ticket is one of the easiest things a person can do in the legal system. Carroll runs a Web site that gives people information they can use to fight their tickets. As a former courier that was "basically paid to speed," he has beaten eight out of 10 of his tickets.

Those who have successfully beaten a traffic citation all agree that one should never immediately pay the fine -- it's an automatic admission of guilt. Even those who are honest about their guilt will find that many counties offer special pleas for first-time offenders that will keep the violation off the driving record under probational conditions that can often include driving school.

Aaron Quinn, communications director for the National Motorists Association, says that his organization pushes for better speed limits and fair enforcement practices. He says the organization played a role in the repeal of the 55-mph national maximum speed limit in 1995 and sells the "Guerilla Ticket Fighter," a tape that shows drivers how to fight their tickets.

"Never plead guilty or no contest, especially if it's your first ticket. If you have a clean driving record, your chances of keeping it off your record are much better," says Quinn.

If that's not an option, you'll need to learn a little bit more about the legal process. Carroll recommends going to the courthouse to file a discovery motion or a public records request. You can check the ticketing officer's notes, calibration records for radar guns and verify that all data was recorded correctly.

"Many times, one of those documents turns up out-of-date, doesn't exist or is inaccurate and you end up winning by default because they don't have their paperwork together," says Carroll.

Scott McCoy, a driver from northern California, recently beat a ticket by filing motions until he found erroneous paperwork.

If all the paperwork is in order, offenders can then attempt to speak with the assistant district attorney and state their reasons why they should reconsider the charges. Carroll says that many people are successful by simply contesting their ticket through the mail (also known as "trial by declaration") with a detailed and well-thought-out defense. Defendants can have an advantage with this method because, unless the officer submits his or her own written rebuttal, it's a one-sided argument.

"Very few people fight their tickets with the trial by declaration option. Unless it's a kangaroo court, the judge will usually drop it if you make a coherent argument," says Carroll.

When faced with a court date, try to delay or postpone the trial as long as possible. In many courts, it's not uncommon to have a court date three months after the offense occurred. At the very least, a postponement in the trial is postponing a conviction and the resulting increase in insurance premiums. Quinn also recommends asking for a trial by jury because it places a further burden on crowded courts and increases the chances of dismissal.

Another advantage in postponing the court date is that it can significantly increase the odds that the officer will not be present during the trial. Because a defendant always has the constitutional right to question their accuser, most judges will drop the case if the officer does not show or submit testimony.

"You always want to make it more difficult for them to show up," Carroll says. "Never go with the date on your ticket. That's usually a 'gang date' for the officer. If you schedule for an extension that falls on a different day, chances are they aren't going to come in on their day off just for you."

Contrary to popular belief, Carroll says that camera-issued tickets are often the easiest to beat because a defendant has a constitutional right to question their accuser. Courthouses will rarely go through the trouble of bringing the video or picture to court, and even if they do, there is no human subject to question other than the officer who viewed the it.

"The minute he opens his mouth, you just object because it's hearsay and the ticket will be dropped," Carroll says. "Most people just don't have the courage to do this though. That's why some of these cities are making millions of dollars per camera. They know you're not going to do that."

While traffic cameras are becoming more common, their legality is being debated in courtrooms around the country.

Not all agree that people can fight their own tickets. In some states such as Texas, California and Florida, attorneys have thriving businesses fighting traffic citations and aren't eager to encourage do-it-yourselfers. While he uses some of the same tactics, California attorney Stanley Alari insists that motorists don't stand a chance in court on their own. Alari goes by the moniker "Stan the Radar Man" and has beaten thousands of tickets in California court rooms.

"Cases often get dismissed because police officers are often not prepared and don't bring the necessary evidence to convict somebody. Still, a defendant needs a competent traffic ticket lawyer or he's going to lose," says Alari.

While one can always hire a lawyer, the fees aren't always worth it for minor violations, especially when it's a first offense. Texas, California, Florida and New York have thriving traffic ticket law businesses with low fees, but in most states, legal representation for minor violations isn't cost effective. With a little homework and time, many traffic citations can be overcome and whether you're guilty or not, you probably don't want to pay increased insurance premiums if you don't have to.

"It's not really hard to do," Carroll says. "It just takes some work. You need to put in a little time. If you're making millions of bucks, it isn't worth it. But for the average person, it's worth your time because those insurance surcharges are pretty costly."

Maybe it will help some of you.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do some people pay their tickets and not fight it? Time is money, and all those hours of reviewing documents and meeting with prosecutors takes time.

Plus, some states are being more aggressive in their traffic courts. Here in Indiana, the judges are daring you to play the "hope the cop doesn't show" game. For example, a standard speeding ticket is $100 and let's assume you postpone the trial in hopes the cop doesn't show or for some other reason. You walk into court and the judge figures out you were playing the game, he slaps a $500 fine on you PLUS court costs because you're an idiot. What was once a $100 fine is now $500+ because you're a moron.

Have a legitimate argument which contradicts the officer and proves you weren't speeding - fine.

Trying to "beat the system" without support is lame.

You play. You pay.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:02 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
thanks. I was planning on fighting a ticket. Have an upcoming trial on 5/23
Old 04-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Some of that stuff is really general and may not apply in all states. For example, in Florida there are no jury trials for civil infractions. Hearing officers and judges in Florida will sometimes continue a matter if a cop doesn't show up for trial. Additionally, cops in Florida get in trouble for not showing up to court dates and they also get overtime pay so they have even more incentive to show up. There are no assistant state attorneys in the court room for civil infractions so there is no negotiating. This is the way it is in Florida- not sure about other states.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

yes, it definatly is state dependent.

"Trying to "beat the system" without support is lame.

You play. You pay."

It's not necesarrily trying to beat the system... I mean, I guess I can see where you are coming from on that, but for my instance, when I got hit with the 15 over, you bet I would have wanted to know this... not to "beat the system" but to give myself a break from a cop who obviously was done with third shift and wanted OT.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:21 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fant0m_TL
Hey guys,

Let me first say that what you are about to read is not to bash cops, or intentially break the law and create mayhem. I am putting this up here because I would have loved to have known this in February.

I was doing 70 in a 65... no biggy... left lane, keeping up with the flow of traffic. I was on my way to work one Saturday morning for some OT and the overhead sign said that an exit on the freeway had closed. Getting my bearings and thinknig about an alternate route I went into a 55mph zone without realizing it. Must have only been about 500 feet or so. Within 20 seconds I was pulled over for 15 over. 165 dollars and 4 points.

I wasn't hotdogging or intentially speeding recklessly, I was just not paying attention for a few seconds. I know that ignorance isn't accepted in the law, but this cop was waiting for me... he had to have been... literally, 20 or so seconds after reading that sign I got pulled over. Must have been a trap. This article really would have helped me with this, as now, I have to be careful for the insurance, etc.

How to beat that traffic ticket
Friday March 30, 6:00 am ET
Craig Guillot

If you've ever been ticketed for speeding or running a red light, you already know that the fine you pay may only be the beginning of your cost.

If it's your second offense, that mistake may very well drain a whopping $700 out of your pocket over the next three years. That's because, on average, a driver's insurance premiums can increase by 25 percent after a second violation.

Most traffic courts rely on the fact that nine out of 10 drivers will just pay their tickets and move on. Established to expedite cases quickly and efficiently, traffic courts serve as vital sources of revenue for many counties.

Their desire to get you in and out can work in your favor when fighting a ticket. Attorneys who specialize in traffic court cases have very high dismissal rates based simply on technicalities. In many cases, with a little effort and research you can obtain the same results.

Auto clubs and insurers are unlikely to publicly give drivers tips for beating tickets in court, but there are a number of things you can do on your own to keep your tickets off your driving record.

Alex Carroll, author of "Beat the Cops: the Guide to Fighting Your Traffic Ticket and Winning," says that challenging a ticket is one of the easiest things a person can do in the legal system. Carroll runs a Web site that gives people information they can use to fight their tickets. As a former courier that was "basically paid to speed," he has beaten eight out of 10 of his tickets.

Those who have successfully beaten a traffic citation all agree that one should never immediately pay the fine -- it's an automatic admission of guilt. Even those who are honest about their guilt will find that many counties offer special pleas for first-time offenders that will keep the violation off the driving record under probational conditions that can often include driving school.

Aaron Quinn, communications director for the National Motorists Association, says that his organization pushes for better speed limits and fair enforcement practices. He says the organization played a role in the repeal of the 55-mph national maximum speed limit in 1995 and sells the "Guerilla Ticket Fighter," a tape that shows drivers how to fight their tickets.

"Never plead guilty or no contest, especially if it's your first ticket. If you have a clean driving record, your chances of keeping it off your record are much better," says Quinn.

If that's not an option, you'll need to learn a little bit more about the legal process. Carroll recommends going to the courthouse to file a discovery motion or a public records request. You can check the ticketing officer's notes, calibration records for radar guns and verify that all data was recorded correctly.

"Many times, one of those documents turns up out-of-date, doesn't exist or is inaccurate and you end up winning by default because they don't have their paperwork together," says Carroll.

Scott McCoy, a driver from northern California, recently beat a ticket by filing motions until he found erroneous paperwork.

If all the paperwork is in order, offenders can then attempt to speak with the assistant district attorney and state their reasons why they should reconsider the charges. Carroll says that many people are successful by simply contesting their ticket through the mail (also known as "trial by declaration") with a detailed and well-thought-out defense. Defendants can have an advantage with this method because, unless the officer submits his or her own written rebuttal, it's a one-sided argument.

"Very few people fight their tickets with the trial by declaration option. Unless it's a kangaroo court, the judge will usually drop it if you make a coherent argument," says Carroll.

When faced with a court date, try to delay or postpone the trial as long as possible. In many courts, it's not uncommon to have a court date three months after the offense occurred. At the very least, a postponement in the trial is postponing a conviction and the resulting increase in insurance premiums. Quinn also recommends asking for a trial by jury because it places a further burden on crowded courts and increases the chances of dismissal.

Another advantage in postponing the court date is that it can significantly increase the odds that the officer will not be present during the trial. Because a defendant always has the constitutional right to question their accuser, most judges will drop the case if the officer does not show or submit testimony.

"You always want to make it more difficult for them to show up," Carroll says. "Never go with the date on your ticket. That's usually a 'gang date' for the officer. If you schedule for an extension that falls on a different day, chances are they aren't going to come in on their day off just for you."

Contrary to popular belief, Carroll says that camera-issued tickets are often the easiest to beat because a defendant has a constitutional right to question their accuser. Courthouses will rarely go through the trouble of bringing the video or picture to court, and even if they do, there is no human subject to question other than the officer who viewed the it.

"The minute he opens his mouth, you just object because it's hearsay and the ticket will be dropped," Carroll says. "Most people just don't have the courage to do this though. That's why some of these cities are making millions of dollars per camera. They know you're not going to do that."

While traffic cameras are becoming more common, their legality is being debated in courtrooms around the country.

Not all agree that people can fight their own tickets. In some states such as Texas, California and Florida, attorneys have thriving businesses fighting traffic citations and aren't eager to encourage do-it-yourselfers. While he uses some of the same tactics, California attorney Stanley Alari insists that motorists don't stand a chance in court on their own. Alari goes by the moniker "Stan the Radar Man" and has beaten thousands of tickets in California court rooms.

"Cases often get dismissed because police officers are often not prepared and don't bring the necessary evidence to convict somebody. Still, a defendant needs a competent traffic ticket lawyer or he's going to lose," says Alari.

While one can always hire a lawyer, the fees aren't always worth it for minor violations, especially when it's a first offense. Texas, California, Florida and New York have thriving traffic ticket law businesses with low fees, but in most states, legal representation for minor violations isn't cost effective. With a little homework and time, many traffic citations can be overcome and whether you're guilty or not, you probably don't want to pay increased insurance premiums if you don't have to.

"It's not really hard to do," Carroll says. "It just takes some work. You need to put in a little time. If you're making millions of bucks, it isn't worth it. But for the average person, it's worth your time because those insurance surcharges are pretty costly."

Maybe it will help some of you.
Good looking out!!

I got two coming up! (damn CAI! - LOL!) I'm going to try to do some of this stuff, and I have already had a ticket or two dropped off because of a cop no-show in years past, so that part alone I know works!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gladly pay more money than the fine and hire a lawyer to take care of it for me.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Worked for me two times. The first time I hired a local lawyer who got the charges dismissed with 3months probation (no speeding tickets). The second time I did the driving school thing. Payed a fee and paid for the tape. The overall costs for both routes were about the same price as the tickets but the silver lining is that they weren't reported to my insurance.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

In the Saint Louis Missouri area tickets are routinely amended to parking tickets or excessive vehicle noise. They just want money. I'm an attorney and I never have to have actual trials or do any of the stuff described in the post above -- all I have to do is ask the prosecutor. However, they won't do this unless you have a lawyer. :-)
Old 04-20-2007, 09:48 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by MikeC65
In the Saint Louis Missouri area tickets are routinely amended to parking tickets or excessive vehicle noise. They just want money. I'm an attorney and I never have to have actual trials or do any of the stuff described in the post above -- all I have to do is ask the prosecutor. However, they won't do this unless you have a lawyer. :-)
How much should someone expect to have to pay an attorney to go with you to traffic court? On average, acknowledging that all districts are different.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I like the Traffic School alternative the best, as long as you keep the ticket frequency down to > 18 months (in CA anyways).

Got my first ticket in a long time heading to Palm Springs in January (Hint: drive 55 through Anza). I'm now doing an online traffic school for: $29 court fee + $27 school fee + ticket fine. Altogether it will cost $194 to deal with the ticket plus maybe 4 hours with the online school. I don't know if the lawyer route would result in a huge cost savings on a radar ticket. The cop was very good as I had a detector even- he popped me before I could slow down. No one else was driving in the area so I ran into a 'better then average bear' who happens to keep his radar off. He was quite proud of his conquest, but I did persuade him to write me up for 65 instead of the 75 mph that I was going. Somehow I think that cop would make it to the court date if I tried to fight it.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

lol... in one night my brother racked up 32 points lol... first, display of power (i think thats what they called it), he was reving his engine at the stop light to egg on another car (he had an Integra - this was about 6 years ago before he went into the military). Then squeeled his tires... then the actual race... and then when it was over, the cop had seen him. my bro was heading down the on ramp to get in I-94 with a semi behind him in one lane, then the cop was behind the semi... needless to say my bro didnt see the cop (he really didnt) and so they got him for evading the police and failure to stop for an emergency vehicle (which in my mind is the same thing - isnt it?)

he racked up $3k worth of stuff... idk how but they cops really screwed with him. after they cuffed him and arrested him they were giving him shit at the station too, making fun of him because they caught him and apprently he was trying to be "slick".

It was complete BS.

He hired a lawyer for 2 grand, got the points reduced from 32 to 4 and got away with a 300 dollar ticket.

It was such bs because sure, he revved his engine, big freakin deal, and his tires squeeled... he never "ran" from the cops or anything.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

he racked up $3k worth of stuff... He hired a lawyer for 2 grand, got the points reduced from 32 to 4 and got away with a 300 dollar ticket.
I guess I would have kicked out 2 G's if I was facing that shit too! Damn!

LeeDogg, if you are tuned in, how much for a traffic lawyer in MD pimp? For just speeding though, none of that Dukes of Hazzard shit that fantom is talking about!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by darksom1
For just speeding though, none of that Dukes of Hazzard shit that fantom is talking about!
lol that made me crack up
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^ Lol
Old 04-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Cruisin'

so i got a ticket for goin 60 in a 35. but the sign a while back said 45. what do u guys suggest i do to fight the ticket? the court date isnt till 6/14. should i extend the court date? pay it off????
Old 04-21-2007, 02:23 AM
RAR

I guess I would have kicked out 2 G's if I was facing that shit too! Damn!

LeeDogg, if you are tuned in, how much for a traffic lawyer in MD pimp? For just speeding though, none of that Dukes of Hazzard shit that fantom is talking about!
I was quoted 500 flat for lawyers in Fairfax (where my trial is)
Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

sigh i just got a ticket like 2 hrs ago and this is pretty ironic but ill see if this actually works and leedogg tell me how your trial is mines in june 19th.

kinda off topic but oh well
it was kind of weird i had my V1 radar on and i didnt see or hear it go off. Will this help me since he put that he used a radar ?? Or does my v1 just suck?
Old 04-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by mrchan625
sigh i just got a ticket like 2 hrs ago and this is pretty ironic but ill see if this actually works and leedogg tell me how your trial is mines in june 19th.

kinda off topic but oh well
it was kind of weird i had my V1 radar on and i didnt see or hear it go off. Will this help me since he put that he used a radar ?? Or does my v1 just suck?
he may not have used a radar/laser. He may have gotten the car next to you (if there was one) or he may have just timed you. it's not that hard to determine how fast you are going by timing, they teach you how to do that in drivers ED.

another thing to remember is that cops (well, most cops) aren't stupid. departments are using new beams that a lot of lower end, like Cobra, detectors can't even detect... I know that V1 is more expensive, and with that you get more bang for your buck, but usually every time there is an instance where you can "fool" the fuzz, they come out with something to counter it. its irratating.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:47 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by leedogg
I was quoted 500 flat for lawyers in Fairfax (where my trial is)
I was told by a DC cop that a speeding ticket in DC won't affect your MD license record or insurance. Only your DC driver rating. (meaning that you can accumulate enough points in DC to suspend your DC driving priveleges)

Is this not true in Virginia as well? I thought that was why you are encouraged just to pay out of state traffic fines because they don't affect your license, they just want the money. Let me know and good luck man!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

there might have been a car next to me but not sure could i use that in my defense?? and it was a dark cloudy night also if that helpS
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

never hurts to try... its not as though they can increase the penalty for trying to reduce it. good luck man.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Gosh, hearing all these stories it makes me glad to live in S. Florida... All I have to do is give the ticket and $65 to TicketBuster and they'll take care of everything. No points, No school, No ticket, No hassle. It was like it never happened
Old 04-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by psheu
Gosh, hearing all these stories it makes me glad to live in S. Florida... All I have to do is give the ticket and $65 to TicketBuster and they'll take care of everything. No points, No school, No ticket, No hassle. It was like it never happened
ticketbuster? whats that?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:00 PM
RAR

I was told by a DC cop that a speeding ticket in DC won't affect your MD license record or insurance. Only your DC driver rating. (meaning that you can accumulate enough points in DC to suspend your DC driving priveleges)

Is this not true in Virginia as well? I thought that was why you are encouraged just to pay out of state traffic fines because they don't affect your license, they just want the money. Let me know and good luck man!
not sure if that applies to va/md.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:38 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by carlsbadTL
so i got a ticket for goin 60 in a 35. but the sign a while back said 45. what do u guys suggest i do to fight the ticket? the court date isnt till 6/14. should i extend the court date? pay it off????

You should do something, you are likely to have your license suspended going that much over.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Pimpin' Ain't Easy!

Originally Posted by subinf
You should do something, you are likely to have your license suspended going that much over.
idk about that man... i was real stupid one time and opened up my entirely stock cavalier (LAME I KNOW) on an abondened (or so i thought) country road... 84 in a 45 (39 over) 6 pts and $336 ticket. I did however get it reduced to 19 over, but the points and fine stayed.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good info
Old 04-21-2007, 04:07 PM
One on the right for me

idk about that man... i was real stupid one time and opened up my entirely stock cavalier (LAME I KNOW) on an abondened (or so i thought) country road... 84 in a 45 (39 over) 6 pts and $336 ticket. I did however get it reduced to 19 over, but the points and fine stayed.

Were you in California with a California DL? If not then it's not the same as what you had to deal with, each state deals with speeding tickets differently.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by leedogg
not sure if that applies to va/md.
Sad to say but it really depends on the clerk at the court you are found guilty in. If the clerk is too lazy to send it to the DMV of your state then it does not show up on your record in your home state. My wife used to work as a clerk at traffic court.

If you want to beat a ticket hire an attorney. Most likely though you are throwing away your money! As for continuing your case hoping that the officer does not show up...in VA most of the officers have 1 traffic court date a month assigned to them already so when you continue your case they just put it on that officers next court date so he will definitely be there. Again it's pretty much a waste of time to fight a ticket. Unless you have a really bad record or multiple tickets save yourself the hassle and pay it before your court date or they usually add an additional charge
Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Cruisin'

for my court date on 6/14, do u guys think i should delay the court date for another month or so? and does anyone that lives in cali know around how much a speeding ticket of goin 60 in a 35 (possibly 45) mph zone? i know its gunna be a bitch to pay but im just lookin for like a ballpark figure
Old 04-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Best bet is delay long as possible. You have 2 chance to delay it. Then hope the cop don't show up or plea gulity and request traffic school. Tell the judge I'm sorry and will not do it again. Ask the judge nicely if he/she welling to reduce the fine. Still a win-win situation. Thats wat I'm going to do. Good Luck man.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

ticketbuster? whats that?
It's one of those lawyer services. They send you all kinds of soliciting mail after you get a ticket. If you get those mail, you can be sure someone in the household got traffic ticket. All they want to do is represent you in court and get the ticket dismissed. I don't know about other places but in South Florida that's normal.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:04 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by psheu
It's one of those lawyer services. They send you all kinds of soliciting mail after you get a ticket. If you get those mail, you can be sure someone in the household got traffic ticket. All they want to do is represent you in court and get the ticket dismissed. I don't know about other places but in South Florida that's normal.
I didn't get jack in the mail but a court date!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:49 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by carlsbadTL
for my court date on 6/14, do u guys think i should delay the court date for another month or so? and does anyone that lives in cali know around how much a speeding ticket of goin 60 in a 35 (possibly 45) mph zone? i know its gunna be a bitch to pay but im just lookin for like a ballpark figure

Depends on the county. I'd set aside 400 dollars just to play it safe. My g/f got a ticket going through Mojave at 23 over and it was 395 dollars.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
hire a lawyer. around here they are like $300 and will get you off w/ no points and just fines.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I didn't get jack in the mail but a court date!
Hmmm... Rules must be different between different states... Looking into yellow pages for lawyer specialized in minor traffic infrections... even if they cost $150-$200 it is still worth it... It'll save u precious quality time u can spend with matters other than attending those boring traffic school and no point added to your license. The ticket alone is worth it
Old 04-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Cruisin'

damn 4 bills.... goddd damnn. well its my first OFFicial ticket so hopefully ill get off a lil easier. thanks for the advice blue96 and subinf. i think imma delay it and pray the cop doesnt show
Old 04-21-2007, 09:33 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
uhmm....I was doing 140 on the MA Pike and was caught by a MA trooper whom asked me how long had I worked at my company and he had saw that I had put a dramatic distance between the car I was keeping up with ( an older Impala SS ) so he felt I had to be stopped............
After some small talk like..."I just had argument with the wife and had to blow off some steam...Sir" ....he said keep it under 100 and let me go..... ....
Old 04-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Cruisin'

How much should someone expect to have to pay an attorney to go with you to traffic court? On average, acknowledging that all districts are different.
I'll answer this but you need to realize that in the St. Louis area it is very very easy to get a ticket amended to no-point/non-moving, assuming the person doesn't have a horrible driving record, and as a result the average attorney fees is very very low compared to other states. I rarely have to go to court at all. If I do, for a routine ticket I charge $150. If it's a ticket to be amended by mail (yes, we lawyers can do this here), I charge $50. It's a volume business.

Quick Reply: Speeding Tickets... How to help you.