Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What would you do?

About two weeks ago I bought an 07 TL Type-S with A-Spec kit in the Kinetic Blue Pearl with 91,000 miles for $12,500. I happen to be in the right place at the right time and the guy had to sell the car because he was going to be overseas for a long time and needed the car gone. CarFax showed everything was good and it was maintained pretty well. I believe it said it was worth about $1300 more than average. When I bought the car the A/C had just been fixed because it had gone out and also the dash was cracked and he bought a new dash pad and looks great now. The only problem with the car is that the tint looks pretty suckish and needs to be replaced but that is an easy fix. I have had the car thoroughly checked out by my mechanic and everything checked out and all it needs is brakes here in a couple months.

With all this being said, as my name states, I am an entrepreneur and wheel and deal a lot. My dad has suggested to me that since I got it at such a great price that I should try to sell it and possible get something a little nicer since I can. My question is would you keep the car or would you try to sell it and make a couple grand and buy something a little nicer? ( I am thinking about a G37 Coupe or a 4th Gen TL) Also, how much do you think I would be able to sell my car for? Any opinions and advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
we are not you.

the way you phrased your question; sounds like you want us to be in your shoes.
however, we cant.

we dont know your intentions, your goals, your aspirations.

Figure out what YOU want. what are your long term goals as far as vehicles?
if you wheel and deal so often, then why is this even a subject?

figure out your short term goals and your long term goals.
if you dont see yourself in this vehicle, move on.

There are so many cool vehicles that are in your price point.
figure out your needs and wants.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
Acura_Dude (07-26-2014), dezymond (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 07:27 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Do you like driving it? If so, why would you go to something different just because you can? You could drive this car for at least two years and then probably sell it for the same price you bought it for. That's what I would do.

When I was in the market for a car I test drove BMW's, Audi's, Infinitis, and lots of others. I bought my 3G because I liked it the best of everything I tried out.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you a used car salesman or were you actually looking for a new car? I don't see why you would want to sell it just because you got a good deal, you obviously don't need the money if you are just going to buy something more expensive. You will net the same result financially if you sell it now or sell it in 5 years, so the question you need to ask yourself is do you want to take the time to sell and buy another car and also prefer to drive a different(nicer) car. Which begs the question why not just get a nicer car in the first place.

Also, you will have to convince a new buyer that there is nothing wrong with it, If I was buying a car that someone bought 2 weeks ago I would highly suspect they were dumping the car for some reason
Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nokkieny
Are you a used car salesman or were you actually looking for a new car? I don't see why you would want to sell it just because you got a good deal, you obviously don't need the money if you are just going to buy something more expensive. You will net the same result financially if you sell it now or sell it in 5 years, so the question you need to ask yourself is do you want to take the time to sell and buy another car and also prefer to drive a different(nicer) car. Which begs the question why not just get a nicer car in the first place.

Also, you will have to convince a new buyer that there is nothing wrong with it, If I was buying a car that someone bought 2 weeks ago I would highly suspect they were dumping the car for some reason
I am not a used car salesman, I am a senior in high school. I didn't get a nicer car in the first place because I didn't have the money. $13,000 was really the most I was able to spend when purchasing this car. I don't mind taking the time to sell it and buy something new, I find it to be very fun but then again I have much more time on my hands to do this kind of stuff then most people on here. I have another car I can drive for how ever long I need to if I sell the car and have to look for another one.
I absolutely agree with you that it may be a little harder to sell the car with me only owning it for two weeks. I personally would not touch the car with a 10ft pole if I knew it was only own for two weeks, but not everyone is like you and I. Some people can be complete idiots when it comes to buying cars. (I found this out with the person who bought my BMW) So there is somebody out there who would buy my car. I personally think it would be somewhat easy to sell the car because you do not see many TL Type S around, so somebody who wants a Type S will not have many other options than mine!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I remember your story and I thought you'd be hanging onto this TL for awhile. You're young, we've all been there, and we probably changed our minds on a whim too at your age. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders so you'll figure it out.

That being said, we're not in your shoes. Honestly a 3G TL is a nice car, period. All of us on this board are/were lucky enough to drive and afford one at one point. It seems you're trying to make a statement with your car and only you know the "value" of that.

I recall some bits of your situation before picking up the TL so I ask you this; why didn't you just aim for a nicer car in the first place? Picking the right TL and then flipping it for a nicer vehicle all seems like extra effort to me. Sure you may profit a bit, but since you're an entrepreneur, you should know time is money too.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarcoNorthPolo
Do you like driving it? If so, why would you go to something different just because you can? You could drive this car for at least two years and then probably sell it for the same price you bought it for. That's what I would do.

When I was in the market for a car I test drove BMW's, Audi's, Infinitis, and lots of others. I bought my 3G because I liked it the best of everything I tried out.
I do really enjoy the car, but I also hate some things about the car.
The things I love include:
It's pretty rare around here (never seen another in my color in person)
I love the color
I love having NAV and Back Up Camera
It's way more reliable than my BMW was

Things I hate include:
The dash will probably crack at some point even though new dash pad was put on, and a cracked dash is something that will drive me crazy.
I hear a lot of people talking about their transmissions going out and worries me.
I don't like the car being front wheel drive.
It's nowhere near as smooth as my BMW!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 PM

you're asking us about a personal decision that only you can decide on.

if you ask me; your reasons you listed in post #7 are not valid.

there are other cars in your price range that are not BMW's that can deliver, but you have yet to list your requirements in a car...
What are your long term goals for a vehicle?
basically, forget your wants. what are your needs?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
it doesn't hurt to feel it the market

if you can make a profit but can get into a different car, go for it
Old 07-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
One of the reasons you want to sell is because you think that brand new dash pad will crack? No way. I have had six 3G TL's and not a single one shows any sign of the dash cracking. For the most part earlier 3G's that don't get garaged are the ones that suffer from that. The 07/08 Type S autos are solid trannies. Like justn said, those reasons listed are not valid.
I have bought and sold a LOT of cars and to be honest, if you really wanted to I would guess you can make 1-2k on the car, maaayyybe 3 if you fix the window tint and detail and clean the car to high levels and advertise correctly. That's all assuming you paid 12.5 out the door including taxes registration and any other fees or money you put into it. If the car isn't mint and needs a few things then all this will be much harder and more time consuming. Being able to do this also depends on your location. If you live away from a large metro area then I would say don't bother. If your around a big city selling things is much easier.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheEntrepreneur
I love the color

Things I hate include:
The dash will probably crack at some point even though new dash pad was put on, and a cracked dash is something that will drive me crazy.
I hear a lot of people talking about their transmissions going out and worries me.
If it's a brand new dash I doubt it will crack, especially if you take care of it. Buy a sunshade and it'll go a long way in protecting it.

Transmissions you hear alot because that type of news tends to get blown up. It's a small percentage, but a "loud" percentage.

Don't like the car being front wheel drive....you knew this and still opted to buy it. I don't really understand why you did buy one in the first place if it bothers you that much.

Comparing an Acura to BMW is pretty much an apples to oranges comparison imo.

Judging by your first positive, it's very apparent to me that you want your car to display some sort of status/presence. And for that, I think you bought the TL-S for the wrong reason. The negatives you listed have to do with everyday driving, which I assume you will be doing according to your previous pre-purchase thread. In the end it seems you have "settled" on a TL instead of "wanting" a TL. It seems obvious to me that you have your eyes on a more luxurious brand, but didn't have the money to play at the time.

So my advice to you. Flip it, and drive the other car until you got the money to spend and get a more luxurious ride.
justnspace (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Here's some good advice, sell the car and invest the money. You don't need two cars, nobody needs two cars, especially if you are trying to be an entrepreneur. Delay your wants and satisfaction until you can truly afford it.
When I was in high school I could have bought a TL, but I drove a 1989 mercedes. Now I could buy any car I want, but I drive a 2005 TL.
Okay, maybe I am a tightwad, but I like my own advice
Acura-OC (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
^I had two cars when I was in college delivering jimmy johns. No way was I going to use my TL, I mean I get being freaky fast, but absolutely not. I bought my saturn for that mess, and it was stick shift so I enjoyed driving it.

As for OP, the TL is still a better looking and performing car than most current line ups. I'd keep it
Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't mean to come off as harsh here but you can't really "afford" a nicer car. From your first thread about buying this car you indicated you were about to go to college and you had to borrow money from a family member to purchase this car to begin with. Selling this car for a profit and buying "more" car is just as silly as buying this car in the first place when you have much more important things going on in your life (i.e. getting an education, focusing on your future).

We all like cars, but there truly is a time and place for everything. The annual cost for the main State University here is around $20K a year for tuition and room/board. It could be less where you are or if you are going to a community college, but it still will add up quickly. Do you have a plan to pay for this? If your plan is to take out loans I would say 100% you should sell that TL-s and buy a beater.

College can be really fun as well as a great opportunity if you take advantage of it. Working a ton to pay for a car you don't really need will make it harder to get as much out of your college experience in my opinion ...
The following 2 users liked this post by joz00:
dezymond (07-26-2014), Max Attitude (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I think OP likes to come here and tell everyone how awesome he is. I've heard him talk about being an entrepreneur too many times now. I'm sorry, but you're the only one who can answer your own "dilemma". Why would you ask the general public about your personal issues? Don't like the car? Sell it. Like it? Keep it. What more do you want to know?

Here's a better idea- why would you buy the type S in the first place if you already have another car you like and why don't you take that money and invest it in your entrepreneurship and expand your business or start another?

End thread.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
I love the color

Things I hate include:
Hate to sound harsh, but the list in your "hate" section are invalid reasons to EVEN consider selling the Type S. You knew the car was FWD when you did your research/look-up on the vehicle. Not as smooth as your BMW? You have got to be kidding me with that one. If it wasn't smooth to you in the first place, then why purchase it when comparing it to your BMW? Did you not test drive the Type S before you purchased it? If you've done your research properly as you should have before purchasing the Type S, you would find that the 07-08 TL's and Type S's transmission are pretty solid. On top of the dash cracking, you would also find that there are factors to what might cause the dash to crack.

OP, I don't mean to be demeaning or anything, but you really need to sit down and really think your reasoning through along with your decision making. As others stated and recalled from your original thread about buying the car, Dezymond pointed out the obvious points in your list of "reasons for not liking the TL' along with the others. You're a senior in high school with a TL Type S, do you know many people around that age who can drive a car that nice? Most likely not. You have other priorities you need to worry about other than trying to bounce and "floss" around with different cars.

Last edited by DementiaPhuro; 07-27-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:25 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
if 13k was your original budget, you shouldnt be looking for 4th gen TL's or G37's. Most people just think about the cost of the car when buying a car, but there's maintenance, gas, and things that break once in awhile. I see too many people buying a car they cant afford just because the price of the car is just within the limits of their budget, and then when it comes to taking care of the car, they end up cheaping out on everything because they have no money left.

If you really like the TL-S, keep it, but if not, sell it for some profit and save the money for college. Having a nice car feels good in college but you'll enjoy college a lot more if you have money for events and things to do.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Instructor

you can get loans for college, common guys, this is america!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
If I were the OP I would keep the car for a year. It's always good to have a reasonable reason to sell a car and the 'the car is not nice to me' probably won't go very far.

In a year's time you can state your life changed and you need a pickup or ?? instead. The dash is certainly not going to crack in that time- I have had my car for 8 years and the dash is fine.

Based on your username, I'm not sure why you would buy a car in the first place. You should invest the money and watch it grow instead- especially since another car is already available. That's what I did and paid cash for my first car: Krugerrands purchased in 1979 did very well in 1980.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nokkieny
Here's some good advice, sell the car and invest the money. You don't need two cars, nobody needs two cars, especially if you are trying to be an entrepreneur. Delay your wants and satisfaction until you can truly afford it.
When I was in high school I could have bought a TL, but I drove a 1989 mercedes. Now I could buy any car I want, but I drive a 2005 TL.
Okay, maybe I am a tightwad, but I like my own advice
I don't actually have two cars, my family just has a back up car that we can use if needed and I would be able to use that.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I think OP likes to come here and tell everyone how awesome he is. I've heard him talk about being an entrepreneur too many times now. I'm sorry, but you're the only one who can answer your own "dilemma". Why would you ask the general public about your personal issues? Don't like the car? Sell it. Like it? Keep it. What more do you want to know?

Here's a better idea- why would you buy the type S in the first place if you already have another car you like and why don't you take that money and invest it in your entrepreneurship and expand your business or start another?

End thread.
This kind of pisses me off. Come here and tell how awesome I am, really? Is it not okay that I am an entrepreneur and really enjoy and love what I am doing? I promise, if I was to come here and tell how awesome I am I wouldn't be talking about my car or my business. Yes, it is my own personal dilemma, but it is it not okay to ask for opinions on my dilemmma?

I don't have another car, I just have a car that I can use if I need it. I have invested a ton of money in my business and worked very hard at it. Why is the reason people work so hard at their jobs? It's to have a little fun with the money they make and that's exactly what I plan to do.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:27 AM

^butt, you still dont know your long term goals for a vehicle....

c'mon man, you havent given us ANY thing to work on here....

the cool thing about the internet is that we can all be open and honest with our words.
we're being VERY honest and open with you.

we need the same from you.

what are your long term goals for the future?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
^butt, you still dont know your long term goals for a vehicle....
My goal for my car is to get me through college and be realiable. I understanding no matter how you baby a car, things will break and it's an Acura so it's not the cheapest thing ever. I am doing the 105 service at a 100k just to be safe, so that will already be done and I won't really have to worry about that in college (assuming I keep the car) I know I will still need brakes, which I am gonna get here in a couple months, tires, oil changes, filters, transmission fluid, and probably some other things. So, my ultimate long term goal is to get me through college, but also be a car that I can have fun with and be in love with til the day I sell it.
justnspace (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced

My goal for my car is to get me through college and be realiable. I understanding no matter how you baby a car, things will break and it's an Acura so it's not the cheapest thing ever. I am doing the 105 service at a 100k just to be safe, so that will already be done and I won't really have to worry about that in college (assuming I keep the car) I know I will still need brakes, which I am gonna get here in a couple months, tires, oil changes, filters, transmission fluid, and probably some other things. So, my ultimate long term goal is to get me through college, but also be a car that I can have fun with and be in love with til the day I sell it.
Seems like you figured out your reasons for wanting a car. Now ask yourself the million dollar question, does the TL Type S meet your standards as fun and a car that you THINK will be able to get you through college?

Most of us know the answer to this question. Now it's time for you to decide.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
It being an Acura does not mean it's not the cheapest thing ever. The car is more or less an Accord. Oil changes, brakes, 105k service...as long as you do your research none of that stuff costs more than if you owned a Honda. The 07/08 TL are very reliable I would say the Type S would be more than an excellent car for someone in college.
If you do all the things you mentioned there will be no room for profit, but I assume all those items are things you will do if you decide to keep it.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

So you want this or your next car to be the car for the next 4-6yrs.

Now I have to ask again, did you really want this car or did you just settle because it was in your price range? I'm not getting the impression that you truly wanted this car because of your "hate" list. Main two points: front wheel drive and it's not as smooth as your previous BMW.

These are two things you'll have to live with every time you drive your car, and from what I recall, you rack up alot of miles a year. Can you get over these two facts?

You can do all the maintenance to keep it running smooth and keep the paint as clean as possible, but you simply cannot change those two facts listed in your "hate" list. I'm sure you'll get over the latter eventually as comparing an Acura to a BMW isn't fair, imo, but the fact that every time you drive you deal with heavier steering, can you deal with that? Is it something you can love every time you drive your car?

Me personally (in case you're wondering), yes I do love the heavier steering. I like feeling the road through the steering wheel as compared to other luxury brand of vehicles I've driven where it can be almost a "numb" feeling.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Any good background story I've heard from a public speaker claiming to be an entrepreneur they said drive a corolla until you make your first million.
Keep the car. If you're an entrepreneur, according to other entrepreneurs, you'd sell the Acura for a Honda or Toyota and invest that money toward your next endeavor.
Any money put into personal satisfaction makes you less of an entrepreneur and more like us "most other people."
DementiaPhuro (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
It being an Acura does not mean it's not the cheapest thing ever. The car is more or less an Accord. Oil changes, brakes, 105k service...as long as you do your research none of that stuff costs more than if you owned a Honda. The 07/08 TL are very reliable I would say the Type S would be more than an excellent car for someone in college.
If you do all the things you mentioned there will be no room for profit, but I assume all those items are things you will do if you decide to keep it.
I know that it will not be the cheapest thing ever, but it will definitely be a lot cheaper than some cars. Like I have said before, I did have an '04 TL before and didn't have to spend too much on maintenance and I got the car when it had 160,000 miles I think all I ever did was right front control arm, right front axle, brakes, tires, and oil change every 3k miles. I had the car for a year and a half and sold it with 201k. Now that I have a newer car and with a lot less miles, I think after I do the major 105k service I should be good to go on the major expense cost for a while.
If I decide to keep the car, profit will go out the window. That's just how it goes. You never really buy a car and keep it for an extended period of time and pay to keep up with it and make a profit.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^ This is sounding a little like 'Car Chasers'. Most of us buy a car to use- the longer you use the car the less it costs you- that's where you profit in not paying sales tax or registration fees mutliple times in a fixed period.

It also helps to have a reliable car and one with reduced insurance expense which the TL is. For the most part, a car is not an investment and will be an expense for most people.

I'm finding it impressive that a high school kid can put 41k miles on the previous Acura in a couple of years of driving at most. How do you do that ?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
This kind of pisses me off. Come here and tell how awesome I am, really? Is it not okay that I am an entrepreneur and really enjoy and love what I am doing? I promise, if I was to come here and tell how awesome I am I wouldn't be talking about my car or my business. Yes, it is my own personal dilemma, but it is it not okay to ask for opinions on my dilemmma?

I don't have another car, I just have a car that I can use if I need it. I have invested a ton of money in my business and worked very hard at it. Why is the reason people work so hard at their jobs? It's to have a little fun with the money they make and that's exactly what I plan to do.
You make the term "entrepreneur" sound like it's something crazy. It's not. Anyone with their own business is an entrepreneur. I'm on entrepreneur also, but until today I have never mentioned it, and the only way I would on a car forum is if I was looking to advertise, which I'm not.

You keep saying it yet no one has any clue what you, what you sell, or even remotely what you're worth, yet you ask us if you should keep a car you paid X dollars for, which none of us have seen beyond what you describe. Your "good condition" can mean "flawless" or "garbage" to two different people.

From the sounds of it, you have much less then 15k disposable income, which makes me think you lucked out and did something to make a few bucks and that's it. I further think that because you won't say why you're an entrepreneur or what your business even is, you're afraid that either a) people will steal your idea (highly doubt it), or b) it's made up, or c) just plain foolish.

Of the many "entrepreneurs" I've met in my years, or should I say business owners (who even says entrepreneur anymore?), 100% of them would reinvest every spare dollar they have, beyond what they need to live, back in their business to make it grow.

I hate to break it to you, but your 12k, or whatever you said you had, isn't all that much when it comes to a successful, sustainable business. I also think you're going to college because you know this as well. If your business was as good as you keep talking about (no one calls themselves an entrepreneur unless they're making solid, steady money), you wouldn't be going to college.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TacoBello
You make the term "entrepreneur" sound like it's something crazy. It's not. Anyone with their own business is an entrepreneur. I'm on entrepreneur also, but until today I have never mentioned it, and the only way I would on a car forum is if I was looking to advertise, which I'm not.

You keep saying it yet no one has any clue what you, what you sell, or even remotely what you're worth, yet you ask us if you should keep a car you paid X dollars for, which none of us have seen beyond what you describe. Your "good condition" can mean "flawless" or "garbage" to two different people.

From the sounds of it, you have much less then 15k disposable income, which makes me think you lucked out and did something to make a few bucks and that's it. I further think that because you won't say why you're an entrepreneur or what your business even is, you're afraid that either a) people will steal your idea (highly doubt it), or b) it's made up, or c) just plain foolish.

Of the many "entrepreneurs" I've met in my years, or should I say business owners (who even says entrepreneur anymore?), 100% of them would reinvest every spare dollar they have, beyond what they need to live, back in their business to make it grow.

I hate to break it to you, but your 12k, or whatever you said you had, isn't all that much when it comes to a successful, sustainable business. I also think you're going to college because you know this as well. If your business was as good as you keep talking about (no one calls themselves an entrepreneur unless they're making solid, steady money), you wouldn't be going to college.
If I told what I sold and what I did, wouldn't that be some what advertising? How can you judge my income? I will say that I do make $30-$40k a year and I find the pretty good to not have a real job. I'm going to college because my parents have already paid for It. And also because my dad is making me go so that I can have his business one day. His deal was I finish college and I get the business. (He owns 700 rental properties)
Old 07-27-2014, 04:03 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
OK, I'm 50 years old and here's my advice (so age and experience talking):
-you currently own the TL- it's yours to drive- keep it and use it, but realize that if you really have no working capital, you might be better off selling it, get a cheaper, smaller car (Civic, Elantra or the like) and plan on driving it til the wheels fall off (and plan on getting several hundred thousand miles out of one assuming you maintain it properly which should be pretty inexpensive) vs getting a more expensive car that might be reliable (or maybe not) but either way will be more expensive to maintain/ insure/ gas up.
-invest your money (even if it's a small amount) right now while you're young and keep making investments based on what you have (can be a high quality stock or stocks or mutual fund) and keep adding to it- the earlier you start, the better off you will be in the future (this over time will make you a millionaire). Trust me on this one...time is your best ally. I regret not investing any money until I was in my early 30's.
-Don't worry about what car you're driving now...you have a long life ahead of you and the 'hassle' of owning an expensive car shouldn't be a priority at your age. I always drove small economy cars well into my 30's- the 2 TL's I've owned (00 and 06 model years) were as luxury as I want. I just hit 100K on my TL the other day and am looking forward to the next 100K miles in it.
-As an older person to a younger one- making the right financial decisions now will pay huge dividends in the future. Also, stay out of debt as much as you possibly can- no reason to be a slave to the banks.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors (and I really mean that).
EvilVirus (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, this is getting personal. It's not supposed to.

The OP came here to ask about selling or keeping the car. Give him your input on that.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Old 07-27-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys, this is getting personal. It's not supposed to.

The OP came here to ask about selling or keeping the car. Give him your input on that.
so, your C7 isnt a personal decision?

why yes it is.
budget is personal.
asking about car advice is pretty personal as it deals with budget.
if some one cant afford it, i'd say it's pretty personal.

Sell your C7 if it's not personal, Steven.

All we're doing is giving personal advice.
which means, he needs to be personal and upfront with us.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced

OP, you brought this upon yourself. Your wordings, the way you introduced yourself to the community, plus your previous posts. You came here looking for advice on a 3G TL forum. There's a lot of advice these guys are giving you. You seem to be trying to find another excuse or reason to counter all the tips everyone has given you. There's already a few kind older gentlemen here who gave you their 2 cents on what would be the smartest idea for you especially since you're so young. They've been through it and done it. They got "real" life experience. You came here seeking help with your dilemma, but you are in no position in wanting to accept the help/tips because you keep trying to counter against it.

I don't mean to be blunt, but it's in plain view for everyone to see. You need to lay everything down on the table once and for all and consider everything that has been said to you so far. They're all great advice. We don't know you personally, we're only going off based on the information you provided us. Quit using the "entrepreneur" phrase most of all. It's good that you're proud of what you do and your business, but we don't need you to keep emphasizing on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by DementiaPhuro:
justnspace (07-28-2014), LaCostaRacer (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
If I told what I sold and what I did, wouldn't that be some what advertising? How can you judge my income? I will say that I do make $30-$40k a year and I find the pretty good to not have a real job. I'm going to college because my parents have already paid for It. And also because my dad is making me go so that I can have his business one day. His deal was I finish college and I get the business. (He owns 700 rental properties)
If you are living at home and making $30-$40K a year with your parents paying for your entire college education you wouldn't have needed to borrow money from a family member to buy a $13K car ... just saying the numbers don't add up.

Sell the car and buy a beater ... seriously.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
op, give me the car.... I need a tls to replace my cls...
Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
based on the information you have given, I say keep the TL-S through college. It's a nice car that you can have fun with while not requiring a lot to maintain it. Brakes, oil changes, fluids are all easy to do on this car.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
If you can make a profit and buy something you consider to be nicer, I say sell it. The reason being is it sounds like even though it's a nice car at a great price you are not that into it. Maybe it's because you have already owned a 3G TL and you are already over it even though the S is an upgrade. Go with what makes you happy. IMO, a different car will bring you more joy than this one will.