New brake rotors for '05 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New brake rotors for '05 TL

I've got stock brake rotors, pads.
My chassis has 210k+ With a 15k Engine, so i'm thinking of installing some new breaks.

I've noticed these, seems like a very good price for all 4+ pads.
Any thoughts?
I plan to change a lot of things, but starting with this.
Currently running 20" wheels.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...939&cc=1430829
Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Yezhik
I've got stock brake rotors, pads.
My chassis has 210k+ With a 15k Engine, so i'm thinking of installing some new breaks.

I've noticed these, seems like a very good price for all 4+ pads.
Any thoughts?
I plan to change a lot of things, but starting with this.
Currently running 20" wheels.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...939&cc=1430829
Power Stop is a poor imitation of Stoptech's products. Take a look at our Acurazine brake packages. The rotors are better, have a nice machined finished, black e-coating on the hub and vanes and the pads are made with a para-arimid compound which helps them be one of the best street pads on the market.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...i-1890179.aspx
Old 07-18-2014, 05:22 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
Power Stop is a poor imitation of Stoptech's products. Take a look at our Acurazine brake packages. The rotors are better, have a nice machined finished, black e-coating on the hub and vanes and the pads are made with a para-arimid compound which helps them be one of the best street pads on the market.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...i-1890179.aspx
Agreed. but Stoptech's for me dust way more than stock and wear quicker...but for the price I can go through 2 sets of pads before hitting the cost of brembo pads...
Old 07-19-2014, 10:17 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
The best combo for the money is easily Centric "High Carbon" rotors (same blank rotor as the Stoptech but without slots) and either Centric "Posi-Quiet Extended Wear" pads or Centric "Stoptech Pads". The Posi-Quiet EW pads will last longer, run quieter and are much easier on your rotors. The Stoptech pads have better bite and higher temp range, but way more dust & noise.

PartsBossOnline.com is a Centric verified re-seller and they easily have the best prices that I've found lately. It used to be AmazingSavingsAutoParts.com but their shipping went way up in recent months.

Centric has a bunch of different compounds at different price points. You can even get the OEM brembo compound for less $$ than Acura (the 100 series pads):

Last edited by 94eg!; 07-19-2014 at 10:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 94eg!:
justnspace (07-23-2014), Slpr04UA6 (07-19-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hate on stoptech all you want. I had a all around package on my 05 Legacy GT with plenty of track time on them last year and had no problems with them at all. I bought them just to try out shitty rotor packages for people who wanted to know about them. They came with Evolution ceramic pads too. Great stopping power. Only lost a little pedal feel when breaking super heaving into a corner. This wasnt due to them though it had to do with the shitty brake booster those cars had. After all said and done I had about 40k on that setup still had a good amount of pad left and I would say 10k of that was heavy track braking.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:21 AM
WDP Group!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
love my stop tech brakes on my tl-s
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Great info 94eg!..

some more good stuff here as I am looking to do new rotors as well.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/aftermarket-rotors-914015/
Old 07-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Rafe
Agreed. but Stoptech's for me dust way more than stock and wear quicker...but for the price I can go through 2 sets of pads before hitting the cost of brembo pads...

The Stoptech Street pads will create a bit more dust than a ceramic pad or a metallic pad but when you look at other pads on the market that have similar performance capabilities as the Stoptech Street pad, they produce a lot more dust and noise than the Street pad does. Stoptech does also a few different compounds and if you're looking for a clean/quiet pad, their Posi-Quiet Ceramic pad is a great option.

As far as wear is concerned, I found that the Street pads only seem to wear quicker because drivers will tend to brake harder and drive a bit more aggressive with the Street pads. I had Street pads on my Accord and I saw roughly the same life as OEM. Replicating brake pad longevity from one set of pads to another is hard due to how much variation there is in braking. Sometimes we brake harder, sometimes we don't.

Either way Stoptech is a great option and quite frankly the only option in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by AkumaMax
Hate on stoptech all you want. I had a all around package on my 05 Legacy GT with plenty of track time on them last year and had no problems with them at all. I bought them just to try out shitty rotor packages for people who wanted to know about them. They came with Evolution ceramic pads too. Great stopping power. Only lost a little pedal feel when breaking super heaving into a corner. This wasnt due to them though it had to do with the shitty brake booster those cars had. After all said and done I had about 40k on that setup still had a good amount of pad left and I would say 10k of that was heavy track braking.
did you even read the thread bro?

I dont think any one even hated on stoptech.
The following users liked this post:
JoshD_99EM1 (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
People so ready to jump down other throats online lol.
They see one word and flip out..
speaking of.

I dislike justnspace because his name starts with a J and so does mine. Plus has a TL and I do too and he said his is more Acura than mine is

OP. Read thru the comments. Stoptech is a great company. I personally wouldnt run the ones in the link you listed for reasons posted in a previous thread. There are other manafactures I would rock first. EBC, and the sponsored Adams Rotors. I know the guys over at XLR8 wont steer you wrong on the stop tech either.
The following users liked this post:
adamsrotors (07-24-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I know I can come off confrontational sometimes
Old 07-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshD_99EM1
There are other manafactures I would rock first. EBC, and the sponsored Adams Rotors. I know the guys over at XLR8 wont steer you wrong on the stop tech either.
thanks for the good word.

---

let us know what you need! have a look: www.adamsrotors.com

we're a fully made to order company and have over 13 pattern options, 3 zinc finishes, and 5 hub coatings...
we're all about customization, quality, and one-on-one service; a small self-owned & operated company in California.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:00 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by adamsrotors
thanks for the good word.

---

let us know what you need! have a look: www.adamsrotors.com

we're a fully made to order company and have over 13 pattern options, 3 zinc finishes, and 5 hub coatings...
we're all about customization, quality, and one-on-one service; a small self-owned & operated company in California.
Your site makes no sense. Every single rotor is the same price, from a tiny 88 civic front rotor to a HUGE 2012 MDX front rotor. Obviously something is screwy.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 94eg!
Your site makes no sense. Every single rotor is the same price, from a tiny 88 civic front rotor to a HUGE 2012 MDX front rotor. Obviously something is screwy.
Not sure what you did to achieve that outcome, but I just looked at 5 different cars and got 5 different prices...
Old 07-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

no...YOU, are obviously are the screwy one, as that's clearly not the case.

Originally Posted by WolfgangVonBrutal
Not sure what you did to achieve that outcome, but I just looked at 5 different cars and got 5 different prices...
thanks for taking a quick second to confirm that...
regardless, we pride ourselves in super competitive, value packed, all in-inclusive pricing...custom machined to order as you like it, silver zinc dipped, shipped within the US free, full set numbers.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace

Sorry I have no idea why I said stoptech; I meant powerstop!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace

Sorry I have no idea why I said stoptech; I meant powerstop!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Originally Posted by adamsrotors
no...YOU, are obviously are the screwy one, as that's clearly not the case.
LOL! I said CRX because they use the same rear rotors as the 97 Integra I checked (for the ones with rear discs). Unfortunately your screwy website doesn't even know that and you show nothing available for this vehicle even though you DO offer parts that fit it.

So then please explain how the rotors for 90-01 8lb Integra rear rotor cost the same as a 15.5lb 2011 MDX rear rotor (with 3 machined friciton surfaces)?

http://centriccatalog.com/Inquiry/vi...4401&ic=3&i=1&

http://centriccatalog.com/Inquiry/vi...3072&ic=4&i=1&

Last edited by 94eg!; 07-28-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

we built the webstore (along with entire site) from the ground up...including pricing inputs for each application.
...we offer rotors for ALL cars & trucks with factory disc brakes. I'm sure you can imagine how difficult it is, to have EVERY car covered; the store is constantly growing & being updated.

it doesn't at all show we have nothing available, rather a page that allows you to submit a simple quotation request so we can not only reply with a price, but also update the store for you...as it clearly states:
Name:  ScreenShot2013-10-30at112644AM_zpsaafa73ba.png
Views: 14
Size:  61.2 KB

so, let's move on...if you are interested in a quote, please submit. otherwise, good luck to you!
thanks,
-a
Old 08-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

I upgraded rotors and pads a few years ago for my '05 TL (base/nav/AT). Daily driver, no racing. Went with Racingbrake slotted rotors and pads. Went with ET500 up front and ET300 rear. Overall I've been satisfied. Good initial bite, low dust, very quiet. Reasonably priced. Rotors are still in tip-top shape. Bought ready to replace pads. I had HORRIBLE issues with the stock rotors warping, and while stock pads are actually pretty good, dust is an issue and price is laughable. Marcus at Heeltoe automotive set me up.

My two cents: Go with what traits are most important to you because their are trade-offs. More aggressive compounds will wear parts faster, and have potential for being loud. Like others have said, ANY pad will stop your car, and tires are equally (if not more) important in shorter stop-distances. My setup was chosen because I wanted some aesthetic improvement, low dust and noise, and a slight bump in stopping power/distance.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
The best combo for the money is easily Centric "High Carbon" rotors (same blank rotor as the Stoptech but without slots) and either Centric "Posi-Quiet Extended Wear" pads or Centric "Stoptech Pads". The Posi-Quiet EW pads will last longer, run quieter and are much easier on your rotors. The Stoptech pads have better bite and higher temp range, but way more dust & noise.

PartsBossOnline.com is a Centric verified re-seller and they easily have the best prices that I've found lately. It used to be AmazingSavingsAutoParts.com but their shipping went way up in recent months.

Centric has a bunch of different compounds at different price points. You can even get the OEM brembo compound for less $$ than Acura (the 100 series pads):

I'll definitely agree to going with the Centric High Carbon rotors, but the Centric Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic pads? NEVER! Garbage in my opinion! They made so much noise when they were first installed and even though they quieted down somewhat after a while, at about 50% pad life left, they began blackening my wheels WORSE than the OEM pads did, if you can believe that. And despite my calls to the Centric's customer service department, they essentially told me to go fuck myself when I very casually told them my issues with their pads.

I now have the Centric rotors with the Wagner Thermo-Quiet Semi-Metallic pads, only $25 + shipping from rockauto. Best combination for the $$$ I've found in my 10 years of driving this car.