Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OEM Rotors

2006 Acura TL AT. Daily driver. Only owner. 36,700 mileage. I drive like an "old" lady these days. Why did I get the TL...it was a good idea at the time. I still feel that the third generation is sexy and sleek. Oh, black.

Long Long story short. I've read through tons of posts on brakes and rotors. I've read recommendations for Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors Premium 120.40046, Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads ACT787, StopTech Street Performance Pads 309.07870 and OEM pads. Some, including Ron seem to prefer OEM brakes. I see where the suggestion is to try AcuraOEMparts.com or ebay.

Is price the reason for shying away from OEM (pads, rotors).? It seems where some feel the performance of the OEM isn't great, others posts the opposite. I still haven't seen a definite answer if the OEM pads are semi-metallic as oppose to ceramic. I've read a lot about the trade offs of the two (brake dust, noise etc).

One thing I've notice is the lack of comments (pro or con) about buying the OEM rotors vs. third party. I've compared the prices and know that they are expensive, even on ebay. Are the OEM rotors that bad, or are drivers not willing to pay the price (over inflated) for them. If pricing for OEM parts were competitive, would drivers buy more of them?

I know this is a general question with some obvious answers, but how can we tell the manufacturer of the OEM parts (brakes and rotors). How does one know if some of the third party vendors may actually be the supplier (rebranded Honda, Acura) of the same brakes and rotors. I know, this is the last thing a dealer would want a customer to know. So I guess they treat it the nuclear codes.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
I replaced my OEM rear pads with Akebono ceramics. The dust and brake squeal are noticeably reduced. Before they used to squeal a ton.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I think you might be mixing some opinions/options about MT with opinions/options about AT brakes.

The MT (and all 3G TL-S) have Brembo 4-pot calipers on the front and the OE pads run about $220 a set from the dealer. So yes, fot those price (vs performance vs dust, etc) is a real consideration. For instance, you can find them on Ebay (from Acura dealers) for ~$165. I don't know about you, but for me fifty-bucks is fifty-bucks.

The AT pads, not as much; not as extreme.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

Bearcat, valid point on MT vs. AT. When I did my search, I realized that the threads that came up contain comments on MT and AT. So I was careful with what I was reading.

Not sure if I fully understand your comment about pricing. But here goes. Are you saying that for the TL-S which has brembo, it is worth while for the drivers here to try alternate manufacturers because the pricing (even on ebay) is way too expensive when it comes to the OEM?
With AT, are you saying that the OEM are reasonably priced even on ebay. So it may be worth while to get the OEM?

But what I find interesting, getting back to my original question, if OEM (brembo and non brembo) were priced at the same as the third party, would people but them. If the answer is yes, are we acknowledging that the OEMs are really that good? In other words, why buy third party brakes and pads if the OEM were selling at the same price as all third party.
I'm really asking, how good are the OEM rotors and pads that came with the Acura TL, pricing aside.
If someone offered you for free a choice on a table, Centric premium rotors; Acura OEM rotors, Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads ACT787; Acura OEM brake pads, which two items would you take? Your decision would hint at what you think of the quality of what you select. At least that is what I would think.

Who manufactures Acura OEM front rotors and brake pads? The reason I ask this is if I feel that a LiteOn DVD drive is a great drive, but the price is to high and I find out that an Asus DVD drive with exact configuration is actually a re-badged Lite-On DVD drive, but selling for less, then I would buy the Asus.

I would think that whom ever supply Acura may be selling the exact product under their own brand name. If that manufacturer can be identified, why not buy the product from them, if we chose to.

I also understand that a car manufacturer may put cheap and less effective products on their cars and sell it accordingly. But I would hate to imagine that Honda would do this with their high end models. Lord knows that Toyota just recently paid a heavy price for a faulty issue.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by thx1138
Bearcat, valid point on MT vs. AT. When I did my search, I realized that the threads that came up contain comments on MT and AT. So I was careful with what I was reading.

Not sure if I fully understand your comment about pricing. But here goes. Are you saying that for the TL-S which has brembo, it is worth while for the drivers here to try alternate manufacturers because the pricing (even on ebay) is way too expensive when it comes to the OEM?
With AT, are you saying that the OEM are reasonably priced even on ebay. So it may be worth while to get the OEM?

But what I find interesting, getting back to my original question, if OEM (brembo and non brembo) were priced at the same as the third party, would people but them. If the answer is yes, are we acknowledging that the OEMs are really that good? In other words, why buy third party brakes and pads if the OEM were selling at the same price as all third party.
I'm really asking, how good are the OEM rotors and pads that came with the Acura TL, pricing aside .....
Well, I really can't speak to the Base 5AT. I'm sure they are 'good' brakes (pads and rotors). And the key to better stopping if you have 'good' brakes is tires. Without sticky(er) tires, you won't get the most out of even 'great' brakes.

As far as the TL-S and/or MT, the brakes are very good. But very dusty and very expensive. Most people can find pads that they feel perform as good (maybe better) with less dust for a lower price. OR, perhaps trade a bit of 'bite'/performance for a much lower cost (and less dust).

I think this is generally true for both MT and AT. You can find pads and/or rotors that are similar in quality and performance to OE for at a lower price than OE. Like the C-Max Gold, for instance.

I have, however, bought the OE pads before. But there's no way I'm paying dealer rates when I can find them for $40 or $50 cheaper on Ebay.

In this regard what I was trying to say about the 5AT OE pads is that their dealer cost isn't as exorbitant as the Brembo OE pads ($217 vs $60). They are more in line with quality after market parts. As a matter of fact, it looks like some 'street performance' pads (like Racing Brake or Hawk) are a good bit more expensive than OE for the 5AT, which is the opposite of OE cars with Brembo pads.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

Thanks Bearcat. This is what I came up with.

AcuraOEMparts.com

45022-SEP-A01 PAD SET, FR. (x1) $45.55
45251-TA6-A00 DISK, FR. BRAKE (x2) $83.57 x 2= $167.14

I see shim is list separately, do I need to order them?
06455-SEP-A00 SHIM SET, FR. (x1) $12.29

Excluding the shim:
$212.00 + $14.89(S) + $3.95 (H) = $231.53 Total

Ebay:
2004-2008 ACURA TL FRONT BRAKE PADS 45022-SEP-A01 OEM = $51.00 shipped.
1999-2008 ACURA TL FRONT BRAKE ROTOR SET OEM BRAND NEW $175.00 + $13.12 (S/H) = 188.12

Total = $239.12

Alternately, if I opted for third party:

Tirerack.com:
Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads Front fitment (x1) = $51.00
Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors Front fitment (x2) = $100.00
Shipping = $20.48

Total = $171.48

rockauto.com:
AKEBONO Part # ACT787 ProACT Ultra Premium Ceramic Pad (x1) = 45.79
Akebono is the Original Equipment Manfacturer; OE Pad Material is Ceramic; Front; Automatic trans.
CENTRIC Part # 12040046 Premium Rotor-Preferred Std Front Caliper; Front (x2) $93.58
Shipping = $17.39

Total = 156.76

Ebay:
Akebono ACT787 Front Ceramic Pads = $47.68 shipped

Looks like if I chose OEM, AcuraOEMparts.com is the cheapest. Thirrd party, rockauto.com is the cheapest.

The difference between OEM and third party is about $75.00. Is that additional $75.00 worth going OEM?

Any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Long Long story short. I've read through tons of posts on brakes and rotors. I've read recommendations for Centric Plain 120 Series Rotors Premium 120.40046, Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads ACT787, StopTech Street Performance Pads 309.07870 and OEM pads. Some, including Ron seem to prefer OEM brakes. I see where the suggestion is to try AcuraOEMparts.com or ebay.

I prefer after market on all 5 cars i own its saved me thousands over many years and i have not seen any lose of performance especially if you drive like grandma

Is price the reason for shying away from OEM (pads, rotors).? It seems where some feel the performance of the OEM isn't great, others posts the opposite. I still haven't seen a definite answer if the OEM pads are semi-metallic as oppose to ceramic. I've read a lot about the trade offs of the two (brake dust, noise etc).

Im not sure what material oem's are. I like trying to get matching stuff. i wont put ceramic pads on 20 dollar rotor since it eats through and heats rotor up ect ect... any good vendor can recommend what you need and save you money

One thing I've notice is the lack of comments (pro or con) about buying the OEM rotors vs. third party. I've compared the prices and know that they are expensive, even on ebay. Are the OEM rotors that bad, or are drivers not willing to pay the price (over inflated) for them. If pricing for OEM parts were competitive, would drivers buy more of them?

i probably would but I have found they never are. My dodge oem pads are made by some company that makes the same pads sold at local auto store for half the price of oem I cant rem name brand name of pad right this moment

I know this is a general question with some obvious answers, but how can we tell the manufacturer of the OEM parts (brakes and rotors). How does one know if some of the third party vendors may actually be the supplier (rebranded Honda, Acura) of the same brakes and rotors. I know, this is the last thing a dealer would want a customer to know. So I guess they treat it the nuclear codes.

Google .. you just have to start searching for the part numbers and look for similar numbers and information untill you figure it out
Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have been looking and i "THINK" im going with this vendor Brakemotive. I found them reading through post here.I would do some searching here and pick a vendor that has good reviews and contact them. They will be glad to help you get every thing you need.
http://www.powerstop.com
Old 05-20-2012, 01:38 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by thx1138
Thanks Bearcat. This is what I came up with.

AcuraOEMparts.com

45022-SEP-A01 PAD SET, FR. (x1) $45.55
45251-TA6-A00 DISK, FR. BRAKE (x2) $83.57 x 2= $167.14

I see shim is list separately, do I need to order them?
06455-SEP-A00 SHIM SET, FR. (x1) $12.29

45022-SEP-A01 includes shims. See the parts drawing - the 'box' for Item #9 encompasses pads and shims.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal

Other than that, I can't speak to any of the specific parts you've listed. But I am curious why you need rotors at 37k miles?

On our '02 (which is pretty much the same front brakes as yours) they lasted 68k miles.
The following users liked this post:
thx1138 (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
45022-SEP-A01 includes shims. See the parts drawing - the 'box' for Item #9 encompasses pads and shims.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=TL&catcgry2=2 006&catcgry3=4DR+BASE+(NAVIGATION)&catcgry4=KA5AT& catcgry5=FRONT+BRAKE+(1)&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&sy stemcomp=&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Other than that, I can't speak to any of the specific parts you've listed. But I am curious why you need rotors at 37k miles?

On our '02 (which is pretty much the same front brakes as yours) they lasted 68k miles.
First, thanks Bearcat and cinobyte.
Bearcat, I was just waiting for someone to ask me that question about the mileage and rotors. That's why I started out with a long long story. I may have to start another thread as a thank you to this forum and a heads up to other here.
As you can tell from my sig, I'm Brooklyn. As of two weeks ago the service representative at my local Acura dealership was fired as well as the service tech that serviced my car in Feb. Prior to that, three years ago, the service representative that dealt with me was also fired. Others here have posted about Acura of Brooklyn. With me, since i purchased the car in 2006, I've had to contact Acura client relations twice. Last time I faxed in proof of what they were doing.
Difference here, other customers may have realized what they were doing, but just accepted it.
After corporate submitted documentation back to the dealership, the two individuals were released. The new manager verbally acknowledged the illegal activity that was going on there.
Again, it's a long story. others here have posted similar stories. I believe in documentation and contacting the proper authorities for action to be taken, rather than have verbal confrontation.
Anyway, back to the rotors. Now that the car is back with me, visual inspection shows that the passenger side rotor is scored. Again can't go into the reasons yet. But I just wanted to get some idea of pricing and quality for the moment.
Dealing with corporate and the dealership took a lot of time and energy. lets just say that there are two new front tires Mich MXM$ on the car (corporate paid 20%). Motor mounts were changed (powertrain warranty). Compliance bushing changed (corporate picked up the tab). NYS inspection done...but not done. Almost had NYC police in tow with me back to the dealership because of that. All documentation sent to Corporate showing timeline and payment. End result, two people fired. Not over yet.
BTW, back in 07, DMZ posted a racking showing Acura of Brooklyn as the worst.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/acura-brooklyn-service-%3D-crooks-625043/
Thanks for the feedback on brakes and rotors.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 05-20-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: replaced cl.acura domain link
The following 2 users liked this post by thx1138:
Bearcat94 (05-20-2012), Lioneltl (03-12-2020)
Old 05-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
OEM 5at brake pads ARE Akebono ceramics.

They're great for normal driving. I upgraded to a BBK somewhere around 90k and my front brakes had 70% of the pads left. Low dust as well.

I upgraded because the stock rotors warped and the stock pads would leave pad deposits on the rotors anytime I drove it hard. Instead of upgrading just pads in the 1 piston calipers and "better" rotors of the same 11.8" size, I decided on a much better solution, 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers for the type of driving I was doing at the time. The stock system is fine for normal driving but you can expose it's shortcomings quickly under hard driving.

I don't know what kind of improvements you're looking for. If it's fade resistance, a good pad and good brake fluid will be a huge upgrade over stock. Stoptech street pads and Motul RBF600 are great upgrades. If you want slightly better pedal feel (a firmer pedal), isntall some stainless brake lines. You'll be able to have a little fun without pad deposits or brake fade ruining your day. If you're looking for shorter stopping distances, brakes will not help, you need better tires.

If you haven't run into fade or deposit issues, you're just as well leaving everything stock if cost is comparable.

If I were happy with the OEM brakes and wanted something comparable in performance but cheaper, the Duralast Cmax Gold pads at autozone last a long time, have little dust, and performance is about the same as stock for $30. Pick any decent aftermarket rotor other than drilled rotors and you're good to go. You're not going to find an aftermarket rotor that's worse than the stock rotor but some are definitely better than others.

Excelerate on here has some great brake packages.
The following 4 users liked this post by I hate cars:
Bearcat94 (05-20-2012), Sohan24 (01-29-2018), SSM4DR (05-20-2012), thx1138 (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
I hate cars, always good to hear inputs from you brother . OP last weekend I just found out that I had a sticky/stuck brake caliper on my driver's rear side that pretty much overheated & warped the rotor. So I wasted no time, got the Duralast Gold C max brake pads, replacement brake caliper, and got right to work. Adding to the list, I recently just bought some Power slot slotted rotors for all 4 corners from Excelerate performance along with the XLR8 SS brake lines. Cannot wait to (DIY install) them once they get here . 05 with close to 80k miles if you're wondering.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Proud owner of a...

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
OEM 5at brake pads ARE Akebono ceramics.

They're great for normal driving. I upgraded to a BBK somewhere around 90k and my front brakes had 70% of the pads left. Low dust as well.

I upgraded because the stock rotors warped and the stock pads would leave pad deposits on the rotors anytime I drove it hard. Instead of upgrading just pads in the 1 piston calipers and "better" rotors of the same 11.8" size, I decided on a much better solution, 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers for the type of driving I was doing at the time. The stock system is fine for normal driving but you can expose it's shortcomings quickly under hard driving.

I don't know what kind of improvements you're looking for. If it's fade resistance, a good pad and good brake fluid will be a huge upgrade over stock. Stoptech street pads and Motul RBF600 are great upgrades. If you want slightly better pedal feel (a firmer pedal), isntall some stainless brake lines. You'll be able to have a little fun without pad deposits or brake fade ruining your day. If you're looking for shorter stopping distances, brakes will not help, you need better tires.

If you haven't run into fade or deposit issues, you're just as well leaving everything stock if cost is comparable.

If I were happy with the OEM brakes and wanted something comparable in performance but cheaper, the Duralast Cmax Gold pads at autozone last a long time, have little dust, and performance is about the same as stock for $30. Pick any decent aftermarket rotor other than drilled rotors and you're good to go. You're not going to find an aftermarket rotor that's worse than the stock rotor but some are definitely better than others.

Excelerate on here has some great brake packages.
I agree. I've driven both 3G 5AT TL and G35 Coupe (OEM Brembo brakes) extensively, and the difference is minimal. I can only tell the difference when the car is running on max performance summer tires.

IHC's suggestion to upgrade the brakes is also indisputable.