Takata airbag inflators

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 05:20 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Takata airbag inflators

Apologies if this topic already has a thread: Are Takata airbag inflators installed on the passenger side only in the 2016 RDX? Will Acura replace these airbags?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:33 AM
Advanced

I forgot to add the comment that Honda's continuing to install airbags with these inflators seems incredibly reckless and irresponsible. Had I known this prior to purchasing this vehicle, I would not have done so.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
From EE4Life in on this forum:
Adding new TSB. Mods will need to merge it with the original post.

TSB 16-010 - Safety Recall: Takata Driver’s Airbag Inflator
Applies To: 2007-16 RDX - ALL - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility

Last edited by snorf; 02-01-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
The mere fact that airbags are made by Takata are not the problem - it is the type of inflators that is used in some Takata airbags (i.e. those that are being recalled)

Go to the safercar.gov website (if in the US) and plug in your VIN. If your car is affected by the recall then I'd call my dealer and ask them to put you in a comparable loaner without an affected airbag until they repair yours.

The way that takata, Honda, Acura and all of the other affected manufacturers have handled this is pitiful. If my car were affected then I would NOT drive it until the airbag gets replaced. If you get no joy from the dealer then write a letter to Acura corporate giving them a few alternatives:

1: fix it now
2: put me in a loaner until mine is fixed
3: pay for a rental until mine is fixed

Currently, the affected cars are possible death traps.

It is very important to note that not all Takata airbags are affected, so saying "put me in a car without a Takata airbag" narrows your choices.

My entire family got food poisoning from eating eggs at the local IHOP. I won't go back to that local IHOP nor will I eat sunnyside up eggs at ANY IHOP again, but I'd eat something else there at a different IHOP.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Here's the link:

NHTSA Recalls Spotlight - Takata Air Bag Recalls

The RDX is not on the list, nor are any Honda/Acura vehicles after 2011.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Advanced

However, according to the New York Times, Takata airbags are in the 2016 RDX on the passenger side (and the 2016 Honda CRV on the driver side.) The fact that these vehicles are not yet included in the recalls doesn't mean that the airbags in these cars are safe. When no one knows the root cause of the problem, they no one can say which airbags are safe and which aren't. (The theory that the gas breaks down over time is just that - a theory. Arguing against this theory are failures in 2015 airbags in Fords which has lead to a recall.)

On top of all of this,Takada has shown that they won't be transparent nor act in good faith.

There's no reward in having Takata airbags when compared to having those of another company, there's only risk. So, why drive a car (e.g., 2016 RDX) with Takata airbags?
Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rolf65
However, according to the New York Times, Takata airbags are in the 2016 RDX on the passenger side (and the 2016 Honda CRV on the driver side.) The fact that these vehicles are not yet included in the recalls doesn't mean that the airbags in these cars are safe. When no one knows the root cause of the problem, they no one can say which airbags are safe and which aren't. (The theory that the gas breaks down over time is just that - a theory. Arguing against this theory are failures in 2015 airbags in Fords which has lead to a recall.)

On top of all of this,Takada has shown that they won't be transparent nor act in good faith.

There's no reward in having Takata airbags when compared to having those of another company, there's only risk. So, why drive a car (e.g., 2016 RDX) with Takata airbags?
It ain't that easy.

There are many things to consider with this recall. High humidity and time are the main culprits. In addition, not all Takata were affected. At this point, it would be foolish to make a car buying decision based on the mere presence of a Takata airbag - isn't that like a dealer denying warranty service on a failure based upon the mere presence of a modification?
Old 02-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
From EE4Life in on this forum:
Adding new TSB. Mods will need to merge it with the original post.

TSB 16-010 - Safety Recall: Takata Driver’s Airbag Inflator
Applies To: 2007-16 RDX - ALL - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility
Despite the new TSB, RDX owners still cannot actually determine if they may have a faulty Takata airbag inflator? Honda's website does not include the RDX, as mentioned already in a post above.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
It ain't that easy.

There are many things to consider with this recall. High humidity and time are the main culprits. In addition, not all Takata were affected. At this point, it would be foolish to make a car buying decision based on the mere presence of a Takata airbag - isn't that like a dealer denying warranty service on a failure based upon the mere presence of a modification?
No one knows the root cause of the problem. If time is a main culprit then why have 2015 Fords been added to the recall list. Also, article out today that shows Takata manufacturing is essentially out of control plus few safeguards built into process to begin with. (Combined with company's covering the problem, that's a very bad combination.) Priority is being given to older cars felt to be at highest risk based on current understanding of possible risk factors but ultimately, when supply of replacement airbags from other suppliers meets demand, all Takata airbags will be recalled and replaced (and the company will cease to exist).
Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

No one knows the root cause of the problem. If time is a main culprit then why have 2015 Fords been added to the recall list. Also, article out today that shows Takata manufacturing is essentially out of control plus few safeguards built into process to begin with. (Combined with company's covering the problem, that's a very bad combination.) Priority is being given to older cars felt to be at highest risk based on current understanding of possible risk factors but ultimately, when supply of replacement airbags from other suppliers meets demand, all Takata airbags will be recalled and replaced (and the company will cease to exist).
We know very well what the problem is and it IS caused by humidity and time. If the inflation mechanism is identical in the 2015 Fords then they should be recalled but based upon all the evidence, they would be well down in the priority list.

Worldwide, Takata has what? A quarter of the market? In Japan the market share is even higher so if you don't want a Takata airbag then you'll want to stay away from anything Japanese - or BMW, Chrysler or...

I'd be worried about the airbag in the 2005 RL, but an airbag in a 2016 car wouldn't be of concern - until 7 years or so down the road with the car spending most of its life in a very humid climate. Once your VIN number shows up on the database you can start to worry - otherwise just enjoy your car.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
We know very well what the problem is and it IS caused by humidity and time. If the inflation mechanism is identical in the 2015 Fords then they should be recalled but based upon all the evidence, they would be well down in the priority list.

Worldwide, Takata has what? A quarter of the market? In Japan the market share is even higher so if you don't want a Takata airbag then you'll want to stay away from anything Japanese - or BMW, Chrysler or...

I'd be worried about the airbag in the 2005 RL, but an airbag in a 2016 car wouldn't be of concern - until 7 years or so down the road with the car spending most of its life in a very humid climate. Once your VIN number shows up on the database you can start to worry - otherwise just enjoy your car.
Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. I prefer not to be so passive or to rely upon others who have proven to be either ineffective (gov't) or dishonest (Takata).

The root cause of the problem is not known. Further, now that the cloak of secrecy has been pulled back, it has been revealed that Takata really shouldn't be in the business of making a product so critical to protecting human health. It is a flawed design and their manufacturing processes are out of control. Given these facts, Takata products should be considered unreliable and unsafe until demonstrated otherwise. I want the Takata airbag out of my vehicle. The car is staying in the garage until that point. There's no reward for continuing to drive it as is; only risk. If there is diminished resale value as result, then Honda can expect a class action lawsuit.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. I prefer not to be so passive or to rely upon others who have proven to be either ineffective (gov't) or dishonest (Takata).

The root cause of the problem is not known. Further, now that the cloak of secrecy has been pulled back, it has been revealed that Takata really shouldn't be in the business of making a product so critical to protecting human health. It is a flawed design and their manufacturing processes are out of control. Given these facts, Takata products should be considered unreliable and unsafe until demonstrated otherwise. I want the Takata airbag out of my vehicle. The car is staying in the garage until that point. There's no reward for continuing to drive it as is; only risk. If there is diminished resale value as result, then Honda can expect a class action lawsuit.
The industry fully understands the root causes of the problem and it is a kneejerk reaction to consider all Takata products unsafe.

Like the issue with Ford and Firestone, the industry quickly recognized that the problem was not with Firestone but with drivers not checking tire pressures. All Explorer fatalities met the same conditions - tires at a minimum 25% underinflated - high speed driving - left front tire veered off the roadway onto a dirt median - driver attempting to correct and having the tire get hung up on the "curb between dirt and tarmac - losing control and flipping the car - many of the occupants were unbelted.

If ANY of those was not met, then there was no accident - and that brought us the TREAD Act.

With the airbags we have the same situation - a certain type of propellant - manufactured primarily (for the US) in a plant in Mexico - high absolute humidity - built prior to 2008.

Even with Takata airbags, the chances of getting a face full of shrapnel in a new'ish car is no higher than with any other airbag.

You've clearly made up your mind and came here to vent. That's fine. I probably won't eat at chipotle either for a while until the dust settles and others were guinea pigs but our cars are so full of stuff from different vendors (many of them with issues in the past or present) that it would be impossible to buy a car without questionable vendors.

Takata modified the way it handle Ammonium Nitrate in 2008.

The first article should have been updated (but wasn't) to reflect that the industry now believes that they know what the issue is.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...ect-in-airbags

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...08-report-says
Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

FWIW - the recall is expanding, but these are pretty low on the priority list - probably includes the 2016 ILX.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Acura says 2007- 2015 RDX and early production MY 2016 vehicles only. I guess that means up to May? Don't know... Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site
Old 02-04-2016, 05:07 AM
Advanced

Well, what do you know. My 2016 RDX that I was told to "enjoy" just got recalled. I was told yesterday that it was safe; today I'm told that it isn't. I guess I was right to garage it all along and I guess the authoritative statements that it was "known" that time and humidity were the culprits weren't so accurate.

If you're staying on top of the news, you'll understand that all Takata products shouldn't be relied upon. Expect that they will no longer be placed in new cars and that all - regardless of design - all will be voluntarily recalled at some point. The company, rightfully, will cease to exist in it's current iteration.

Oh, BTW, tires shouldn't disintegrate if the owner doesn't comply with recommendations. The penalty for not dutifully checking air-pressure shouldn't catastrophic tire failure. Reasonable owner non-compliance should be expected and built into the design.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Advanced

Looks to be more of a precaution for PSDI-5 model inflators on early production 16s and older. Useful info here: NHTSA Recalls Spotlight - Takata Air Bag Recalls
Old 02-04-2016, 07:14 AM
Advanced

Forgot this: American Honda Motor : Statement by American Honda Regarding Nationwide Recall of Certain Takata PSDI-5 Driver Front Airbag Inflators
Old 02-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Advanced

They don't know the root cause. The problem has been observed in newer airbags which suggests that time and humidity are not the only identifiable risk factors. Accordingly, all airbags are now considered flawed and a safety risk.

Shame on Honda for burying recall info deep on the Acura website and not having it front and center on the opening page. They apparently have learned very little from other companies in similar situations in other industries.

My first Acura; maybe my last.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:19 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Oh, BTW, tires shouldn't disintegrate if the owner doesn't comply with recommendations. The penalty for not dutifully checking air-pressure shouldn't catastrophic tire failure. Reasonable owner non-compliance should be expected and built into the design.
Unfortunately, this statement only demonstrates ignorance.

Severe underinflation causes all sorts of issues, from increased wear to increased heat to separation from the rim - you might remember that air is the only thing keeping the tire on the rim.

We need to legislate to the stupidest amongst us. That brought us side marker lights in 68, starter interlocks in 73 and TPMS. It also brought us reduced power airbags because we've got to protect the idiots that refuse to wear their seatbelts. And that brings us to the propellant used in the newer airbags.

There have been zero incidents with Takata airbags in late model cars. The issue is that the inflating mechanism could degrade over time. That means that there is no evidence that there is any imminent danger.

That said, once I got a recall notice from Acura, I'd call the dealer and ask for a loaner until the car is fixed.

Takata, like VW and diesels, is only the tip of the iceberg of an industry that is chasing profits above all.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (02-18-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 10:12 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the article I read online this morning for latest recall said "parts may not be available until the summer". Will Acura give me a comparable loaner for my RDX for that long? Will they require us to leave our vehicle with them?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
We have a 2013 RDX and a 2014 TL, and both are on the recall list. The web site said to schedule an appointment with the nearest dealer, but when I called, of course they said that they could not do anything yet. It sounds like it will be quite a few months. I asked about a loaner and he said that was not possible.

I sympathize on the one hand, since they probably could not supply every customer with a loaner, but it seems like Takata airbags have been in the news for a long time, so Acura should have been able to build up a supply of replacements.

Gregg
Old 02-04-2016, 11:02 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rdxintegra
So the article I read online this morning for latest recall said "parts may not be available until the summer". Will Acura give me a comparable loaner for my RDX for that long? Will they require us to leave our vehicle with them?
If you want a loaner you'll need to leave your car.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
No. Just no.

You're forgetting that driving is a PRIVILEDGE, not a right. At what point does accountability for one's own actions come into effect? Well let me tell you- it's the second someone picks up their keys, even BEFORE they start the engine.

MY safety should not be compromised because of SOMEONE ELSES negligence. Everything regarding traffic, roadway and vehicle design is already geared towards the lowest common denominator on the roads, and yet you want it to go a step further. No. Just no.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Yes.

Companies have to design products for the real world, not some vacuum. If you know that recommendations are unlikely to be followed by some fraction of the customers and that there are catastrophic consequences if they are not followed, then you shouldn't release that product except under very controlled circumstances and to a subset of the general population. That's the standard that I am held to in the pharmaceutical industry and I suspect that's the standard in the courts for other industries as well.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
Unfortunately, this statement only demonstrates ignorance.

Severe underinflation causes all sorts of issues, from increased wear to increased heat to separation from the rim - you might remember that air is the only thing keeping the tire on the rim.

We need to legislate to the stupidest amongst us. That brought us side marker lights in 68, starter interlocks in 73 and TPMS. It also brought us reduced power airbags because we've got to protect the idiots that refuse to wear their seatbelts. And that brings us to the propellant used in the newer airbags.

There have been zero incidents with Takata airbags in late model cars. The issue is that the inflating mechanism could degrade over time. That means that there is no evidence that there is any imminent danger.

That said, once I got a recall notice from Acura, I'd call the dealer and ask for a loaner until the car is fixed.

Takata, like VW and diesels, is only the tip of the iceberg of an industry that is chasing profits above all.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Yours is a passive naive and reckless approach. I feel sorry for the individuals who will be passengers in your vehicle.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Soooooooo with your logic, we can then surmise that pharma companies take into account that some people abuse some drugs and such, should make them non-abusable.... do you not see the blatant illogicalness (yes I made a word up) to your statement?

Today I learned tire companies should be held to the same standards as pharmaceutical companies.. you're comparing apples to (insert something that has no relevance to apples at all as oranges at least have the similar characteristic of being a fruit)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
"(yes I made a word up)"

I coined that word forty years ago. I'm also responsible for "doable".
Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Yes.

Companies have to design products for the real world, not some vacuum. If you know that recommendations are unlikely to be followed by some fraction of the customers and that there are catastrophic consequences if they are not followed, then you shouldn't release that product except under very controlled circumstances and to a subset of the general population. That's the standard that I am held to in the pharmaceutical industry and I suspect that's the standard in the courts for other industries as well.
No, you missed the part where driving is a PRIVILEDGE, NOT A RIGHT. And with a priviledge, you have to take responsibility and necessary actions for being able to keep it.

So what, companies will make tires safe to drive 80mph on only 15 psi, then you know the next dummy will try it at 10psi. Maybe we should just start installing solid rubber tires on cars. By the way, I'm guessing that with a background in pharmaceuticals, you have no clue about engineering or what it takes to design and manufacture a tire. It's not just some rubber poured into a form, and voila.

Or, hey, you can pay $1000/tire from here on end, so that some lazy asshole doesn't have to check his pressures. Yeah. That's smart.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
"(yes I made a word up)"

I coined that word forty years ago. I'm also responsible for "doable".
Shit... Credit where credit is due... my mistake sir!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Yours is a passive naive and reckless approach. I feel sorry for the individuals who will be passengers in your vehicle.
Rolf, I get it, you're new here. Let me help you out-

Don't be an asshole to established members, or you're gonna have a bad time. Telling someone their passengers will die because they don't agree with your opinion is not a good way to start your tenure here.

You are entitled to your opinions, but you likely won't find many people agreeing with your beliefs regarding tire design, especially since you likely haven't worked a day as an engineer designing them. You do realize that physics is a real thing that puts real constraints on what we can do, right?

Feel free to comeback with an angry retort, but I'm telling you now that it's a waste of time.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Advanced

Just stopped at my dealer. Looks like they already have vins for some of affected RDX's Most of their 2015 loaners showed up with Airbag Inflator recall. My '16 (11\15) RDX did not - yet. Maybe I'll get lucky and it really is just early production 16's. Called American Honda and they were beyond useless. Knew less than I did...
Old 02-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Advanced

...Anyone know what early production MY '16 would mean as far as the month cut-off. I'm thinking Jan-March 15 or something along those lines. AH couldn't answer that question either...
Old 02-04-2016, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Actually in probability theory, absence of evidence is evidence of absence. Your statement is a logical error made by many people unschooled in probability theory and/or logic.
The following 3 users liked this post by n601ap:
ceb (02-04-2016), TacoBello (02-04-2016), TL Dream (03-03-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I fully understand the frustration by people whose cars have been recalled and parts aren't available but to make a blanket statement that any car with any Takata airbag is a deathtrap is ridiculous.

Nobody can guarantee that an airbag (Takata or not) won't blow up in your face. Today, Continental is recalling 5 million airbag inflaters (for a premature deployment issue) - many of those for Honda.

We know what causes the Takata airbag to fail - time and humidity, which is the reason that all failures were in cars built prior to 2008. All of the recalls for newer cars are preemptive recalls.

That aside, if you are concerned and get a recall notice, then ask for a loaner. If the dealership refuses then write a registered letter to Acura asking them to direct the dealer to provide a loaner or send you a letter assuming full responsibility for any consequences from an airbag failure - you'll get a loaner.

Last edited by ceb; 02-04-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Ceb is correct - these are preemptive recalls based on what's happened in the past and what "could" happen with these. Doing a little research you'll find that no PSDI-5 model inflators have ever exploded. I'm sure they would have just blown this off a couple of years ago. I'm guessing these recalls will keep expanding. Seeing how this goes back to 07 RDX's and there's never been an incident with these in the last 8-9 years don't think there's too much to worry about. It is a concern and hassle though but best to just to get this crap out of the car.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just wanted to chime in:

My wife and I lease a 2015 RDX which we utilize as our family car (we have kid under 2 years old) and she also uses the car as daily transportation for her job. She drives bout 3k mi on a monthly basis. We were planning to buy out the lease at the end of the term. Now our RDX is under the recall and I want out of the lease.

The problems as I see it:
1. The problem is not that the airbag "explodes in your face" as someone put it, its that the igniter disintegrates during the ignition and acts as a shrapnel grenade that kills you.
2. Takata's awful inventory tracking/storing of raw materials...in addition to their lack of corporate responsibility (barring that a few suits resigned.....someone should have taken the sword by now out of shame)
3. This is not MY problem...I didn't sign on the dotted line with Acura for 3 years to carry this liability, to have this headache, to agonize over why the parts are only available in Summer 2016 and supposedly in Canada in Fall 2016. By the way, I refuse to accept that a 4 month or longer wait is a timely attempt at a fix.
4. I also think it's irresponsible to make blanket statements like "it hasn't happened in an RDX yet, its preemptive." I don't think it's preemptive. I think its because Honda has no confidence/trust in Takata, due to Takatas business practices.
5. Clearly, I'm very frustrated by the situation because I feel that I bought into the promise of the brand...luxury, reliability, safety....and now I got duped, especially when they knew...well in advance....and for a long time did nothing.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Soooooooo with your logic, we can then surmise that pharma companies take into account that some people abuse some drugs and such, should make them non-abusable.... do you not see the blatant illogicalness (yes I made a word up) to your statement?
The science isn't there yet. For drugs that carry certain risks (e.g., risk of congenital malformations; drugs of abuse, etc.) use is limited to certain patients and to certain MD's to prescribe. The patient, the MD who prescribe them and pharmacists who will fill them, must undergo annual certification. In instances where there is toxicity, the government mandates that the patient have recurring testing and there are abnormal results, the the drug can no longer be prescribed.

They're called Elements to Assure Safe Use (ETASU) and are part of Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS) pharma companies must develop for certain high risk drugs, in case you want to learn more. However, judging from the quality of the responses on this forum and making inferences about the authors, I'm sure you won't. As I say, ignorance is bliss.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by yrmed
Just wanted to chime in:

My wife and I lease a 2015 RDX which we utilize as our family car (we have kid under 2 years old) and she also uses the car as daily transportation for her job. She drives bout 3k mi on a monthly basis. We were planning to buy out the lease at the end of the term. Now our RDX is under the recall and I want out of the lease.

The problems as I see it:
1. The problem is not that the airbag "explodes in your face" as someone put it, its that the igniter disintegrates during the ignition and acts as a shrapnel grenade that kills you.
2. Takata's awful inventory tracking/storing of raw materials...in addition to their lack of corporate responsibility (barring that a few suits resigned.....someone should have taken the sword by now out of shame)
3. This is not MY problem...I didn't sign on the dotted line with Acura for 3 years to carry this liability, to have this headache, to agonize over why the parts are only available in Summer 2016 and supposedly in Canada in Fall 2016. By the way, I refuse to accept that a 4 month or longer wait is a timely attempt at a fix.
4. I also think it's irresponsible to make blanket statements like "it hasn't happened in an RDX yet, its preemptive." I don't think it's preemptive. I think its because Honda has no confidence/trust in Takata, due to Takatas business practices.
5. Clearly, I'm very frustrated by the situation because I feel that I bought into the promise of the brand...luxury, reliability, safety....and now I got duped, especially when they knew...well in advance....and for a long time did nothing.
I couldn't agree more. With respect to #4, because of the a high likelihood of under-reporting, all parties accept that it is likely that an event has occurred that was not discovered as such and thus not reported. Ours is a system of spontaneous reporting and depends upon every police department in every county in this country asking for an autopsy in every fatal wreck and the pathologist (not available in every county) being aware of and finding evidence of the issue. Again, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. There is a risk in continuing to drive that car. Takata is out of control and has a history of covering up facts. Honda has bungled this from day one.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
So am I the only one happily driving my '15 RDX that was built about a year ago, knowing I have a recall on the horizon, but knowing the issues that have been observed w/Takata is seen in the longer haul and feeling my risk is so low at this point that I shouldn't lose sleep over it? I get the problem with the older vehicles, but newer ones? Isn't this fix w/non-Takata parts truly a proactive action on Honda's part?

andy
Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure you aren't the only one, I bet there are lots of people who may not really care at all. It's exactly like Rolf said...but in different words...."If a tree falls in the forest, but you aren't around to hear it...does it make a sound"....If there is a 2015 Acura RDX which is part of the recall involved in a front collision and the air bag igniter disintegrates on ignition and a shard of metal enters the drivers skull or neck and kill/maims him or her...but it isn't reported to the national media outlets....did it really happen and is the car dangerous to drive?

If there was no reason for concern for safety which would involve lawsuits and criminal charges, there would be no recall, right?.....

And..what are the odds....is it May or May Not?...That's 50/50... and frankly, for me it is too risky to keep spending money on that I worked hard to earn.

Quick Reply: Takata airbag inflators