RDX buyers remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bvogel7475
I have a 2013 RDX fwd with Tech. I am not happy with the traction of the front wheels when I rapidly accelerate from a dead stop to 5 mph. The front wheels break loose almost every time. The traction control kicks in after I have squealed the tires for a few seconds. This includes perfectly dry pavement. I didn't try this when I test drove the AWD version and am wondering if AWD has the same issue.
Thats typical of semi powerful front wheel drive car, tires squeal as the weight transfers from front to the back away from your front drive wheels. Even the AWD RDX, I found the traction to not be that great (better than FWD models) for an AWD vehicle. It's an oops.. system (RDX). The rear wheels only kick in when the front slip. Try a stickier set of tires will help a little. Subarus AWD system noticeably better than RDX(CRV) system.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by danmangto
Thats typical of semi powerful front wheel drive car, tires squeal as the weight transfers from front to the back away from your front drive wheels. Even the AWD RDX, I found the traction to not be that great (better than FWD models) for an AWD vehicle. It's an oops.. system (RDX). The rear wheels only kick in when the front slip. Try a stickier set of tires will help a little. Subarus AWD system noticeably better than RDX(CRV) system.
I see that the RDX AWD is often quoted to kick in only when there's slip. According to Acura's web site, it seems to do more than just that:

The RDX all-wheel drive system is designed to help maximize the use of available traction in both dry and slippery conditions, while minimizing system-wide friction and power loss to help optimize fuel efficiency.

- In normal cruising, the system operates as an efficient FWD vehicle with 100% of engine torque being directed to the front wheels.

- During moderate acceleration or when front wheel slip is detected in dry conditions, 25% of engine torque is transferred to the rear wheels.

- On a wet or slippery surface, wheel slippage will cause a reduction in engine output to the front wheels possibly to a point where torque is distributed 50/50 between the front and rear wheels.

- Systemic efficiencies allow the AWD system to have a combined EPA fuel economy rating of only one mile per gallon below the front-wheel drive model.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
How do you disable VCM?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kareshi
I see that the RDX AWD is often quoted to kick in only when there's slip. According to Acura's web site, it seems to do more than just that:

The RDX all-wheel drive system is designed to help maximize the use of available traction in both dry and slippery conditions, while minimizing system-wide friction and power loss to help optimize fuel efficiency.

- In normal cruising, the system operates as an efficient FWD vehicle with 100% of engine torque being directed to the front wheels.

- During moderate acceleration or when front wheel slip is detected in dry conditions, 25% of engine torque is transferred to the rear wheels.

- On a wet or slippery surface, wheel slippage will cause a reduction in engine output to the front wheels possibly to a point where torque is distributed 50/50 between the front and rear wheels.

- Systemic efficiencies allow the AWD system to have a combined EPA fuel economy rating of only one mile per gallon below the front-wheel drive model.
Yes, correct, some power is sent to the rear when you accelerate from a dead stop and to a certain mph. During medium to hard acceleration it transfers power, not during light or moderate acceleration. But usually it's what we call an OOPS system. It's mostly front drive and only sends power to the rear once the fronts begin to slip. It's still better than just a front drive car, but not as good as for example, subarus system. Driving the RDX around it's still essentially a front drive vehicle.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
How do you disable VCM?
You can't disable VCM that is the big problem. I've owned several of these VCM cars hoping Honda would get it right. They have improved it.. but it's not enough. Even the current generation 2.. with my RDX at a steady highway 60-65mph cursing, I could feel the car/engine minor vibration and the sound if you have the radio off. Putting the radio takes care of the minor sound.. vibration is still there. Some people will notice others will claim there isn't one. It's there.

There is the current class action lawsuit that is against even the 2013 models with VCM 2. Plugs fouling out, ignition coils failing, engine mis fires. If you keep driving it.. once this occurs you damage the engine. Happened to my 2011 Oddy touring, fouled out plugs, hrs from home. Not fun.. Only at 40k miles.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
costs less than a comparably equipped murano... whats there to be remorseful about?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nexx
costs less than a comparably equipped murano... whats there to be remorseful about?
True, Murano is pricey... but the only thing in the Murano's favor is that it has way more tech features than the luxury badged Acura. Blind spot warning, moving object detection, heated steering wheel, built in DVD headrest entertainent, lane departure warning, etc. Stuff you can't get in an RDX. I don't like the front end of the Murano and think it's ugly, my opinion.

The real shocker is the Murano convertible pricing.. LOL! For that you might as well buy an Infiniti G37 coupe for about the same $$. G37 has a nicer interior/etc. Both are 2 door vehicles with All wheel drive.

The problem in my opinion with the RDX is the interior.. the door panels and cheap grey paint on the dash are pretty cheap for a vehicle that runs around $42k MSRP with tech package. Case in point, sit in an infinite EX35 (whatever they call it today) The interior is definitely nicer for similar $$. Real stainless trim or real wood trim, much less cheap hard plastic like RDX.. most surfaces are all soft touch or leather covered.. I had one previously. EX is smaller, but handles more fun to drive. Sit in the Q5, also nicer interior, a little more $$ but worth it.

Last edited by danmangto; 05-04-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:52 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe premature since I just Purchased but haven't picked mine up yet. No regrets. I went full circle back to the RDX after looking/test driving several other CUVs. Best bang for your buck with the RDX. Felt at first I did settle but reading over the cars features I'm more excited now about it, than when I bought it.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2014 RDX base and would buy the SUV again.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:41 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
This thread should be best answered by those who have owned it for more than three years or out of warrenty. Many of us on the forum here have just bought the RDX and our reviews are likely to be biased. Hey we just bought the car after comparing with everything out there because we thought it's the best value for our money. Isn't it.

Last edited by Comfy; 05-21-2014 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lji (06-15-2015)
Old 05-21-2014, 03:23 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
This thread should be best answered by those who have owned it for more than three years or out of warrenty. Many of us on the forum here have just bought the RDX and our reviews are likely to be biased. Hey we just bought the car after comparing with everything out there because we thought it's the best value for our money. Isn't it.
Then this would be a very short thread since nobody has owned a 2nd gen for 3 years.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:47 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Ha Ha ha...that's so true...
Old 05-22-2014, 04:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by bvogel7475
I have a 2013 RDX fwd with Tech. I am not happy with the traction of the front wheels when I rapidly accelerate from a dead stop to 5 mph. The front wheels break loose almost every time. The traction control kicks in after I have squealed the tires for a few seconds. This includes perfectly dry pavement. I didn't try this when I test drove the AWD version and am wondering if AWD has the same issue. I am also having problems with the Pandora interface on my I-phone 4 when it is connected to the USB cable. After the latest Pandora update, I can only see what song is playing. Station lists, the like feature,etc are no longer available. I talked to the dealer service department here in Anaheim, California about any software updates to fix this. He indicated that there are not any available. Today is probably the day I will go and get an I-phone 5. I will test my son's I-phone 5 first to make sure the issue is directly related to having an I-phone 4.

Like other forum members. I have also experienced the wheel vibrations at 60 mph. I had all my wheels road force balanced (this is much more precise than regular spin balancing) and 80% of the vibration went away. I still notice it but it doesn't really bother me anymore. I rarely drive at just 60 mph anyway. So, maybe that has helped as we'll. Who drives at 60 mph for any length of time anyway? Out here in California, I would say that drivers who are 60+ years of old and inexperienced Asian drivers (usually old as we'll) drive this slow on highways and freeways. Sorry, if you are an old Asian forum member. This is not a racist comment. The stereotype is mostly true and obviously doesn't include all drivers in these categories.

Other than the traction, the Pandora problem, and the vibration issue, the car has been great. I went on a trip to Mammoth in March and mainly drove around 80 mph (sometimes up to 100 mph when no cars were around) and got about 29 mpg for the whole 800+ mile journey. I am also 6'3" and weigh 215 lbs and found the seats to be very comfortable.
unfortunately the RDX (along with many other AWD systems) are what are known as slip and grip. This means the front wheels have to slip x amount before the rear wheels are given any power.

If you want a true AWD system, get a Subaru or other car that does indeed drive all 4 wheels. Be advised though you will take a fuel econ hit for that one though

2002 Acura CL-S with nearly 300hp (old standard) returns 24 mixed and so does the RDX V6. The Subaru despite only having a 2.5L making 165hp gets 23 mixed...
Old 05-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
People are splitting hairs on this. The power to the rear wheels happens in fractions of a second.....not seconds. It is barely noticeable before it is a 50/50 mix on dry pavement with the AWD. I absolutely floored a demo on a test drive while taking a 90 degree corner and got very little tire squeal. In a front wheel only drive vehicle I can see where that same maneuver would have resulted in possibly "seconds" of tire squeal. Having said that, I rarely drive like that so it's really not an issue. I just did it on my salesman's suggestion to experience how the AWD kicks in immediately and provides excellent traction. I had an Infiniti QX4 with AWD and 4WD and the RDX system is absolutely better in very slippery conditions. I really appreciated it this past winter in the Chicago area as we had the worst winter in about 30 years.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by geocord
People are splitting hairs on this. The power to the rear wheels happens in fractions of a second.....not seconds. It is barely noticeable before it is a 50/50 mix on dry pavement with the AWD. I absolutely floored a demo on a test drive while taking a 90 degree corner and got very little tire squeal. In a front wheel only drive vehicle I can see where that same maneuver would have resulted in possibly "seconds" of tire squeal. Having said that, I rarely drive like that so it's really not an issue. I just did it on my salesman's suggestion to experience how the AWD kicks in immediately and provides excellent traction. I had an Infiniti QX4 with AWD and 4WD and the RDX system is absolutely better in very slippery conditions. I really appreciated it this past winter in the Chicago area as we had the worst winter in about 30 years.
Mind to elaborate on how is the RDX AWD is better than the Infiniti in your experience? Not to challenge you but want to understand it more. I am in a snowy city so I would like to understand the ability of my RDX. Were you on winter tires as well?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by danmangto
You can't disable VCM that is the big problem. I've owned several of these VCM cars hoping Honda would get it right. They have improved it.. but it's not enough. Even the current generation 2.. with my RDX at a steady highway 60-65mph cursing, I could feel the car/engine minor vibration and the sound if you have the radio off. Putting the radio takes care of the minor sound.. vibration is still there. Some people will notice others will claim there isn't one. It's there.
I am absolutely amazed at RDX quality. And no, I do not notice any vibrations or sounds related to VCM. The engine and transmission are smooth, switching the shift lever to "S" and leaving other cars behind at stoplights is my favorite pastime once I get to driving the car (it's my wife's).
Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
there is no splitting of hairs, it is either AWD (Subaru for example) or it is a semi AWD like the Acura is. You want to know what the difference is?

Here you go...

the CRV is @ 1:33 in and it uses the SAME AWD as the RDX does. Don't get me wrong it will work in the snow (I actually like it) but it is not going to be able to do what a true AWD car/suv can do

Old 05-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Racer

Don't get your panties in a twist. I've seen all those vids before. I was not saying the RDX AWD is better. I was just saying that in practical use the RDX AWD system is fine. Is it as good as some others? Probably not but it does the job in real world driving unless you have a very, very particular challenge. My old Infiniti that I drove for ten years had AWD, 4WD and 4WD/lo. The RDX does better in the snow than the QX4 did. I'm sure there are other factors at play like tires, weight, suspension but I'm just comparing the two. My daughter has an Outback and likes it very much except for the engine whine with the CVT.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
the CRV is @ 1:33 in and it uses the SAME AWD as the RDX does.
I don't think this is an accurate statement. I'm pretty sure that model CRV had 4WD not AWD w/ Intelligent Control. Regardless, I don't the Gen 2 RDX could climb that steep hill. But the Acuras with SH-AWD could.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ottoman101
I don't think this is an accurate statement. I'm pretty sure that model CRV had 4WD not AWD w/ Intelligent Control. Regardless, I don't the Gen 2 RDX could climb that steep hill. But the Acuras with SH-AWD could.
Was that the 2012? I see starting in 2012 has AWD w/ Intelligent Control:

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/v...ModelYear=2012
Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kareshi
Was that the 2012? I see starting in 2012 has AWD w/ Intelligent Control:

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/v...ModelYear=2012

Nope, it is a 2011 CRV with the old AWD system.

I don't think the new version can climb that hill either. After all, the test is tailored to show off Subaru's symmetric AWD. With a running start, most AWD cars can reach the top. By stopping on a steep slope and start from stand still, it requires even power distribution to all 4 wheels and sticky tires to do the trick. I am not a Subaru fan but their AWD has real off road capability.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:56 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
You don't always get what you want.... But, you just might get what,.... you just might get what you need.......
Old 12-02-2014, 05:40 PM
8th Gear

So far so good. Sometimes I wish I have bought Audi Q5 or a sports/family sedan. You can always justify your choice because of value, reliability, etc. However if $10,000 more were not an issue then how many of you-RDX owners would have bought it?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by larryradev
So far so good. Sometimes I wish I have bought Audi Q5 or a sports/family sedan. You can always justify your choice because of value, reliability, etc. However if $10,000 more were not an issue then how many of you-RDX owners would have bought it?
Probably.

I know that I bought my TSX although I went into the store to buy a RL. Then I looked at the TL and saw the TSX wagon. My decision was based on expected reliability, acceptable amenities and decent handling. The RL and TL had lousy turning circles and felt huge. Price had little to do with it and I suspect that others here would trade a few electronic gadgets for added reliability and a decent dealer experience.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:29 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

What I would like to know is whether the RDX / MDX with SHAWD will make the climb in the first video...???
The second video (top gear) was a slam dunk for Subaru, but the competitors were with FWD or RWD, therefore not a comparison at all IMO. It was fun to watch anyway. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't exactly have buyers remorse, but I traded in a 2014 RDX this September on another car. There was nothing wrong with it, it was a fine vehicle, and I wanted to love it, but I could not, it was an appliance. It did what it was supposed to and I knew it would be reliable, but there was no real pride of ownership, I like my refrigerator, it keeps my food cold, but I don't lovingly wax it. The acura was kinda the same, I liked it, but I never loved it, but it did what it was supposed to. And for most people that is enough.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by madden
I didn't exactly have buyers remorse, but I traded in a 2014 RDX this September on another car. There was nothing wrong with it, it was a fine vehicle, and I wanted to love it, but I could not, it was an appliance. It did what it was supposed to and I knew it would be reliable, but there was no real pride of ownership, I like my refrigerator, it keeps my food cold, but I don't lovingly wax it. The acura was kinda the same, I liked it, but I never loved it, but it did what it was supposed to. And for most people that is enough.
I looked back lovingly after I parked on my MB 300 Adenauer, my 300SEL 6.3, my 600 and my Jaguar XJ-S V12HE. More recently, I'd look back on my Audi S6 wagon. I didn't look back on my R32 or my 335 and initially I didn't look back at my TSX wagon. Recently however, I've been getting more and more comments on my TSX and have recently started looking back after I park it.

It is about time that I start looking at other cars (three or four years and 50k miles) but everytime I do some research I ask myself "what are the advantages of changing cars" and I'm good again for a few months. That's never happened before.

Do I "love" it? Probably not but I sure like it.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
So what was your new car then? Really, probably 98% of the cars bought are appliances (used to get from point A to point B).
Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Polestar V60 (nextpolestar.com)Truly awesome car, exceptional handling, fast, fully loaded, wonderful seats, all in a stylish wagon package. It's an amazing vehicle.

Last edited by madden; 12-05-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Racer

That's what can happen when you spend $60k+ vs. $36-40K. Are you bragging about your new car or simply ragging on the RDX?
Old 12-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Polestar V60 (nextpolestar.com)Truly awesome car, exceptional handling, fast, fully loaded, wonderful seats, all in a stylish wagon package. It's an amazing vehicle.
Are you tracking the vehicle? Otherwise, you just bought a more expensive appliance.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced

I don't think I was ragging on the RDX, I did say it was a fine vehicle, it just wasn't for me.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:23 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I think madden went through this discussion in some other thread. Wasn't it you who came from a family of Volvos and decided to try RDX for a change. Anyway it didn't sound like ragging the RDX to me.
Euro cars tend to have a different feel and character (and cost) and many like it.
This thread is about buyers remorse for RDX and therefore yes at least one owner had a remorse bad enough to change cars even though there was nothing wrong or broken with the car. Just the expectations were different. It is most important for a car shopper to select the car which fits them. Sometimes the best value for dollar may not work for you. Need to do extensive test drives with different makes and models if you are on the fence.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced

Yes, this is my 9th Volvo. There is no denying the RDX is an excellent value and a fine vehicle. At the time I bought it, my last Volvo was totaled, I had fewer choices in May 2013.
There was no V60 yet in NA, let alone a Polestar, there was no Macan, or SQ5 . Audi gave me a Q5 for an entire week-end, I also tested a XC60, RDX, and BMW X3. I picked the RDX because I felt it was on par with the others for less money. The RDX ended up being a stop gap until I could get the vehicle I really wanted.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The RDX ended up being a stop gap until I could get the vehicle I really wanted.
Proving once again that into every life a little rain must fall.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Yes, this is my 9th Volvo. There is no denying the RDX is an excellent value and a fine vehicle. At the time I bought it, my last Volvo was totaled, I had fewer choices in May 2013.
There was no V60 yet in NA, let alone a Polestar, there was no Macan, or SQ5 . Audi gave me a Q5 for an entire week-end, I also tested a XC60, RDX, and BMW X3. I picked the RDX because I felt it was on par with the others for less money. The RDX ended up being a stop gap until I could get the vehicle I really wanted.
I'm one Volvo ahead of you if you count the '72 wagon I had in college. Had the XC60 over three years before going to the RDX. Sizewise, the V60 would work IF they had the XC version(that is, with a higher driver seat position)...so, we will take a look next summer when our RDX lease is up. There is talk of something along the lines of an XC40...that could be interesting. There are days when DW really enjoys the higher seating in the RDX compared to our C70...there are PLENTY of big trucks in Texas!!! Nice to be able to see around and over at least SOME of the traffic.

No remorse here...we may even buy the RDX at lease end. But, we are at least equally interested in the NX and possibly the V60(not a Polestar unless we hit the lottery).
Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced

There will be a V60 CC coming soon, a little higher up than the regular V60. Believe me it was hard to justify trading in the 2014 RDX so soon, I liked it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, other than the fact it didn't quite suit me, and I could have happily lived with the RDX for many years if I hadn't seen that Polestar V60, life is short, I knew I had to have it, there's an emotional side to a car purchase, the RDX was practical and a smart purchase, the Polestar was more emotional and is way more fun. That is not detracting from what the RDX is, a fine vehicle, I have never said otherwise.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 PM
2nd Gear

We did some shopping around when we chose the RDX. The main reason I didn't choose a Jeep (because when you think of AWD SUV Jeep is the first thing to cross my mind!) is because Chrysler will not see another penny of my money.

We bought a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 in cash when it was new. At 54,000 miles I've spent over $8k in repairs and it needs a new engine. Such terrible quality, they should be ashamed.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimyue
We did some shopping around when we chose the RDX. The main reason I didn't choose a Jeep (because when you think of AWD SUV Jeep is the first thing to cross my mind!) is because Chrysler will not see another penny of my money.

We bought a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 in cash when it was new. At 54,000 miles I've spent over $8k in repairs and it needs a new engine. Such terrible quality, they should be ashamed.
Back in Fall of 2013 we almost bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w Tech Package. My wife really liked the look of the 2014 GC, however the Fit & Finish was not great, Rear bumper wasn't fitted nicely, exposed dried glue from interior molding... etc. But the buying experience was even worse. The salesmen tried every sales tactic in the book to get us to pay more then we wanted too. We walked.

We bought a 2014 RDX Tech. Have to admit that the RDX didn't have nearly as many features as the Jeep. But the buying experience was great and the RDX was FAR superior as far as Fit & Finish.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 02-18-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by davisinla
Count me in the "no remorse" category.

The RDX fit my needs and expectations perfectly.
Wow, it's been about a year since I posted the above comments earlier in this thread. Still feel the exact same way - if not more.

Except for a couple of small rattles successfully removed under warranty, the RDX has turned out to be even more perfect for me than I had anticipated.

FYI, I also had considered - and rejected - the GC.

Quick Reply: RDX buyers remorse?