2-1/2 questions on 2017 RDX cargo liner

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
2-1/2 questions on 2017 RDX cargo liner

Hi guys...

If you bought the RDX cargo liner, please help me out with the following questions, please.

1. If you also have the cargo tray, did you put your tray ON TOP of the liner after you installed it or did you leave the tray in place and install the liner over the tray?

2. What do you do when you're not using the flap that goes over the bumper to protect it - do you roll it up (like sushi or carpet or newspaper and sort of tuck it underneath itself or do you just unceremoniously throw it over and out of the way of the liftgate latch like a used towel? :o

2.5 What is the purpose of the two little "tails" with a piece of Velcro on the left and right sides of the bottom of the bumper flap?

Thanks for any help on this.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I only have the tray, but it would seem the best thing to do with the flap is to fold it back up on top of the floor portion when not in use. Maybe the velcro holds it in place in that position? I would think the tray would go on top of the liner if you have both.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by chickdr
I only have the tray, but it would seem the best thing to do with the flap is to fold it back up on top of the floor portion when not in use. Maybe the velcro holds it in place in that position? I would think the tray would go on top of the liner if you have both.
Thanks, chickdr. I bought the tray when I bought the car and ordered the OEM liner from Amazon after I verified the part number on the American Honda e-store. The liner did not come with instructions. Nothing specific when I Googled or YouTubed about it. I appreciate your thoughts and will experiment some more with it (just got it the other day). It was easy to install but had those questions above. Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a pdf for instructions on Bernardi OEM parts website.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kst123
There is a pdf for instructions on Bernardi OEM parts website.
Hey, I'm not kidding on this -- I clicked on that Bernardi link and I got this horrible and extremely loud sound blaring out of my brand new top-of-the-line Dell XPS 13 laptop's speakers (just delivered today by FEDEX) that sounded like an emergency Evacuate The Building Now alarm. On my screen was a really urgent and verbose warning from my ISP that I didn't bother reading because all I wanted to do was immediately shut the thing down and shut the blaring cacophony down... I'll just have to skip the instructions from Bernardi, I'm thinking.

I called the dealership parts store and the guy was basically, "we just sell the thing." Gone are the days of knowing all about what you want to sell to customers (or at least be serviceable should questions arise). The service department man said he thinks the tray should stay underneath because it's the last line of defense between grunge and the carpet and the liner, on the other hand, is designed to be a thing that you put on when you need it (occasional trip to Home Depot, et al) and remove easily when you don't. Makes sense, actually, even though I plan to leave the liner on all the time. (The liner came with a storage bag.)

I sort of figured out the "tails" with female Velcro strips on the left and right ends of the bumper protector flap. There's actually corresponding strips of male Velcro on the liner itself halfway up on the sides so you can fashion something like a tailgate with the bumper flap when you bring it back up off of the bumper. But it's too loose and slumps too much...won't be using that "feature." I will just roll it up neatly away from the liftgate latch and go find something more important to concern myself with...lol.

Last edited by birdonamission; 10-24-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Grammar, clarity.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Here's the cargo liner instructions from the Acura site:

LinkDeny
Old 10-25-2016, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
Hey, I'm not kidding on this -- I clicked on that Bernardi link and I got this horrible and extremely loud sound blaring out of my brand new top-of-the-line Dell XPS 13 laptop's speakers (just delivered today by FEDEX) that sounded like an emergency Evacuate The Building Now alarm. On my screen was a really urgent and verbose warning from my ISP that I didn't bother reading because all I wanted to do was immediately shut the thing down and shut the blaring cacophony down... I'll just have to skip the instructions from Bernardi, I'm thinking.

I called the dealership parts store and the guy was basically, "we just sell the thing." Gone are the days of knowing all about what you want to sell to customers (or at least be serviceable should questions arise). The service department man said he thinks the tray should stay underneath because it's the last line of defense between grunge and the carpet and the liner, on the other hand, is designed to be a thing that you put on when you need it (occasional trip to Home Depot, et al) and remove easily when you don't. Makes sense, actually, even though I plan to leave the liner on all the time. (The liner came with a storage bag.)

I sort of figured out the "tails" with female Velcro strips on the left and right ends of the bumper protector flap. There's actually corresponding strips of male Velcro on the liner itself halfway up on the sides so you can fashion something like a tailgate with the bumper flap when you bring it back up off of the bumper. But it's too loose and slumps too much...won't be using that "feature." I will just roll it up neatly away from the liftgate latch and go find something more important to concern myself with...lol.
my buddy uses the liner and also got the liners up the sides and over the seats because he transports his dogs that shed everywhere.
he used to put the tray on top of the mat but he has since taken the tray out.
idk...prolly decide what use you need and use one or the other.

Maybe the Velcro is for rolling up the mat and holding it in place to put in the bag...but I think you are correct that it forms a soft tailgate.

Last edited by Himecraig; 10-25-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Pro

Here's photos of mine, with the "bumper protector flap rolled up when not using" option. I also show how it looks with the "soft tailgate" option using the Velcro thingys on the sides.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the detailed pics. I have ordered mine from Bernardi. Will put that in next week.
The following users liked this post:
jcross1231 (10-29-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kst123
Thanks for the detailed pics. I have ordered mine from Bernardi. Will put that in next week.
You're welcome. I've appreciated it when others have posted photos - a picture is truly worth a thousand words!