Audiophiles get in here - best rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audiophiles get in here - best rear speakers?

Purchased my CL used and the previous owner installed Rockford Fosgate 6.5" 3-ways up front, and Infinity Kappa Gold 6x9 3 ways in the rear, all being pushed by a Rockford Fosgate Prime r400 amp. It actually sounds really good, but the bass is pretty lacking and there seems like there is too much high-end sound coming from the rear which it throws off the sound stage. I've tried playing the equalizer but I'm trying to determine if it would be better to ditch the Infinities and get a set of RF 6.5" mid-bass drivers to round out the sound better. I'd go for a dedicated trunk subwoofer but I really need all the trunk space. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Don't care...

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
i replaced the 6x9 with CDT subs. Very nice.
CDT Audio Subwoofer CL-69SUB CF
Old 10-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
go with the best shallow mount sub, you wont regret it....BM mk IV 12? Subwoofer | Stereo Integrity

or my recommendation for a 6x9, there is several that come to mind but i like the Hertz HCX 690, you didnt tell us a price range so im not sure how much i can help you with recommendations until i know what you want to spend, there is great speakers at all price points

but IMO id ditch the front coax's....is there a tweeter in the tweeter pod or only in the door?

id get a nice component set up front and 1 sub in the rear, thats all the fill you need. i dont have rear deck speakers and never thought mine sounded inadequate or something missing.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:06 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DLntheCL
go with the best shallow mount sub, you wont regret it....BM mk IV 12? Subwoofer | Stereo Integrity

or my recommendation for a 6x9, there is several that come to mind but i like the Hertz HCX 690, you didnt tell us a price range so im not sure how much i can help you with recommendations until i know what you want to spend, there is great speakers at all price points

but IMO id ditch the front coax's....is there a tweeter in the tweeter pod or only in the door?

id get a nice component set up front and 1 sub in the rear, thats all the fill you need. i dont have rear deck speakers and never thought mine sounded inadequate or something missing.
There's no tweeter in the door right now, everything is coming from the Rockford Fosgate 6.5" 3-ways.

I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible. I like the idea of replacing the rears with 6x9 subs. Would I be able to run them off of my Rockford Fosgate R250d Prime amp while also running my front speakers through it? (sorry..bit of a noob when it comes to car audio...)
Old 10-11-2014, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by b52bgz
i replaced the 6x9 with CDT subs. Very nice.
CDT Audio Subwoofer CL-69SUB CF
Hey buddy how much does a pair of these go for? I have a JBL ms1004 amp and would bee pretty cool to run 100 rms to each. Do they really sound like subs? whatbamp do you have?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:08 AM
Don't care...

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraCls6speed
Hey buddy how much does a pair of these go for? I have a JBL ms1004 amp and would bee pretty cool to run 100 rms to each. Do they really sound like subs? whatbamp do you have?
I want to say a paid $150 for a pair. I also switched out the components in front with Morels. I'm looking for SQ. I want solid, musical bass, not to shake all the panels of the car. I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer 2-din and I run the stock Bose amp with it. The JBL would work very well.

Check clearance with your trunk lid springs though. There's a limited amount of room behind the 6x9's. In my case, I don't have springs but have gas shocks instead.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by b52bgz
I want to say a paid $150 for a pair. I also switched out the components in front with Morels. I'm looking for SQ. I want solid, musical bass, not to shake all the panels of the car. I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer 2-din and I run the stock Bose amp with it. The JBL would work very well.

Check clearance with your trunk lid springs though. There's a limited amount of room behind the 6x9's. In my case, I don't have springs but have gas shocks instead.
crap my kappas dont even fit lol they rub the bars