What's the most crucial parts to change when updating the front and rear suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What's the most crucial parts to change when updating the front and rear suspension?

What's the most crucial parts to change when updating the front and rear suspension system? Like Upper & Lower Ball Joints, Inner & Outer Tie Rods, Strut Assembly, etc.. (2003 Acura CL-S Automatic) And what don't I have to worry about? As far as changing?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
These cars are getting up there in age. Many things will need to be replaced soon, if not now. My recommendation would be to replace any ball joint that is disconnected when working on this car. Replacing front wheel bearings, installing extended lug studs or changing an axle might be some of the only things you would be doing that would require removal of the front ball joints, though. I can't think of what you would be doing in the rear to need to break that one loose. If it doesn't HAVE to come apart, then stand by the adage, "If it ain't broke..."

A rear shock upgrade (these cars don't have struts) would simultaneously take car of the rear lower shock mount bushing. Those can wear out and are a major point in the suspension's integrity. Sway bar end links and mount bushings are also another very good upgrade.

So, to actually answer your question, replacing the shocks and springs with new or new aftermarket can do wonders in itself. I put Koni yellows and H&R race springs on my car. The springs are rated for a 1998-2002 Accord and I figured the extra weight of the CL would cause that spring to behave more like H&R's "sport" model. It seems I was right. This suspension set up is phenomenal. Much better than OEM. But my car also only has 92,000 miles on it. So everything else is in fairly good shape as well.

To develop a plan of attack, start with shocks and springs. Get everything you need ordered and set aside a full day to do the work. I also recommend you do the sway bar end links and bushings I mentioned earlier. You can get the 27.2mm front and 19mm rear sway bar bushings from Energy suspension and the end links can either be Moog or Mevotech. OEM parts are a little more flimsy than I'd like and the aftermarket more or less remedied this.

Right now you can get Koni yellow shocks for $550 with a 25% off coupon code. Good quality springs are another $200 on top of that. You'll spend about $80 in sway bar hardware if you buy all of it. You could even drop another $50 and get the '07-'08 Acura TL Type-S 20mm rear sway bar from Acura. I did that and noticed an awesome difference on my 2002 Accord. But I haven't on my CL because going from 19 to 20mm isn't that much of a difference. I bought the Progress 24mm bar, instead. For under $850, you'll have a car that is an absolute blast to drive whether it's taking on-ramps at 75mph or taking Grandma to dialysis.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
LOL. Heres an idea... why not take Grandma at 75mph on on-ramps going to dialysis?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:31 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

@JarrettLauderdale... That's the advice I been waiting for. Thanks for your knowledge. I deeply appreciate your time. I'm doing Koni Yellow's w/ Vogtlang Springs, Eibach Front & Rear Sway Bar Kit w/ Moog End Links, Upper & Lower Ball Joints w/ Controll Arms, Inner & Outer Tie Rods. And now with your advice I'm a look into the "Rear Lower Shock Mount Bushing.

And for the Record my '03 Acura CL-S is at 160,000 miles. So yeah, it's about that time to rejuvenate my baby. I'm second owner. Thank god the prior owner took good care of her. All repairs done at the dealership and he gave all the papers of every repair done. I got lucky.

thank a lot again JarrettLauderdale.

Last edited by hue_hustler; 06-21-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrett, had a couple quick clarifying questions. First what kind of accord model springs did you order for? Coupe, Sedan, 6, 4? And I was curious if you have a CS6 or an Auto. Sounds like you really like your set-up, may have to copy you this summer.
(CLS6 /w 73k miles here)
Old 06-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
hue_hustler, glad to help. However, the rear lower shock mount bushing is already included with the Konis. It is integrated into the rear shock. That's why I said that the shock upgrade would take care of it.

Eyvindar, I have a CL-S6. I ordered them for the V6 model of Accord as that is the only one that Autoanything.com covered. They were part # 51859-88 and they lower a V6 Accord 2.2in in the front and 1.75in the rear. Given that the 3.2CL Type S springs lower an Accord a little as is, you can expect slightly less of a drop when these springs are used on the CL. I even put mine on the highest perch setting for now. If I lower it to the lower perch setting, it won't be because it doesn't have the performance I'm after, it will just be for looks. I'm a ricer like that.