Steering Wheel Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Steering Wheel Noise

I noticed this past weekend that when I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left, then back towards the right I hear a weird noise. It sounds kine of like a small BB is bouncing inside. The sound seems to be coming from right behind the HFL buttons on the steering wheel.

Has anyone else experienced this? I made an appointment with my dealer to have it checked out, but it would be nice to go in with some explanation so I don't get brushed of with the usual "it's normal" crap. Something's gotta be loose inside the steering wheel.

Heck, while there I'm going to have them check out the vibrating noise my glove box door makes, and the rattling noise in my rear wheel well.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ottoman101
I noticed this past weekend that when I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left, then back towards the right I hear a weird noise. It sounds kine of like a small BB is bouncing inside. The sound seems to be coming from right behind the HFL buttons on the steering wheel.

Has anyone else experienced this? I made an appointment with my dealer to have it checked out, but it would be nice to go in with some explanation so I don't get brushed of with the usual "it's normal" crap. Something's gotta be loose inside the steering wheel.

Heck, while there I'm going to have them check out the vibrating noise my glove box door makes, and the rattling noise in my rear wheel well.
Correction: The ticking/bouncing sound is coming from behind the cruise control buttons.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correction: The ticking/bouncing sound is coming from behind the cruise control buttons.
I have found nothing searching google about this. Time to take it in and duplicate the problem while at the Service Department.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Just an educated guess but it is probably the clock spring (aka cable reel). There is not much else in there to make a noise when turning although I suppose someone could have left a loose screw inside. The clock spring is a coiled spring that maintains electrical contact to the airbag and steering wheel controls when turning the steering wheel. It winds in and out of a plastic holder that it could be hitting or it may have been installed improperly. Because it is a potential safety issue I am sure they will pursue it aggressively.

Last edited by Dorsey; 03-06-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've noticed the same clicking or bouncing 'bb' recently coming from the steering wheel when turning the wheel rapidly (i.e. during parking maneuvers). I also hear a small but irritating vibrating 'rattle' coming from the same area when driving on rough pavement. To me it sounds like its coming from the area in the center of the steering wheel (horn/airbag). Your loose screw suggestion may be right Dorsey. Ill bring it up when I take it in for its first service next week.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NutznBoltz
I've noticed the same clicking or bouncing 'bb' recently coming from the steering wheel when turning the wheel rapidly (i.e. during parking maneuvers). I also hear a small but irritating vibrating 'rattle' coming from the same area when driving on rough pavement. To me it sounds like its coming from the area in the center of the steering wheel (horn/airbag). Your loose screw suggestion may be right Dorsey. Ill bring it up when I take it in for its first service next week.
I have a service appointment next week too. Let's see what they say.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Cruisin'

I have a service appointment next week too. Let's see what they say.
Initially was told it was 'normal'. I was not accepting that; the noise started a few weeks ago and I have had the car since November (now with 4k miles). I did mention the clock spring/cable reel possibility that Dorsey suggested. Service tech took it out for a drive and heard the 'clicking' when turning also. Apparently was unable to correct. As this could be a safety issue, they will be contacting Honda/Acura Tech Support for further instructions to correct. In the meantime I am driving a loaner; another '13 RDX with 10k miles on it. Engine is smooth as silk and makes absolutely no noise when turning the steering wheel.

Will keep you posted.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the update. The dealer wants Tech Support to tell them if it is a known problem with a fix or if they will pay for "exploratory surgery" (they will). Still betting on the clock spring.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NutznBoltz
As this could be a safety issue, they will be contacting Honda/Acura Tech Support for further instructions to correct.
Will keep you posted.
Tech Support instructed the drivers airbag replaced. Ordered last week; gets in this week. Should get car back shortly with steering wheel noise resolved. Will update.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Great. Glad it is getting fixed. Can't imagine what is rolliing around inside an airbag but it can't be good.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Instructor

My cars been at the dealer service about 8 days now. In all fairness it was Easter last weekend, so it's a little delayed. I spoke to them on the phone and they dont know how to fix the rattling inside the steering wheel. They said they had to consult with Acura to find out how to proceed. So I'm still waiting.

As for the other items, they replaced one of my rear struts, and added a felt lining to inside edge of the glove box door so it wont rattle either.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My cars been at the dealer service about 8 days now. In all fairness it was Easter last weekend, so it's a little delayed. I spoke to them on the phone and they dont know how to fix the rattling inside the steering wheel. They said they had to consult with Acura to find out how to proceed. So I'm still waiting.

As for the other items, they replaced one of my rear struts, and added a felt lining to inside edge of the glove box door so it wont rattle either.
Sorry to hear about the delay. Seems that by now they should have just replaced the entire steering wheel assembly. Did they at least give you a decent loaner?

Also, was the felt liner in the glove box based on a TSB, or did they just do it on their own?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Angry

Originally Posted by saxman48
Sorry to hear about the delay. Seems that by now they should have just replaced the entire steering wheel assembly. Did they at least give you a decent loaner?

Also, was the felt liner in the glove box based on a TSB, or did they just do it on their own?
I just got off the phone with the dealer. They can't fix the steering wheel and they wont replace it. Total BS. A $40K shouldn't have something loose rattling around inside the steering wheel. I'm going to speak to the manager but he isn't in till Monday. My other option is to just pick the car up today and take it to a different dealer.

Yes, they gave me a 2013 MDX Tech as a loaner.

I havent seen what they did to the glove box yet, but I noticed the MDX has a felt lining inside the door. I dont know if it was a TSB.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
OFF TOPIC: Place your hand on the steering wheel while turning the car on. My wheel slightly moves. I notice my TSX does the same thing. I assume it must be the electric steering coming on line.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Ok so new update. They were able to take apart the steering wheel (per Acura's recommendations) and found a piece of tape on a cable that wasnt supposed to be there. That must have been what was fluttering around inside when I turned the wheel. Anyway the sound is gone so I'm happy.

And about the glove box, they glued on the felt at two contact points. No more vibrations. I dont think it was a technical bulletin.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Cruisin'

Picked up car last Thursday. Drivers airbag was replaced as Acura Tech support dicktated. Took over a week but loaner (another 2G RDX) was nice. No more 'ticking' when turning, or 'rattling' when on rough pavement coming from steering wheel. So far so good.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Ok so new update. They were able to take apart the steering wheel (per Acura's recommendations) and found a piece of tape on a cable that wasnt supposed to be there. That must have been what was fluttering around inside when I turned the wheel. Anyway the sound is gone so I'm happy.

And about the glove box, they glued on the felt at two contact points. No more vibrations. I dont think it was a technical bulletin.
Sounds like the tape was on one side of the cable on the cable reel and was being drawn in and out of the cable reel housing as you turned the wheel.

The manufacturers have a rattle kit consisting of various sizes and shapes of peel and stick foam and felt, cable ties and split plastic tubing. They are used to stop miscellaneous squeaks and rattles when customers complain. I got one with the Sat tuner I ordered for my Titan but the instructions called for using only 3 or the 20+ pieces in the kit.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
I also hear a pretty annoying ticking sound coming from the steering wheel when I'm in motion. What I discovered is it goes away once I put some pressure on the top of the steering wheel horn, but because of the rough idle, it returns after a while. It sounds like there's something rubbing inside at the top of the wheel or the top of the wheel is not screwed in or glued in tight enought.

Good thing is we drove around with the Acura tech and he heard it as well, so he asked us to bring the car in again next week.

Again, no problems on the loaner RDX.

It's a bit frustrating with all these minor fit/finish issues (brake squeel, ticking, rear suspension etc.) but hopefully I'll get these sorted out soon...BTW, I really want to consider the TLX as my next car, but I might start spending more time on the Audi/BMW/Infniti boards.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I brought my 2013 RDX to the dealer 15 days after purchasing it to look into a ticking/rattling noise coming from the steering wheel, especially when driving on bumpy roads.

They tightened the airbag reel cable and the noise was gone for a couple of days. I brought to the dealer again and this time they replaced the same cable. After a few weeks since my last visit the rattling noise came back.

I'm bringing it back to the dealer shortly and will also ask them to check the rearview camera as it doesn't display green (any green grass shows as brown/grey).

It may be just coincidence but in the 3 occasions the rattling noise started shortly after adjusting the telescoping steering wheel.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am experienceing the same noise from steering wheel, sounds like a spring binding up. Now very loud but it is annoying!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My third attempt to get this fixed, went to a different dealer, Service writer came out & said they would look onto it. I suggested cable reel...no response, picked up from service, noise still there!
I went and asked for someone with good hearing to listen. The lead mechanic hopped into the passenger seat, I told him we would drive 20 feet & he would hear it. I did a parallel parking move, he said "Cable reel!"

Is this a labor intensive item to fix. Me selling dealer stone walled me twice, the new one didn't seem to eager to do the fix. It goes in next Friday after part arrives!
Thanks to all for the info!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my RDX 1 year ago. Had the noises in the steering wheel. First time dealer said can't duplicate. Second time, I drove over there when it was doing it and made them listen. They replaced the airbag. Started again (different type of noise) but still in the steering wheel. They replaced the cable reel with a new one #77900-T1G-A21 and it seems to be working.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents if it helps someone out.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MEGAREP
I did a parallel parking move, he said "Cable reel!" Is this a labor intensive item to fix.
Dealer's do fine on warranty work so I doubt if they were trying to avoid the job. More likely they were not sure what it was and did not want to do all that work and find out they were wrong and not get reimbursed. Sounds like you got the right guy in the lead mechanic. I put a power steering rack in my 98 integra and had to remove the airbag, cable reel and steering wheel (the wheel does not have to be removed to replace the cable reel). I thought it was a big job but the pros probably don't.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

I too have the same noise coming from my steering wheel when turning hard right. Mentioned it during an oil change, service dept the tech did not hear anything. Few weeks later and still making the noise, went in and asked for a tech to come for a drive with me. He heard it and said it is the clock spring. He was able to replicate the sound while moving, or turning the steering wheel at a stop. They have ordered the part and will be replacing it in the next week or two.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

New cable reel (aka clock spring) installed, noise is gone.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

Steering wheel creaking

My 2013 RDX also makes a creaking/clicking noise in the steering wheel area. It is repeatable turning the wheel about 300 degrees in either direction. Once the spot is reached, turning the wheel back and forth over than spot produces the sound repeatedly. The cable reel assembly has been changed twice but the noise returns within a few days each time. I wonder if there is something with the airbag or a label or tape on the cable as some other posts have mentioned.

On this third trip for the noise, they are saying it is normal as compared to other RDX on the lot. Noises like this should not exist in a premium brand car.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by etc25
Noises like this should not exist in a premium brand car.
At this point I've ruled out Acura as a premium car brand. They're more at the level of Nissan.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:05 AM
Intermediate

Okay, after having the cable reel assembly replaced multiple times, I took a closer look at the steering wheel and noticed that the horn cover was misaligned. The gap was bigger on one side. I pointed this out to the service advisor and he got approval to replace the airbag bag assembly which contains the horn cover (center cover f steering wheel). The noise finally went away and has been gone for over a month now. I was seriously thinking about getting rid of the car until I was able to advise the service advisor.