My car may be possessed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car may be possessed

I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD. Thursday night I was putting air in the tires, so I had it in accessory mode so I could monitor the tire pressure. At one point, there was a sort of click or pop under the hood, but I didn't think anything of it at the time. I finished after about ten minutes and went to turn the engine on. There was a click, there was no crank, and then the dash threw alerts saying the ABS system failed and the hill assist system had failed. I tried to start the engine maybe four or five times and it kept reporting the same errors (for no reason at all, I was very hopeful that THIS time the engine would turn over). After the second or third attempt, the left headlight started to flicker. After the third or fourth attempt the left headlight went out entirely. Then the dash lighting started to flicker. Then the cabin lights started to flicker. At this point, I was unable to turn the accessory mode off and the engine still wasn't cranking. I got out of the car and all the lights, internal and external are flickering. I also couldn't do anything that required power, like opening the trunk. After about ten minutes, the lights dimmed and eventually went out. I called a dealership and they told me to "reset" the car and get it towed to the dealership immediately. Without any suggestion as to how we might do this, we disconnected the battery. When the tow truck got there, the driver hooked up a jumper box and the car started right up. The jumper box reported no problems with the alternator and the battery was charging. The tow truck driver was able to drive the car onto the flatbed and we went to the dealership. When the driver went to unload the car, it started right up and was no longer reporting any issues. I left the car with the dealership over the weekend (I'll be picking it up in the morning) and they found absolutely nothing wrong. I'm guessing any diagnostic codes would have been reset when the battery died/was disconnected. The service writer said they tested everything they could think of, but mostly no codes, so there's nothing they can do. I had the car in the dealership two and half weeks ago and at the time, the battery tested just fine when they did their routine checks.

I suppose it's possible this was a fluke, but I can't say I have any confidence this issue won't come up again, and then the battery dies and wipes out any codes and once again, the dealership won't be able to do anything. Does anyone have any ideas about what I might be dealing with?
Old 10-12-2015, 04:13 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,137 Likes on 814 Posts
How old is the battery on your car ?
Old 10-12-2015, 05:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,612 Likes on 6,651 Posts
Sounds like a typical case of a battery dying and and electrical issues arising because of said battery. If you're using one of those portable air pumps connected to the cigarette lighter, start the car rather than just leave it in accessory mode. Also replace your battery.

Also not possessed
Old 10-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Your car is possessed......................failing battery is the demon!!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Battery was last replaced in February 2012.

This time, when putting air in the tires, I was using a bicycle pump, so nothing was plugged into the car at the time.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
in perfect conditions; a battery can last up to 4 years.

in not so perfect conditions; 3 years or less.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
When you swap out the battery for a new one it's going to be worth it to check all the wiring, especially the grounds. Corrosion build up or loose connections can also cause these symptoms, so if something looks excessively corroded or dirty then clean it up. It is possible that the battery is fine and it was just a corrosion/looseness issue, but like everyone else said, it's at or near the end of its life anyway.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's your battery......I have 09 AWD and had same thing happen....all same symptoms, called dealer, AAA. I used my wife's car to jump it...went to AZ and bought battery and whataya know started right up no warning lights, nothing....took to dealer nothing showed in codes. They noted the symptoms and said the flickering driver light was new to them. Been a lil over 1 yr and no problems.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:39 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
in perfect conditions; a battery can last up to 4 years.

in not so perfect conditions; 3 years or less.

Agree, sounds like a failing battery.. OP change it now before the weather gets colder..
Old 10-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,612 Likes on 6,651 Posts
Originally Posted by normallywho
Battery was last replaced in February 2012.

This time, when putting air in the tires, I was using a bicycle pump, so nothing was plugged into the car at the time.

You pump up your car with a manual pump?!?!

Regardless.. back to topic: change your battery.. I know Halloween is coming and all but no, your car is not possessed.. If you're still not convinced though, go to the nearby church, and ask the priest to perform a Holy Water car wash. Then make sure to wax it right away to ensure the Holiness is locked in tight.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:45 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi

You pump up your car with a manual pump?!?!

Regardless.. back to topic: change your battery.. I know Halloween is coming and all but no, your car is not possessed.. If you're still not convinced though, go to the nearby church, and ask the priest to perform a Holy Water car wash. Then make sure to wax it right away to ensure the Holiness is locked in tight.
I know, I was thinking the same thing when I read this again..
Old 10-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'll look to get the battery replaced soon. I also got a small jumper unit just in case.

I do have a powered pump, but it's not worth the effort of unraveling all the wires and moving the pump from one side of the car to the other and then bundling it all back up. For just a few pounds per tire, I can rip out a few pumps on the bike pump.