faster windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally had some time to open up my doors & spray lube on the window tracks. There is a huge difference. I wouldn't consider the windows "fast", but they are MUCH faster than they were before I lubed them. I used the spray chain lube as some have recommended here. Thanks very much for everyone's posts on this!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Cruisin'

yea def worth it. major improvement thats almost unbeleivable
Thanks alot man!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mizouse
well me and my friend Sam got around to WDing my windows to make them go up faster. They do go up faster but nothing insane. I have videos comparing the before with the after, but i dont have a server to post them onto. Anyways onto the guide.

1. First you need to get a small screw driver and open up screw cover for the door handle

2. Next you unscrew the screw behind it, place this screw in a place you wont lose it. I suggest the cup holder.

3. Using the same process you did to take off the screw cover for the door handle repeat the same thing for the door grab/handle.

4. Then uncsrew the screw behind the cover and place that in a safe spot.

5. Carefully pry out the window controls from the door.

6. Next disconnect the cables behind the window controller. If its hard to take out the larger grey plug you can use a small screw driver and shimmy it out of the socket.

7. Next you want to take out the door lock plastic piece. To do this you have to open the door handle and then pry out the door lock piece.

8. Disconnect the cable behind the door lock piece.

9. Now you can remove the door panel. Grab the door panel from the bottom and give it a tug outwards to losen up all the clips holding it in place. Fyi there are clips holding the panel all around except for the top. You will have to use quite a bit of force but be carefull not to use too much force your you might break something.

10. After all the clips are disconnected you can lift the door panel out of the grove thats holding it in.

11. Next disconnect the security light cable from behind the door panel.

12. Disconnect the courtesy light cable from behind the door panel.

13. For me it was easier to remove this plastic tarp to get access to good lubing spots. But i didnt want to cut into it, so i carefully peeled it off.

14. You can if you want to make it easier to lube up the tracks by removing the door grab/handle support from the door. You do this by unscrewing the 2 screws. fyi you dont need to do this on the passenger side door, i only did it for the driver side door cause it made it a bit easier.

15. Now you can finally start lubing up the tracks. You should plug in the window control switch while you do this so you can work the lube into the tracks after spraying. these are the spots where i applied lube to.

a. First i lubed up the middle track and roller while the window was rolled down.

b. Then with the window rolled up i applied lube to the track and rollers on the front of the door. I also sprayed lube onto the tracks when the window was down as well. This picture is looking down into the door from the top of it.

c. Looking in from the top of the door i sprayed lube onto the track when the windows was rolled down.

d. The final thing i lubed up was the cable and a small roller that pulls up the window into the close position. This is located between the track in the front of the door and in the middle of the door.

16. After you're done lubing up the door, you can now reassemble the door. Clean up any lube that might dripped to the inside of the door. Disconnect the window controller. Then double check to see if any of the clips are still stuck in the door and remove them and place them back into the door panel. To put it back together reattach the door grab/handle brace onto the door and then reattach the plastic tarp to the glue (i just rubbed it to warm it up so the glue would get sticky again, make sure you reseal this tarp good otherwise water might get in and start rusting up stuff and messing with the electrical components. ) connect the security light and the courtesy light and place the door lock cable and the window cables thru their respective holes and then put the door panel into the groove on top of the door first and bang on the door all around to make the clips pop back into their holes. Aftewards you reconnect the window cables to the window controller and seat that back into the door grab/handle and then screw it back into place, and then slide the cover back over the screw. Finally you reattach the plastic door lock piece by first opening the door latch and then sliding it thru and then reseating it and screwing it back into place and putting the cover on it.

17. Repeat for the passenger door. fyi there is no security cable to disconnect and the window controller has only 1 cable instead of 2 attached to it.

For me i had the hardest time controlling the spray of the WD40 so i said screw it and got it all over the windows. Some windex will easily clean this up. And make sure after you clean up the windows to wipe the felt while the window is rolled down otherwise you'll get more grease onto the windows. If you could find the motor you might want to spray that as well so the motor runs easier. But after you're done you can enjoy your faster windows.

If you have anymore questions feel free to post. If you guys find this usefull hopefully a mod will sticky this
Hi, I really Like the way you show the steps, what I was wondering if you can show how to replace the in-dash CD/Radio with a new one, cuz I'm have this perticular problem with mine.
I just wanted to change it, but don't want to break any of the trims and everything, I have TL 2.5L 1997 it has a stock Bose CD/Radio.
I would really appriciate if you can help me with it.
Thanks
Sarkaar
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sarkaar
Hi, I really Like the way you show the steps, what I was wondering if you can show how to replace the in-dash CD/Radio with a new one, cuz I'm have this perticular problem with mine.
I just wanted to change it, but don't want to break any of the trims and everything, I have TL 2.5L 1997 it has a stock Bose CD/Radio.
I would really appriciate if you can help me with it.
Thanks
Sarkaar
Nice thread jacking attempt. Do a search and you'll find plenty of other threads regarding your issue.

~Cheers~
Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 PM
A generally loveable guy

Exclamation Xd

Originally Posted by Go90go
Nice thread jacking attempt. Do a search and you'll find plenty of other threads regarding your issue.

~Cheers~
lol owned.

Anyway, to get back on topic, listen to those who say NOT to use WD-40 on the tracks. I used it on mine a while back, and while it worked great at first, it caused all sorts of horrific problems after a few weeks. I'm going to get silicone lube tomorrow so i can redo my work. Hopefully it will work out better.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
10th Gear

Thanks a bunch dood! but I have a question about the motor itself. Why is it that sometimes When i bring the window up, it makes a noise like its struggling to come up. It sometimes stops and wont move. Sometimes, it makes a screeching sound between the window and the glass.

are my windows possessed?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
havent tryed it but here a add on legend forums. copy and pasted

Shin-Etsu It is a special very low viscosity silicone lube. This stuff is only available from your Honda dealership and is what they use on all there seals. This stuff is truly amazing I cleaned my channels out got rid of all that lithium grease and put this in. WOW my windows now slide up and down effortlessly seriously like butter, my windows have never worked so well. Now ive only been using a few days so I cant testify on the longevity of the cure but from my research it will last for a long time and is very easy to re apply. This stuff can also be used on all your seals and will help extend the life of all your door seals. Its alittle pricey at 20$ a tube but it is well worth it for all you will slowww rolling windows try it out.

Bought it from
HONDA-ACCESSORIES.COM

Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Str8 Home built

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
yeah thats great man my windows arent slow any more thanx for tha idea. lol.. yeah i used white grease insted tho. beacus wd-40 drys out after a whlie and white grese doesnt. i used wd-40 and it lasted like a week and the started to get slow again. so i used white grease and ever sence i havent had to do it again.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Instructor

I will try this most definitely. Thanks alot.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:18 PM
4th Gear

yo i appreciate the effort but its just too complicated, or atleast it looks like it is
Old 12-20-2008, 07:38 AM
levelfamily Ent.

thanks a lot dude..
Old 12-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by oldskool2424
yo i appreciate the effort but its just too complicated, or atleast it looks like it is
its a good time to start learning..so that way you can figure everything else in the future.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by KrayzieDxC
its a good time to start learning..so that way you can figure everything else in the future.
You can't learn how to do things if you don't try it.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 PM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
grease recomendations

My window is getting really SLOW. What's the best grease to use that I can get at schucks or napa? I see various listed in thread but wanted to see what lasted the longest as it looks like WD40 dries up in the long run.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
That Japanese Silicone lube should work good! I have tried white lithium grease, too.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. I'll try the lithium grease.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
5th Gear

WD40 was designed to disperse water (hence the WD) in electrical circuits (I think), not to lubricate. Problem with grease is that it collects crap (dust ...) and becomes thicker and less slick. Graphite sprays use alcohol to disperse graphite, the alcohol evaporates leaving the graphite (think pencil lead), which is friction-less and works well as long as it doesn't get washed off. They use it on sticky locks.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Advanced

I did the lithium lube fix & it worked really well the first time. My driver's side window is really slow again (actually it won't "start" opening when it all the way up). I lubed it up again with no change in window operation this time around. I will take the door panel apart & look for window adjustments next, I guess.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by dan jacobsen
I did the lithium lube fix & it worked really well the first time. My driver's side window is really slow again (actually it won't "start" opening when it all the way up). I lubed it up again with no change in window operation this time around. I will take the door panel apart & look for window adjustments next, I guess.
Yeah its a good idea to take our doors apart and clean out all the crap that accumulates there. Besides, our doors are easy to take apart too.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

I tried this once with a spray aresol based lubricant, however it didn't last as long as i had hoped.

I tried a couple days ago with silicon lube from a squeeze tube. As long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty, this worked amazingly. Just push it into the grooves of the tracks with your fingers, and around the pulleys at the top
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

im too scared to do this... knowin me ill prally mess somthin else up
Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

You cannot mess anything up.

Just get a good lubricant for the windows because WD-40 will dry up quickly when not used regularly.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:22 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for this info I hate my slow windows
BTW I know this is a old thread
Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by KrayzieDxC
havent tryed it but here a add on legend forums. copy and pasted

Shin-Etsu It is a special very low viscosity silicone lube. This stuff is only available from your Honda dealership and is what they use on all there seals. This stuff is truly amazing I cleaned my channels out got rid of all that lithium grease and put this in. WOW my windows now slide up and down effortlessly seriously like butter, my windows have never worked so well. Now ive only been using a few days so I cant testify on the longevity of the cure but from my research it will last for a long time and is very easy to re apply. This stuff can also be used on all your seals and will help extend the life of all your door seals. Its alittle pricey at 20$ a tube but it is well worth it for all you will slowww rolling windows try it out.

Bought it from
HONDA-ACCESSORIES.COM

Shin-Etsu Silicone Grease is the stuff to use.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aside from Krayzie's lube (don't even think about it!), where can I pick up other grease/lubes that you guys mention?

NAPA? AUTOZONE? O'REILLYS? WAL-MART? LOWES? HOME DEPOT?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Is there a known problem of the front windows not rolling up or down because of bad lubrication? Or am I just better off to completely replace the motors?

They "work", but stop moving after about a centimeter of movement.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I am pretty sure thats motor but you can try lubricating the tracks, maybe they are jammed but I doubt it. Its gonna be a jammed motor..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 PM
deej0121

Have lubed up 2x, will have to replace window regulator now

I have done the lube thing 2x now. Worked fantastically the first time, but the 2nd time my window (just the driver's side front) started slowing down then getting stuck right at the top (it gets stuck going up or down) reapplying the lube (the white spray-on lube recommended in the DIY) did not improve window operation. I am going to replace the window regulator myself when I have the $$ to buy the regulator. Has anyone replaced their regulator? Looks fairly straightforward based on exploded drawing on Delray ACURA's parts site. Thanks!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HAs anyone tried silicon lube where the rubber meets the window and see if that works because the window gets stuck because it is too dry usually sticks more when after you wash the car.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks a lot man. Not using it for windows but for the speakers. I've been wondering how to install these new speakers I got and didn't know how to take off the door panel, but now I do! Thanks again
Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Cruisin'

Is WD-40 the best lubricant to use?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
No.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 PM

and wow, cant believe this thread is still alive.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Radical Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I asked the local Honda dealer what they use on window tracks. White lithium grease.$4 for q large spray can through them. Seeks to work good, so far.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 09-29-2010, 02:21 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted by 9632tl
I asked the local Honda dealer what they use on window tracks. White lithium grease.$4 for q large spray can through them. Seeks to work good, so far.
^ That is the best stuff to use.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 PM
10th Gear

Sorry if this has already been adderessed but since you have the door all apart and are dealing with the tracks, i'd reccommend cleaning out the tracks with a paper towel or shop rag. When i did this i got a lot of old build up along with some random grime or whatnot. Anyway after i was satisfied they were clean i lubed the complete track with thick/gel like silicon grease, cycled windows up/down and had great results(stopped and jammed before). Just my .02. Props to the OP for the good write up though/
Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! Thread is still helping people 4 yrs later!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
WOW...this is a thread revival. I'd highly suggest just using some shin etsu grease...put on a glove and rub it in the channel on the top portion of the door, some of it will get on the glass and ease the slide regardless.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Wow forgot about this thread

I no longer have a first gen TL (I have a 3rd)

Anyways don't use WD-40. Use something like a silicone grease or whatever.
My windows before I sold my TL were very slow.

Quick Reply: faster windows