AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX Tires, Wheels, & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-tires-wheels-suspension-130/)
-   -   How often do you rotate your tires? (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-tires-wheels-suspension-130/how-often-do-you-rotate-your-tires-669260/)

Tigerriot 09-19-2006 10:37 AM

How often do you rotate your tires?

I took my TSX in for it's first oil change recently, and I was told I should have the tires rotated. I told them i'd wait til 10,000 miles.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to pay $40 every 5,000 miles to rotate your tires, or not?

cibs 09-19-2006 10:42 AM

i don't think you ahve to rotate them that often... and hell for $40 i'd rather do it myself... 20 minutes of work tops...

LuvMyTSX 09-19-2006 10:46 AM

Every 10k miles for me.

CarbonGray Earl 09-19-2006 10:52 AM

$40 bucks is too much! The local quick lube place by me does it for 20, but even then I like to do it myself. It such a simple thing to do.

I personally go about every 10k....but I would like to go every 5, I'm just lazy.

Tigerriot 09-19-2006 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cibs
i don't think you ahve to rotate them that often... and hell for $40 i'd rather do it myself... 20 minutes of work tops...

Yeah, I hear ya. The only thing is i'd always be afraid I wouldn't do something right, or i'd strip a bolt trying to take one off, or put one back on.

Is is pretty fool proof, or do you need to know a thing or two about cars? Don't they "balance" them or something?

feelgood13 09-19-2006 10:54 AM

mine rotates automatically when i drive - all four of them.

CGTSX2004 09-19-2006 11:03 AM

:ponder: Considering that I've only managed to put about 4500 miles on my car since I put my summer tires on, I'll probably rotate them when I put the summer wheels and tires on the car again next spring.

jlukja 09-19-2006 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by feelgood13
mine rotates automatically when i drive - all four of them.

:tomato:

aaronng 09-19-2006 11:09 AM

I rotate it myself every 5000 miles.

jwood_06TSX 09-19-2006 11:25 AM

Or what you can do, which is what i did, was go to a place like Just Tires, or NTB with about 20 mins til they close and ask them when the next time they can do it is. I got luck and the dude working there was like we'll just throw it up there real fast and at the end, i said how much, and he told me just to tip the 2 guys that did it really fast. So i threw them 5 bucks each and they said to come back whenever i wanted......they really liked my car ;) Said he'd hook me up on tires too......god thing too with winter coming!

cibs 09-19-2006 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tigerriot
Yeah, I hear ya. The only thing is i'd always be afraid I wouldn't do something right, or i'd strip a bolt trying to take one off, or put one back on.

Is is pretty fool proof, or do you need to know a thing or two about cars? Don't they "balance" them or something?

it is pretty damn fool proof.... just make sure you keep track of what tire came from where and goes where... especially once you go to directional tires (which you don't have to worry about considering you have OEMs)...

they only balance them when they install the tires on the rim, to rotate all it takes is just swtiching them around... 2 jack stands and a jack and i'm good to go... it's a total of 20 nuts to undo and redo...

not that shabby at all...

you really can't mess it up... just remember to start the nuts by hand when you're putting them back on to make sure you don't cross thread them and you'll be fine

afici0nad0 09-19-2006 11:54 AM

do you swap for winters each season? if so, might as well rotate during each season's swap.

CCColtsicehockey 09-19-2006 12:10 PM

I rotate mine never since the wheels are staggered and have directional tread.

Reach 09-19-2006 01:19 PM

Hrm, what is proper 'rotating' procedure? I'm at nearly 15k and never rotated, I should probably do that!

do you just swap FR-FL & RR-RL, or do you X them up like FR-RL & FL-RR?

CCColtsicehockey 09-19-2006 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Reach
Hrm, what is proper 'rotating' procedure? I'm at nearly 15k and never rotated, I should probably do that!

it depends if they are a single directional tread or not.

TSX2345 09-19-2006 01:30 PM

I have heard tire shops say every 5000 miles re-balalnce, rotate & alignment. Which is what I do, since the shop offers the re-balance and rotation for free and I have the lifetime alignment.

A little tire care preventative maintenance

CarbonGray Earl 09-19-2006 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by TSX2345
I have heard tire shops say every 5000 miles re-balalnce, rotate & alignment. Which is what I do, since the shop offers the re-balance and rotation for free and I have the lifetime alignment.

A little tire care preventative maintenance

That seems fine for a rotation, but that's a little too frequent for alignment - I usually do it every 15k, but its more dependent on what I feel at the wheel. If everything feels straight and true, I usually put alignment off.

fdl 09-19-2006 01:57 PM

Every second oil change

cheepung 09-19-2006 02:31 PM

Do you have any Sears Auto Center nearby? It costs $15 per wheel for balancing-for-life and rotate for free since they have to take the wheels off.

They have no limit (every 5K or months), you can do it as many as you want as long you mention vibration on wheel.

For every 5K, i have oil change at Acura. Balancing and rotation at Sears. I usually take a day off to do all on the same day.

TSX2345 09-19-2006 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
That seems fine for a rotation, but that's a little too frequent for alignment - I usually do it every 15k, but its more dependent on what I feel at the wheel. If everything feels straight and true, I usually put alignment off.

Tires aren't cheap so might as well take care of them, and your car at the same time.

CarbonGray Earl 09-19-2006 03:29 PM

Tires aren't cheap so might as well take care of them, and your car at the same time.

I just noticed you have lifetime alignment, by all means, do it your way. I only do it my way because that would be expensive if I had to shell out $60+ every 5k for an alignment.

Plus I'm still on OEM rubber...the sooner I can make the argument for getting out of them, the better.

jerzpwr 09-19-2006 04:10 PM

I just noticed you have lifetime alignment, by all means, do it your way. I only do it my way because that would be expensive if I had to shell out $60+ every 5k for an alignment.

Plus I'm still on OEM rubber...the sooner I can make the argument for getting out of them, the better.

:agree:

TSX2345 09-19-2006 04:39 PM

Lifetime alignment definately worth it :thumbsup:

CarbonGray Earl 09-19-2006 04:44 PM

Lifetime alignment definately worth it :thumbsup:

How much did you pay and where did you get it?

TSX2345 09-19-2006 04:51 PM

How much did you pay and where did you get it?

Discount Tire Centers I believe it was like $180. Pays for itself after a few alignments

Lone Starr 09-19-2006 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Reach

For OEM Tires, the manual says to do:
FR->RR
RR->FL
FL->RL
RL->FR

Basically the fronts move direclty back, and the rears go to the oposite front.

For directional tires, you rotate fronts to backs directly with no cross.

CarbonGray Earl 09-19-2006 05:35 PM

Discount Tire Centers I believe it was like $180. Pays for itself after a few alignments

Not bad, I'll have to look into it when I get new shoes....I think dealers charge 69+ so that is a really good deal.

Newplay1 09-19-2006 08:52 PM

I'm anal I have rotated them every other oil changes..

KapVu 09-19-2006 09:01 PM

I paid $60 bucks for lifetime tire rotation at Discount Tires. I rotate about every 3,000 miles but they recommended every 6,000.

JAXFLTSX 09-21-2006 08:07 AM

I rotate mine every 2000 miles or 6 fill ups at the gas pump. I am getting 475 miles out of a tank of gas Sweet. Thanks Injen. and the 6mt.