AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Switching to synthetic...do I need to flush? (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/switching-synthetic-do-i-need-flush-538157/)

dee diddy 09-24-2003 03:07 AM

Switching to synthetic...do I need to flush?

i'm almost at 30,000 km and a change is due. the cars always been on conventional from the 1st 2 free servicing and the semi-major type 3 servicing. would be ok to just dump in the synthetic or would i need to flush out the old oil with something???

russianDude 09-24-2003 07:10 AM

Re: Switching to synthetic...do I need to flush?

Originally posted by dee diddy
i'm almost at 30,000 km and a change is due. the cars always been on conventional from the 1st 2 free servicing and the semi-major type 3 servicing. would be ok to just dump in the synthetic or would i need to flush out the old oil with something???
No flush needed. In fact, you can mix regular and synthetic 50/50 if you want,. they are fully compatable,

jmai 09-24-2003 01:30 PM

It's recommended that u do an oil change w/ oil flush additive b4 u switch to full synthetic. Some conventional oils r not compatible w/ synthetic oil causing ur seals to break n leak.

TLKrazey20 09-24-2003 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Switching to synthetic...do I need to flush?

Originally posted by russianDude
No flush needed. In fact, you can mix regular and synthetic 50/50 if you want,. they are fully compatable,
:rolleyes: You trying to blow dudes engine up??? GOD I hope your not a mechanic:nono:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jmai It's recommended that u do an oil change w/ oil flush additive b4 u switch to full synthetic. Some conventional oils r not compatible w/ synthetic oil causing ur seals to break n leak.[/QUOTE ]

:thumbsup: this is the guy I'd take my car to

dee diddy 09-24-2003 03:17 PM

Originally posted by jmai
It's recommended that u do an oil change w/ oil flush additive b4 u switch to full synthetic. Some conventional oils r not compatible w/ synthetic oil causing ur seals to break n leak.
well the conventional oil that's always been in my engine has been whatever the dealer uses. any suggestions on what good oil flush additives out there i could try? and how would the application work? this would be added along with the new synthetic oil?

hellas 09-24-2003 03:49 PM

russianDude is right. flushing is for special circumstances or for idiots who dont have a clue

russianDude 09-24-2003 03:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Switching to synthetic...do I need to flush?

Originally posted by TLKrazey20
:rolleyes: You trying to blow dudes engine up??? GOD I hope your not a mechanic:nono:
It's time for you to do some readings on modern synthetic oils.
This is a good place to begin your education:

www.mobil1.com (FAQ section):

Q:
Do I need to flush my engine before converting to Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™?

A:
No. There is no special preparation necessary when converting from conventional oil to Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is compatible with conventional oil should it be necessary to mix the two. However, diluting it with conventional oil will reduce the superior performance characteristics of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™.

Back in the days synehtic oils were not fully compatable, thats why people have this myths about "engine flush"

dj5 09-24-2003 04:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Switching to synthetic...do I need to flush?

Originally posted by russianDude
It's time for you to do some readings on modern synthetic oils.
This is a good place to begin your education:

www.mobil1.com (FAQ section):

Q:
Do I need to flush my engine before converting to Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™?

A:
No. There is no special preparation necessary when converting from conventional oil to Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is compatible with conventional oil should it be necessary to mix the two. However, diluting it with conventional oil will reduce the superior performance characteristics of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™.

Back in the days synehtic oils were not fully compatable, thats why people have this myths about "engine flush"

BlueXTC 09-24-2003 04:44 PM

no you do not have to flush your engine to use synthetic oil

dee diddy 09-24-2003 05:55 PM

thx for all the interesting answers all. i was gonna use M1 so guess i got my answer.