KJ TL-S's 2007 ASM Type S Progress Thread (Updated 8/13/17)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 539 Posts
So I'm thinking I'm going to start doing more of my own maintenance, and an oil change seems like the perfect way to start that.

I'm trying make sure I have the things I'll need and wanted opinions to see if there is anything else I'm forgetting.

I have a floor jack and jack stands, and I'm picking up some 5W-20 Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Extended Performance oil today, along with an oil wrench filter just in case.

I know I at least need a catch pan, and probably a new funnel for adding the new oil. I also need to figure out what oil filter to go with, was thinking a purolator from Advance auto maybe.

Anything else I'm missing??
Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Sounds like you have it all! I usually go for the filter + 5 quarts of oil deal at a local place.

This past time I went with Royal Purple through Amazon though. Last time I got Mobil 1 and their filter.
The following users liked this post:
KJ TL-S (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 09:54 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Sounds like you have/will have it all!

I usually go with OEM Honda filter, ~$6-$7. Crush washer as well...
KJ TL-S (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Thanks guys.

How is this for a filter? I think I've heard good things about Purolator and seems like a pretty good price on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive

Actually, since I think I'll just be getting the extended performance Mobil 1 oil from Walmart on a consistent basis, I think I may just get the matching filters. Probably can't go wrong with that.
Amazon.com: Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter (Pack of 2): Automotive Amazon.com: Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter (Pack of 2): Automotive

Last edited by KJ TL-S; 09-16-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
i always go with a royal purple oil filter, i hear they are great and in my research they seem pretty well built.

make sure to get some of those blue shop towels, you will make a mess your first time haha. you'll get better and better at judging where that oil shoots out to, but expect to get a little dirty the first few times.

and don't forget the crush washer!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Drifting

^^Good advice, thanks. And where is the best place to get the crush washers?

Gotta love Advance Auto...2 of the M1 Extended Performance oil filters, a huge box of the blue towels, bottle of Griot's car wash, and some lube for an upcoming brake job, all for under $35 with coupon.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-16-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 09-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Use Mobil 1 myself, good stuff, usually buy it from wally world since it's about 23 bucks for 5 quarts. That's hard to beat.

Need a 17mm socket for the oil drain plug and torque wrench to torque it once you get all the oil out.. think it's 29 or 33 ft-lb. lol can't remeber, I did oil changes on both cars this weekend.

If you take the passanger side wheel off it's super easy to get to the oil filter. I use the bottom half of a empty milk jug to catch the oil that comes out of the old filter as I take it off.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
Use Mobil 1 myself, good stuff, usually buy it from wally world since it's about 23 bucks for 5 quarts. That's hard to beat.

Need a 17mm socket for the oil drain plug and torque wrench to torque it once you get all the oil out.. think it's 29 or 33 ft-lb. lol can't remeber, I did oil changes on both cars this weekend.

If you take the passanger side wheel off it's super easy to get to the oil filter. I use the bottom half of a empty milk jug to catch the oil that comes out of the old filter as I take it off.
Wally World is where I got it too. Paid $27 for the extended performance 5 Qt jug. Good to know on the socket and torque specs - I'll check my service guide and see what it says.

Hadn't thought about taking the wheel off - is that really necessary?

Good advice on the milk jug - any opinions on a catch pan for the main oil drain? Just whatever they have in store at Advance when I pick up the filters?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ TL-S
Nope not at all. You can get away with just turning the wheels all the way to the right. Never tried taking the tire off myself but I guess doing so would help you get some more leverage room if you are struggling to get it off.

Don't forget to drop the car back down off the jacks before you fill it back up with oil. Fill it up to the top indicator on the dipstick and then run the car for a minute at idle to fill up the filter with oil. Then check the dipstick again and add oil as needed. (You probably know all this but I guess it doesn't hurt to say it anyway).

I don't know if its a standard practice or not but I like to dip my finger in the used oil and smear a small amount onto the rubber gasket on the new filter to prevent it from tearing/twisting when its tightened down. I also clean off the metal surface on the car that the filter seals against. A lot of dirt and grime gets stuck in that area and cleaning it helps prevent leaks. Usually all it takes is a clean rag and some elbow grease to clean it up. You don't want to go to town with sandpaper or anything that drastic since the seal relies on the smooth finish to seal properly.

I absolutely love your car btw. It makes me want to mod mine even more….but that will have to come later in life
KJ TL-S (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

i use this as my catch can, it has a large opening to catch everything and it's easy to transport it for proper disposal.

RhinoGear 11837 - Oil Drain Pan | O'Reilly Auto Parts

no need to take off the wheel, just turn it all the way to the right
run your car for a minute if it's been sitting for a while
clean oil filter interface to car
spread oil on oil filter gasket before putting it back on
turn it about 1/4 to 1/2 turn after initial seating

here's a great tip about taking off the oil filter. buy one of those gallon sandwich bags (the freezer kind) and bag the oil filter before you take it off. it's a little challenging to keep it on as you're screwing the filter off, but it catches all of the oil that comes out of the filter

for crush washers i just buy them from any honda or acura dealer
KJ TL-S (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SgtSir440
Nope not at all. You can get away with just turning the wheels all the way to the right. Never tried taking the tire off myself but I guess doing so would help you get some more leverage room if you are struggling to get it off.

Don't forget to drop the car back down off the jacks before you fill it back up with oil. Fill it up to the top indicator on the dipstick and then run the car for a minute at idle to fill up the filter with oil. Then check the dipstick again and add oil as needed. (You probably know all this but I guess it doesn't hurt to say it anyway).

I don't know if its a standard practice or not but I like to dip my finger in the used oil and smear a small amount onto the rubber gasket on the new filter to prevent it from tearing/twisting when its tightened down. I also clean off the metal surface on the car that the filter seals against. A lot of dirt and grime gets stuck in that area and cleaning it helps prevent leaks. Usually all it takes is a clean rag and some elbow grease to clean it up. You don't want to go to town with sandpaper or anything that drastic since the seal relies on the smooth finish to seal properly.

I absolutely love your car btw. It makes me want to mod mine even more….but that will have to come later in life
Thank you for all the information, as well as the kind words!

I haven't done an oil change since shop class in high school, so feel free to assume I know basically nothing, except that there is no reason I'm not capable of doing some basic work like this. Your advice was helpful for sure

Originally Posted by sockr1
i use this as my catch can, it has a large opening to catch everything and it's easy to transport it for proper disposal.

RhinoGear 11837 - Oil Drain Pan | O'Reilly Auto Parts

no need to take off the wheel, just turn it all the way to the right
run your car for a minute if it's been sitting for a while
clean oil filter interface to car
spread oil on oil filter gasket before putting it back on
turn it about 1/4 to 1/2 turn after initial seating

here's a great tip about taking off the oil filter. buy one of those gallon sandwich bags (the freezer kind) and bag the oil filter before you take it off. it's a little challenging to keep it on as you're screwing the filter off, but it catches all of the oil that comes out of the filter

for crush washers i just buy them from any honda or acura dealer
Thanks Dave. I'll pick up that pan, there's an O'reilly's on my way home from work. Looks like a good size too, could do an oil change and a 1x3 tranny fluid change at the same time. And I figured the dealer for the washers, I just wanted to make sure.

Sounds like good advice for the gallon bag to remove filter, I'll give it a shot. The new filter should have oil in it when I install it right?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
The new filter should have oil in it when I install it right?
Nope the new filter will be completely dry and you will put it on the car exactly how it comes. This is why you must check the oil level after initially filling the engine with oil and letting it idle for a minute. The engine will pump the oil into the filter when it's running (.4 quarts or something like that) which will cause the level on the dipstick to fall. Top it back off and you're good to go
KJ TL-S (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks amazing with such simplicity!
KJ TL-S (09-18-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Gorgeous new pictures
KJ TL-S (09-18-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Dave. I'll pick up that pan, there's an O'reilly's on my way home from work. Looks like a good size too, could do an oil change and a 1x3 tranny fluid change at the same time. And I figured the dealer for the washers, I just wanted to make sure.

Sounds like good advice for the gallon bag to remove filter, I'll give it a shot. The new filter should have oil in it when I install it right?
you're welcome! yea i usually fill the filter up about 3/4 of the way, not so much that it spills when i go to install it. not necessary to have oil in it but i do it and i think most people do

i need to do my oil change tonight so this is a good refresher haha
KJ TL-S (09-18-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Wally World is where I got it too. Paid $27 for the extended performance 5 Qt jug. Good to know on the socket and torque specs - I'll check my service guide and see what it says.

Good advice on the milk jug - any opinions on a catch pan for the main oil drain? Just whatever they have in store at Advance when I pick up the filters?
I rotate tires when doing an oil change so it's not to bad to take the tire off.

I like the zip lock bag idea!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by blk 3g type s
Looks amazing with such simplicity!
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Gorgeous new pictures
Thanks guys!

you're welcome! yea i usually fill the filter up about 3/4 of the way, not so much that it spills when i go to install it. not necessary to have oil in it but i do it and i think most people do

i need to do my oil change tonight so this is a good refresher haha
Ah, gotcha, thanks.

Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
I rotate tires when doing an oil change so it's not to bad to take the tire off.

I like the zip lock bag idea!
That makes sense. If I could rotate my tires, I'd probably go that route too.

So on the thought of combining activities, would it be just as easy to also do a 1x3 ATF change when I do the oil change? Anything required for that besides fluid?
Old 10-01-2014, 04:19 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dope progress thread man!
KJ TL-S (10-13-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 08:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmtruong
Dope progress thread man!
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by MegaIntensity

Well, finally got to that oil change, 249 miles into the MID yelling at me for being overdue. This was not only my first DIY oil change, but my first time even putting it up with a floor jack/jack stands, so I took my time learning what I was doing and getting comfortable with everything.

Overall, everything went smoothly. The floor jack barely cleared the front air dam (until it lifted up a bit, it was definitely bending the air dam back slightly.) Thankfully, it did make it under, and I was able to keep moving.

The drain bolt was on there tight as hell, but a google search came up with a tip of using the floor jack to push up the wrench and voila, bolt was loose.

Besides that, easy sailing. Was glad I picked up a oil filter cap wrench as that made it simple to break the old filter free, and now she's running nice and smooth with that Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic 5W-20 w/ matching filter.

Name:  20141011_145152_zpsnxpbrv0j.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  99.6 KB

Followed everything up with a nice wash, and felt accomplished for the day! Next step, a 1x3 for my ATF since I didn't have the fluid when I was doing this, and possibly brakes.

Oh yea, also saw a white Lamborghini Aventador that night, no time to take a picture....but damn that thing was impressive. First time seeing one of those on the street.
Undying Dreams (10-14-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
KJ...invest in some good car ramps. I have a set that was made for Corvettes and my car has A-spec kit and lowered,makes changing oil a breeze.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Safety Car

Well, finally got to that oil change, 249 miles into the MID yelling at me for being overdue. This was not only my first DIY oil change, but my first time even putting it up with a floor jack/jack stands, so I took my time learning what I was doing and getting comfortable with everything.

Overall, everything went smoothly. The floor jack barely cleared the front air dam (until it lifted up a bit, it was definitely bending the air dam back slightly.) Thankfully, it did make it under, and I was able to keep moving.

The drain bolt was on there tight as hell, but a google search came up with a tip of using the floor jack to push up the wrench and voila, bolt was loose.

Besides that, easy sailing. Was glad I picked up a oil filter cap wrench as that made it simple to break the old filter free, and now she's running nice and smooth with that Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic 5W-20 w/ matching filter.
i just did my oil change this weekend but i was 800 miles over haha. usually on top of it but been busy with work.

your jacking process is pretty easy, i have to either drive onto some boards or lift up one side at a time to put boards under the wheels, otherwise i can't get my low profile jack to clear the air damn. then once it's on stands, i have to use my jack and block of wood to get the jack even higher haha. it's a process for sure!

glad it went well!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Nice work, Ramps do make it easier. I saw a black Aventador the other day when I went to lunch it was a great looking car. Tried to take a picture but it didn't come out good. Did you decide on the roof spoiler?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Old 10-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
must feel good to get it done..

i take the lazy way out...pay people
Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Race Director

Nice work, KJ! Glad you got it all done!

Not happy to say this but my MID was yelling at me for 1200 miles.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom Champagne
KJ...invest in some good car ramps. I have a set that was made for Corvettes and my car has A-spec kit and lowered,makes changing oil a breeze.
I actually have some Rhinoramps, but I didn't think I would clear them. Plus, I was nervous I would somehow not drive up them correctly. Since the jack can just barely make it, I'll probably stick with this method, it was pretty simple.

i just did my oil change this weekend but i was 800 miles over haha. usually on top of it but been busy with work.

your jacking process is pretty easy, i have to either drive onto some boards or lift up one side at a time to put boards under the wheels, otherwise i can't get my low profile jack to clear the air damn. then once it's on stands, i have to use my jack and block of wood to get the jack even higher haha. it's a process for sure!

glad it went well!
Boards are a good idea actually, for some reason didn't think of that.

Originally Posted by Stephen00TL
Nice work, Ramps do make it easier. I saw a black Aventador the other day when I went to lunch it was a great looking car. Tried to take a picture but it didn't come out good. Did you decide on the roof spoiler?
Actually, funny you mention that, I decided over the weekend I wanted was going to put it on, but then house stuff / yard work took up more time than expected. Maybe this weekend I'll toss it on there.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell

Originally Posted by 96SC4
must feel good to get it done..

i take the lazy way out...pay people
It did! But then the wife's car needed an oil change...and I took it to NTB for a $19.99 oil change/tire rotation. Figured if I'm not running any special oil, why do it myself when its cheaper to have them do it.

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Nice work, KJ! Glad you got it all done!

Not happy to say this but my MID was yelling at me for 1200 miles.
Haha, it starts to make you feel bad! Actually, since I'm now running this extended performance full synthetic, are people actually running it for 10-15K miles, or still changing it every 6 or 7k?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I still do 5 to 7K no matter what with synthetic.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Race Director

^ What he said. I just go by the MID and in the past I change it before it gets to 0% life but I've been incredibly unmotivated to even touch the car recently. But having the synthetic gave me a cushion so I know it wasn't going be terrible if it went past the MID's recommendation.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 PM

I'm not lazy, I'm just slothy.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Cool, thats what I was thinking too. Hard to feel comfortable going that long with a change. I'll probably do it as soon as it's warm enough this coming spring.

Back to that roof spoiler - can I just use the supplied adhesive/tape that came with it from that OEMBMW eBay seller, or do I need to pick up something more?
Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Cool, thats what I was thinking too. Hard to feel comfortable going that long with a change. I'll probably do it as soon as it's warm enough this coming spring.

Back to that roof spoiler - can I just use the supplied adhesive/tape that came with it from that OEMBMW eBay seller, or do I need to pick up something more?
I just used the supplied adhesive and tape. It's easier if you can have two people help do it to get it aligned right. I also added new photos of the roof spoiler in my progress thread

Last edited by Stephen00TL; 10-14-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Yea, the 3M double sided tape is the bomb. I've had mine on with that tape for years-no problems.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Cool, glad to hear it. I'll probably drag the wife out to the garage this weekend and have her give me a hand holding it down so that I get it in place just right, then I'll tape it down with painter's tape overnight.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Glad to see the Sealant is holding up nicely...

Name:  20141014_173448_zpsqy8xptdr.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  20141014_173512_zpsbrgdwxn9.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  87.2 KB
Old 10-15-2014, 10:23 AM

Looking beady!

If you haven't done it yet, run a bead of window weld 3m adhesive down the center of the spoiler between the two pieces of tape. Not TOO much, so it doesn't seep out, but enough to make contact with the glass. ggesq recently had his fly off while driving having only used the tape.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Does that stuff make it super permanent? I guess I don't anticipate taking it off ever, but is there any way to remove it after using window weld?

Edit: Damn, does the stuff only come in big $25 tubes too?? A quick search pulled up only the 10.5oz bottles.

Last edited by KJ TL-S; 10-15-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 AM

one time use, basically...once you open it the tube gets hard over time anyway.

Honestly, it is SEMI permanent...you can still use a piece of wire or fishing line and kinda saw it off...but if you're unsure about sticking it on there forever, do the tape only. Once you've made up your mind, maybe reapply with window weld if it ever flies off!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Nice job getting the oil done yourself. I was actually a bit surprised to see that someone with that much work done to his car has never done your own oil change, or even jacked the car up. I always cringe with the thought of someone else touching my car lol, even just the thought of some mechanics dirty clothes and hands in my interior ahhhhhhh lol. I have issues though when it comes to my cars haha.
As for the oil drain bolt being extremely tight, it should never be that tight and it means whoever did it last cranked the shit out of it. The bolt and even oil filter should come off with relative ease....just for future reference, but im sure you didnt go cranking them with a breaker bar.Tranny oil is super easy on these cars. Well for the 6mt's it is, and I have done tranny fluid in my wifes 04 Accord and I didnt even have to jack the car up I was able to reach under it was great!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Nice job getting the oil done yourself. I was actually a bit surprised to see that someone with that much work done to his car has never done your own oil change, or even jacked the car up. I always cringe with the thought of someone else touching my car lol, even just the thought of some mechanics dirty clothes and hands in my interior ahhhhhhh lol. I have issues though when it comes to my cars haha.
As for the oil drain bolt being extremely tight, it should never be that tight and it means whoever did it last cranked the shit out of it. The bolt and even oil filter should come off with relative ease....just for future reference, but im sure you didnt go cranking them with a breaker bar.Tranny oil is super easy on these cars. Well for the 6mt's it is, and I have done tranny fluid in my wifes 04 Accord and I didnt even have to jack the car up I was able to reach under it was great!
Haha, I know, I'm not proud that I've never done this kind of work before, but I had always used a local shop to take care of things that needed the car in the air. Happy to say that won't always be the case now.

And I hear you on not wanting greasy dirty clothes all over the car, and people overtightening things. Hopefully I'll start to alleviate that - ATF sounds like its really easy too, just removing a plastic piece and a bolt really.

Quick Reply: KJ TL-S's 2007 ASM Type S Progress Thread (Updated 8/13/17)