Calling Transmission Experts - Increasing 5AT Durability and Power Handling

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
Calling Transmission Experts - Increasing 5AT Durability and Power Handling

Hey folks, just wanted to start a quick brainstorming thread.

I've been over a number of older threads regarding the performance and durability of the 5AT when handling "bigger" (I don't want to say big ) power, including some of Libert's and IHC's thoughts on the matter.

I have plans to either go fully built engine or FI in the future, but I would like to avoid swapping to a 6 speed and keep the drivetrain as it is with the auto, which likely means a rebuild of the tranny at some point. Hypothetical wheel horse power would be 400.

This being said, what are the options with the BDGA to increase its power handling capacity. Here is what I came up with off the top of my head:

Higher stall torque converter - IPT Performance Transmissions will be my source as they seem to have excellent feedback across the board

Raybestos GPX Frictions - Seems to be the only real "better than OEM" clutch options for the BDGA. May explore ALTO if they have options for the BDGA as well

Redling Racing Type F / D4 64% Mix - Self explanatory, increases clutch holding power

Transmission cooler - Again, self explanatory.

Now the above having been mentioned, what further options do we have? I'm unaware of any valve kits for the BDGA to increase line pressure / further potential upgrades for the clutches.

Any and all suggestions other than "SWAP TO 6MT" are welcome.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Buy another car with a better modding platform..

FWD, No-LSD, Archaic 5 speed auto?
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Confusing Name Guy

^ This is precisely the type of comment I would like to avoid. Please leave such comments to yourself - I am WELL aware of what car I'm driving. I am asking for a productive discussion of the potential of the 5AT pushed to its limits, not a "buy a better car" thread. There are plenty of those on this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by N1h1l1ty:
marcar74 (08-22-2022), twigglius (05-04-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
get a large transmission cooler. heat will kill the clutch packs. I used this with an inline mag filter for my brother gen6 accord v6 with the glass tranney. Hasn't blown up yet. Also keep up on the fluid change.

cooler
Amazon.com: B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler: Automotive Amazon.com: B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler: Automotive

filter

Amazon.com: Raybestos Inline Magnetic Automatic Transmission Filter 3/8": Automotive Amazon.com: Raybestos Inline Magnetic Automatic Transmission Filter 3/8": Automotive
Old 04-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Confusing Name Guy

So I dug up some gold from 2013. Here's what Bert says on the topic:

Originally Posted by libert69
400whp is roughly the limit the for the 5AT. during tuning and coming up on 450whp the trans developed what appeared to be a slip in the in 3rd gear towards the upper rpm range. still unknown if it was actual hard part failure or some type of electrical issue. reason being is that it only happened under full throttle. partial throttle there was no slippage.

my calculations after all was said and done suggested that the drive train loss for the auto and big power was around 25%...and that number would keep going higher the more power we made. math was based off a given psi and timing. after the 6spd swap was done and the same psi/timing was used, the power to the wheels went up big time.

the tq converter just couldnt put the power to the floor.

I have a re-stalled/built tq converter from IPT performance for sale if your interested.

If boosting your auto is the route your going then keep the power around 400 at the wheels and upgrade the tq converter with a higher stall to get you into the power band much quicker. stock stall speed is 2100 and my converter is 3000. still completely streetable and still locks up on the highway.

i could go on for days about the auto trans and big power. bottom line, keep the power below 400, new pressure switches. type F fluid is madatory (i always used amsoil super shift, same viscosity as oem and would not flare like straight redline fluid) and add a trans cooler

edit - im still a firm believer in increasing line pressure in the auto would hold more power. stock clutches never burned up and the fluid was never burnt either. figure out a way to manipulate line pressure and youll hold more power.
And IHC's comments on the matter:

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I agree with Bert.

First you have to define "stronger". No one has broken a hard part that I'm aware of. The problem comes from slipping clutches.

Type F fluid and pressure switches are all we can do to help the clutches from slipping and it works well as evidenced by Bert's high mileage 5at handling 400whp very well.

I agree that added line pressure needs to happen. I've almost got it done but I stopped working on it since the IRS decided to steal from me again.

Once we get the clutches to stop slipping, and the power levels rise, it will eventually start breaking hard parts. The auto has the potential to be stronger than the manual if for no other reason than less shock due to the converter.

I agree with Bert, get a 3,000 stall converter, it will make a huge difference off the start and you likely won't fall out of vtec on the 3-4 shift assuming it's not locked.

I highly recommend if someone was going to build a high power auto and do a converter, get with one of the big time converter companies. Let them cut it open and do it right. You will get a MUCH more efficient converter meaning more power to the ground and less power being converted to heat. Also, the use of an 8" or 9" converter will make the engine rev very quickly. My usually slow revving GN revs quicker than just about any modern car because of the low weight of the torque converter. It helps acceleration and at the risk of sounding like a ricer, it sounds better when it revs very fast and drops very fast. Spend the money on the torque converter, it will pay off in several ways.
Amsoil super shift might be the way to go versus Redline Type F - while I know the viscosity issue can be fixed with mixing the lightweight with regular Type F, I'm thinking this will save me the trouble.

I also know Richie for RV6 purchased an Alto clutch pack but that thread discussing further potential for the 5AT went nowhere fast - I'd love to hear from Richie (and may email him) to see if he ever went anywhere with the install on his auto. Nonetheless, that thread pointed me in the direction of the TC upgrade and fluid change being a good start.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
get a large transmission cooler. heat will kill the clutch packs. I used this with an inline mag filter for my brother gen6 accord v6 with the glass tranney. Hasn't blown up yet. Also keep up on the fluid change.

cooler
Amazon.com: B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler: Automotive

filter

Amazon.com: Raybestos Inline Magnetic Automatic Transmission Filter 3/8": Automotive
Thanks azn! Definitely on my list - nice to have direct feedback on the B&M coolers, I know that was on IHC's suggestion list as well cooler wise.

I think I will get in touch with IPT this week or the following to ask if there are potential options for increasing the line pressure / upgrading the valving on the BDGA. I don't think its been done before (at least I couldn't dig anything up) but hell, I'm constantly being told that 5AT "cant do anything" - I'd like to pioneer the way if I can
Old 04-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts
I will be watching this thread for sure, we have 2 high power automatics a 2009 TSX with over 450 WHP that has lasted 20k miles so far and the 2007 TYPE-S that is 410 WHP at 5PSI and ready to go over 500 with the new Apexi AVCR boost controller, I want to see if I can swap a manual posi diff into my auto box
Old 04-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by N1h1l1ty
Thanks azn! Definitely on my list - nice to have direct feedback on the B&M coolers, I know that was on IHC's suggestion list as well cooler wise.

I think I will get in touch with IPT this week or the following to ask if there are potential options for increasing the line pressure / upgrading the valving on the BDGA. I don't think its been done before (at least I couldn't dig anything up) but hell, I'm constantly being told that 5AT "cant do anything" - I'd like to pioneer the way if I can
no problem. Just don't blow up my inbox with questions. Brother car use Castrol import-ATF. Its semi-syn
Old 04-27-2015, 12:11 AM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
Sorry Utah, LSD will not swap into a 5AT. Been down that road already...

OP, three things I swear by:

1. High performance ATF (Redline or Amsoil). Personally, I used Amsoil but a majority of the forum uses the other. The older 5AT (06 and below) will definitely benefit even more so than the newer autos (07 and up) from its ability to not be broken down like the factory fluid from the heat.

2. Fluid cooler. The cooler the fluid stays, the longer it lasts and maintains its performance benefits. Watch for pressure drops due to long/oversized lines and also coolers that are too large can be counterproductive in this sense too. Warmer climate conditions may benefit from adding a temp controlled cooling fan.

3. No throttle during shifts. This one doesn't really affect the DBW system too much because the ecu automatically closes the TB during shifts anyways but not 100%. Depending on the year and model TL you own (as well as numerous other factors that the ecu sees) the TB plate will close under shifting to protect the trans but you can improve this feature even more by momentarily releasing the pedal during shift points. This of course is easier to do when not competing with another car (and your pride at stake) but is def a smart thing to do at other times when spirited driving or joy riding. This is probably the most beneficial to those with FI.
The following 2 users liked this post by yungone501:
twigglius (05-04-2015), UTAH Type-S (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 06:55 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by yungone501
Sorry Utah, LSD will not swap into a 5AT. Been down that road already...

OP, three things I swear by:

1. High performance ATF (Redline or Amsoil). Personally, I used Amsoil but a majority of the forum uses the other. The older 5AT (06 and below) will definitely benefit even more so than the newer autos (07 and up) from its ability to not be broken down like the factory fluid from the heat.

2. Fluid cooler. The cooler the fluid stays, the longer it lasts and maintains its performance benefits. Watch for pressure drops due to long/oversized lines and also coolers that are too large can be counterproductive in this sense too. Warmer climate conditions may benefit from adding a temp controlled cooling fan.

3. No throttle during shifts. This one doesn't really affect the DBW system too much because the ecu automatically closes the TB during shifts anyways but not 100%. Depending on the year and model TL you own (as well as numerous other factors that the ecu sees) the TB plate will close under shifting to protect the trans but you can improve this feature even more by momentarily releasing the pedal during shift points. This of course is easier to do when not competing with another car (and your pride at stake) but is def a smart thing to do at other times when spirited driving or joy riding. This is probably the most beneficial to those with FI.
I think I'm going to give Amsoil Supershift a go - I don't have a whole lot of miles on the car all things considered (62k miles) and the transmission was babied by its previous owner so this tranny might be an ideal test bed.

3 Is an interesting point - I usually drive in "sport mode" and shift manually, and I tend to lift off the throttle when shifting already. What I would really like to do in the far distant future is get rid of DBW altogether - I recall there being a turbo TL built locally that was actually converted to cable throttle and run off a Haltech PS2000 for the engine making well into the 500 range.

Built by dynamotorsports in Toronto
Old 04-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by UTAH TSX
I will be watching this thread for sure, we have 2 high power automatics a 2009 TSX with over 450 WHP that has lasted 20k miles so far and the 2007 TYPE-S that is 410 WHP at 5PSI and ready to go over 500 with the new Apexi AVCR boost controller, I want to see if I can swap a manual posi diff into my auto box
I haven't checked the TSX tranny, but afaik, your son has nothing to really worry about with the Type S - Honda seems to have seriously improved the 07 and 08 transmissions (not an entirely new design but a rework of the BDGA based on the RL I believe. I cant seem to find the transmission name though, might be BYGA?). I think like Libert you guys might benefit from higher stall torque converters and pretty much all of Robert's suggestions - a good ATF fluid and cooler will definitely go a long way to improving the life of the Honda 5 speed. I think an overwhelming number of early BDGA transmission problems were due to the awful fluid Honda originally used prior to DW1