4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Top speed limiter and ecu tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did not run out of road; Limiter cut in at 119. (automatic)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Intermediate

Is there a different limiter on the automatics? Would the Sport Mode change the result?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Appears that there is not a counterpart to APR and the other German car tuners ?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by simplemonk
Appears that there is not a counterpart to APR and the other German car tuners ?
because it's a natural aspirated engine...

you will not get the same types of gains....which was explained in post #2
Old 03-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
<!~~ has a 4G. I've had more than one, have gone to the limiter in both. Neither were stock, current one has many more modifications than the previous one. They both felt stable at 135.

List of what I have, some installed, some pending installation: kTuner, CT-E intake, bored TB, port matched thermal gasket, PNP'd IM, port matched thermal gasket, PNP'd runners, RDX injectors, PNP'd J37A4 heads, reground cams, 3 angle valves, PCD, Cat-less Jpipe, LW crank, tensioner and alternator pulleys, Rotora BBK (6 piston front/4 piston rear), TEIN SA coils (12k springs front/10k rear) and forged wheels wrapped in mich pss. I'm pretty sure my car is up to spec to be driven responsibly at 155 or above, but wtf do I know?

Edit: forget a mod.
I don't think anyone is arguing the car isn't capable or isn't stable. The issue is the roads you're doing it on. They are not maintained in a manner that guarantees the road can handle those speeds.

You also, if you're dumb about it, put others at risk. 135mph is significantly different than 80mph (speed limit in some areas). Time to react is less, vehicles perform differently and respond to smaller adjustments differently, etc

https://www.howacarworks.com/advance...reaction-times

http://copradar.com/redlight/factors/

The average reaction time is .7s to 3s

Using the best reaction time (.7s) and going 80mph your braking distance is 93ft

Going 135mph with the same reaction time your braking distance is 263ft

Source: http://www.countcalculate.com/cars-a...istance/result

*edit* And this is all perfect world scenario physics. Real life isn't going to be as generous.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 03-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Again, I answered this in the first reply. There are plenty of Honda/Acura tuning companies:

- Mugen
- Spoon
- Hondata
- Bisimoto
- etc

You are not, in any way shape or form, going to get similar increases to VW, Audi, BMW, etc because you're working on an NA (Naturally Aspirated) car.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

I understand that; that having been said, the fuel map, timing, ignition timing and speed limiter can all be tweaked
Old 03-12-2017, 03:38 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,140 Likes on 815 Posts
I understand that; that having been said, the fuel map, timing, ignition timing and speed limiter can all be tweaked
Like others have said, there is very little, if any, gain in terms of engine power, simply because the Honda engine is naturally aspirated.

It is true that the fuel-map/engine-timing/ignition-timing can be tweaked, and you may get a small power gain at some peak rpm, but you will also lose power at other rpm ranges.

To sum it up, it is not worth the money to waste on tweaking Honda engine parameters, since it is pretty much optimized at the factory.

However, if you can slap on a turbo-charger or super-charger, then the real fun begins.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:41 AM

yeah, something like 5 hp.

look into Ktuner...
which was suggested to you in post #2
Old 03-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
I don't think anyone is arguing the car isn't capable or isn't stable. The issue is the roads you're doing it on. They are not maintained in a manner that guarantees the road can handle those speeds.

You also, if you're dumb about it, put others at risk. 135mph is significantly different than 80mph (speed limit in some areas). Time to react is less, vehicles perform differently and respond to smaller adjustments differently, etc

https://www.howacarworks.com/advance...reaction-times

Braking Factors

The average reaction time is .7s to 3s

Using the best reaction time (.7s) and going 80mph your braking distance is 93ft

Going 135mph with the same reaction time your braking distance is 263ft

Source: Calculate stopping and braking distance- calculator, calculate

*edit* And this is all perfect world scenario physics. Real life isn't going to be as generous.
All great information, all moot points, you didn't address why the 4G TL specifically has that in place. Your response is broad and can apply to any vehicle, even those with no limiter at all. Other cars are not limited to 135, correct? Including other Acura's. The correct reason or at least a reason we certainly can conclude (without being in the boardroom/design team), as to why these cars are limited below 155, is because the tires they come with from the factory are V rated; unless equipped with optional (long since discontinued) HPT high performance summer tire package. V rated tires have a maximum listed speed of 149mph.

In the context of your response, you're making the assumption that a) the roads aren't properly maintained and b) he's not doing it on the track, neither of which the OP stated and EVEN if he did, those are still weak rebuttals as to why this vehicle has that limit in place.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 03-12-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

All great information, all moot points, you didn't address why the 4G TL specifically has that in place. Your response is broad and can apply to any vehicle, even those with no limiter at all. Other cars are not limited to 135, correct? Including other Acura's. The correct reason or at least a reason we certainly can conclude (without being in the boardroom/design team), as to why these cars are limited below 155, is because the tires they come with from the factory are V rated; unless equipped with optional (long since discontinued) HPT high performance summer tire package. V rated tires have a maximum listed speed of 149mph.

In the context of your response, you're making the assumption that a) the roads aren't properly maintained and b) he's not doing it on the track, neither of which the OP stated and EVEN if he did, those are still weak rebuttals as to why this vehicle has that limit in place.
I don't think they're moot - nothing prohibited Acura from installing better tires.

The TL is not a race car. (Sorry dudes, it's not)
The United States does not have any public unrestricted speed zones.
The TL was designed for US market by Acura (so not a BMW built/designed in Germany where they have the Autobahn and unrestricted zones or even a Honda designed/built in Japan)

So it's not a race car and the speed limits max out around ~80mph (70 here in VA) and going 80+ here can land you in jail.

While you're correct they could be doing it at the track, at least one posted this:

Originally Posted by WNY PAT
"I am lucky enough to have access to a long stretch of tar (about 1.5 miles total if you accelerate up the driveway to the service road) on occasion. "
Doesn't read to me like it's a track... And let's be honest, OP isn't doing it at a track either. And Mr. Joe (my new favorite member) absolutely isn't.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

People with a KTuner that have the IceBox, P2R spacers, exhaust, etc are only seeing <10hp gains tuned compared to the untuned maps.

You bought the wrong car if you think you're going to tweak timing and gain a bajillion horsepower.

Example:

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p.../#post15769674

+7hp and +5ftlb after installing and tuning with the ~$450-650 KTuner...

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 03-12-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Drifting

I don't think they're moot - nothing prohibited Acura from installing better tires.

The TL is not a race car. (Sorry dudes, it's not)
The United States does not have any public unrestricted speed zones.
The TL was designed for US market by Acura (so not a BMW built/designed in Germany where they have the Autobahn and unrestricted zones or even a Honda designed/built in Japan)

So it's not a race car and the speed limits max out around ~80mph (70 here in VA) and going 80+ here can land you in jail.

While you're correct they could be doing it at the track, at least one posted this:

Doesn't read to me like it's a track... And let's be honest, OP isn't doing it at a track either. And Mr. Joe (my new favorite member) absolutely isn't.
I don't know where the OP is doing these runs or intends to and I won't make an assumption. He didn't post it and as I previously stated wherever he is doing it is irrelevant, because other vehicles are not limited to this speed. In fact some vehicles have an even lower limit in place, what would you say about the reasoning for that in relation to the 4G's limit?

This quoted reply is also not favorable for your position. Whatever the 4G is, race car, not race car, trash can or luxury sedan it was made in the same facility, for the same market as the 3G and an MT 3G has a 150+ limiter. They both have similar power to weight ratios and in every measurable performance metric the 4G is superior.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know where the OP is doing these runs or intends to and I won't make an assumption. He didn't post it and as I previously stated wherever he is doing it is irrelevant, because other vehicles are not limited to this speed. In fact some vehicles have an even lower limit in place, what would you say about the reasoning for that in relation to the 4G's limit?

This quoted reply is also not favorable for your position. Whatever the 4G is, race car, not race car, trash can or luxury sedan it was made in the same facility, for the same market as the 3G and an MT 3G has a 150+ limiter. They both have similar power to weight ratios and in every measurable performance metric the 4G is superior.
A higher top speed limiter is literally nothing but a dick swinging contest. BMW even sells it as an option as part of the M-Sport package, increasing the limit (from 128 to 155mph) for some models.

The OP is asking why he can't gain 50hp by tuning the TL and not grasping the replies he's getting - this is not a person that's going to the track and definitely not one topping out at ~130mph on a straight at Laguna Seca.

The TL isn't a race car, it's not intended for the track - hence a very generous top speed far greater than any limit on a public road. I'm sorry you think you should be able to go 155mph in your TL, there's absolutely no reason for it. 16 year old me would agree with you though.

What is your reason for requiring a 130mph speed limiter be removed from the car? Other than driving recklessly to the grocery store?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Drifting

A higher top speed limiter is literally nothing but a dick swinging contest.
That's your opinion. It doesn't add any value to this conversation.
BMW even sells it as an option as part of the M-Sport package, increasing the limit (from 128 to 155mph) for some models.
Selling it as an option establishes what? Are you equating optional equipment and packages as "dick swing contest" material?

The OP is asking why he can't gain 50hp by tuning the TL and not grasping the replies he's getting - this is not a person that's going to the track and definitely not one topping out at ~130mph on a straight at Laguna Seca.
You may be right, but your basing this on what? An assumption? So if the OP went to a track once or has EVER been to a track, your argument has no merit, correct?

The TL isn't a race car, it's not intended for the track - hence a very generous top speed far greater than any limit on a public road.
Wrong. It's limited to that speed due to tires. If you don't understand why a manufacturer would skimp on equipment there's not much discussion to be had. You lost this debate the moment you decided you were going to give your emotion based opinion, claim moral high ground and side step the question. Furthermore you keep ignoring what I've very CLEARLY outlined. A MT 3G has a 150+ speed limit. That's not up for debate. That's a fact. A MT 4G has a 130 limit. A MT 4G is superior in every measurable performance metric, also a fact. Are you implying the 3G is a race car and so merits the 150+ limit? When you say "it's not intended for the track", is that based on anything factual or your opinion of what should and shouldn't be on the track, Acura at Pikes Peak 2013 ? Acura Connected Any car can be modified for track duty, obviously these dummies thought it's track worthy material. But they're just a race team made up of professional drivers and engineers, WTF do they know, right?

I'm sorry you think you should be able to go 155mph in your TL, there's absolutely no reason for it. 16 year old me would agree with you though. What is your reason for requiring a 130mph speed limiter be removed from the car? Other than driving recklessly to the grocery store?
For the same reason my 04 MT 3G had a 150+ limiter, because.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 03-12-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: To clearly quote.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

We clearly are going to disagree. My point on the BMW was that from the factory the standard limit is 128 - on par with our TL. You have to spend the extra money (several thousand) to get the upgraded wheels, tires, suspension, etc and have the limit moved.

Also, please do not compare your car to those Honda/Acura Motorsport division. They make a Pikes Peak Odyssey for Christ's sake. Why didn't you buy an Odyssey and race with that?

Originally Posted by HeartTLS
For the same reason my 04 MT 3G had a 150+ limiter, because.
Thanks for proving my point, you just want it to have it. Dick swinging contest.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 03-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
75 shot of nitrous and you are good to go
Old 03-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Drifting

We clearly are going to disagree. My point on the BMW was that from the factory the standard limit is 128 - on par with our TL. You have to spend the extra money (several thousand) to get the upgraded wheels, tires, suspension, etc and have the limit moved.
Wait, you mean you don't have to head to a track or make sure the roads are properly maintained to have the limit moved? Hmm, that's interesting. So if someone were to say upgrade the wheels, tires, suspension, etc, then it's okay to move the limiter? Oh okay, glad I meet your criteria for moving it.

Also, please do not compare your car to those Honda/Acura Motorsport division. They make a Pikes Peak Odyssey for Christ's sake. Why didn't you buy an Odyssey and race with that?

Thanks for proving my point, you just want it to have it. Dick swinging contest.

I didnt compare my car to anything. You stated the 4G isnt meant for the track. I didn't say whether it was or isn't. HPD on the other hand believe it is track worthy, again but they're just dummies and you're a guy on the internet. Glad that's settled. The fact that you think posting a picture of the Ody knocks my argument down illustrates how little racing knowledge you have. Racing is about categories, whomever decided to race the Ody believed it could be competitive within that category. I've never used the "phrase dick swinging contest" in my life, in the context of inner monologue, I don't compete against others, I compete against myself. And if you must know, I'm interested in how fast my car can get to the 130 limit, not exceeding it.

Edit: correction, I compared the 4G to the 3G. You still didn't address the 3G 150+ limit though. Care to? Though the reason not to is obvious.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 03-12-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
75 shot of nitrous and you are good to go
I ran a direct port 175 shot, fuel cuts off at 130. You're not going to surpass it by much, if at all.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Edit: correction, I compared the 4G to the 3G. You still didn't address the 3G 150+ limit though. Care to? Though the reason not to is obvious.
Who knows, anything you state is going to be speculation on your part as well. The vehicle was designed by an entirely different person than the 4G and the A-SPEC package was designed by yet another person. I'm not a 3G person, and I don't claim to be. Given the guy that did the A-SPEC suspension also helped design the NSX I'm going to wager that plays a slight role in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makoto_Tamamura

Gearing/transmission I'm sure comes into play as well - I don't care to look it up but imagine the TL-S has a slightly different ratios than the FWD TL. It also appears the 5AT TL-S is limited to ~130mph per this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-573420/page4/

It also appears (per TireRack) that the 2008 TL-S came standard with Michelin Pilot MXM4 which is a 'V' rated tire (~149mph)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:58 AM

i might be getting old at 30.....cuz that shit is scary going that fast...
I love my life!!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Who knows, anything you state is going to be speculation on your part as well. The vehicle was designed by an entirely different person than the 4G and the A-SPEC package was designed by yet another person. I'm not a 3G person, and I don't claim to be. Given the guy that did the A-SPEC suspension also helped design the NSX I'm going to wager that plays a slight role in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makoto_Tamamura

Gearing/transmission I'm sure comes into play as well - I don't care to look it up but imagine the TL-S has a slightly different ratios than the FWD TL. It also appears the 5AT TL-S is limited to ~130mph per this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-573420/page4/

It also appears (per TireRack) that the 2008 TL-S came standard with Michelin Pilot MXM4 which is a 'V' rated tire (~149mph)
Wrong. I post facts, backed up by evidence, you post information and your subsequent opinion on that information. The only facts you've accurately represented is that the 4G has a 130 limit in place lol. As to why, well you're still struggling with that. This is your best response so far, but this information also doesn't help your argument. My 04, MT, 3G, WITHOUT A-SPEC package, which I later installed, came standard with Bridgestone Turanza's. Guess what speed those are rated for? 168 mph. Guess what the limiter on that car is? 150+.

You stated you're not a 3G expert and neither am I, but I have the benefit of having owned 2. It's common knowledge among the 3G community that the softest 3G's made were the 07-08 base models, then the 07-08 AT Type-S. When you state "FWD TL", I don't know if you're referring to 3G or 4G. Assuming it's 3G MT, it's a no brain-er that the MT has more aggressive gearing.

I've said enough, I'm just beating a dead horse now.

Originally Posted by justnspace
I love my life!!
I see where you're coming from and wholeheartedly agree. Justin do you feel like an old 30 or young 30? I feel young as a mofo!
The following users liked this post:
CruzanTLSH-AWD (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
<!~~ has a 4G. I've had more than one, have gone to the limiter in both. Neither were stock, current one has many more modifications than the previous one. They both felt stable at 135.

List of what I have, some installed, some pending installation: kTuner, CT-E intake, bored TB, port matched thermal gasket, PNP'd IM, port matched thermal gasket, PNP'd runners, RDX injectors, PNP'd J37A4 heads, reground cams, 3 angle valves, PCD, Cat-less Jpipe, LW crank, tensioner and alternator pulleys, Rotora BBK (6 piston front/4 piston rear), TEIN SA coils (12k springs front/10k rear) and forged wheels wrapped in mich pss. I'm pretty sure my car is up to spec to be driven responsibly at 155 or above, but wtf do I know?

Edit: forget a mod.
I was waiting to see your response lol. I myself felt very stable doing 140 "In Mexico" and it was STOCK. No upgraded pads or anything at the time. If anything it hug a lot more than expected. But I'm curious you got those RDX injections why is that? I seen it's the go to for most Honda/Acura and did you upgrade your fuel pump? TEIN SA coils (12k springs front/10k rear) I have the stock rating why the upgrade? I was looking at getting the EDFC finally. And I could have swore the 6 speed was 145/150MPH for the governor? I know for sure I SEEN 140 in my 2011.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Wrong. I post facts, backed up by evidence, you post information and your subsequent opinion on that information. The only facts you've accurately represented is that the 4G has a 130 limit in place lol. As to why, well you're still struggling with that. This is your best response so far, but this information also doesn't help your argument. My 04, MT, 3G, WITHOUT A-SPEC package, which I later installed, came standard with Bridgestone Turanza's. Guess what speed those are rated for? 168 mph. Guess what the limiter on that car is? 150+.

You stated you're not a 3G expert and neither am I, but I have the benefit of having owned 2. It's common knowledge among the 3G community that the softest 3G's made were the 07-08 base models, then the 07-08 AT Type-S. When you state "FWD TL", I don't know if you're referring to 3G or 4G. Assuming it's 3G MT, it's a no brain-er that the MT has more aggressive gearing.

I've said enough, I'm just beating a dead horse now.
Ok Mr. Expert - why exactly does the 3G TL have a 150mph+ limiter? You're claiming tires are the only reason - I don't buy it. That's your opinion on why that's the limit but that's not statement from Acura saying "Hey guys, let's put Turanza tires on this thing and increase the speed limit to 150 - what you do guys think?" Please provide me something other than your opinion on why it has a 150mph limit.

Also, I didn't buy a 3G TL new, I didn't buy a 4G TL new either. I'm quoting what was found on TireRack for the OEM equipment tire - I'm sorry that TireRack gave me incorrect information.

FWD 4G TL, as I'm drawing a comparison between the 3G TL which only was available in FWD. Apples to apples.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Also, honest question HeartTLs - is the TL your only car? Is that why you're wanting it to be a little bit of everything?
Old 03-13-2017, 06:06 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
I love my life!!
God, going 80-90 is an everyday thing basically. 80 for sure. But once you reach 100, it feels so different. 120 even more so. The time I hit 135-140 it was incredible what everything around me was like. Crazy how fast and unreal everything felt. I would never even consider going past 100 in an open road.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:34 PM

to answer heart's question, I look like puberty never hit. freakin asian genes...making me look 16...I cant even grow a beard....
so...young 30. LOL

off topic, I know...so ban me!
wait, that's my Job! lol
Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Did not run out of road; Limiter cut in at 119. (automatic)
Is there a different limiter on the automatics? Would the Sport Mode change the result?
Don't know what to say SM, my 09' AT TL got well past 119 in sport mode, I believe and my 12' AT has as well, also in sport mode.

Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
I was waiting to see your response lol. I myself felt very stable doing 140 "In Mexico" and it was STOCK. No upgraded pads or anything at the time. If anything it hug a lot more than expected. But I'm curious you got those RDX injections why is that? I seen it's the go to for most Honda/Acura and did you upgrade your fuel pump? TEIN SA coils (12k springs front/10k rear) I have the stock rating why the upgrade? I was looking at getting the EDFC finally. And I could have swore the 6 speed was 145/150MPH for the governor? I know for sure I SEEN 140 in my 2011.
I got the RDX injectors because they're 310cc, which is more than our TL. Ideally you want your injectors working no harder than at 85% capacity during WOT. I did not upgrade my fuel pump. I've considered doing an E85 conversion, which would require a fuel pump and may other upgrades. The stock rating on TEIN SS and SA is 10k/5/k and imo it's way too soft and bouncy. Stock 4G AWD suspension is stiffer than TEIN. There are many benefits to having higher spring rates (stiffer coils) within moderation, these are a two of the benefits that appeal most to me, less body roll, less nose dive when braking. I also have EDFC but rarely use it. I set my dampening to 00/00 and forget it.

Ok Mr. Expert - why exactly does the 3G TL have a 150mph+ limiter? You're claiming tires are the only reason - I don't buy it. That's your opinion on why that's the limit but that's not statement from Acura saying "Hey guys, let's put Turanza tires on this thing and increase the speed limit to 150 - what you do guys think?" Please provide me something other than your opinion on why it has a 150mph limit.

Also, I didn't buy a 3G TL new, I didn't buy a 4G TL new either. I'm quoting what was found on TireRack for the OEM equipment tire - I'm sorry that TireRack gave me incorrect information.

FWD 4G TL, as I'm drawing a comparison between the 3G TL which only was available in FWD. Apples to apples.
I'll step back from the role of Socrates and give you my opinion as to why I believe tires is a limiting factor, if not the only limiting factor based on the evidence. I previously pointed out that AWD/MT 4G > ANY 3G as far as measurable performance is concerned and yet MT 3G's do not have this limit in place. The AT's are limited well below 150+, they also came standard with a different tire unless equipped with A-SPEC package. I forget what was the standard tire. It's a logical conclusion that instead of allowing AT 3G's with ASPEC kit the 150+ limit, and having to go through the trouble of increasing the limiter and indicating the required higher rated tires to handle the speed Honda just said "no". How are you going to allow the car to exceed a speed that standard equipment can't handle? It's a liability. EVERY car that has a 155 limit or above has tires rated to handle those speeds. Though not every vehicle that has tires to handle those speeds has that high a limit. Lets get into subjective stuff, a handful of members gave their unsolicited opinion on driving their 4G's to or beyond 130 and the consensus is, "it was stable", I concur. Not you, nor I were part of the design team and you're certainly not an engineer so all we can do beyond tires is speculate. If you believe for a moment that Honda/Acura care about you or other motorist well being beyond what is required by State governments, Federal Governments and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, and so they limited top speed to 130, you're delusional. Reference Grimshaw v. Ford Motor Co.

Edit: Forgot to address 3rd part of your quote. The only linear "apple to apple" comparison between 3G and 4G are the AT FWD models. You cannot make an "apple to apples" comparison of top trim (performance or otherwise) between the two, due to power train.

Also, honest question HeartTLs - is the TL your only car? Is that why you're wanting it to be a little bit of everything?
No, since early 2016 I also own a 2014, FWD, CRV, EX-L w/ Nav that's paid for; I frickin love this thing. I can park it anywhere and with a dedicated set of winter tires, it does very well in the snow. Prior to that and still to this day, I have access to my parents vehicles which include a luxury sedan (E350), eco boxes (Yaris & Prius), a convertible (SL 550) and a small SUV (Nissan Rogue), so I'm covered. That said, due to the cost of living in NYS, particularly for people living in NYC, having more than 1 vehicle in a household, regardless of how many members is very expensive and subsequently not practical, so many people local to me, only have a TL and it's their everything-mobile.

to answer heart's question, I look like puberty never hit. freakin asian genes...making me look 16...I cant even grow a beard....
so...young 30. LOL
Hahaha, baby face here too. Only reason I don't look 12 is because I can grow a full beard. I thought you're half Hispanic?

Sry before hand for errors, I drafted this quickly.

Last edited by HeartTLs; 03-13-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 PM

hahahah thats what every one confuses me as...
it's even worse cuz I live in Houston, Texas.
every one speaks spanish to me, and im like "que?!?!?"

i'm half chinese and white
CAWKasian motherfuckas! !
Old 03-14-2017, 01:04 AM
Pro

Don't know what to say SM, my 09' AT TL got well past 119 in sport mode, I believe and my 12' AT has as well, also in sport mode.

I got the RDX injectors because they're 310cc, which is more than our TL. Ideally you want your injectors working no harder than at 85% capacity during WOT. I did not upgrade my fuel pump. I've considered doing an E85 conversion, which would require a fuel pump and may other upgrades. The stock rating on TEIN SS and SA is 10k/5/k and imo it's way too soft and bouncy. Stock 4G AWD suspension is stiffer than TEIN. There are many benefits to having higher spring rates (stiffer coils) within moderation, these are a two of the benefits that appeal most to me, less body roll, less nose dive when braking. I also have EDFC but rarely use it. I set my dampening to 00/00 and forget it.

I'll step back from the role of Socrates and give you my opinion as to why I believe tires is a limiting factor, if not the only limiting factor based on the evidence. I previously pointed out that AWD/MT 4G > ANY 3G as far as measurable performance is concerned and yet MT 3G's do not have this limit in place. The AT's are limited well below 150+, they also came standard with a different tire unless equipped with A-SPEC package. I forget what was the standard tire. It's a logical conclusion that instead of allowing AT 3G's with ASPEC kit the 150+ limit, and having to go through the trouble of increasing the limiter and indicating the required higher rated tires to handle the speed Honda just said "no". How are you going to allow the car to exceed a speed that standard equipment can't handle? It's a liability. EVERY car that has a 155 limit or above has tires rated to handle those speeds. Though not every vehicle that has tires to handle those speeds has that high a limit. Lets get into subjective stuff, a handful of members gave their unsolicited opinion on driving their 4G's to or beyond 130 and the consensus is, "it was stable", I concur. Not you, nor I were part of the design team and you're certainly not an engineer so all we can do beyond tires is speculate. If you believe for a moment that Honda/Acura care about you or other motorist well being beyond what is required by State governments, Federal Governments and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, and so they limited top speed to 130, you're delusional. Reference Grimshaw v. Ford Motor Co.

Edit: Forgot to address 3rd part of your quote. The only linear "apple to apple" comparison between 3G and 4G are the AT FWD models. You cannot make an "apple to apples" comparison of top trim (performance or otherwise) between the two, due to power train.

No, since early 2016 I also own a 2014, FWD, CRV, EX-L w/ Nav that's paid for; I frickin love this thing. I can park it anywhere and with a dedicated set of winter tires, it does very well in the snow. Prior to that and still to this day, I have access to my parents vehicles which include a luxury sedan (E350), eco boxes (Yaris & Prius), a convertible (SL 550) and a small SUV (Nissan Rogue), so I'm covered. That said, due to the cost of living in NYS, particularly for people living in NYC, having more than 1 vehicle in a household, regardless of how many members is very expensive and subsequently not practical, so many people local to me, only have a TL and it's their everything-mobile.

Hahaha, baby face here too. Only reason I don't look 12 is because I can grow a full beard. I thought you're half Hispanic?

Sry before hand for errors, I drafted this quickly.
Did you had to do any modification to the injectors to fit? Or were they plug and play? And I have been looking at the RDX injectors but there rated 410cc the K series ones at least.

Last edited by CruzanTLSH-AWD; 03-14-2017 at 01:06 AM.
HeartTLs (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:13 AM
Pro

Saw it on Top Gear back in the day there ratings of the factory tires is why most Limiters in place. Japan has there lower due the the "government agreement set in place" and that why most Japan cars made over there and stay did not really pass 275hp on paper. The Accords hondata removes the speed limit and the fine print says as well.. have the proper rated tires. My Frankey Integra had it remove back in the day and trips from "Mexico" to work will see 125+ time to time 210WHP all motor. Sounds low on paper but many cars around base or in the puget sound are was not f&%king with me.
HeartTLs (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Did you had to do any modification to the injectors to fit? Or were they plug and play? And I have been looking at the RDX injectors but there rated 410cc the K series ones at least.
Thank you for catching that, it was a typo. They're 410cc. They're plug and play but you can't simply install them and be on your way. A/F ratio will be very off and your car wont perform correctly. You must be tuned for larger injectors, if you don't and continue to run them your car will run very rich and stop working altogether.

Saw it on Top Gear back in the day there ratings of the factory tires is why most Limiters in place. Japan has there lower due the the "government agreement set in place" and that why most Japan cars made over there and stay did not really pass 275hp on paper. The Accords hondata removes the speed limit and the fine print says as well.. have the proper rated tires. My Frankey Integra had it remove back in the day and trips from "Mexico" to work will see 125+ time to time 210WHP all motor. Sounds low on paper but many cars around base or in the puget sound are was not f&%king with me.
Cool, I never saw that episode, I'll have to google it. I am aware of the gentlemen's agreement Japan auto manufacturers (Toyota, Honda, Nissan), have with the government regarding HP wars. I guess no ones playing by those rules anymore. The German's (Audi, BMW, Mercedes), also have a gentlemen's agreement in place among themselves regarding top speed. They limit most their vehicles to 155 unless its a very high performance variant or unlocked through dealer options.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd be curious to see that episode... I'll throw in the towel if that's actually the case, I'm not saying tires aren't a factor, I'd just be surprised if that's the factor as I pointed out with the M-Sport package for BMW (wheels/tires, suspension, etc). Tires are obviously a part of it.

I'd still argue people don't have any business taking the TL above 130 regardless of the tires being the reason or not.

Cool, I never saw that episode, I'll have to google it. I am aware of the gentlemen's agreement Japan auto manufacturers (Toyota, Honda, Nissan), have with the government regarding HP wars. I guess no ones playing by those rules anymore. The German's (Audi, BMW, Mercedes), also have a gentlemen's agreement in place among themselves regarding top speed. They limit most their vehicles to 155 unless its a very high performance variant or unlocked through dealer options.
~280hp IIRC for the Japanese guys (NSX, Supra, GTR, STI, etc)

Not aware of the German one.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Drifting

I'd still argue people don't have any business taking the TL above 130 regardless of the tires being the reason or not.
I agree that people shouldn't for many reasons speed. Whether it's 20mph or 100mph over the limit in a TL or an S7, it can result in an undesirable and unforeseeable (to the naive) outcome due to inexperience, over estimating abilities, shitty roads, weather conditions, other motorists, etc. What I can't accept is neutering the world for optimum safety. Where would it end? 155 is too dangerous, okay what about 145? No, alright 135? No still too much? What about 70? Wait, but that's still too fast for local roads and school zones, etc. Where would it end? BTW there's a 200mph Mustang... We know how tail happy those things are out the box.

Skepticism is the foundation for healthy thought. Don't for a second believe that corporations or governments have altruistic intentions. Cost to benefit ratios are of the utmost importance when designs are brought into the boardroom. If Honda/Acura thought they could sell X amount more vehicles at X amount higher price because it would appeal to the intended market for that vehicle they would've done so. Apparently it wasn't and so they didn't. I hate to be verbose but I think it necessary to fully unpack this information. Think about cars from the 1980's... a lot of them made no where near the power modern cars do. They didn't brake as fast, tire compounds weren't as good, suspensions weren't as sophisticated, chassis weren't as rigid and safety features were nearly non existent and yet you could take your exotic, which by today's standards is on par with an accord to the limit that aerodynamics allowed.

"Today, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz limit their production cars to 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph). Certain Quattro GmbH and AMG cars, and the Mercedes/McLaren SLR is an exception. The BMW Rolls-Royces are limited to 240 kilometres per hour (149 mph). Jaguars, although British, also have a limiter, as do the Swedish Saab and Volvo on cars where it is necessary.

German manufacturers initially started the "gentlemen's agreement", electronically limiting their vehicles to a top speed of 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph),[4]
[5] since such high speeds are more likely on the Autobahn. This was done to reduce the political desire to introduce a legal speed limit.

In European markets, General Motors Europe sometimes choose to discount the agreement, meaning that certain high-powered Opel or Vauxhall cars can exceed the 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph) mark, whereas their Cadillacs do not. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Porsche, Aston Martin and Bentley also do not limit their cars, at least not to 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph). The Chrysler 300C SRT8 is limited to 270 km/h. Most Japanese domestic market vehicles are limited to only 180 kilometres per hour (112 mph) or 190 kilometres per hour (118 mph).[6] The top speed is a strong sales argument, though speeds above about 300 kilometres per hour (190 mph) are not likely reachable on public roads.

Many performance cars are limited to a speed of 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph)[7] to limit insurance costs of the vehicle, and reduce the risk of tires failing."

Last edited by HeartTLs; 03-14-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree that people shouldn't for many reasons speed. Whether it's 20mph or 100mph over the limit in a TL or an S7, it can result in an undesirable and unforeseeable (to the naive) outcome due to inexperience, over estimating abilities, shitty roads, weather conditions, other motorists, etc. What I can't accept is neutering the world for optimum safety. Where would it end? 155 is too dangerous, okay what about 145? No, alright 135? No still too much? What about 70? Wait, but that's still too fast for local roads and school zones, etc. Where would it end? BTW there's a 200mph Mustang... We know how tail happy those things are out the box.
And that's a fantastic point - however the argument I'd make is in the US the highest speed limit is 85mph per Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_..._United_States

So you would expect vehicle to be capable of at least that. I'll actually be surprised if newer cars don't integrate GPS into limiting your speed - driving through a school zone? Limit gets dropped to 30mph in a 25mph zone. As soon as you're out of it you're back up to 50mph in a 45 zone.

"Today, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz limit their production cars to 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph). Certain Quattro GmbH and AMG cars, and the Mercedes/McLaren SLR is an exception. The BMW Rolls-Royces are limited to 240 kilometres per hour (149 mph). Jaguars, although British, also have a limiter, as do the Swedish Saab and Volvo on cars where it is necessary.

German manufacturers initially started the "gentlemen's agreement", electronically limiting their vehicles to a top speed of 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph),[4]
[5] since such high speeds are more likely on the Autobahn. This was done to reduce the political desire to introduce a legal speed limit.

In European markets, General Motors Europe sometimes choose to discount the agreement, meaning that certain high-powered Opel or Vauxhall cars can exceed the 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph) mark, whereas their Cadillacs do not. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Porsche, Aston Martin and Bentley also do not limit their cars, at least not to 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph). The Chrysler 300C SRT8 is limited to 270 km/h. Most Japanese domestic market vehicles are limited to only 180 kilometres per hour (112 mph) or 190 kilometres per hour (118 mph).[6] The top speed is a strong sales argument, though speeds above about 300 kilometres per hour (190 mph) are not likely reachable on public roads.

Many performance cars are limited to a speed of 250 kilometres per hour (155 mph)[7] to limit insurance costs of the vehicle, and reduce the risk of tires failing."
Nice find on German bit, didn't know that existed. Just landed in my first German car so it hasn't really come up.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
"Transport Canada is currently pilot testing devices that try to stop drivers from breaking the speed limit. One device uses GPS technology and a digital speed limit map. When the driver passes the posted speed limit, the device makes it difficult to press the accelerator. Another GPS-based device is mounted on the dashboard. It warns drivers with a voice alarm and a light when the vehicle starts to go too fast"

Posted that bit above for " TheMuffinMan", that was taken from a transport Canada website and may soon be reality. Interesting discussion above between you and "HeartTLs".
HeartTLs (03-15-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KarKraze
"Transport Canada is currently pilot testing devices that try to stop drivers from breaking the speed limit. One device uses GPS technology and a digital speed limit map. When the driver passes the posted speed limit, the device makes it difficult to press the accelerator. Another GPS-based device is mounted on the dashboard. It warns drivers with a voice alarm and a light when the vehicle starts to go too fast"

Posted that bit above for " TheMuffinMan", that was taken from a transport Canada website and may soon be reality. Interesting discussion above between you and "HeartTLs".
I feel you guys speed limit out here is to low already.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
I feel you guys speed limit out here is to low already.
Can't say that I disagree with you. As it is most people will do 20 over the posted limit on the highways, it seems to be the acceptable norm here.

As far as Speed Limiters on vehicles, it is done for a multitude of reasons.........safety, liability and environmental comes quickly to mind.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Can't say that I disagree with you. As it is most people will do 20 over the posted limit on the highways, it seems to be the acceptable norm here.

As far as Speed Limiters on vehicles, it is done for a multitude of reasons.........safety, liability and environmental comes quickly to mind.
Around Schools, senior area, playground I can dig it. Most other places? NAWWWW...
Old 03-17-2017, 05:30 AM
Pro

Just thought I'll share.
fryrice (04-06-2017)