Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 TL-AWD Lemon? Help??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 TL-AWD Lemon? Help??

I have a 2012 TL-SHAWD Tech. My TL is been burning excessive amounts of oil since about 16,500 miles (currently I have 35,400). I have done the oil consumption test, had the engine replaced with a new short block. I continue to have excessive amounts of oil being consumed. In fact I had to return 812 miles after the replacement and then again 1,200 miles later. I am now 3,400 miles since the block was replaced and again there is no oil showing on the dipstick. I filed a lemon law case with Acura and am currently in the mediation dept, but they just keep dragging there feet. I have been keeping a personal log of when I check the oil and the level showing. On top of the oil issue I now have 2 different noises that were not present before the engine replacement. The dealership replaced the belt tensioner and said it was fixed and that the noises were no longer present. I went to pick up my car last week and I didn't even make it out of the dealership lot when both noises appeared again. I backed up and the service manger came out heard them and stated that was normal for a TL. I called bs and he tried back tracking. I immediately contacted my Acura rep. to let her know of the situation. During the phone call she could hear the noises and asked me to make audio recording for her and email them in. The dealership refuses to do anything to help, even charging me to add the oil needed to replace what's missing. In fact the service manager straight up lied to my rep. and said he heard nothing and it was fixed, and even with my statements of the depleted oil they don't even bother to check it on there own. I have to check it myself before leaving. Acura wants me to meet with a factory rep to duplicate the noises but his first availability isn't until the end of August.

Is there any other 4G TL owner experiencing the same or similar issues? Can anyone help point me in a direction to speed things up? I don't even want to drive my car anymore because I'm afraid of what's going to happen next. The engine freezing up while driving, a new issue occurs or who knows what. Anyone please help!
Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
At what point if any do you get a warning light that your oil levels are too low?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
The wife's '12 SH-AWD has about 26k on the clock and hasn't used any oil whatsoever (knock on wood). So I can't give you any help there. But what I question is whether they actually DID replace the short block? If done correctly, that should have at least changed your oil consumption - but it sounds like it's the same? Was it a new short block? Years ago I had a Mazda v6 that was loud and used a lot of oil and they replaced the short block and it stopped using oil (although the noise didn't change - design of the motor mostly). If they did the work under warranty and the behavior didn't change, I'd go the route you are. It won't be an easy path, but it sounds like the right one...
Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a TSB for excessive oil consumption? I believe theres also a thread dedicated to it, where one person suggests draining some oil yourself to excessively duplicate the issue so the dealership will listen

I have a list of TSB's for my car, 2012 awd advance, but I don't see it, so it may only be to 2011? I'm not sure
Old 08-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
At what point if any do you get a warning light that your oil levels are too low?
I never get an oil light. If anything my check engine and AWD lights will trigger. That's another part of the problem. Basically it's just me checking it every couple of days.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by andysinnh
The wife's '12 SH-AWD has about 26k on the clock and hasn't used any oil whatsoever (knock on wood). So I can't give you any help there. But what I question is whether they actually DID replace the short block? If done correctly, that should have at least changed your oil consumption - but it sounds like it's the same? Was it a new short block? Years ago I had a Mazda v6 that was loud and used a lot of oil and they replaced the short block and it stopped using oil (although the noise didn't change - design of the motor mostly). If they did the work under warranty and the behavior didn't change, I'd go the route you are. It won't be an easy path, but it sounds like the right one...
Knock on wood for you!! They said they did but it's not got any better. Worse if anything. And since the "replacement" the engine noises have begun.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SlyAccord
If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a TSB for excessive oil consumption? I believe theres also a thread dedicated to it, where one person suggests draining some oil yourself to excessively duplicate the issue so the dealership will listen

I have a list of TSB's for my car, 2012 awd advance, but I don't see it, so it may only be to 2011? I'm not sure
There's no tsb for the 2012 on oil. But one of my points that I am arguing with Acura is the 2011 tsb plus the 2011 class action lawsuit Honda lost for the same thing. Excessive oil consumption.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
what oil are you adding and how much at a time? Did the dealer replace the PCV valve or any other parts? If they replace the short block, that means that most of the engine that is causing the oil consumption issues should be taken out of play. Are you sure you don't have a leak?
Old 08-23-2015, 01:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by csmeance
what oil are you adding and how much at a time? Did the dealer replace the PCV valve or any other parts? If they replace the short block, that means that most of the engine that is causing the oil consumption issues should be taken out of play. Are you sure you don't have a leak?
The dealership is adding any oil that needs to be added. I have done none personally. I do not know of or if a pcv value has been replaced. I recently moved to WA, and the dealership in Spokane is a joke. They don't deserve to carry the Acura name yet alone sell or work on the cars. Acura just paid my entire trip to Salt Lake City (approx 750 miles, including gas, hotel, food and others because Auto Nation Acura in Spokane (who replaced the first engine) said there was no problem. Jody Wilkinson Acura of SLC did confrirm that that was a major issue but they, the master tech nor service manger can diagnose the problem. I am to meet with a factory rep on the 1st of Sept., to try and resolve this. I'm giving them a demand letter to fix or rebuy. This has been 19 months of hell. And they still can not even diagnose a problem!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Cruisin'

Any one with Oil Consumption issues look at this link.

Acura Engine Oil Consumption ? Class Action Investigation - Chimicles & Tikellis LLP