Uneven new brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uneven new brake pad wear

Hi guys.
I recently replaced my rear pads and rotors (after only 6 months) because the one rear rotor was badly worn on the inside bottom half. After removal it appeared as if part of the pad cracked off which left this area of the exposed and worn, later on recently causing grinding when the pad started to touch.

Nonetheless, I just replaced all pads and rotors again and flushed the brake fluid all around. I also replaced the caliper just to be safe. Now, oddly enough, I'm getting a similar problem- it appears as if the pad on the rear right inside side of the rotor is only touching the top half of the rotor (leaving the bottom half of the pad and rotor untouched when braking). I know this by examine both the pad and rotor. I don't want the same thing happening again so I'm wondering what would cause this?? Caliper? Pins are freshly lubricated. Everything appears great. Some people have told me to wait a little more time for the pad to even out (even though it's new).

Also, it appears as if the pad is VERY very very slightly overhanging the rotor top causing a lip. This is unrelated to my problem. Can I ignore this?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
I would give the pads a few more miles to bed in before assuming you have an issue. They take a little time to wear evenly. If you do have the exact same problem again even with a new rotor/pad/caliper, it's time to start looking into other possible issues. Bad wheel bearings can cause uneven brake wear.

Stoptech has some great information on brake bed-in theory and some great info on how to do it. I would make sure you're bedding everything in properly as well:
Stock Brake System Bed-in
Old 07-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll keep waiting but these brakes now have about 500+ miles on them and I re-checked everything - pins slide in and out pretty nicely and I installed brand new stainless steel hardware with ceramic brake grease. Everything appears nearly perfect and the other side (facing outside) of the rotor is wearing properly. I find it odd that the pad right in front of the caliper piston is causing this problem.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
When you installed the pads did you insure the rear upset nib on back side of pad aligns w/ the + slot in the caliper piston? If not, this will cause the pad to be misaligned (cocked) and will wear unevenly.

good luck
Old 07-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, to my best ability, it should be lined up. Any other ideas or are we just thinking I should keep waiting a little longer?