TCM update ruined my car-----temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
TCM update ruined my car-----temporarily

Had my car in for service a few weeks ago, and asked if there was any updates for the tranny. My car shifts just fine, but I would like the throttle to be a little more sensitive, and have less of a delay for downshifts.

They did the oil change, and also applied a TCM update which showed up in their computers. They did NOT do any kind of idle relearn which I have seen mentioned.

Picked up the car just after closing due to being stuck in traffic, and drove it straight home.

Right away, the 1-2 shifts felt like my daughter was in the backseat kicking my seat back. I immediately regretted saying anything to them about the tranny as soon as I left the dealer, and the entire way home. Called my service advisor the next day asking if they could roll back the update, and he suggested I take a ride with the tech to point out the issues.

Was going away on vacation, and had alot going on at work, and at home, so I waited to schedule my appointment.

Over the next several drives, my wife, and myself both noticed the harsher shifts, but over the span of a few days, I did feel like the shifts were getting smoother.

It took a couple of weeks, but my shifting is now back to the way it used to be. I am not sure if the issues are because the idle speed relearn wasn't done, or if it was the update itself, but if what I experienced is what some owners are experiencing on a daily basis, then I feel for you. I did not enjoy driving the car while anticipating the harsh 1-2 shift, and would try to avoid allowing the car to drop into first.

The good news I guess is that if software could cause what I experienced, then it should be able to cure it as well, they just need to crack the code. Hopefully it comes soon for those whose trannies are having issues.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 08-01-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
THis shift issue is somewhat of a mystery as to what is real and what is imaginary and the result of hyper focus. I have not received a TCM for my vehicle leased in November/14, but the shifting has improved to the point that I either don't notice anything, or the 2-3 shift is a little notched but well within acceptable range. The other shifts are buttery all the time, a fact which gets lost here. That's 5-6 buttery shifts to Lexus' 5

Seriously, I do believe the issue has been overblown to the extent that people are unnecessarily worried about long term reliability. I find it interesting that reviewers almost never mention the shifts. I also find it puzzling that there are concerns with the 8 as well. I have driven 3 TLXs and 1 ILX with that transmission and loved it!

I am also at the point of doing a rant concerning those that focus on the negative, to the point of obsession. Too many of these comments are picayune or exaggerated, or simply incorrect. I have no doubt some of the comments are based on alternative, even nefarious, agendas.
The following 4 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (08-07-2015), Gary325TLX (08-10-2015), jim256 (08-07-2015), Stew4HD (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
THis shift issue is somewhat of a mystery as to what is real and what is imaginary and the result of hyper focus. I have not received a TCM for my vehicle leased in November/14, but the shifting has improved to the point that I either don't notice anything, or the 2-3 shift is a little notched but well within acceptable range. The other shifts are buttery all the time, a fact which gets lost here. That's 5-6 buttery shifts to Lexus' 5

Seriously, I do believe the issue has been overblown to the extent that people are unnecessarily worried about long term reliability. I find it interesting that reviewers almost never mention the shifts. I also find it puzzling that there are concerns with the 8 as well. I have driven 3 TLXs and 1 ILX with that transmission and loved it!

I am also at the point of doing a rant concerning those that focus on the negative, to the point of obsession. Too many of these comments are picayune or exaggerated, or simply incorrect. I have no doubt some of the comments are based on alternative, even nefarious, agendas.
There certainly seems to be a wide variation in the performance of both these transmissions. It seems yours is a 'good' one but there are others that are certainly bad enough that owners are truly bothered by it. Some to the point of not wanting their car any longer. I think it takes a lot to get someone to that point and I don't think it is in their imagination. It is not just TLX owners that have these same complaints about the 9ZF. Plenty of Jeep owners have very similar complaints. I don't think it is mass hysteria. The bigger mystery to me is why is there so much variation from unit to unit. Makes no sense to me. I'd just be happy I had a good one. I'm hoping that some combination of software update and/or some slight mod to the 9ZF for the 2016 TLX removes the crap-shoot nature of this and you can have confidence that if you buy a TLX you don't need to fear this will crop up on your new $40K+ car.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
There certainly seems to be a wide variation in the performance of both these transmissions. It seems yours is a 'good' one but there are others that are certainly bad enough that owners are truly bothered by it. Some to the point of not wanting their car any longer. I think it takes a lot to get someone to that point and I don't think it is in their imagination. It is not just TLX owners that have these same complaints about the 9ZF. Plenty of Jeep owners have very similar complaints. I don't think it is mass hysteria. The bigger mystery to me is why is there so much variation from unit to unit. Makes no sense to me. I'd just be happy I had a good one. I'm hoping that some combination of software update and/or some slight mod to the 9ZF for the 2016 TLX removes the crap-shoot nature of this and you can have confidence that if you buy a TLX you don't need to fear this will crop up on your new $40K+ car.
I think that this is EXACTLY the point! I have test driven several TLX on test drives in which all of the shifts were as smooth as they could be, and then others that had the jerky upshift, or the very strange surge when slowing down. I would be happy with the first, but very frustrated with the second....the problem is that after you put down your $40,000 and drive home, then you find out which you have.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
They did NOT do any kind of idle relearn which I have seen mentioned.
That is almost certainly why you had the result you did, they specifiy the relearn for a reason, and I am shocked they gave the car back to you without doing it. I have had two TCM updates (the second for the recall on the slip to neutral, although I never observed that), and after each the shifting was smoother to the point 1-2 is buttery like the others and 2-3 is noticeable only when the car is cold or when I am shifting at relatively low RPMs. The higher the RPMS, the smoother the 2-3 shift is, and the lag in the downshift is almost entirely gone, as is the "surge" when it drops gears as you slow down.
The following 3 users liked this post by 9SpeedTran:
a35tl (08-07-2015), mapleloaf (08-07-2015), quantum7 (08-07-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
That is almost certainly why you had the result you did, they specifiy the relearn for a reason, and I am shocked they gave the car back to you without doing it. I have had two TCM updates (the second for the recall on the slip to neutral, although I never observed that), and after each the shifting was smoother to the point 1-2 is buttery like the others and 2-3 is noticeable only when the car is cold or when I am shifting at relatively low RPMs. The higher the RPMS, the smoother the 2-3 shift is, and the lag in the downshift is almost entirely gone, as is the "surge" when it drops gears as you slow down.
I figured as much, that's why I mentioned it. But if these kinds of things can cause the rough shifting, then they should be able to iron things out for those who have shifting issues. Hopefully the latest update fixes things for everyone.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I figured as much, that's why I mentioned it. But if these kinds of things can cause the rough shifting, then they should be able to iron things out for those who have shifting issues. Hopefully the latest update fixes things for everyone.
Amen to that. I hope yours smooths out in the very near future! :-)
Old 08-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Passer of Gas

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts