New Owner! TLX SH-AWD Advance

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
New Owner! TLX SH-AWD Advance

Hey everyone! I have owned a 2001 Acura TL since I was 16 and just graduated college at 23 and have completely upgraded my ride to this beautiful 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Advance Graphite Grey Luster with Ebony interior. I will be getting window tint, spoiler, and aero kit within 2 months and I will post actual photos of my ride then!

Coming from a 2nd gen TL my dad owns a 4th gen 2009 TL and I always planned on inherting it when I graduated and he got a new car, but I ended up splurging and getting the new ride for myself. I plan on keeping it 15 years or 250K or so.

My 2 cents: I LOVE IT. I obviously got it fully loaded since I really wanted adaptive cruise control so for that reason got the advance package and love it! With the Lane Keep Assist its a blast for highway driving. I drove it 30 miles in traffic flow changing to about 50mph-75mph without ever touching the gas or brake! People have complained about the dual screens, but I love them and found it helpful once you understood it. I never had a problem with the 4th gen button crazy center stack but like the new approach better.

Would I do it again! Of course. Absolulty no buyers remorse here. This is everything I ever wanted in a car and more!

Thing I really think the TLX needs to be a PERFECT car Some things that I have noticed kind of make me question Acura's engineers:
1) Heads up display. While I have never cared for it as a feature before, the little screen on the instrument cluster gives some great visual effects like navigation turns and such, and poor thing is its just out of sight if your staring at the road, if whatever info is there was used in a HUD that would be pretty nice
2) Folding mirrors. I think its unnecessary, but cool to add effects. Stupid enough its available in the Canadian version but not US
3) A better backup camera. Its not that bad, but its just not up to par for a $40,000+ car.
5) Remote start is kinda pointless. Since I have the advance package, i have remote start. the ONLY thing it does it turn the engine on and put the temperature to 70 degrees. NOTHING more and NOTHING less. (Cant use the radio, nothing, all the screens are still black inside and headlights are still off). I understand why they did this but not my personal preference Also, the remote start is only available on Driver 1 remote, not even the other key fob, its $200 more to get another remote with that button
6) Spare tire. Do I need to say I am furious I paid nearly $400 more for a spare tire!
7) LED turn signals. The rear tail lights and brake lights are super bright and look really cool, but both the front/rear turn signals are kinda bleh and not so bright compared to new BMWs and such.

Overall LOVE the car. Real photos will come in a month or 2 when I have the aero kit installed.
The following 5 users liked this post by spoiler900:
2011TL (08-04-2015), 9SpeedTran (08-04-2015), ATXTLX (08-04-2015), mapleloaf (08-06-2015), Stew4HD (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiler900
Thing I really think the TLX needs to be a PERFECT car Some things that I have noticed kind of make me question Acura's engineers:
1) Heads up display. While I have never cared for it as a feature before, the little screen on the instrument cluster gives some great visual effects like navigation turns and such, and poor thing is its just out of sight if your staring at the road, if whatever info is there was used in a HUD that would be pretty nice
2) Folding mirrors. I think its unnecessary, but cool to add effects. Stupid enough its available in the Canadian version but not US
3) A better backup camera. Its not that bad, but its just not up to par for a $40,000+ car.
5) Remote start is kinda pointless. Since I have the advance package, i have remote start. the ONLY thing it does it turn the engine on and put the temperature to 70 degrees. NOTHING more and NOTHING less. (Cant use the radio, nothing, all the screens are still black inside and headlights are still off). I understand why they did this but not my personal preference Also, the remote start is only available on Driver 1 remote, not even the other key fob, its $200 more to get another remote with that button
6) Spare tire. Do I need to say I am furious I paid nearly $400 more for a spare tire!
7) LED turn signals. The rear tail lights and brake lights are super bright and look really cool, but both the front/rear turn signals are kinda bleh and not so bright compared to new BMWs and such.

Overall LOVE the car. Real photos will come in a month or 2 when I have the aero kit installed.
Welcome to the TLX family! I'm glad you like your car and I have to admit that I love everything about mine too.

The list you mentioned is a common thing among new owners and I'll agree that some things could have been added to make the car a little better, but it would add cost and then it loses some of the price appeal.

1. Would be nice, I agree this is the biggie that I'd have liked as well.
2. Not necessary, IMO, and it's just another set of motors to potentially fail.
3. This has been beaten to death, and I agree the quality is poor, but it still shows me what's behind me so I'm OK with it.
4. Did I miss it or did you?
5. Not sure where you live, but I LOVE this feature and I would have paid extra to get it. In the winter it's A MUST on cold days and in the summer it's nice to get the cooling started. I agree that both fobs should start it though.
6. Again, it's been discussed a lot, but it's a common theme now with manufacturers and some members really don't want one anyway. I did buy the option and the peace of mind is worth it to me.
7. Agree. It seems strange that every light on the car is LED except the backup lights and turn signals, but it's easy enough to replace.

Glad you like your car and hopefully you'll continue to have a trouble free experience.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 08-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Agreed - both Fobs should be remote start on Adv model.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
That is a negotiation item with the dealer. Canadian models come with 2 full remotes that can remote start. US seems to come with 1 full remote and one regular.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Nice color choice... My wife saw one of those after we had signed the papers for ours, and she was like "oooh PRETTY" and I said, not too late... but she wanted the BWP. :-)
Old 08-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
Agreed - both Fobs should be remote start on Adv model.
Today while I had my wife's TLX in for service I asked about a second remote start remote - $169. The price for Acura was probably $42 so why shouldn't they include on Adv model? Probably will be a MMC inclusion.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
Welcome to the TLX family! I'm glad you like your car and I have to admit that I love everything about mine too.

The list you mentioned is a common thing among new owners and I'll agree that some things could have been added to make the car a little better, but it would add cost and then it loses some of the price appeal.

1. Would be nice, I agree this is the biggie that I'd have liked as well.
2. Not necessary, IMO, and it's just another set of motors to potentially fail.
3. This has been beaten to death, and I agree the quality is poor, but it still shows me what's behind me so I'm OK with it.
4. Did I miss it or did you?
5. Not sure where you live, but I LOVE this feature and I would have paid extra to get it. In the winter it's A MUST on cold days and in the summer it's nice to get the cooling started. I agree that both fobs should start it though.
6. Again, it's been discussed a lot, but it's a common theme now with manufacturers and some members really don't want one anyway. I did buy the option and the peace of mind is worth it to me.
7. Agree. It seems strange that every light on the car is LED except the backup lights and turn signals, but it's easy enough to replace.

Glad you like your car and hopefully you'll continue to have a trouble free experience.
LOL @ #4. Totally missed that in the original post. Great catch.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Ok fine, here is Number 4: Processing speed on everything is SOOOOO SLLOOOOWWW. Whether I am giving it a voice command of a full address to put in, or even going through the nob button like clicking on "phone" or "info" and highlighting something is sometimes a solid 4 or 5 second delay. While I like to call this a "First World Problem", it is a little annoying, just need to be patient

A couple random questions..

-For advance owners, every time I hit the "auto" button my cooled seats come on. I read its just "automatically" doing temperature and seat heaters/coolers depending on temperature. Only way I figured around this is I have to hit the "on/off" button to use the AC vs just hitting "auto", is that the only way or something I am missing

- Real time weather? I know the 4th gen TL offered weather with the live traffic but did they get rid of that? I honestly dont care about it but my dad who has a 4th gen TL dried to look for it and we couldnt figure it out. Did they remove that for the TLX?

Another annoying thing I noticed.
- Using both "Brake Hold" and "Auto start/stop" (SH-AWD only) at a red light. Normally, without the brake hold on, the car usually will restart itself as I am taking my foot off the brake and is usually on ready to go by the time I move my foot the accelerator. Problem when using both is the auto start/stop will not turn on until my foot starts hitting the accelerator pedal since the brake hold is doing its thing, which gives a solid second delay and kinda jerks the car a bit do to the effect. Just something I gotta get used to.

- My car tires squeal when going around corners fast. I thought that with Acuras new SH-AWD it wouldnt squeal the tires. Maybe its still holding its feet pretty well but just surprised about the tire squeaks.

Other then this I LOVE THIS CAR. Its my dream car and is amazing coming from my high school car of my 2001 TL.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:29 AM
Racer

For advance owners, every time I hit the "auto" button my cooled seats come on. I read its just "automatically" doing temperature and seat heaters/coolers depending on temperature. Only way I figured around this is I have to hit the "on/off" button to use the AC vs just hitting "auto", is that the only way or something I am missing

Another annoying thing I noticed.
- Using both "Brake Hold" and "Auto start/stop" (SH-AWD only) at a red light. Normally, without the brake hold on, the car usually will restart itself as I am taking my foot off the brake and is usually on ready to go by the time I move my foot the accelerator. Problem when using both is the auto start/stop will not turn on until my foot starts hitting the accelerator pedal since the brake hold is doing its thing, which gives a solid second delay and kinda jerks the car a bit do to the effect. Just something I gotta get used to.

- My car tires squeal when going around corners fast. I thought that with Acuras new SH-AWD it wouldnt squeal the tires. Maybe its still holding its feet pretty well but just surprised about the tire squeaks.
I'm not entirely sure about the other questions, but I'll try to help shed some light on these:

In settings you can have your climate control set to AUTO and that way it will turn the seats on any setting necessary to maintain a comfortable level. In the winter it will turn the heat on maybe all 3 levels and sometimes only 1, and in the summer the same thing only with cooling. I just leave it on AUTO and it does just fine for me.

The brake hold and auto start are 2 of my favorite features actually and it's a very simple solution to your problem. If you just nudge the steering wheel as the light is getting ready to go from red to green it will be started and ready to roll when it does change. It only takes about a second, but if you anticipate it by watching the opposite direction lights you can get pretty accurate. Hitting the gas pedal, taking your foot off the brake and just a minor turn of the steering wheel will all resume the auto start feature.

The tires are probably a limitation of the OEM brand. I changed my 18" Goodyear to 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they are almost impossible to break loose. The car handles as well or better than any car I've owned and I've had some great handling cars in the past.

Hope this helps you with your concerns.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
spoiler900 (08-05-2015), Stew4HD (08-05-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the above post ^. If anyone knows about the climate control seats and where the setting is please chime in because I cant find it. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
The seat coolers come on even if the A/C is off. Press the seat icon on the touch screen to turn off the auto setting.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Right, but my problem is even if they are off the second i hit "auto" both the AC comes on and seat coolers. Oh well, they are actually growing on me im beginning to like them
Old 08-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Right, but my problem is even if they are off the second i hit "auto" both the AC comes on and seat coolers. Oh well, they are actually growing on me im beginning to like them
The physical Auto button will always reset all HVAC settings to automatic control. Think of it as shortcut to get everything back to default. But if you just wanted to turn off the seat cooling, you don't need to hit the Auto button later on because the remaining HVAC settings are still auto controlled.

However, I've found the auto logic for the seat cooling (and warming during the winter) to be quite good and I've left it on auto.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:57 AM
Racer

I think you need to go into the settings for only the heat and select the Auto function. That's what I did and the seats and the HVAC (for that matter) keep the interior at a comfortable level.

Here's the page out of the manual that shows how to select the AUTO setting for the heat ventilation:
Attached Thumbnails New Owner!  TLX SH-AWD Advance-automatic-seat-h_v.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the diagram and I get all that, I can turn the seat coolers off, but the second I hit the "auto" button they come back on. I just want sometimes the AC to be "auto" and not the seats...oh well, first world problem
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for the diagram and I get all that, I can turn the seat coolers off, but the second I hit the "auto" button they come back on. I just want sometimes the AC to be "auto" and not the seats...oh well, first world problem
After resetting the HVAC to default using the physical Auto button, if you turn off the seats your AC is still auto. If you look at the AC touch button carefully, when it is manual mode the AC text is beside a small image of a LED indicating whether it is on or off. However, when the AC is in auto mode, that LED disappears.

But now that you mention it, I've also realized that once the AC is set to manual control, there doesn't seem a way to get it back to auto without hitting the physical Auto button and resetting the other settings.

Fortunately, I've found that the logic for seat cooling and warming is quite good and I've been fine with leaving it on auto.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
congrats on the new car, Do you have any student loans?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Racer

There are actually (3) separate settings for the entire HVAC the Driver's seat and the Passenger's seat.

If you touch the driver's seat button on the touchscreen it will open a menu and that's where I have the AUTO set to on. Touch the passenger's seat button on the touchscreen and it will have it's own menu as well. The main HVAC setting is a dedicated button just below the touchscreen.

I'm not sure if you have each of the seats set to AUTO in their touchscreen menus, but that's how I have mine set and I never have to hit any other buttons to keep everything nice.

You may want to check and see if you have your seat menus set up that way. Hope this helps.